YesNoOk

Capcom Fighting Heroes - Brainstorming Thread (Read 66117 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, February 15, 2021, 11:47:59 pm
Capcom Fighting Heroes - Brainstorming Thread
New #1  February 15, 2021, 11:47:59 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK

Q: What is Capcom Fighting Heroes?
    A:
    Capcom Fighting Heroes, formerly Capcom Heroines, is a concept featuring a small but diverse roster from Capcom's various video game stables, from the popular such as Street Fighter to the niche such as Power Stone. Inspired by Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars and others, the concept is intended to mesh aspects of serious and casual fighters, creating something enjoyable yet accessable, and combine mechanics from classic Capcom fare with new concepts.

Q: Talk me through the gameplay.
    A:
    The following base gameplay has been decided.
    • 5 buttons overall. Four for attacks, onefor special abilities.
    • Fifth button will serve either as a "Unique Ability" or as the "Surge" mechanic (name tentaive), which has both offensive and defensive uses.
    • Combo progression runs on typical Marvel/Darkstalkers lines: LP > LK > HP > HK. Gameplay is essentially "Marvel-lite", featuring a toned-down version of similar gameplay that still provides flash without leaving room for "touch of death" or "infinte" situations. Launcher will be a universal DF + HP command.
    • Classic 3-tiered Super Gauge. Characters will either have two Super Combos and one Level 3 Hyper Combo, or two Super Combos with enhanced "Surge" versions.
    • Movement will consist of dashes instead of runs. Super jumps and short hops are also available.
    • "Easy Combo" on LP, akin to MvCI/KoF XIV.
    • Advancing Guard and Guard Crush. A Guard Bar will be used as a resource.
    • "Rage Ultra" mechanic inspired by Tekken 7, SvC Chaos and Mortal Kombat 11.
    Q: Talk about the roster already!
    A:
    The roster will mostly consist of around 15 or so characters. Characters are picked based on various factors, including popularity, overall roster diversity and what the character will bring to the roster. The main factor, however, is sprite availability and potential expense to create new assets for.

The list below is a tentative roster based on these factors. Characters in Bold are possible, characters in italic are tentative based on resources, and characters in plain text are mad pipe dreams that require new sprites/voices.
    • Ryu (Street Fighter)
    • Chun-Li (Street Fighter II)
    • Karin or Rainbow Mika (Street Fighter Alpha)
    • [Gill (Street Fighter III)
    • Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
    • Posion (FInal Fight) OR Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
    • Strider Hiryu (Strider)
    • Batsu
    • Morrigan OR Jedah (Darkstalkers)
    • Mega Man (Mega Man Classic) OR Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends) OR Zero (Mega Man X)
    • Saki (Quiz Nanairo Dreams) OR Fiona (Haunting Ground)
    • Tessa OR Mai Ling (Red Earth)
    • Captain Commando (Captain Commando) OR Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins)
    • Rouge (Power Stone)
    • ??? (Guest Character)
    Note that this current roster is tentative and subject to change. In addition some characters will play differently from common interpretation - for example, Tron might play as a Zangief/Haggar-style grappler. Additional characters will be added via updates - the eventual goal is to reach around 20-23 fighters, the same as Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution.

The final boss is currently under consideration, with twopossible choices:
    • Ingrid (Capcom Fighting Jam)
    • Original character requiring new sprites/voice acting.

Q: What's this "Surge" thing, then?
    A:
    "Surge" is the tentative name for a possible mechanic tied to the fifth button. It serves as both an offensive and defensive tool, and requires at least 1 level of meter to use. Here are some of the tentative ideas for the mechanic:
    • Surge: Execute any special move while also pressing the Surge button to perform an EX move. Alteratively, press the Surge Button to charge your next special move.
    • Surge Cancel: During a combo. press the Surge button to cancel your current normal, command or special move into a standing state.
    • Surge Dash Cancel: During a combo, press Surge + F to cancel your current normal, command or special move into a dash, resetting the juggle counter and extending your combo.
    • Surge Escape: Press Surge + B to cancel the current normal, command or special move into a backward dash to avoid potential punishment.
    • Surge Counter: When blocking/if taking damage, press Surge + F to perform a reversal attack and escape. Different from the Advancing Guard in that it puts opponents into a knockdown state.
    • Surge Reversal: Just as your opponent's attack is about to connect, press Surge + B to perform a dodge. You can then press any attack button to perform a followup counterattack.
    Obviously, not all of these mechanics would be implemented if Surge was decided upon. The fine details will be nailed down once an actual character is developed.

Q: And what are "Rage Ultras"?
    A:
    "Rage Ultras" are a concept I've been toying with for a long time, both in single character releases and in this game. Essentially, the Rage Ultra is akin to the Rage Art in Tekken 7, the Exceed Super in SvC Chaos and the Fatal Blow in Mortal Kombat 11. The concept of the "Rage Ultra" is tied into the story of the game - as the Eclipse Bomb draws out the energy of the characters in battle, it threatens to overwhelm them and send them into a blind frenzy.

When a character's life is less than a third or so, they will begin to flash red as they enter a "Rage" state. In this state, all attacks (except for Supers) will gain a very small damage bonus, the percentage of which depends on that character. By inputting a universal command, they will perform a powerful attack - if this connects, the character will perform a highly-damaging "Rage Ultra". If the character should KO with the Rage Ultra, special effects and music will activate. Whiffing the Rage Ultra, however, will leave the attacker open for a duration that can be easily punished.

Rage Ultras do not require meter, and if the Ultra is whiffed or blocked, the player will be able to use it again after a short cooldown period (6-8 seconds). However, if the person successfuly lands the Rage Ultra, they will not be able to use another one for the rest of the round.

Q: Got an actual story for this one?
    A:
    I do have something rather tentative, actually. Based on the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars, it runs something like this:

"A strange event known as the Eclipse Wave suddenly sweeps the World of Capcom, causing the powers of many famous fighting heroes to fluctuate wildly. Shortly afterwards, a mysterious figure sends a broadcast across the world, announcing that they have obtained the experimental Laughter Sun and Weeping Moon - a twin device that derives power from the fighting energy of strong warriors. Believing that the abundance of powerful fighters has upset 'The Cosmic Harmony of the World', the perpetrator intends to detonate the 'Eclipse Bomb' in order to restore balance to the planet. In response, Capcom's Fighting Heroes (and some villains, too!) set out to find and disarm the Eclipse Bomb to prevent the disastrous consequences of its detonation."

Like most things, this is subject to change in the fine details.

Q: Anything else?
    A:
    I'm making an open call to people who might be interested in helping me with this. I mostly require people willing to test and upgrade characters, given my own lack of knowledge when it comes to programming, as well as a screenpack designer/creator to help flesh out concepts and bring them to life. If push should come to shove, I will try to commission people to create new sprite animations/voice acting for certain characters who aren't up to snuff.

That's about all I've got. Leave feedback/suggestions as you wish. Keep in mind that there's still a lot that could change, so I'm open to mostly anything. :)

Spoiler: Concept Screenpack Stuff (click to see content)
    [/list]
    Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 10:52:08 pm by Steel Komodo
    Re: Capcom Heroines - Brainstorming Thread (V2)
    #2  February 16, 2021, 12:05:42 am
    • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
    Nice!! I'll be taking a look to this!!

Also, I may be wrong, but I'd swear I saw an Amaterasu for mugen.
    I swear there was something cool here!!
    #3  February 16, 2021, 12:25:02 am
      • UK
    I did as well. But the sprites aren’t that great - it’s obvious that various bits were rotated fo simulate movement, and it doesn’t look that great. I’d use them in a pinch, but if I had the cash I’d commission somebody to touch them up and get them up to snuff.

On the subject of sprites, anyone know what happened to Li Kun’s Rouge? That one seems to have completely vanished, which is a shame - I’d love ro get my hands on those sprites, if only so I didn’t have to commission them myself :P
    #4  February 16, 2021, 12:52:08 am
    • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
    • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
      • USA
    On the subject of sprites, anyone know what happened to Li Kun’s Rouge? That one seems to have completely vanished, which is a shame - I’d love ro get my hands on those sprites, if only so I didn’t have to commission them myself :P

Private I’m afraid. It’s locked to the unreleased Capcom All Stars full game and as such is not available for anyone to use until that game releases. ;-;
    #5  February 16, 2021, 01:41:29 am
      • UK
    Private I’m afraid. It’s locked to the unreleased Capcom All Stars full game and as such is not available for anyone to use until that game releases. ;-;

Ah, damn. Guess I’m saving up to commission somebody in the future, then. :(

Anyway, I’ll probably start working on a template in Fighter Factory some time this week. Then I’ll start working on Morrigan - who, sadly, is probably the closest to a shoto we’re gonna get in this game. She’ll be the character I’ll use to flesh out the base gameplay, including all the minutiae of combo style, defensive techniques etc.

Watch this space for more info.

DW

#6  February 16, 2021, 02:41:08 pm
      • USA
      • www.trinitymugen.net
    Replace her with Gladia's Michelle Heart. I'm honestly surprised you don't have her here for this. Did you do all this SP concepts yourself? It looks very nice. Very aesthetically pleasing, easy on the eyes. Seeing that Revelations render of Jill makes me sad there isn't actually a sprite set with her in that attire. :(   
    #7  February 16, 2021, 06:33:19 pm
      • UK
    Replace her with Gladia's Michelle Heart. I'm honestly surprised you don't have her here for this. Did you do all this SP concepts yourself? It looks very nice. Very aesthetically pleasing, easy on the eyes. Seeing that Revelations render of Jill makes me sad there isn't actually a sprite set with her in that attire. :(

But Power Stone, though! D: Also, I’m a little worried that Michelle might end up overlapping with Saki in terms of “gun girl”. In all honestly, looking at the roster, I worry there might be a bit of overlap with some characters in how I envision them - Fiona and Roll, for instance, if they end up being the characters that use assists a lot, as well as Jill, Saki and Michelle for weapon-based zoners.

Also, I don’t know who Michelle Heart is or what she does. So there’s that.

Yeah, I did those myself. Still not quite sure about some details, but thanks :)
    #8  February 16, 2021, 06:35:37 pm
      • USA
    But Power Stone, though! D: Also, I’m a little worried that Michelle might end up overlapping with Saki in terms of “gun girl”. In all honestly, looking at the roster, I worry there might be a bit of overlap with some characters in how I envision them - Fiona and Roll, for instance, if they end up being the characters that use assists a lot, as well as Jill, Saki and Michelle for weapon-based zoners.

Also, I don’t know who Michelle Heart is or what she does. So there’s that.

Yeah, I did those myself. Still not quite sure about some details, but thanks :)

Michelle Heart was the protag of Legendary Wings, an old Capcom shoot em up. She was also an assist in MVC1. So there's that. :P

Unfortunately Rouge isn't realizable at the moment. While I support some Power Stone love, it's just not possible right now and won't be for a while. ;-;
    #9  February 16, 2021, 07:19:47 pm
      • UK
    Having looked up footage of Michelle Heart, I think she's too close to Saki in overall concept, since she shares a similar gimmick of "large gun" and "can switch different types of ammo". I'll probably stick with Rouge and commission somebody to do the sprites. Which might end up meaning there's two Rouge's in MUGEN, but hey, watcha gonna do. :P

Of course, there's also Julia or Ayame from the same franchise. Depends on what I think the roster needs.
    #10  February 16, 2021, 07:25:56 pm
    • Character Not Unlocked ~
      • Norway
      • Skype - crap-zapper
    You could always do a "Terry", quick spriting Edward into a female edition.  :yaoming:
    Previously known as;
    Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
    The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
    #11  February 16, 2021, 07:54:15 pm
    • A.K.A. NED
    • I like to draw fighting game characters...
    Interesting concept.
    New sprited characters will definitely make this game more "unique"
    And I really like the SP. Consistent, not too crazy, looks very "professional"
    #12  February 16, 2021, 07:56:03 pm
    • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
    Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
    #13  February 16, 2021, 09:45:31 pm
      • UK
    Since we're discussing characters, any ideas for villainous characters that I could use? Juri's obvious, but there's no decent sprites of her out there, and SFV's Seth would require entirely new sprites. I was thinking Decapre, but I don't know much about her - does she qualify as evil?

By the way, thanks to all the kind words about my screenpack concepts. I'm not much of a graphic designer, so I just went with my gut instincts on what I felt would look best for this kind of game. Glad to see it get a good response :)
    #14  February 16, 2021, 09:50:19 pm
      • USA
    I mean Chuchoryu's Juri sprites aren't that bad, they're pretty decent and I've seen them used effectively with a few versions of her. I wouldn't completely knock her off yet.

Additionally Decapre... I don't know much about her either but she could be a sub-boss. She still technically is under Shadaloo's control (at least during SFIV cause she was the only doll left behind by Vega in his Alpha 3 ending). She's not, like, full villain though.

And the visual stuff looks great! You've knocked it out of the park IMO. :D
    #15  February 16, 2021, 10:26:37 pm
    • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
    • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
    #16  February 17, 2021, 12:00:06 am
    • The Forsaken Warrior
    • Let us grieve existence, together.
      • Mexico
    For characters I think Tessa from Red Earth or Pure The Mage from Adventure Quiz: Capcom World 2 would be decent "witch character" additions and good replacement for Rouge at the moment.

For villain characters you could use Devilotte from Cyberbots, Ton Pooh from Strider and Juri from SFIV who I don't considerate a villain but more of an anti-heroine.
    #17  February 17, 2021, 01:18:13 am
    • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
    • 23 years of Mugen O_o
      • Brazil
      • www.brazilmugenteam.com
    Oh, nice work on the screenpack.
    #18  February 17, 2021, 01:48:21 am
    • Every day is night
      • Brazil
      • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
    I'd personally drop both Roll and Amaterasu, since Roll is tiny and Amaterasu is, well, a dog.

For characters I think Tessa from Red Earth or Pure The Mage from Adventure Quiz: Capcom World 2 would be decent "witch character" additions and good replacement for Rouge at the moment.

Both would be very good picks.
    #19  February 17, 2021, 01:50:27 am
      • USA
    I'd personally drop both Roll and Amaterasu, since Roll is tiny and Amaterasu is, well, a dog.

I disagree, I'd say they add diversity among the roster.

This game would be pretty boring if everyone was just a tall human waifu lol (with the exception of Tron Bonne)

DW

#20  February 17, 2021, 04:20:56 pm
      • USA
      • www.trinitymugen.net
    You could always do a "Terry", quick spriting Edward into a female edition.  :yaoming:

How about Chris or Leon? They'll do fine!

I actually suggested to Steel that he could have the normal male Terry & Iori sprites with the female SNK Heroines voices once.
    ...At least, i think it was Steel, Terry, & Iori. I can't remember the exact thing, it was a long time ago.

Honestly, I hope these are all just really bad jokes, and not serious suggestions... Moving along...

Those Juri sprites are usuable. They're not amazing or anything, but it's true they are not terrible. They could hold place for the most part, if later you'd be willing to commission them to get refined. Decapre could be nice. I had recently fixed up tJun's version SFF. Was think about CS'ing her as well. Gladia has made a lot of custom girls that could be in here as mentioned. Like Pure & Fur and Ton Pooh. I feel Tessa would be nice, though her sprite sets will clash pretty hard with CvS/CPS2 sets that you are using. CPS2 can sorta "mesh" with CvS, given the right aspect ratio and palette. Cammy and Guile are ones that blend really nicely.

Tessa only has the SNK and CPS3(?) sets. I think Red Earth used CPS3. The SF3 style, with bigger more fluid sprites/animations. Being that this is a full game, I think you should be aiming for consistency. Not just with gameplay, but aesthetics as well. She'd stick out pretty bad with either set. How about Ruby Heart?  I always liked her and she's pretty much doomed to be MvC2 exclusive.

As for Roll, since you're willing to do commission, you may want to consider this: https://mugenguild.com/forum/boardseen./topics/new-roll-sprite-sheet-capcom-universe--192454.msg2501344.html#new

I'd be willing to pitch in with the commission as well. The guy there mentions an incomplete sheet. If you could acquire said sheet, and depending how much is done, it could end up reducing the price a fair amount. I...may be willing to help with coding... My interest in Mugen has been waning to say the least. However, this peaks my interest. If nothing else, I could test and provide feedback. We'll see.
    Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:38:39 pm by DW
    #21  February 17, 2021, 04:38:56 pm
      • UK

For villain characters you could use Devilotte from Cyberbots, Ton Pooh from Strider and Juri from SFIV who I don't considerate a villain but more of an anti-heroine.

I honestly forgot that Red Earth existed :P. I’ll definitely consider it - my only real concern would be trying to avoid as many “shotos” as I can, otherwise the roster is gonna get a bit redundant. Also, isn’t Sean already using Pure and Fur in CvtW? Just thinking about avoiding confusion or accusations of ripping off, is all.

Devilotte’s an interesting option. She might work as Tron’s rival or something. Don’t know much about Ton Pooh, i’ll have to look her up. Juri’s been mentioned a couple of times, and apparently Chuchoryu’s sprites aren’t awful? I’ll take a look at her and see what I think.

You joke, but I was considering Female!Terry from SNK Heroines as the guest character. Unfortunately, no sprites of her exist and also her voice actor is atrocious, IMO. So after that, Mai was the only logical choice,

I couldn’t in good conscience leave Roll out. She’s right there on the logo, and also she’s one of Capcom’s biggest female stars. Dropping her would feel kinda sacrilegious. I wouldn’t feel as bad dropping Amaterasu since she doesn’t quite have the same status, but then the roster would lose a fair bit of diversity, since then it would all be tall women and girls.

Oh, nice work on the screenpack.

Thanks! It’s all just mockups at the moment, but I’m hoping to find someone willing to throw it all together at some point :D

How about Ruby Heart?  I always liked her and she's pretty much doomed to be MvC2 exclusive.

As for Roll, since you're willing to do commission, you may want to consider this: https://mugenguild.com/forum/boardseen./topics/new-roll-sprite-sheet-capcom-universe--192454.msg2501344.html#new

I'd be willing to pitch in with the commission as well. The guy there mentions an incomplete sheet. If you could acquire said sheet, and depending how much is done, it could end up reducing the price a fair amount. I...may be willing to help with coding... My interest in Mugen has been waning to say the least. However, this peaks my interest. If nothing else, I could test and provide feedback. We'll see.

I did see that topic, and I think it’s pretty close to what I want. If I can find the sheet, maybe we can start talking at some point. I’m also kind of in talks with somebody to try and get Rouge sprited, but I’m also half-considering asking Beximus if I can use the sprites, since he’s apparently also using them for Capcom Universe. I don’t want to blow more money on this than I can help if possible.

Ruby Heart’s an interesting idea, but I don’t know much about her or her gameplay. I’ll give her a look, but I can’t guarantee that I’lo be totally enthused for her.

Anyway, I’ve got some further information to drop in a few hours. Mostly gameplay decisions and fluff, but I think it’s still worth talking about. Stay tuned for partial excitement.
    Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:43:21 pm by Steel Komodo
    #22  February 17, 2021, 04:46:34 pm
      • Mexico
    Amaterasu sprites exist, but so far the set is only basic movements and a few normals as far as I can tell. Still, it's a start. Maybe the set can be completed or used the way it currently exists after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9xUP8KvWHc

DW

#23  February 17, 2021, 04:49:27 pm
      • USA
      • www.trinitymugen.net
    If you really want a "female" Terry, you could use Alice instead of Mai. While Mai is my baby and all, I'm gonna be unbiased and give suggestions based on what you want. I saw Alice had a good CvS set and she's essentially a female Terry.
    #24  February 17, 2021, 06:59:19 pm
      • UK
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I think Mai kind of has more star power, so I'm probably gonna stick with her :P

-------

Okay, time to talk about stuff.

Firstly, I'm in talks with somebody to try and get a VS-style sprite sheet of Rouge commissioned. It's going to cost a lot, but we're discussing our options. The current plan is for us to pay half each a month to get at least one or two animations, but we're also considering getting help from the community, either through crowdfunding or sprite submission to reduce the overall cost of development. I'm also aware that Beximus may or may not have the sprites for Li Kun's Rouge, since she's apparently appearing in Capcom Universe - I've asked him to clarify if he has, and wherever he'd be willing to share those sprites for the project or not. If he is, that'd cut down on costs considerably.

Once I'm aware of where things stand, I'll let you all know what's happening.  It may be that Rouge may have to get dropped from the roster if things become untenable, but I'm hoping it may not come to that - this is one character I'm willing to see in MUGEN in one form or another.

Secondly, this is some decisions on gameplay and roster.
    • I won't be going ahead with the Hearts of Power system. As much as I love the concept, I'm not skilled enough to code something like that and I'm pretty sure it would be a nightmare to balance. Instead, I'll be giving each character a Blazblue-style Unique Ability. Unlike CvTW, however, this won't be tied to an extra meter.
    • With the removal of the Hearts of Power, the name of the game will change from Capcom Heroines: Clash of Hearts to Capcom Heroines: Hyper Fighting Frenzy. Since the original title was a reference to the Hearts of Power, it doesn't make sense to keep that subtitle without the major gimmick. The story of the game will also change.
    • Heart Surges will now be replaced by one of two possible options when your life is less than half. Frenzy Mode is a Pandora-style boost in power, while the Hyper Combo is a last-ditch desperation attack akin to the Exceed in SVC Chaos.
    • I've decided to go for the MvC-esque gameplay rather than trying to ground the game to an unneccesary degree. It'll be heavily reduced from ost "Hyper Fighting" games, but a lot of similar concepts - air combos, wall bounces etc. - will remain.
    • I'm debating as to wherever to put an "Easy Combo" feature on LP akin to MvCI. Discuss.
    • I'm also wondering wherever to drop the universal Launcher button. The reason I put it there was because I have a nasty habit of holding down on the control stick during air combos and thus accidentally ending them when I don't want to. But if this isn't a problem that most people experience, I'll shift it to, say, DF + HP and remove the Launcher, making this a 5-button game.
    • There's been a lot of good character suggestions on here, but I'm very hesitant to add them because I don't want the roster to grow much bigger than 10-12 at the moment. While I may tweak it at points, that's as big as I want to get, and unless I change my mind about having the guest character, I might not be able to please anyone. Maybe some characters will appear in an update, I don't know.
    • As hilarious a concept as it is, Miss XYZ will have to go. The sub-boss will either end up being Ingrid, Decapre or Juri. Juri might end up playable, I don't know.
    • I think I've seen some half-decent sprites of Delta Red Cammy in CVS style. Can anyone confirm that for me?
    • Even after I said what I said about Roll, I'm considering dropping her for the moment. Her tiny sprite size might cause problems unless I do some scaling tricks or shell out for updated sprites and I'm already going to be throwing a fair amount of money at Rouge.
    • Should Jill go? Or Saki? I feel like these two overlap a fair bit due to being "gun girl" archetypes, and while Saki does a lot of different things, I don't want people to complain the roster is nothing but gun-focused characters.
    • I wanna try using MUGENHook to implement a few neat screenpack tricks, like animated characters on the select screen, character portraits sliding in on the VS screen etc.

I'll probably start work on that template this weekend. It's been a long while since I've touched fighter factory, so I'm gonna need time to refamilarize myself with it.
    #25  February 17, 2021, 10:13:12 pm
      • UK
    Apologies for double-posting, but I think I have a solid roster now, give or take. I appreciate the suggestions made by people here, but those characters will most likely held back for a hypothetical Super Capcom Heroines or what have you.

• Chun-Li (Street Fighter II)
    • Cammy (Street Fighter II) OR Juri (Street Fighter IV)
    • Maki (Final Fight 3)
    • Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
    • Tiffany Lords (Rival Schools)
    • Saki (Quiz Nanairo Dreams)
    • Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)
    • Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) OR Fiona Belli (Haunting Ground)
    • Tessa (Red Earth)
    • Rouge (Power Stone)
    • Mai Shiranui (Guest Fighter - Fatal Fury 2)

The final boss will either be Ingrid (Capcom Fighting Jam) or an original character I'm tentatively calling Azure Heart, but the latter is unlikely.

Also, here's a list of potential Unique Abilities

• Chun-Li: Focus Attack
    • Cammy: Axel Spin Knuckle/Juri: Kasuhatsushu
    • Maki: Reppukyaku
    • Morrigan: Dark Force OR Flight
    • Tiffany: Tardy Counter
    • Saki: Ammo Change
    • Tron: Beacon Bomb
    • Jill: Evasive Manouvers/Fiona: Go, Hewie!
    • Tessa: Ultimate Guard
    • Rouge: Item Toss
    • Mai Shiranui: Dodge/Roll

DW

#26  February 18, 2021, 03:17:11 pm
      • USA
      • www.trinitymugen.net
    • There's been a lot of good character suggestions on here, but I'm very hesitant to add them because I don't want the roster to grow much bigger than 10-12 at the moment. While I may tweak it at points, that's as big as I want to get, and unless I change my mind about having the guest character, I might not be able to please anyone. Maybe some characters will appear in an update, I don't know.

That's fine and smart. My suggestions are based on availability, in coherence with what you were aiming for. I'm not suggesting characters that are pipe dreams.

• I think I've seen some half-decent sprites of Delta Red Cammy in CVS style. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Meh... They are not CvS. They are just her Alpha sprites edited with the Delta Red outfit. Those were made by Chuchoryu as well. They look odd to me imo, especially the stance. I personally would just use the Killer Bee ones, though up to you. A quick search should yield you results.

• Should Jill go? Or Saki? I feel like these two overlap a fair bit due to being "gun girl" archetypes, and while Saki does a lot of different things, I don't want people to complain the roster is nothing but gun-focused characters.

These chars are not the same archtype. Jill is NOT a keep away/zoning char. She's more opportunistic/rushdown. Her main source of damage is getting in close for combos and supers, though she uses helpers to assist with approach. Saki is a pure zoning char. Her close combat is only meant to get foes off of her so she can go back to blasting away.

Don't get them confused just because they both use "guns". You had a point with Michelle Heart =/= Saki. They do both play the same role, albeit M.Heart has better mobility. Though Jill and Saki are not the same.
    #27  February 19, 2021, 09:11:03 pm
      • UK
    Good news, everyone!

I've managed to secure two partners who are willing to help me fund the development of Rouge's sprites I'm not giving away any details yet, but suffice to say that it's going to make commissioning them a lot easier, since the cost is split between three people. With that out of the way, we're also looking for two other backers to help complete Rouge, and that means I'm basically putting out an open call here.

While any monetary donations would be welcomed, we're also looking for spriters/artists who can do CPS2/VS style in case the main guy we're commissioning isn't available. Share samples of the work you've done and I'll talk it over with the others. In the meantime, I'll be doing my thing and working on Morrigan and other characters as I get the time and chance.

So if anyone's interested, do let me know! :)
    #28  March 15, 2021, 09:18:00 pm
      • UK
    Quick update - I'm pleased to announce that no1wammy is the major backer of making sprites for Rouge! He'll be posting progress at some point in the Sprite Projects thread, so keep an eye out for when he does!

As for progress on my end, it's... slow.  I'm back in the office, which means I've got less time to work on the template for the system. If I ever get the time to make any decent progress, I'll let you all know. Until then, stay tuned.
    #29  March 21, 2021, 02:35:20 am
      • UK
    This is going to be a bit tough for me to announce. Mostly because I know there’s people on here who were looking forward to this idea. But I feel it’s something that needs to be said now or it’ll never happen.

I was talking with one of the backers of Rouge on Discord about my general worries with the Capcom Heroines project. And they said something that made sense the more I thought about it and really put everything into perspective. The fact of the matter is, a lot of my frustrations with this project come from me essentially forcing myself to do something different. The weird mechanics, the all-female roster, the odd character choices... it was all me trying to be different for the sake of it, and biting off more than I could chew as a result. New sprites, new voice acting... It was all too much. And all of it born from a desire to not be “just another MvC project”.

Also, too many waifus :P

So I’m changing things up a bit. I’m not going to stop trying to develop for MUGEN - I still want to do that. But I’m not going to do it just because I want to be different and innovative. I want to make something that I actually enjoy making. Something where I’m not stressing out over expenses for anything or making everything match up in an aesthetic sense. And while I’ll be keeping the base gameplay (with some tweaks), the focus won’t be on the all-female roster or nightmarish-to-code grooves/abilities.

Capcom Heroines is dead. Long live...

Stay tuned for further announcements.
    Re: Capcom Fighting Heroes - Brainstorming Thread
    #30  March 21, 2021, 01:39:01 pm
      • UK
    UPDATE: First post updated with new details.

I just want to clarify that the project isn't stopping. The template I'm working on is still valid for this, as it has the same base gameplay. I'll still be working on Morrigan (because frankly she's more interesting than Ryu to me right now :P) and, again, will announce her when I have something to show.
    #31  March 21, 2021, 05:41:34 pm
      • Mexico
      • https://nestor-2099.github.io/gamedev/

Rouge is still a work in progress by Li_Kun AFAIK, you can talk about her with him, he's pretty cool with his work overall. Like with CFAS, life's getting in our way to work a bit more with MUGEN, but Li is very diligent with his work and is always doing his best to finish all his projects, I'm positive we'll see Rouge finished in the future.

Good luck Komodo, hope to see more of this project soon!
    #32  March 21, 2021, 05:46:06 pm
      • USA

Rouge is still a work in progress by Li_Kun AFAIK, you can talk about her with him, he's pretty cool with his work overall. Like with CFAS, life's getting in our way to work a bit more with MUGEN, but Li is very diligent with his work and is always doing his best to finish all his projects, I'm positive we'll see Rouge finished in the future.

Good luck Komodo, hope to see more of this project soon!

I’m actually helping Steel back new Rouge sprites so it’s all good. Either way, good to know we’re all still working hard!
    #33  March 21, 2021, 05:51:40 pm
      • Mexico
    The more, the merrier; the best luck with this project guys!
    #34  March 21, 2021, 07:05:58 pm
      • UK
    Thanks for the words, Nestor! Glad to hear from you! :D

Do you know anywhere where I might be able to contact Li_Kun, if not on here? I'm still going to be helping to back the other Rouge sprites I mentioned, but if he does get Rouge finished in the near future, then I might switch to the sprites he made for them instead.
    #35  March 21, 2021, 08:57:57 pm
      • Mexico
    I think the best way to contact him is through PM here, he's registered on IMT too, but has kept most of his spriting devlog here.
    #36  March 21, 2021, 09:46:33 pm
    Like you're working alone, you need to develop an easy system to standardize all the chars, if the project is very complex, probably you won't get finishing it.

I used to create a template for just adding in every char with same mechanic, it will economize time a lot.

Good luck in your new journey.
    Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:46:37 pm by Mazemerald.
    #37  March 21, 2021, 09:56:20 pm
      • UK
    Thanks to all for the kind words. I promise to do my best and not let you all down this time :)

Also, got a new lifebar concept here. This was originally for a CvS project I was mulling over, but when I switched over to this I changed them up a bit. The CvS influence is still there, but I hope you all like my own spin on it.

#38  April 03, 2021, 12:08:50 am
      • UK
    Got some announcements to make in here:

1. I'm probably going to be ditching the concept of Rage Ultras. As much as I've wanted to include a mechanic like this. I don't really know if such a thing would fit a Capcom-stye game, especially with the other changes I'm considering making, and I don't know if I'll be able to conceptualize Rage Ultras for every character in the roster. Discuss.

2. I've decided that the fifth button will work akin to the V-Skills and V-Reversals of Street Fighter V. I'm also adding a new offensive ability to the button - a forward dash that works akin to Roman Cancels, resetting the juggle counter for the cost of one bar.

3. Got one more lifebar concept for you all.

Taking a break over Easter to try and figure out the roster and mechanics a bit more. Then, since I have the week off, I'm going to try and focus on getting the character template properly done so I can work on a character for real.
    #39  April 05, 2021, 03:34:28 pm
      • UK
    Okay, so... huge apologies for the lack of progress to report. The fact is, I'm still feeling indecisive about some of the major mechanics for this game, as well as the roster. This isn't something I can put into a poll, so I'm just going to make an open call for advice on this one.

Also putting things in spoilers because otherwise this post is going to be huge.

Spoiler: Problem #1: Mechanics (click to see content)

Spoiler: Problem #2: Roster (click to see content)

Any amount of feedback/suggestions would be of big help to me right now. I feel like I'm so close to getting this perfect, but there's always that insidious second thought that makes me second-guess myself, and it's really starting to frustrate me.
    Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:40:31 pm by Steel Komodo
    #40  April 26, 2021, 09:09:55 pm
      • UK
    Just some small updates so people know I'm not dead.
    • I'm currently dealing with a bunch of other creative/personal commitments at the moment, as well as dealing with being back in the office. So I've had to basically put CFH on hold until they get done, or until at least I've cut down the pile to be more managable. That said, it's given me time to consider the mechanics/roster a bit more.
    • The roster, aside from about one or two gaps, is pretty much decided upon now. I'm not gonna reveal anything until later, when I can get back onto this topic. Suffice to say, it's not the most creative roster in the world, but I'll deal with complaints and make changes when I reveal it for real.
    • Hero Powers have been changed up significantly. They now work like the Magic system from Them's Fightin' Herds, with each character having unique abilities and ways to use the Hero Meter. This will be elaborated on when I return and make more headway.

Keep an eye out here, I'll post something when I get back to work on this.