YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 2974262 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#7321  August 13, 2022, 12:37:15 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Man that’s awesome, you should do a full set.lol Just wishful thinking.lol You guys rock, I can only draw stick fighter’s sadly.lol
#7322  September 01, 2022, 03:40:21 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Man that’s awesome, you should do a full set.lol Just wishful thinking.lol You guys rock, I can only draw stick fighter’s sadly.lol

Sorry for the late reply, Solidus Snake.
Making this single sprite of Kimberly already gave me nightmares :D Character models in modern fighting games are geting more complex and converting all the details to cvs sized sprites is like going through hell.  I don't even want to think of making full sheet lol.
Thanks, man!

----------------------------------
Time for Juri!

Juri Han SF6
#7323  September 24, 2022, 08:46:47 pm
    • USA
Hey guys. It has been awhile since my last post on the thread. To start, I have been studying anatomy lately and trying to practice that with CvS style.

Down here I have a frame of Kim's far D or Heavy Kick with the KOF13 version as well. Along with it is a conversion done by Krahus and the final image is my edit over his conversion with what I hope is "proper" anatomy.

KOF

KOF XIII

Krahus Conversion

My Conversion

Also, I would like some help trying to get the shading for the folds right. I have been looking at Kim's CvS sprites to get an idea of lighting and shading based on the position of the front and back leg, but I don't think I have it down yet. All feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

#7324  September 26, 2022, 12:47:33 am
    • Argentina
Hi, just a random question:

It is true that the CVS sprites only use 16 colors for the palette?

Amazing work btw
#7325  September 26, 2022, 11:55:14 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

Amazing work btw

15+transparent I think.

But this is optimization "historic" reason.

I feel it ok if a CVS sprite have nearly 20 colors for better result.
And when we talk about CS sprites the amount of colors can be increased.
#7326  September 26, 2022, 07:32:28 pm
    • Argentina
Wow, I saw this thead and I really can't wait to have my PC back so I can practice some spritework, I have some ideas I want to put in practice
#7327  September 27, 2022, 08:10:29 pm
    • Argentina
So I tried to make a King Kobra Sprite

I used both Ryu and Geese sprites to help me out
#7328  September 28, 2022, 03:39:38 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
That's pretty solid work
#7329  September 28, 2022, 03:44:18 am
    • Argentina
Thanks, Im just doing some sprites to see if I can improve in some aspects, and also I can make my own weird ideas into practice

For example, you know what would have been cool? Having Tom, Alex master/adoptive father, as a playable character at some point:

#7330  September 30, 2022, 01:58:38 am
  • The Modern Mystical Ninja
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc
    • sites.google.com/view/ganbarelucifermugensite/
So I decided to revamp some sprites now that Magical Drop VI got announced.

Popoi with extended colors and new design Daughter Strength.
"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#7331  October 11, 2022, 01:23:32 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

If you want to be faithful to the source material than yes. CVS games used 16-bit graphics and sprites could use just one bit of information for a single color. It technically givess 15 colors + alpha channel (transparency).

But when you make sprites just for fun it's not that important.
Most people find this limitation as obsolete, that's why a lot of mugen characters have color separated sprites, that allow more interesting palettes.

Also modern fighting game characters, with their detailed models and colorful designs make it really hard to keep the palette limited only to 16 colors. I guess in some cases it's almost impossible.

Kimberly from SF6 I made a while ago is a good example. Limiting the color count to 15 was a nightmare and I'm still not happy with the final outcome.

For that exact reason my SF6 Ken has 29 colors and I'm not even trying to make it any less :P

#7332  October 13, 2022, 04:25:17 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Most people find this limitation as obsolete

While that IS true on a technical level, I feel that even on an artistic level there's still a bit of merit to keeping the 15-color limit since having too many colors can also affect the overall "feel" of the sprite. To me certain sprites simply stop looking CVS-ish if there's too much color/detail in them, even if the shading technique is spot-on.

There's also an argument to be made for limitations bringing out the best in design. I find KOF XIV/XV characters to be over-designed. Sylvie and Shun'Ei being prime examples of everything that can go wrong when you design something without any sense of restraint.

It's almost as if the color limitations kept all of the character designs cohesive, no matter how much the designers pushed against the hardware limitations.
#7333  October 14, 2022, 12:13:55 am
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
#7334  October 25, 2022, 06:38:34 pm
    • Argentina
So I tried to make Franco Bash

#7335  October 25, 2022, 06:59:29 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
So I tried to make Franco Bash

I like the idea
I like the colors.

Everything else needs some work.

You almost "destroyed "his arm and shoulder definition. and many clothes details are lost.
Perhaps you can be closer to the source sprite for these elements.

Source Franco Bash have some of the best muscle definition ever made in a fighting game stance.
He deserves to have a good CVS one I think.

Your King Kobra sprite is pretty good.

Only need some work on back of head, back of neck + arm band size.
Would be good to have him as a real character !
Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:03:12 pm by Momotaro
#7336  October 28, 2022, 08:06:19 pm
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc

"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#7337  October 29, 2022, 11:56:38 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina

Torso looks nice (albeit highly stylized). The legs need a lot of work, tho. They lack a lot of the same definition the top part has (I’m guessing that’s the part you edited?). I would go through an anatomy book and exaggerate everything you see there so that it matches the top a bit better.

Last but not least, it’s not really CVS shading. Looks more like a Samsho sprite or one of those Chinese/Korean fighting games with really good sprites.
#7338  October 30, 2022, 12:21:26 am
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc

Torso looks nice (albeit highly stylized). The legs need a lot of work, tho. They lack a lot of the same definition the top part has (I’m guessing that’s the part you edited?). I would go through an anatomy book and exaggerate everything you see there so that it matches the top a bit better.

Last but not least, it’s not really CVS shading. Looks more like a Samsho sprite or one of those Chinese/Korean fighting games with really good sprites.

I know, I couldn't find a proper Samsho/Garou/Noise Factory/Non-KOF SNK style thread, so I used this one.

Also the leg was hard to edit because PIM Shinjuro had a strange size with TONS of colors.

#7339  November 07, 2022, 12:12:56 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

Blanka and Edmond Honda in their SF6 outfits.
#7340  November 07, 2022, 06:45:56 pm