YesNoOk

Balthazar's stuff (Read 416201 times)

Started by Balthazar, August 19, 2011, 11:02:45 am
Balthazar's stuff
#1  August 19, 2011, 11:02:45 am
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I thought it was about time I made one of these, I'll be placing my stuff here, so enjoy ;) Shown here is pretty much from new to old.

So I registered for a PayPal account...I guess I could make some commissions too!
but I'd like to start off by doing single sprites only, for 5 Euro's. (5 EUR = 6.36 USD )
This is the price for a 'medium' sized sprite, as the ones shown below...
larger characters like Broly and Li Shenlong would cost some more, 7 Euros for now.

The styles I'm most familair with are SF3-ish and CvS-ish, you'll know by now but here are some examples:

SF3-ish
CvS-ish

I'd prefer commissions from surtain series, like Dragonball, Street Fighter and Tekken...
I've a lame history of doing requests from chars from series I'm not familiair with.
If your request is from a to-me-unknown series at least bring some good base imagery.
Everything can be discussed ofcourse.

I'll take just 1 commission this week to start things off slowly ;)

Post here or PM me to talk things over.
My paypal is linked to my Gmail account
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
If you don't want me to do commissions you are ofcourse always free to donate
for my intensive work on Goku and Vegeta. But write 'donation/contribution for a poor artist'.
I don't want to get in trouble :P

Hope this gets the ball rolling a little...
Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:38:14 pm by Balthazar
Re: Balthazar's Sprite Thread
#2  August 19, 2011, 12:31:33 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
The thing i like most about what you do is you do a lot of full animations. Most people do a sprite and forget about anything else.

Like the KFM and the Leonardo especially.

Dare you to do Demona from gargoyles.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  August 19, 2011, 04:49:57 pm
  • "Draw Pilgrim" or something.
    • USA
Damn, that's fantastic. I love that Kazuya sprite.
#4  August 19, 2011, 06:53:19 pm
    • Netherlands
Oh I almost forgot these
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#5  August 19, 2011, 07:55:53 pm
  • MFG's Slowest Character Editor
    • USA
I was wondering when (or if) you were going to create your own thread. All of your work is awesome. But, I especially love those Ryu animations. SFA/SFZ Ryu never looked so good.  :tipshat:
#6  August 20, 2011, 01:04:04 am
  • Coder and Voice Actor
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/thisisgir
I'm loving the Dragonball Evolution Goku
#7  August 20, 2011, 03:14:06 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Stellar, as usual. :)
#8  August 20, 2011, 05:41:22 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I wish you'd make that sweet EX-style Tatsu animation for CVS Ken, I would totally use that in Capcom vs The World to differentiate Ryu and Ken further. This isn't a request or anything, just a statement.  ;D Awesome work as always.

Download Last Bout now!
#9  August 20, 2011, 05:46:11 am
    • USA
You should do sprites with Perfect Cell. I want to see how you do it.  :)
Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:50:46 am by Hurricane2s
#10  August 20, 2011, 12:26:51 pm
    • Netherlands
@Sean

I could try that, but my cvs might be a bit rusty :P Any takers XD?
#11  August 20, 2011, 12:59:02 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I was wondering, are you able to edit kicking sprites for a character which does not kick? I see you like TMNT, did you edited anything about them or even did TMNT sprites from scratch?
-Toshio Tenma
#12  August 20, 2011, 02:01:25 pm
    • Netherlands
The only TMNT sprite i ever did from scratch (or at all, really), is the Leonardo you see on top.
#13  August 20, 2011, 02:44:01 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
-Toshio Tenma
#14  August 20, 2011, 03:56:07 pm
    • USA
That Scott Pilgrim sprite looks nice.
#15  August 27, 2011, 02:28:24 pm
    • Netherlands
#16  August 27, 2011, 05:45:36 pm
  • Finally learning how to code mugen. Wish me luck
Broly, the 3rd urien/gill brother in training lol

My none Mugen Project: One Piece Tag Battle
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=510722
#17  August 27, 2011, 08:49:31 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Is Broly really that fucking huge...?
#18  August 27, 2011, 09:06:36 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Believe it or not yeah. Check him out in Legendary Super Saiyan form in Budokai 3. He's effing gigantic.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#19  August 28, 2011, 01:11:52 pm
  • Yo mama got caught givin up neck in a bathroom
He's probably 9 feet tall in that form, while he's 7 feet and some inches when normal/super sayan.
#20  August 28, 2011, 04:10:48 pm
    • Netherlands
Tried my hand at a Street Fighter 3-styled Jin Kazama (Tekken 3 appearance).

I've kept a sort of progress log; so I wanted to share that. A sort of tutorial perhaps, this might be useful to you if you're learning to sprite!
This is Street Fighter 3-styled though, but the bases for other styles are there as well ;)

Get your base and scale it to the desired size.

What i can recommend is to go to Photoshop and colorize/desaturate your base image, so it makes tracing easier. SeanAlty says he blacks it out, that works too, but not really recommended if you're still learning, or if it's not really necessary.

Trace your base image. For Goku and just usually overall, I use different colors (such as vibrant greens and blues) to trace the seperate parts of body and clothing, but all black works as well, just don't get tangled up with all the lines and have a reference image of who/what you're spriting to see what goes where.

Now remove all the colors that are NOT your baselines. I use Gif Movie Gear to pick all the transparancy colors, but other programs work too, or even do it by hand. But that is lame and a waste of time.

You can now fill in all the seperate parts with simple colors, just to have some differencation. I usually use the color that eventually becomes the lightest color for the lit parts.

Here starts the difficult/fun part. Here you decide your lightsource, and place all your shadows (and drop shadows if that's what you're going for, think KOF XII).
Since I'm going for SF3 styling here, I used desaturated colors for the shaded parts (I already finished the hair and the belt at this state, since it were the smallest parts, and hair is pretty fun too usually!).

Now that the shaded colors are placed, it's time to start refining your sprite. Now you can place the darkest shade for you lit parts (I'm finishing the lit parts now and work on the shaded parts later on). In SF3, usually these are also along the edges of the lit parts. Some inner detailing is also applied with this shade. This shade is usually all the way along the edge of the shaded parts, which allows for a smoothing look (color blending).

We continue with the refining by adding a slightly lighter shade (lighter then the previous, but still darker then the first placed lit color). Some of these colors also appear on the edges of the lit parts (where the skin is the roundest/catches the most sunlight). Remember, shading is not just ment for color blending, but can also make edges appear rounder, or create a sense of thickness, when necessairy.

Now it's time to fill in the darkest edges of the lit parts, such as muscle definition and layering. This color is darker then the one from #7 (but still vibrant).

For skin, I usually apply an EVEN darker, but still vibrant, color, for even more refinement and clearer definition. Here, I did just that.

Now the lit parts are done (or if you want you can apply some very light colors, for reflections, but I've not done that here. This is mostly done for bald/large(fat) persons, or robots(metal objects). So, it's time to color the edges of the SHADED parts. Choose a dark, but desaturated color here.

'
Now you pick a lighter color then the one from #11, and add color to where a little more definition is needed. In SF3, I've seen the shaded parts usually have less colors then the lit parts, so we're gonna leave them at 3, as it is now.

Here you can fix some errors if you find some, or just edits parts that seem a little off. Finishing up!

Now you can go to Photoshop, remove the background and then go to Mode > Indexed Color, then choose Mode > Color Table, you can play with your colors a little, and refine these if needed. Depending on your color seperation, you can then play with the colors to make different palettes. Hope this was useful ;)

Here's the entire progress in animated gif form;