YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17386794 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2541  April 22, 2021, 04:01:47 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Not so much for future confirmation discussion, rather just stumbled upon Brandon Yates, one of the guys who does Death Battle's music tracks, YouTube page for Death Battle songs I guess they shot down after forgetting he has such a channel.  It's a shame because there's some they must have considered that I hadn't thought of before that would make rather interesting episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBrandonMYates/featured

I wonder what goes on behind the scenes that makes them choose not to go ahead with episodes on new franchises of interest, sometimes?  I can understand something being too niche like if they wanted, say, Angel Cop or Bubblegum Crisis or even Battle Angel Alita versus something (Alita would probably scoot by after the Hollywood adaptation, would be a good match-up with Samus Aran thinking on it on numerous connections albeit not the obvious cyberpunk one), but then they got Evangelion's Asuka versus Darling in the Franx's Zero Two concept music.  I haven't even watched probably more than a minute of the latter but I know its essentially Eva's spiritual successor and fairly popular.  And Evangelion's not showing up yet is mildly surprising.  Granted, it took them nearly 10 years to get to a singular Sailor Moon episode they mulled over for 5.

That said some of his choices are weird.  Some obvious joke matches but considering DB did Chuck Norris vs Segata Sanchiro previously, not completely out of place.  Undyne versus Bandana Waddle Dee though?  Undyne is clearly best paired with Steven Universe's Pearl, and she's better off with Revolutionary Girl Utena.  Isn't Waddle Dee Kirby's size also, like, an inch tall?

Actually, now that I look further into it...

So hey, they're not even all shot down examples.
Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:09:37 am by Long John Killer
#2542  April 26, 2021, 11:25:56 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Bland

#2543  April 27, 2021, 02:54:34 am
    • USA
I don't wish to harp on it too much, it's just the show's style, but that 3D animation that RWBY's got going is just so unappealing.  Their bird example was like watching an Ico cutscene still in development.

Pretty much all new information to me, down to apparently she's a catgirl.  If that weapon transforms and separates into so many smaller pieces, my gut says logically it must shatter super-easy by its connections.  But then anime so it probably doesn't, eh?  Something something Dust superpowers increase durability to beyond titanium levels while remaining lightweight.  The aura breaking at the comparatively non-lethal encounter around the 2 minute mark makes me assume its actual usage varies over the show.  But then I'm also left to compare to similar level Yang's episode where she can withstand Tifa's continental-destroying Limit Break....but that's also one of their top debatably wrong episodes in DB's whole series so hard to use it as sound evidence.
#2544  April 28, 2021, 11:01:42 pm
    • USA
Mikasa es su casa.

#2545  April 28, 2021, 11:44:42 pm
    • USA
The comments on that one claim somewhat recently Mikasa apparently can just carry some full sets of steel train tracks around effortlessly.  That's....very superhuman of her.  Like, I assume she would be just by nature of animated content and the nature of AoT's foes, but that's beyond Captain America levels, possibly?  I was vaguely aware some point after the first arc she became prime example muscle girl but I didn't think they made a stat jump that large as well.  Like, that's probably implying she can lift and toss a Titan off its balance at ground level without her special gear.

I'm gonna assume this is a one-off oversight like the Pokemon anime's occasional occurrences in its decades long run with Ash carrying the 2200 lbs Cosmoem effortlessly or ripping a tree out of the ground and tossing it for no good reason other than cartoonish comedy.
#2546  April 29, 2021, 08:48:20 am
    • Mexico
I hope Mikasa gets wrecked if only because the ending of the SnK manga sucked. Call me petty if you want but that's life
#2547  May 03, 2021, 08:13:06 pm
    • USA

Meh.

Nice they included the train track thing in the list but then didn't actually include it.  I'm filing this one under "Nah, mate".  Dropping the whole multi-generational experience thing due to maybe some tanks in RWBY are more durable than regular Titans, don't buy it.  Especially having being outsmarted being her downfall.  That transforming sword should have broken multiple times in the fight before Mikasa lost all hers.

Next is....Po.  From Kung Fu Panda.  Versus Marvel's Iron Fist.

I really don't get their season theming this year.  I get this upcoming match-up and all, it's not that, but they wanted this 10 year anniversary to be all full of large, impactful match-ups largely involved and related to this series and team as a whole.  I can't recall anyone asking for Po versus Iron Fist seriously.  Did Torrian, their old animator, move on to work with Dreamworks or something?  I don't recall them ever being big Iron Fist fans, were caught up in kicking the Netflix show while it was down like the rest of the internet.

It's not a terrible match-up, I'm just dumbfounded how this relates as important to Death Battle as a whole.  I'm left to guess it's just one of the team's dream matches that hasn't been brought up.
Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:16:22 pm by Long John Killer
#2548  May 03, 2021, 08:51:17 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbbcwk0tyPs[/youtube]
I can't recall anyone asking for Po versus Iron Fist seriously.
Quick search engine shows this matchup has been talked about for years at some forums so I wouldn't say it's so random and weird.

That being said, also dunno much about these two.

this 10 year anniversary to be all full of large, impactful match-ups largely involved and related to this series and team as a whole.
So what you are saying is to look forward to "Ultra Instinct Goku vs Superman III: Why Can't I Beat Thee?".  Very nice.
#2549  May 03, 2021, 09:20:58 pm
    • USA
I mean hell, you joke, I'd be fine if they actually got it somewhat better than the last two.  No one who actually likes either of the two should reach the end finding that's accurate for either of them.  Certainly no one should be believing Superman is equivalent to all universes ever or that you'd need an endless spirit bomb to best him.  If they do better and Supes still wins, sure, fine, whatever.  Those last two just.....were not good representations of either of them.  From information given to presentation to the actual fights to them breaking their own rules.  The second one was especially annoying jumping the gun on Super Saiyan God and Blue in that we don't know what they are, but we'll just assume it's not stronger than Goku before.  I mean, they based Blue's strength off a joke answer, come on.

And I wasn't looking into other forums, but yes, my bad in that case, I meant specifically with the DB cast's discussions of what they get asked to do, not just anyone's random "Who Would Win?" thread.  I've never heard of it in their podcasts I think ever?  Maybe in one of their cases of throwing the question to the audience at the end of their podcasts that they pull out of a random Twitch feed.
#2550  May 04, 2021, 12:01:21 am
    • USA
God, please no more Goku.  The discourse surrounding him is always so fucking toxic.   

On a more positive note, I am 100% on board for this next fight.  Kung Fu Panda in Death Battle, let's go.  This show's a lot more fun when they go goofy with it, because it doesn't end with a buttload of salty-ass nerds/weebs/weebnerds throwing a bitch fit.
#2551  May 04, 2021, 12:13:31 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Considering I'm not even remotely knowledgeable about either RWBY or Attack on Titan, this match felt sort of one sided.. I mean, Blake had all of these advantages, it comes to no surprise to me that she would have won that fight.

As for the next fight - I can only assume that they wanted a kung fu battle, but this was the one that came up. I don't see how Po can handle anything Iron Fist throws at him at all.
#2552  May 04, 2021, 01:14:46 am
    • USA
Admittedly I've only ever seen KFP 1 and none of the sequels or spin-offs, but two things I remember about Po that will probably come up as being important is that 1) his fat panda physiology makes him more or less invulnerable to any nerve or pressure point based attacks, and 2) he has what is basically an instant one-hit kill move with that finger hold thing he did at the very end of the movie.  He literally just flexes his pinky and causes an explosion several miles in diameter.  I can't imagine DB wouldn't drag that out to its logical conclusion.
#2553  May 04, 2021, 03:51:02 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
That is true, his weight does prevent nerve holds or pressure point based attacks. That is definitely something they'll bring up.

Looking up my usual source for a character (TV Tropes), there's quite a few things about Po that would help here..

-His style of kung fu could trip up some more seasoned practitioners because it looks like he's screwing around.
-In the second movie, he achieved Inner Peace... which taught him how to basically deflect cannon balls from ships.
-In the third movie, he achieved Spiritual Balance, which grants him the ability to manipulate chi. This was used to defeat Kai in the Spirit Realm.
#2554  May 04, 2021, 06:22:12 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Blake vs Mikasa was actually animated pretty nicely. No shock that they once again let their franchise IP win.
#2555  May 04, 2021, 10:13:59 am
  • Was it something I said?

That is true, his weight does prevent nerve holds or pressure point based attacks. That is definitely something they'll bring up.

Looking up my usual source for a character (TV Tropes), there's quite a few things about Po that would help here..

-His style of kung fu could trip up some more seasoned practitioners because it looks like he's screwing around.
-In the second movie, he achieved Inner Peace... which taught him how to basically deflect cannon balls from ships.
-In the third movie, he achieved Spiritual Balance, which grants him the ability to manipulate chi. This was used to defeat Kai in the Spirit Realm.

Po also has the ability to figure out techniques by viewing it once, or figuring it out for himself (the Wuxi Finger Hold as an example).

I'm gonna assume they're gonna bring in the Nickelodeon series as well. For the top of my head, he has:
-Learned many new styles, techniques include freezing your opponent in place (entire body), blinding opponents with a clap (though, in the process, he blinded himself since he didn't close his eyes), created fireballs through chi, created a mini black hole (though he needed a member of another Furious 5 to do it).
-Went through time through the use of time seeds (though I doubt they'll use that in his arsenal.)
-Has the Hero's Chi, which is a power given from to the universe to Oogway, and then to Po which helped him defeat Ke-Pa, a giant dragon and his demon army.

Also, there's a series called The Paws of Destiny, which I wasn't aware of. Gotta watch that.

As for Iron Fist.... I only know him from Marvel vs Capcom, never bothered to watch that Netflix one due to hearing bad things about it.
#2556  May 06, 2021, 10:08:28 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Blake vs Mikasa was actually animated pretty nicely. No shock that they once again let their franchise IP win.
We're just going to pretend Weiss vs Mitsuru never happened.
#2557  May 06, 2021, 05:12:37 pm
    • Mexico
I'd say Danny can still one-shot Po with a good chi-filled punch though. Would come down to if he can get it or not I think.
#2558  May 07, 2021, 12:07:52 am
    • USA
We're just going to pretend Weiss vs Mitsuru never happened.
While I'm inclined to think there's SOME sort of IP favoritism and/or willful ignorance screwage going on with Yang vs Tifa, I don't think off the bat they were outright doing this last episode just to promote RWBY winning. (Though as I say that Facebook gives me an ad from Rooster Teeth to come see RWBY in the latest Death Battle so eh....)  I contest it with the facts given, but I also don't want to know any more on RWBY than I already do and haven't finished AoT so I'm not going to be all up in arms about it.

Weiss and Mitsuru however does still feel like a bizarre pity win made explicitly in response to Yang vs Tifa.  It wasn't even a fight, it was a zero percent chance possibility of Weiss winning because they had a much more niche opponent who was Weiss times 2 with full immunity to everything they did.  Even then though it was oddly soft on Weiss' death, compared to....well, just about ever single other 3D animated episode.   I mean, did you see the latest episode's complete disservice to Mikasa?

I'm not going to pretend they have some stupid grand conspiracy or something, but their RWBY episodes are always, I dunno, off to some degree.
#2559  May 07, 2021, 01:04:45 am
    • USA
I mean, having no horse in the race whatsoever it seems pretty clear cut to me what's gonna happen when you put someone with superpowers and magic against someone without either.  You could probably say it was a bad matchup from the start but I don't think their conclusion was faulty.

Weiss vs Mitsuru to me feels more like the characters just matched thematically so perfectly that the matchup was decided on the concept alone before the actual skill comparison revealed it to be a one-sided sweep.
#2560  May 07, 2021, 01:28:41 am
    • USA
That's an oversimplification I'm not too fond of though.  That's, like.....Harry Potter versus Superman.  Does Harry have an inordinate amount of spells and tricks and cantrips more than Superman does?  Yes.  Does he have such a trick that provides the means of killing Superman?  Sure does.

Does that prevent Supes' exceedingly more direct "Punch you in the jaw fast and hard enough until you atomize out of existence" from being the more likely outcome?

I'm still left to believe in this last episode's case Mikasa is much stronger and faster, questioning things left out on her end and embellished on Blake's end, and in her direct approach that her issue would have been the opponent's magic nonsense.  Add on the apparent impossible level of experience and knowledge then....yeah.

But it's whatever at this point.

It occurs to me after writing all that down I was just describing speedblitzing.  So yeah, that's the issue that comes to mind.
Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:35:58 am by Long John Killer