YesNoOk

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus (Read 1404976 times)

Started by Umezono, February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#61  March 01, 2021, 02:27:28 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
It is definitely overrated how difficult Cynthia is. The amount of content before Cynthia makes it very easy to overlevel and you literally just need to carry a coverage move for Garchomp so it couldn't set up (ideally by making her waste time on healing).

To give Gen 4 credit, Platinum ups the difficulty curve to a significant degree both in terms of late and postgame. But the idea it sticks out as a particularly difficult game is really cause a lot of people grew up with gen 4 back when they didn't know as much as they did, and she's tough to beginners. I really don't think she's capable of sweeping unless your team is totally toploaded into one or two pokemon countered by Garchomp or Lucario.

Honestly Gen 3 was harder to me, and to its credit, the Elite 4 and RR episode in Sun and Moon/USUM were on the tougher side as well if you didn't use experience share.

That's fair enough -- personally I still find Gen 4 challenging even now (not as much as I used to) but I get it. And I will agree that Gen 3 was pretty damn hard.

Even without experience share in USUM tho I found myself bordering Level 80 by the time I got to the Elite Four and Champ and that was with zero grinding.

Not as bad as X/Y where I had two Level 100 Pokemon by the time I got to the Elite Four... yiiiiikes.
#62  March 01, 2021, 02:32:01 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Level 80 sounds a bit high for no grinding at all, but I don't remember the game that well.
#63  March 01, 2021, 02:34:35 am
    • USA
Level 80 sounds a bit high for no grinding at all, but I don't remember the game that well.

I was between 70 and 77 and it was icky. I was lower leveled by 10-15 in Sun and Moon when I got to the E4/Champ.

Ngl if you want an actually challenging Pokemon game, I'd say the most difficult is Colosseum... it's amazing how complex a game with nothing but Double Battles is. Requires a lot more thought.
#64  March 01, 2021, 04:15:02 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
XD Gale of Darkness has the most challenging Final Boss I've ever experienced in any mainline RPG no matter how much The Pokemon Company tries to ignore its existence.

Double battling while maintaining your Pokémon's health WHILE attempting to snag the Final Boss' Shadow team WHILE every Shadow attack does Super Effective damage to your non Shadow mons.

Genius Sonority doing another mainline Pokémon spinoff is a pipedream.
#65  March 01, 2021, 04:16:22 am
    • USA
XD Gale of Darkness has the most challenging Final Boss I've ever experienced in any mainline RPG no matter how much The Pokemon Company tries to ignore its existence.

Double battling while maintaining your Pokémon's health WHILE attempting to snag the Final Boss' Shadow team WHILE every Shadow attack does Super Effective damage to your non Shadow mons.

Personally I think Colosseum's final boss is harder but yeah, XD's climactic fight was a damn acid trip nightmare.

Now if only those games would get re-released... but Nintendo really hates remembering that the GameCube ever happened so, fat chance of that ever happening.
#66  March 01, 2021, 04:27:58 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Oddly, while that's true, Pokemon Go also prety much copypasted Orre's Shadow Pokemon, concept and execution and all.  Just missing a Celebi tie-in, to my recollection.
#67  March 01, 2021, 05:05:10 am
    • Brazil

That's just arbitrary difficulty. You're waiting for the RNG to favor you instead of actually defeating the boss, which would be much easier. Not a good design, very garbage, in fact.
#68  March 01, 2021, 03:25:32 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Something tells me you wouldn't enjoy fishing.

Randomness isn't the be-all enemy of difficulty.  Physics engines like Half-Life or questionable reactions like Super Mario Sunshine make them all the more memorable, and I'd say from the way many remember then, fun.  Hell, I don't play them but seems people adore Xcom games, in the same breath they're bringing up how placing a gun upside someone's chin is a 50/50 chance of hitting.

There is enjoyment to be had in running your odds and holding out to beat them.  His Shadow Pokemon example is a good one, I too remember having to capture the 7 of them and, well, it was fun.
#69  March 01, 2021, 04:24:25 pm
    • USA
I would certainly say XD’s take on a final boss of Pokémon is innovative as hell. Definitely pretty good design in my eyes.
#70  March 01, 2021, 06:01:54 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
One of the bongs who worked in XD worked his way though GF and served as art director for Sw/Sh, so it's Orre or the mechanics developed in those games making a comeback in some way or shape doesn't seem impossible at this point.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/James_Turner
#71  March 01, 2021, 06:38:23 pm
    • Mexico

That's just arbitrary difficulty. You're waiting for the RNG to favor you instead of actually defeating the boss, which would be much easier. Not a good design, very garbage, in fact.

You know that you don't have to snag his full team if you don't want to, right? There is literally nothing stopping you from just KO'ing his team and coming back later overleveled and just bringing stronger pokemon with status moves and shit to snag his team. You can get rid of the "shitty RNG" and it is still a challenging boss fight.
#72  March 03, 2021, 05:22:36 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
Knowing how many hours I put into every Pokemon game I play,  I'm still looking forward to it despite not being too overly excited. The chibi style sort of put me off a bit but I'll get used to it.

I'm sure there will be a post game story featuring one of the mythical Pokemon just like how ORAS had with the Delta Episode via Deoxys.
#73  March 03, 2021, 08:58:57 am
    • USA
I would say I’m expecting a Giratina/Distortion World post game chapter but I need more info on what this remake will entail before I start making predictions.
#74  March 04, 2021, 12:12:26 am
    • USA
I just had a realization.

....... will the Hearthome Gym return to being multiple choice math problems? Dear god please no.
#75  March 04, 2021, 12:17:54 am
    • Brazil
I'm pretty sure they'll keep the improvements from Platinum, as well as the Pokemon that showed up in that one.
#76  March 04, 2021, 12:46:26 am
    • USA
I'm pretty sure they'll keep the improvements from Platinum, as well as the Pokemon that showed up in that one.

Fingers crossed they do. I've become more optimistic these days about what the remakes will entail, my paranoia has mostly died down... though I do worry about some of things that would make the game TOO faithful.
#77  March 04, 2021, 01:02:23 am
    • Brazil
Woooooooo... Finite TMMMMMMs... woooooooo... HM slaaaaaaaaaves...
#78  March 04, 2021, 09:33:38 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
The big thing is if they will bring back the battle frontier. It was only in platinum and I fear they might do another ORAS with it.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#79  March 04, 2021, 01:32:06 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
#80  March 04, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
You just know they are gonna port Galar's Battle Tower over to Sinnoh like they did with the Battle Maison in ORAS.

Honestly, it depends how "faithful" these remakes are. They could do a HGSS which had a solid combo of stuff from G/S, C and new stuff too.