YesNoOk

The most important topic yet : AI, our future God or the end of humanity ? (Read 2505 times)

Started by Cybaster, February 08, 2015, 11:45:49 pm
Share this topic:
The most important topic yet : AI, our future God or the end of humanity ?
#1  February 08, 2015, 11:45:49 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Just wanted to share this very nice article I read on "Wait but Why". This is a pretty long read, but should be relevent for you bunch of geeks, especially since we're all concerned with it. :)

This is a very lengthy two-part article dealing with the AI revolution :
- How fast we progress in technologies
- What is AI, ANI, AGI, ASI ?
- How to create an AGI (what we're trying to do nowadays) ?
- What will this mean when we succeed ?
- What exactly do super intelligence mean (nope, it's not just about being faster and a little smarter than us) ?
- The optimistic point of view (we gain immortality)
- The HORRIBLE pessimistic point of view (it kills us all in a plit of second, not because it's evil, but just because we didn't program it properly)

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

Before reading this article, real super smart AI was for me (and probably for you too) just some science-fiction stuff, some sort of supercomputer that would be able to answer questions we ask it, and that would appear in a few hundreads of years.
But actually, it's a subject we have to tackle today, for it means a revolution much greater than the internet, 3D printing or anything you could imagine. And this future is only a few years away !!!

Reading what scientists from the "anxious avenue" think, I can only wonder "will mankind still exist in 100 years !?" :o

Bea

Re: The most important topic yet : AI, our future God or the end of humanity ?
#2  February 09, 2015, 12:54:50 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I will be dead in 50 years, so I don't really care if mankind will still exist in 100 years.
And if we get super smart AI that has sentience, I hope it is Skynet like so I can bust some T-800's before my inevitable fall.
I've always wanted to die with the blood of my enemies covering me.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#3  February 09, 2015, 02:48:51 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That was a really good read!
It's nice to know that humanities fate is in the hands of so many scary people!

It's another one of those things where you read it and you just kinda have to hope everything works out right. Unless you're one of the lucky few smart enough to be working in the field already I guess :P Then you may be able to actually shape it.

Not to go on a Saohc here but reading this stuff makes me realize how unrealistic my future is in my comics. Year 2132.
But then again part of keeping it similar to it is now was done to make it easier to relate and quasi explained by war setting us back or something.

But reading all this makes want to create a world where ASI was made. Though again, it'd be hard to write a good story if it's well after the fact since we'd either be in our god mode or dead by then!

Very fascinating stuff! Thanks for the link!
#4  February 09, 2015, 04:59:15 am
  • all is love in fair and war
aren't they just like the left brain of human on steroid. will they ever develop intuition, faith, or bravery to act against all odds?
#5  February 09, 2015, 06:35:42 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
we could always dark age-ban ai development once it gets to a certain point, like we have done with genetics (oh, we can clone shit now, clonning humans is forbidden, even though colling human organs would fix a shitton of problems).

all in all it was a good, if lengthy read, especially as I am doing some ani development at the side; I see two problems there, computing power will still take a while to get there, though I ahve read some people want to make ai's that develop the computer power; the other is mentioned inthe second half of the article, just because we will get the computer power it does not mean we will improve the software in a fashionable time for this to become a problem.
#6  February 09, 2015, 07:16:09 am
  • all is love in fair and war
why do we have to raise cattle to be slaughtered, can't we just clone tenderloin cells or chicken liver cells, or a sheet of perfect cow hide, without the cow or chicken. :-\
#7  February 09, 2015, 05:45:28 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#8  February 10, 2015, 02:53:54 pm
  • ̢̻̮̫̬̹̞̼̲̪̜̭͇̲͒ͪ̌ͬ̒̄̔̐͘͟ͅ ̢̋ͬ̓͗̏̇̌̑͐ͤ͗̔̊̕͏̴̣͎̟͈̬͚
    • Monaco
http://signavatar.com/32255_s.gif

please visit my request thread. here
bad grammar is art