YesNoOk

Development blog (Read 39977 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, August 18, 2011, 12:05:13 am
Share this topic:
Development blog
#1  August 18, 2011, 12:05:13 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
To get this started, I asked for a subforum to get this more organized; simply making mugen characters just is not interesting anymore os I got started in a full game, that was 3 years ago, managed to program a few chars in there but stuff happened ( global recesion) and i was nor able to continue working on the game.

now that I have more stability i decided to resume this game for fun, while i don't have as much free time as I had when I first got started at least I got more knowlege and experience developing software so i plan to use tools and standars to speed up the process.

First this is the old wip topic:
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=84986.0

I plan some heavy changes on gameplay, like hit on hit collision, deeper projectile interaction and deeper grab interaction, the character list is mostly unchanged.

The current progress is mai and sakura are around 30%; blair, tifa and raiya 90% or so coded, they just need tuning but I will so as the game progresses; but i will have to recode them to the game standars first, samus is also around 80%  , but she is the first character in which i got started with the standars so i won't have to recode her as much as the previous one.

I will not be editing the mugen code directly (regarding cns code) instead I am using a tool that generates cns code that should help me to standarize the code for all the characters; currently samus is the only character that uses that tool and I started coding her the traditional way, in which she had her full move set, but now she is "undone" up to  her specials because I am standarizing her code. Also, that was before I tought about adding new gameplay mechanics so I also have to consider that.

now, while working on project i normally go by goals so in this case those are my current goals.

1) design the new gameplay aspects and how they will be implemented.
  1.1 ) attack clash.
  1.2 ) projectile interaction
  1.3 ) grab interaction.

2 ) implement new gameplay aspects in samus to create the base template.

3) design a file structure that makes working in this project easier to handle.

4) create a more proper documentation folder separated by objects (characters, satges,e etc..) to keep track fo the progress, thigh might be rendered irrelevant by this subforum.

and as a bonus:

old alpha release:
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=87961.0
Re: Development blog
#2  August 18, 2011, 12:10:53 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
I will not be editing the mugen code directly (regarding cns code) instead I am using a tool that generates cns code that should help me to standarize the code for all the characters;

Care to give more info about this?
#3  August 18, 2011, 12:18:10 am
    • USA
Thats good to hear man. Looking forward to this.
#4  August 18, 2011, 12:36:18 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I will not be editing the mugen code directly (regarding cns code) instead I am using a tool that generates cns code that should help me to standarize the code for all the characters;

Care to give more info about this?

this is samus "cns" code for a basic attack:

Code:
;___________________________________________________

[Statedef #close_a]
parent = vgm_statedef_normal

#vgm_initVelSet
#vgm_initChangeAnim

[State Idle ]
parent = vgm_backToIdle
Trigger1 = !AnimelemTime(5)

[State esp]
parent = vgm_soundNormal

[State Counter Hit Damage]
parent = vgm_counterHitDamage
[State hit ]
parent = vgm_hitdef_normal_weak
Trigger1 = !AnimelemTime(4)
Damage = Floor((29+((random%1)*9.8))*fvar(0)), 0
SparkXY = 0, -75
GuardFlag = L

#vgm_endState

[State PosAdd]
Type = PosAdd
Trigger1 = AnimElemTime(1) = 0
X = ifelse(((P2BodyDist X)-(EnemyNear,Vel X)-(EnemyNear,GetHitVar(xvel)) )> 10 ,10,floor((P2BodyDist X)-(EnemyNear,Vel X)-(EnemyNear,GetHitVar(xvel))))

words that start with a # are constants that get looked up at another file and then get pasted where the #word was.

state controllers that have this line
parent       = X

get their parent looked up at another definition file, the behaviour is that the parent sctrl's values are used, then the parameters that are in the current state sctrl substitute same the parameters from the parent.
#5  August 18, 2011, 12:43:06 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
I am really intrigued. How can I help?
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#6  August 18, 2011, 01:27:01 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Well, I don't like making effects so I just plan to rip them from various games.

As far as a screenpack and stages go I also plan to put the less effort in there.

the thing I will be putting the most effort with is characters, which involve the following steps.

sprite editing to normallize looks and animation (recolor, add more frames, create new moves, etc).
design the character's moves and animations.
make the sff and the base air file, if I have a source sff (such as pots sakura), it's just a matter of changin group names to the oens in the design.
make the real air file, fine tune some timings and standarize the clsns, in this case all clsns shoudl follow some simple guidelines which I am still tweaking.
make the basic cns based off the templates I have for the moves.
  up until this step I was able to put up a full character (tifa) in a few hours and it felt playable already.
fine tune the cns, this takes mroe time and might even be said that's never done, the first steps of fine tuning are very noticeable for they should make the character feel more solid this generally allows the character to be able to pull proper combos as well as strategies, this also involves a bit of air editing to adjust timings.
add sounds.
add ai, in this case I want to somehow make it easier to produce my helper based ais.
fine tune add infinitum
#7  August 18, 2011, 02:42:16 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Exactly what do you mean by grab interaction? Something like being able to avoid an opponent's throw by using the same command, or something more elaborate like turning an opponent's throw into your throw if hers involves pushing and you use a command for a throw that pulls the opponent toward you?

The WIP topic mentioned team attacks for Simul mode - is that still planned? If so, are team attacks possible with any pair of characters, or are there specific teams?
#8  August 18, 2011, 05:41:02 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The WIP topic mentioned team attacks for Simul mode - is that still planned? If so, are team attacks possible with any pair of characters, or are there specific teams?

Those are out at the moment, I am going to wait what does elecbyte do with simul since there is a chance they add proper tag team modes.

Exactly what do you mean by grab interaction? Something like being able to avoid an opponent's throw by using the same command, or something more elaborate like turning an opponent's throw into your throw if hers involves pushing and you use a command for a throw that pulls the opponent toward you?

I will amke a topic aobut that, but yes, it means not only throw escaping, but also being able to revert the throw, so you got it right.
#9  August 24, 2011, 06:17:24 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Well, I don't like making effects so I just plan to rip them from various games.

As far as a screenpack and stages go I also plan to put the less effort in there.

the thing I will be putting the most effort with is characters, which involve the following steps.

sprite editing to normallize looks and animation (recolor, add more frames, create new moves, etc).
design the character's moves and animations.
make the sff and the base air file, if I have a source sff (such as pots sakura), it's just a matter of changin group names to the oens in the design.
make the real air file, fine tune some timings and standarize the clsns, in this case all clsns shoudl follow some simple guidelines which I am still tweaking.
make the basic cns based off the templates I have for the moves.
  up until this step I was able to put up a full character (tifa) in a few hours and it felt playable already.
fine tune the cns, this takes mroe time and might even be said that's never done, the first steps of fine tuning are very noticeable for they should make the character feel more solid this generally allows the character to be able to pull proper combos as well as strategies, this also involves a bit of air editing to adjust timings.
add sounds.
add ai, in this case I want to somehow make it easier to produce my helper based ais.
fine tune add infinitum

I am really intrigued. How can I help?

We can talk about that via pm or using irc/isntant messaging, I posted the steps becuase the way they have been separated you could help with any of that if you wish, some things have to be talked about/worked in tandem, especially the parts about designing movelists.

1) design the new gameplay aspects and how they will be implemented.
  1.1 ) attack clash.
  1.2 ) projectile interaction
  1.3 ) grab interaction.

2 ) implement new gameplay aspects in samus to create the base template.

3) design a file structure that makes working in this project easier to handle.

4) create a more proper documentation folder separated by objects (characters, satges,e etc..) to keep track fo the progress, thigh might be rendered irrelevant by this subforum.

1) has already been taken care of in the following topics, it's still open to discussions and adjustments:
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=132979.0
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=132981.0
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=132976.0

now I am going for 2, 3 and 4.
about 2, I will start with hit priorities, probably skip clash to code projectiles, then the grab interaction and the clash.

regarding 3, that's not very rugent until I get to a second character, which will be a blair or raiya remake.

about 4, I will start by remaking the main reference file I use probably as a topic in there.
#10  September 26, 2011, 11:52:34 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I am pretty much done with points 3 and 4, so I am putting all my efforts on point 2, which is remaking samus.

separating that in points I will:

* update her sprites and animations to the new numbers
* update all statenos based on the code tools
* reprogram projectiles for projectile interaction using the standariing tool.
* fix minor already existing bugs
* implement hit priorities as seen in the topic
* implement grabs
* program new special moves/ supers
* edit/program whip - gun
* add sounds

that's about all fora  stable samus, after her I will work on mai instead of remaking blair/raiya as I had planned at first.

#11  October 09, 2011, 12:42:57 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Good luck with the project
#12  October 20, 2011, 05:48:59 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Thanks for the encouragement; while I am still in the process of recoding samus I decided to take a small break from her and get started with taki, since for a random reason i have been watching a few videos of her and got a feeling on how I want her to play, so expect a taki movelist soon (I will also take a chance and post samus' movelist) as I finish sorting out her available sprites to make the movelist.
#13  October 25, 2011, 07:31:48 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
so I have gone though two things this week:

1) made a list of mvoe templates, this is for the characters currently in the roster, it's design stage and it was necesary to do it before progressing more with samus.

2) made taki's movelist and sorted her sprites into different anims; i will pause her for a bit but will do her immediately after mai, I am pretty surprised that nobody used dampir's set before, it has more than enough sprites and the quality is ok; I guess taki is not that popular after all.
#14  November 04, 2011, 11:52:07 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I decided to unpause taki, so I hope to finish her sff this weekend; I will also test my program in air files.

Spent a few days this week cleaning the palette guide, I will post it as a separate topic as soon as I finish fixing up the old chars so their indexes fit with the new palette.
#15  November 08, 2011, 05:06:09 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
GOt hella busy during the weekend so for now i will only be making/porting palettes until the next weekend; taki's sff and air files are still the next thing to do.
#16  November 28, 2011, 06:58:37 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I still kinda got busy this weekend, so I have only been making/porting palettes as of lately , which ended up being a good thing as i ahd forgotten that mai needs to be worked on before any  other chars, ebcause she will be the standar for timing and i will end up retiming any characters I make before her anyway; that means she is now taking first priority.
#17  January 03, 2012, 01:17:50 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Holydays are over, once I get up to speed in my job i will resuem work on mai.
#18  January 30, 2012, 07:20:08 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I decided to start recoding from scratch, mai's workfiles are already in the cloud  for that to progress faster.
#19  March 13, 2012, 01:15:02 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
While halfway thru coding mai I changed back to mugen 1.0 because mugen 1.1 feels awful with strict command cancelling.
#20  June 12, 2012, 12:43:22 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
[E] good luck and what your your old profile name
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way