YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734041 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#2581  September 27, 2021, 05:43:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I kinda want to see them try to poke the old school Doom hornet's nest and have the Mii Gunner Doomguy have the BFG but it's required it has to only be called the Bio-Force Gun.  Bring up that old scar.

Speaking of Sora, just to throw this in and stir up some trouble for those wishing for hope, the latest "leak" going around is some guy back in June claimed to be on Disney's end and got a request passed down from his higher ups to continue the chain of getting the right people to sign off on letting Nintendo use Kingdom Hearts music on an upcoming presentation.  The leak's credibility comes from them being told it's for a Smash presentation on October 5th.  If it was a guess it was a rather lucky shot in the dark.

Take it as you usually do with your leaks.  Would be nice to have Sora, be fun to see the reactions of yet another fan-made rule that the Smash team supposedly have to abide get broken and it's another Square rep.  I kinda would prefer Lara Croft if I think about it as a better mark in history, but Sora's pretty great too.

For what it's worth, ignoring the leak, I'm reminded of this collective poll results of various Smash polls around the world from two years ago.

And I would not be surprised if they write off the last Ultimate character done in a similar fashion as Bayonetta was just go with Sora because it was fairly clear people wanted him super bad above others for years now.

...Also can we talk about how much Japan wants a Gundam in Smash?  I feel like like the Japanese fan base is working on a whole other level of priorities here.  That or they really love those Super Deformed Gundams.
Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:59:31 am by Long John Killer
#2582  September 27, 2021, 06:46:22 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Gundam legit is the best thing on this entire poll. I don't even care for the series but a chibi mech suit brings so much to the table.
#2583  September 27, 2021, 07:54:15 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Speaking of Sora, just to throw this in and stir up some trouble for those wishing for hope, the latest "leak" going around is some guy back in June claimed to be on Disney's end and got a request passed down from his higher ups to continue the chain of getting the right people to sign off on letting Nintendo use Kingdom Hearts music on an upcoming presentation.  The leak's credibility comes from them being told it's for a Smash presentation on October 5th.  If it was a guess it was a rather lucky shot in the dark.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every single "leak" is wrong and is someone trying to get their 15 minutes. When was the last time a so called leak ended up being accurate? I don't think any of them even listed Kazuya as a character.

Whatever guidelines Ninty uses to choose potential candidates for Smash probably have Sora qualify for it, but he's such a HUGE shot in the dark that not only are you firing blind, you don't even have any idea where the target even is. Sora has the nasty caveat of having to go through 2 companies that are pretty tough to work with. I feel like Sora isn't really worth going through the hassle when you can still get other star characters with less of a headache. Heck, Ninty themselves probably still have a few characters of their own they could use.
#2584  September 27, 2021, 08:02:33 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
...Also can we talk about how much Japan wants a Gundam in Smash?  I feel like like the Japanese fan base is working on a whole other level of priorities here.  That or they really love those Super Deformed Gundams.
I mean, Gundam is a huge icon and has been for the past 40+ years, I guess it's not that surprising. I just dunno what those people voting for it are imagining such an entry to look like.

Relatedly my pie in the sky, never happening ever in a million years fantasy for the final Smash character is someone from Super Robot Wars. Not like a licensed character, but one of the many many original characters created for the SRW games.

I honestly think it would fit really well: the series started on Game Boy, and called Nintendo consoles as their only home for a fairly long time, up until the CD console era. And even after moving the mainline releases to various Playstation consoles, they still put out at least one entry on every single Nintendo console out there, not to mention numerous, numerous portable entries on all Nintendo handhelds.

Plus, the Original Generation subseries (wherein the original characters invented for various SRW games are all mashed together into a single cohesive world and storyline) debuted on Game Boy Advance, and they'd almost certainly pick someone who's been in an OG game as their rep for Smash. And they're celebrating their 30th anniversary this year and are about to come out with a new game next month! And the primary platform for that new game is the Switch!!!

It'd probably make most sense to have use a character who is established as being an excellent fighter out of the cockpit, because I can't imagine they'd shrink down a whole giant robot and turn that into a fighter; there's several expert hand-to-hand fighters (such as Sanger, who appeared without his mech as a playable character in one of the Project X Zone games) that could serve well enough, and then maybe they'd summon their mech for their Final Smash or whatever. Then again they could just bullshit a moveset in order to use the first ever and most popular original protagonist, Masaki, even if he isn't known for his combat skills outside his mech.

But of course, this is all a delusional fantasy of mine, and has absolutely no way of actually happening... even though I look at the timing of the new SRW game and the Smash Direct and try and pretend it'll happen. :qq:
#2585  September 27, 2021, 08:06:09 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
But of course, this is all a delusional fantasy of mine, and has absolutely no way of actually happening... even though I look at the timing of the new SRW game and the Smash Direct and try and pretend it'll happen. :qq:

Don't worry, we all have delusional fantasies. Any time I tell folks how much I want Paper Mario they tell me to temper my expectations lol

There's no harm in wanting something wild though, I mean somehow we always get something wild anyways. Nothing's impossible. :0

Except Goku.
#2586  September 27, 2021, 08:27:22 am
    • USA
Frankly, your pilot idea is just Captain Falcon but if it were Domon Kasshu instead.

Which would be just fine in my book because one of his obligatory taunts will be done WITH THE HELP OF KYOJI!
Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:30:42 am by Long John Killer
#2587  September 27, 2021, 09:34:58 am
    • Mexico
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every single "leak" is wrong and is someone trying to get their 15 minutes. When was the last time a so called leak ended up being accurate? I don't think any of them even listed Kazuya as a character.

Whatever guidelines Ninty uses to choose potential candidates for Smash probably have Sora qualify for it, but he's such a HUGE shot in the dark that not only are you firing blind, you don't even have any idea where the target even is. Sora has the nasty caveat of having to go through 2 companies that are pretty tough to work with. I feel like Sora isn't really worth going through the hassle when you can still get other star characters with less of a headache. Heck, Ninty themselves probably still have a few characters of their own they could use.
Gotta put an objection there.
People are going like, oh Nintendo probably has characters of their own, my response to that is: like who? For real, a lot of the candidates are going through one or more obstacles:
Ring Fit Adventure? Spirit event messes with that but it means nothing to the millions of copies it's still selling to this very day.
Luigi's Mansion 3? Could work, but it's not like Nintendo had big plans for that game.
Astral Chain? Same spirit event issue, probably less problematic because that was years ago, but still. Also the game is done and well beyond any chance of DLC support to keep it around like Xenoblade.
Animal Crossing? Could see happen.
Zelda? Knowing how badly treated is the Zelda roster in Smash (it's just three Links, Zelda, Shiek and Ganondorf), I'd be shocked if they actually included a character from there.
Kirby? Maybe.
Unless you wanna also include characters with big requests like Waluigi, there's no reason to believe Nintendo has that many characters to use. And not just that, Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra had more going for them than just being recent Nintendo characters, the former was definitely part of some kind of aborted ARMS revival campaign (remember that comic that was supposedly still in the works? Yeah, me neither), and the latter had their game go through some lengthy DLC support and also had fan demand on their side.
#2588  September 27, 2021, 10:05:42 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Yea, I'm not going to pretend I know what's left either. Ninty does pretty much have their all star lineup already in.

But they also have a vast library of IPs. They can pull something out there if they really want to and it wouldn't be the first time they've done so. Who remembered the Ice Climbers before Melee or Pit before Brawl?
#2589  September 27, 2021, 11:33:05 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Heck, Ninty themselves probably still have a few characters of their own they could use.
They sure do. It's why I think that the final Smash DLC fighter is gonna be a Pokémon rep.
Because you just HAVE to end Smash DLC on a fucking disappointment!
That's just what Smash ALWAYS did!
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#2590  September 27, 2021, 12:01:32 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The absence of anything Ace Attorney is very strange.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2591  September 27, 2021, 03:36:58 pm
    • USA
They sure do. It's why I think that the final Smash DLC fighter is gonna be a Pokémon rep.

I wouldn’t call Bayonetta a disappointment, but Byleth definitely was lol

The absence of anything Ace Attorney is very strange.

I am surprised that we have no real spirit selection or event for the series. I’m expecting a Mii Costume unless Phoenix is the final fighter.
#2592  September 27, 2021, 05:18:35 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
A SD Gundam Mii costume would be such a mind-blowing way to represent the franchise in Smash, thinking about it...!

But anyway -
  • My personal wish: Dr. Eggman. If such iconic villain can't have a chance anymore, then... (*)
  • What I expect it to be: that girl from Shin Megami Tensei V

About Sora... I wanna be mind open now, and ask to the folks who actually got the chance to properly experience the series: What's really appealing about this character? Is his direct connection to Disney IPs the sole reason people wanna se him make it in? Or boy's got some actually good character traits that I'm sadly missing out?

Except Goku.

* I unironically want a memey, non-gaming character to officially show up in Smash, just so people would finally put those fan-theory restrictions down their own throats, and finish this argument for good;

There's no way a character like Goku or even Shrek wouldn't look actually awesome inside the game, if Nintendo were really willing to do it.
Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:26:27 pm by NDSilva
#2593  September 27, 2021, 05:21:22 pm
I don't care who it will be. I have my favorites in. If it's Sora, that's cool. If it's Waluigi, that's nice. If it's a character that is new, that's original. Let's face it, we had a long journey of Smash Bros and i had my wishes and i had a fun ride.

Even the Mii Fighters costumes could be surprisingly good like Cuphead and Sans. If Sora gets to be the Mii Fighter costume, fine by me.
#2594  September 27, 2021, 05:28:21 pm
    • USA
About Sora... I wanna be mind open now, and ask to the folks who actually got the chance to properly experience the series: What's really appealing about this character? Is his direct connection to Disney IPs the sole reason people wanna se him make it in? Or boy's got some actually good character traits that I'm sadly missing out?

Honestly I have the same question. I've never played Kingdom Hearts and have no interest in doing so, but from what I've seen of the games (I've watched a playthrough of the first and part of the second several years back) he seems... neat? I mean he certainly has moveset potential but I dunno why he's arguably the most requested character for Smash these days.

I honestly think it's just for the sake of having Kingdom Hearts (and by extension, Disney) in Smash. Regardless of how much people like the character I think it's just for the sake of the Disney representation in Smash lmao
#2595  September 27, 2021, 05:44:36 pm
    • Mexico
Yea, I'm not going to pretend I know what's left either. Ninty does pretty much have their all star lineup already in.

But they also have a vast library of IPs. They can pull something out there if they really want to and it wouldn't be the first time they've done so. Who remembered the Ice Climbers before Melee or Pit before Brawl?

Well, not gonna start a debate here, but let's just keep this in mind: those two characters were chosen by Sakurai, not Nintendo. I think one can definitely see the difference between them (not recent, chosen for curiosity and future plans) and Byleth, Min Min and Pyra/Mythra (chosen to tie in to recent games).
#2596  September 27, 2021, 06:01:51 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
The next character will be a metroid character why I think of this? because Sakurai will show the next character this octuber 5 and Metroid dread will be released in octuber 8 so how to sell more copies? easy money my friends and Metroid saga needs to sell more copies. but I would like a final character that anybody is waiting for, However an original character made by Sakurai would be a good addition to say good bye, for example.
Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:28:52 pm by yaret
#2597  September 27, 2021, 06:02:52 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ

I wouldn’t call Bayonetta a disappointment, but Byleth definitely was lol
Bayonetta may not be a disappointment, but that's because she's a ballot pick.
However, Smash 4's final non-ballot DLC fighter was fucking Corrin, and he/she is arguably an even BIGGER disappointment than Byleth.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#2598  September 27, 2021, 06:14:43 pm
    • USA
Bayonetta may not be a disappointment, but that's because she's a ballot pick.
However, Smash 4's final non-ballot DLC fighter was fucking Corrin, and he/she is arguably an even BIGGER disappointment than Byleth.

True but it could've been worse.

They could've started with Bayonetta and ended with Corrin.
#2599  September 27, 2021, 06:27:16 pm
    • USA
Sora as a character is your typical shonen main boy hero.  It's not a particularly unique designation, but it is a proven archtype that works and people like and Sora is no different.  He's a light hearted, cheerful, dumb as a rock hilbilly who don't know why magic computer keep beeping at him when he can't find the Any Key.

Probably more unique ironically is even more than his comparison to your shonen protagoinist hero is he is more accurately an one-for-one copy of Sailor Moon.  His characterization, powers and themes mirror Usagi's whole, like, everything, except the magical girl staff/wand has been replaced by a key.  Which the fanbase has taken notice of and had their fun with.

Beyond that, I suppose his appeal is his stand-in for the everyman thrown into a ridiculously overcomplicated situation and his solution is to hit it hard enough until it gets fixed.  Kingdom Hearts is also notorious for having a Metal Gear Solid-esque comically complex and layered plot for what is essentially on the surface your basic Light versus Darkness story.  Sora however just doesn't get any of it at all and just wants the basics; get his friends back, beat anyone bad's face in if they can't be redeemed.

That all said, it's not a zero percent appeal that yeah, this is also still somehow a blending of Final Fantasy and Disney characters with their own histories being blended together and Sora, once again the average player stand-in, co-mingling with them.  His connections with many of the Disney movie characters is usually not that deep and it's more the coolness factor that you get to see what happens when Cloud Strife strikes a deal with Hades to kill Hercules.  For whatever reason you envisioned that scenario as a kid.
#2600  September 27, 2021, 08:39:50 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.