YesNoOk

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus (Read 1405197 times)

Started by Umezono, February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#101  March 06, 2021, 11:25:32 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Huh, I guess stupid realization, I just never bothered to look into Regigigas much deeper after everyone realized how much it sucks early on.  I didn't think Neutralizing Gas would work with it?  I thought Slow Start had to complete its full 5 turn run to restore its stats, removing the ability would just leave it at half capacity for the rest of the fight.

Neat.
#102  March 06, 2021, 11:47:12 pm
    • Brazil
That kind of ability exist to balance them, like Slaking. They are good stats pokemon with a bad ability. But in the case of Slow Start, they went too far I think? I agree that should have a way to get rid of SS, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Balance? Who the fuck cares about balancing a legendary? Besides, if they want the Pokemon to not be too powerful, then maybe don't give him ridiculous stats?
#103  March 06, 2021, 11:48:27 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Phione deserves justice yall
#104  March 07, 2021, 12:49:59 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah why care about balance period, give every pokemon max BST

I am very smart at game design
#105  March 07, 2021, 01:34:55 am
    • Brazil
We're talking about a Legendary here, I'm not saying they should pick any random Pokemon. Regigigas being weak to the point where he can't be on Ubers is one thing, but being so weak to the point where he is untiered is absolutely ridiculous.
#106  March 07, 2021, 01:41:58 am
Even without the ability, it gets hard countered by Bulky Ghosts, Skarm, Corviknight, etc. (EDIT: Never mind, ran some calcs about how a Choice Banded non-hindered Gigas would fare and uh yea)

Gigas is better suited in Doubles, honestly.  It has more success than whatever it does in Singles.  Not all Pokémon have to excel in Singles and not everything has to revolve around Smogon meta.
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 01:50:54 am by Kirishima
#107  March 07, 2021, 01:56:09 am
    • Brazil
"Not excelling" doesn't mean "not working at all".

EDIT: By the way, because of the remakes, I became more interested in the games, I already completed Platinum multiple times, are Diamond and Pearl different enough to be worth playing again?
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:18:28 am by Macaulyn97
#108  March 07, 2021, 02:29:51 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
There is 0 reason to play diamond and pearl over platinum, theyre functionally worse due to engine issues and have less content.
#109  March 07, 2021, 02:32:47 am
    • Brazil
Well, I guess I'll just play Platinum again, then. But I'll just hack in a team with purely NU Pokemon so I can finally understand why Cynthia is considered hard.
#110  March 07, 2021, 02:50:00 am
    • USA
Same reason why Doom 3 is considered a "horror game".  Surprise and being underprepared.  The saying that no Pokemon game is hard rings mostly true....with hindsight.  You got a few spots where you can muscle through without thought but going in, running into someone like Red or Cynthia unaware is what's most fondly remembered.  That's it, that's the whole reason.

Also having character to her character helps.  Along with a pretty good theme song.
#111  March 07, 2021, 12:51:42 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Yeah why care about balance period, give every pokemon max BST

This is the same team that created Mega Rayquaza and decided a Pokémon should have Choice Band as an ability, which can then stack with an actual Choice Band or Scarf.

Also works the other way because they refuse to give Typhlosion Earth Power or swap Sceptile's attacking stats.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#112  March 07, 2021, 02:17:41 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Also works the other way because they refuse to give Typhlosion Earth Power or swap Sceptile's attacking stats.

If Johto starters were added to SwSh, Typhlosion would've gotten Scorching Sands at least but it might also get Earth Power cuz, well, it's known as the Volcano Pokemon. They gave Venusaur, Abomasnow and the Poliwag line Earth Power so it might happen... maybe. Also, don't you hate it when a Pokemon gets great coverage but it's for an attacking stat they're not dominant at?
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#113  April 18, 2021, 03:48:51 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Either way, I am getting the games.
#114  May 26, 2021, 04:47:55 pm
Release dates confirmed

4th Gen Remakes: November 19, 2021
Legends Arceus:  January 28, 2022

More news to come in E3.
#115  May 26, 2021, 10:42:07 pm
    • USA
BDSP's is about the expected timeframe.  Legends Arcues both being so close to the other's release while also missing out on the winter holiday rush to also push their big new main team experiment is a bit more odd.  The skeptic in me wonders if they don't value Legends' success as much as the gen 4 remakes, but then that kinda works against the whole reason for this endeavor to begin with.  So whatever, we'll see how things turn out then.

The new boxart renders don't fill me with "Oh wow, new legendary forms" awe, just standard versions being flashy.  Mildly amusing they're counter to SwSh of the same generation with the black backgrounds though.  Would line up with their proclamation that these remakes are exceptionally faithful to the original versions, but its hard to imagine at this current point in time they didn't do something new with them at all.  Will just have to wait and see.

Pure nitpicking to the nth degree on the boxart here, but I'm not a fan how Dialga gets to have his chest shine, so from the middle and bigger perspective, but Palkia only has one shoulder shining.  Should have both glowing, even if the other is facing away from the viewer's perspective.

Also nitpicking but this is on the Pokemon in general.  Dialga and Palkia were always supposed to look "weird", they're alien god nonsense.  But the more detail they put on their models like the pre-rendered cutouts here, the more I can't ignore their faces are just Muppets.  Dialga's lack of top fangs going at a 90° angle from face to inside of mouth is very distracting and very funny in that he looks like a hand puppet.
Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:47:26 pm by Long John Killer
#116  May 27, 2021, 12:38:48 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
My guess is that by "faithful" remakes, they mean sticking more to the top-down perspective and chibi-ish art style the original Gen 4 games are known for. This is pure speculation, but based on some things noticed in the reveal trailer people are saying that stuff from Platinum is being incorporated into the remakes. I sure hope so, I would love to see the Distortion World in HD.
#117  May 27, 2021, 01:15:46 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would love to see this game to be more on the Platinum side of things, as much as possible. I'd be disappointed if the level of faithful was straight up a 1:1 redux with practically nothing different.

Distortion World, Battle Frontier, more than 2 fire types... all sorts of great things I'd be unhappy to see not make it in.
#118  May 27, 2021, 01:45:34 am
    • USA
Not to dredge up the "fun" topic again, but national dex; we've got a lot more new monsters since generation 4 and going by Let's Go's example they are willing to introduce new additions to trade for non-native monsters to help boost your roster a la all the Alolan forms can be got in Let's Go.  That's a much smaller pool to draw from and we've had contradicting information from Masuda in 2019, understandable.  We know their apparent plan going forward from SwSh is that all future games will likewise keep handpicked monsters just out of the game's code entirely.  But I am left to imagine that being within the same generation as SwSh, these titles will be capable of at least trading and battling with all the SwSh-included monsters, if not findable in BDSP.

All that said doesn't exactly help the initial unedited game for newcomers, your pick of Fire-mons is gonna likely still be limited, and early trading breaks ANY game, that's why they at least had the gym badges as some form of speed bump.

Speaking of battling though, I do still wonder if they'll just drop the dynamax thing for cross-game fights?  They are particularly strict that dynamax is a Galar-only thing.  Hell, Pokemon Masters makes note of that no one else gets it and the Galar cast make a point of it being missing elsewhere in the world, Piers being fine and dandy about it.

I suppose a possible workaround would be the sad fate that yeah, SwSh and BDSP can't communicate with each other directly but they make you go through Pokemon Home.  But that'd suck so boo.
#119  May 27, 2021, 12:12:24 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Honestly, I am more excited for Legends Arceus than for Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl.

Legends Arceus might end up being the first step into the right direction, which is a major franchise shake up that the Pokémon series desperately needs.
It desperately needs to evolve, to innovate, to become...ya know, more modern.

Meanwhile, we have Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, which is the same fucking game as the last few generations, and for this game more than any other game before it, it looks like a fucking 3DS game stuck on the Nintendo Switch.
Hell, even Sword/Shield looks better than Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and that game was already ugly as sin (looking at you, Wild Area tree with N64 graphics). And guess what, Sword/Shield was ALSO just the same game as Sun/Moon, but worse.
And Sun/Moon, outside of the island trials, was also just the same game as X/Y, but worse.
And X/Y was also just the same game as Black/White, but worse.

Seriously, Gen 5 was the LAST time a mainline Pokémon game was good, and ever since then, the mainline games went down the dogs by being just the same fucking game again as last time, but even worse, and it's absolutely frustrating to see that TPC is STILL continuing this awful trend.

This is why I am sincerely hoping that Legends Arceus will sell much MUCH better than Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl. Maybe THAT will finally send a message to TPC...
...a message that says that the mainline Pokémon games need to finally evolve past their outdated formula and finally innovate themselves big time, just like many other big RPG series like Final Fantasy.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#120  May 27, 2021, 11:52:40 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
My main concern is that the release date for Arceus game is worryingly close considering how unfinished the game looked back in February, especially since this is Game Freak we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if those 5fps Pokémon animations make it into the final build.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.