YesNoOk

A few more stages, I guess. (3) (Read 2920 times)

Started by N., December 02, 2022, 09:38:12 pm
Share this topic:

N.

A few more stages, I guess. (3)
#1  December 02, 2022, 09:38:12 pm
Here's a thing I did recent-ish.  I've hit an impasse with it, so I've decided to release it as-is, because it's still a fairly decent attempt (not sure about the spare engine/flashing timings though).  I used scalestart for the "foreground floor" (it's there because I wanted the scrolling floor), so the ones that don't have 1.0 in the .def name won't look right in 1.0 (it's repositioned so it fills in that area for those).  It's missing enemies because I'd need to get posadd values/timings and find a way to selectively despawn every single thing on the stage to minimize lag (the romhack that fixes this makes me unable to use bizhawk's hex editor and makes my .lua script useless) and figure out how I want them to behave after they move beyond where you'd normally see them and whenever the ship fully descends (they can walk on top of and get trapped under it).
The BG resets every round because there's a point where the ship stops moving and the sky stops flashing.  The 2 bolt laser cannons on top of the last ship were added for consistency, since there's no way for you to ever get access to that area. 
I did 4 defs.  1 has animated cannons/hatches, the other does not, and the other half are 1.0 friendly versions of those.
The loop is intentionally incorrect for the .ogg for a better listening experience.  And because it'd be over 8 minutes long because your reward for listening to it for that long in the sound test is a brief easter egg.
I was tempted to be cheeky and give it the nickname I called it back when I used to play this (The Party Ship.  Because of the music, flashing sky, and everything exploding).  Instead I referenced it's actual name (Gigantic Warship) and the boss name (Prisoner).

Super R-Type - Warship of the Prisoner

Also, here's 2 other stages I made.  I didn't want to bump the other thread, so they're here (which means the above's actually #42, and I'll have to fix it the next time I add stuff to this :p).  I forgot to mention this, but every stage before #36 was done on the old computer (it'd be funny to pretend I'm sitting on an endless amount of old stages despite the created/modified dates on them getting more and more recent).

Spoiler: 40 (click to see content)
Spoiler: 41 (click to see content)

I may add more at some point if I ever get around to making them.
1 Last Updated: 4/19/23
2 Last Updated: 1/16/21
3 Last Updated: 04/20/23
4 Last Updated: 7/16/17
Re: A few more stages, I guess. (3)
#2  December 03, 2022, 11:06:01 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Some feedback. I tested all of them in 1.0 and 4:3 aspect ratio.

R-Type:
- Needs floortension. One normal jump is enough to make P2 barely visible
- A little too wide maybe. My personal rule of thumb for stages is 2 screens wide (and 2 screens tall for super jump) like many arcade games. But I guess the point is to show more of the ship when it stops scrolling?

Bleach:
- Same deal with floortension
- The top of the stage is partially empty. Easier to see with debugbg
- No shadows?
- I'd have personally gone for velset, but I can totally see why you did posadd

Bloodstorm:
- The bottom of the screen is partially empty. Easier to see with debugbg
- Could easily be wider. My only gripe with your stages is that you tend to go for single screen playing area even when there's material for larger stages
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.

N.

#3  December 04, 2022, 03:11:20 am
Thanks for the feedback. 

Huh.  Almost all of my extra large stages and taller Castlevania stages don't have it (Long's stages appear to be an exception).  They should now (I feel like I might've accidentally removed them when I was mass-editing the defs at some point).  I knocked the boundleft/boundright on them down to 160.

For Bloodstorm Eye/Bloodstorm Eye Alt, I made a def with 160 for the bounds and a tiled floor (I was gonna make a flipped floor and put it on the ends, but this appears to work).  What else do you think can be extended?  I'll most likely do it.
For the empty spaces doing that, does having the screen rendering mode set to System cause that?  Because I never saw that until I switched it from OpenGL.  Anyways, I added a tiled black square in the back layer to take care of that.  I noticed the alt version was missing the stage portrait (as were Metal Pirates Room and Axel Gear) and added that too.

For the top of the screen of the Bleach stage, I haven't been able to recreate the issue.  Does it matter that I forgot to put 1.1 for the mugenversion?
The lack of shadows is because they're slightly transparent ovals in the source game, and I sometimes get weird about stuff like that.  I copy/pasted what kung fu man's stage uses and flipped the yscale (maybe it'll be fine).

Edit: I had to add the black square to Bloodstorm Eye again because I accidentally undid my progress.  Sorry about that.
Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:13:48 am by N.
#4  December 04, 2022, 08:43:10 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
For Bloodstorm Eye/Bloodstorm Eye Alt, I made a def with 160 for the bounds and a tiled floor (I was gonna make a flipped floor and put it on the ends, but this appears to work).  What else do you think can be extended?  I'll most likely do it.
Looking at how the sprites work I think it'd be relatively hard to make the stage taller, so making it wider may be enough for that one.

For the empty spaces doing that, does having the screen rendering mode set to System cause that?  Because I never saw that until I switched it from OpenGL.  Anyways, I added a tiled black square in the back layer to take care of that.
Indeed it looks like different rendering methods handle the empty spaces differently. I think one of Elecbyte's docs mentioned that update but I forget.

For the top of the screen of the Bleach stage, I haven't been able to recreate the issue.  Does it matter that I forgot to put 1.1 for the mugenversion?
Here's how it looks in 1.0 with debugbg:

But now that you mention it, the top boundary is different between 1.0 and 1.1. It scrolls less in 1.1, even though you have no zoom going. I never experienced that discrepancy myself, so maybe it's the stage scaling that is handled differently?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:04:20 am by PotS

N.

#5  December 04, 2022, 09:23:00 am
Ok, I see what happened.  The BG and the light beams are staying at 1x scale (it's supposed to be 1.25) because scalestart doesn't work in 1.0 (it was added to 1.1).  I'd have to manually rescale those sprites, and nothing good comes from me trying to do that.