YesNoOk

1tb harddrive capacity shrunk to 465 gb (Read 1224 times)

Started by MellyInChains, February 18, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
Share this topic:
1tb harddrive capacity shrunk to 465 gb
#1  February 18, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • joe verm's big volleyball
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
yeah so no idea what happened, all i can tell you is in the title. i've been googling things and nothing seems to have come up, anybody else experience anything this bizarre happening?
Re: 1tb harddrive capacity shrunk to 465 gb
#2  February 18, 2014, 12:07:03 PM
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
Lol wtf.

What you can do is right click on computer, select manage. Then click on Disk Management.

You'll see all your drives at the bottom of the window. You can see if you 1tb has any unallocated space, if it does. Simply add it to the existing partition. If not... Dafuq did you do to your drive :stare:
#3  February 18, 2014, 05:32:45 PM
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it sounds like the disk got extensive damage, first thing it to back up what you have there and not use it for anything very important. then you want to check if the partition table got fucked up, pretty much what websta said about checking if the partitions are using all the posible space.
#4  February 18, 2014, 07:38:43 PM
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
yeah i tried that, apparently there are no blocked-off partitions whatsoever, it's just...convinced it's 465 gb no matter what, i can't fix any of that. i'm backing up all my important things and transferring 'em to my laptop right now and going to see if formatting the drive works, because i'm sorta suspecting a virus did something here. if not, well...i guess it is the drive itself getting physically damaged somehow (no fuckin clue how that would even happen with it not moving or anything) which'll suck

ah well... thanx regardless
#5  February 18, 2014, 07:57:00 PM
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
One last thing. You're sure it's a 1tb and not a 500gb right? Because this is weird. :/ you're right about it potentially being a virus.
#6  February 18, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
it's certainly a 1tb, it's been that way and has acted that way up until yesterday apparently. so i dunno
#7  February 18, 2014, 08:07:54 PM
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Did you perhaps install anything recently which could have access to your C drive stuff? It seems most likely like a virus IMO. Do you still have the warranty for your HDD?
#8  February 23, 2014, 05:38:17 PM
  • For the Murder!
Happened once to me but with a SD card. It was 32GB, shrunk to 16 I don't know why and I'll never know. I backed it up and reformatted it. Got back to 32... Then I lost my phone with it inside...

But in your case I doubt you could backup 1TB :p unless you have another disk.

Other options are that some software got permission to steal space from it and you didn't notice.
Windows has that one that uses external space as RAM. Also there's that one from Nero that uses space to backup itself amd several others alike
Lord Noble Eye of Dezeroff; High Commander of the Reconnaissance Division, Airborne Corps; Fifth Seat in the Murder's Council; and Duke of Corvus
Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:45:46 PM by The Mike
#9  February 23, 2014, 06:12:54 PM
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
hmmm...does it formating disk can be useful,if you already did that?