YesNoOk

Comic Characters and the Painful Truth (Read 19343 times)

Started by Karl/Karla, August 12, 2021, 10:46:46 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Comic Characters and the Painful Truth
#21  August 13, 2021, 04:59:54 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
Here's the thing. I like comicbooks. I like comic characters. I like fighting game with comic characters.

Threads like this which focus on praising mugen comic book characters are always gonna be filled with backlash because the reality is that 90 percent of comic book characters in mugen are pretty bad. I've even made some and they are not good by today's standards to be quite honest.

And I'm not gonna lie either, over 10 years later I'm starting to see the cracks in loganir (and verz's) game play design. Pretty flashy stuff but overly bloated as well in some aspects. I like the two and have even spoken to them in the past, but I really wouldn't put them up on some godlike pedestal as you kind of are doing.

I'm not saying it's bad to want to celebrate comic book characters but you really should understand there's gonna be alot of opinions that are on the opposite end of that spectrum if you want to have a fair discussion.

Yeah I understand... I guess I have an acquired taste.
#22  August 13, 2021, 05:41:57 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
If his profile is accurate, I don't think a 16 year old will be forking over any money unless he's rich.

Ooh... that would be nice... uh, I don't know if you could tell but, I'm 16.

So uhh... I don't exactly have a bank account to get stuff done with, if you know what I mean. Add that to the list of reasons why I haven't made a character yet. :/

Ah, apologies on that front -- regardless, there's plenty of comic book chars by him that are publicly available that you can mess around with. Might I recommend his recently released Carnage?
#23  August 13, 2021, 05:58:19 am
    • USA
I disagree with a few of your opinions but absolutely admire your passion its greatly misding nowadays. I think there is alot of truth in this thread its just got a lot of elitist language.

I think cb creators are more about the characters and adding elements than straight gameplay. Most of those guys played msh or mvc and were inspired to make their fav guy. Most of them are not coders by nature and certainly are not fgc buffs who study frame data amd char types. They are judt creative nerds so imo thats why both parties struggle to respect each other in one space. Dont get me wrong the mmv crew are very much snowflakes to the point its painful but The cb guys are alot more sensitive but they are also doing alot more spritework and putting love into something. Here its already established sprites that you are just coding (mostly i know there are alot of sprite artists here as well). In a perfect world the mmv guys sprite and the mfg guys code you have perfect fun chars for everybody but such is not the case

Also you went crazy hard on magus amd making money. Listen the best coders and spriters on this site chsrge money for their services if doing something they dont wanna do. Infinite will code the fuck outta any garbage on mmv and make it brilliant but it will cost cuz he isnt doing it for himself. There is a weird stigma tjat he is the cb anti christ because he wants to make money for his work. News flash bro EVERYBODY does. Go to the spriters bounty thread aint none of those guys drawing shit for the love of mugen community lol

And to keep on with your original request

The question by candido (very recent but love em)

#24  August 13, 2021, 06:23:00 am
    • USA
I disagree with a few of your opinions but absolutely admire your passion its greatly misding nowadays. I think there is alot of truth in this thread its just got a lot of elitist language.

I think cb creators are more about the characters and adding elements than straight gameplay. Most of those guys played msh or mvc and were inspired to make their fav guy. Most of them are not coders by nature and certainly are not fgc buffs who study frame data amd char types. They are judt creative nerds so imo thats why both parties struggle to respect each other in one space. Dont get me wrong the mmv crew are very much snowflakes to the point its painful but The cb guys are alot more sensitive but they are also doing alot more spritework and putting love into something. Here its already established sprites that you are just coding (mostly i know there are alot of sprite artists here as well). In a perfect world the mmv guys sprite and the mfg guys code you have perfect fun chars for everybody but such is not the case

Also you went crazy hard on magus amd making money. Listen the best coders and spriters on this site chsrge money for their services if doing something they dont wanna do. Infinite will code the fuck outta any garbage on mmv and make it brilliant but it will cost cuz he isnt doing it for himself. There is a weird stigma tjat he is the cb anti christ because he wants to make money for his work. News flash bro EVERYBODY does. Go to the spriters bounty thread aint none of those guys drawing shit for the love of mugen community lol

And to keep on with your original request

The question by candido (very recent but love em)

Played him, love him too
If his profile is accurate, I don't think a 16 year old will be forking over any money unless he's rich.

Ooh... that would be nice... uh, I don't know if you could tell but, I'm 16.

So uhh... I don't exactly have a bank account to get stuff done with, if you know what I mean. Add that to the list of reasons why I haven't made a character yet. :/

Ah, apologies on that front -- regardless, there's plenty of comic book chars by him that are publicly available that you can mess around with. Might I recommend his recently released Carnage?

Played him as well if it wasn't the other two mvc2 carnages that were released this year XD
#25  August 14, 2021, 03:17:27 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
I was around your age when I started in MUGEN. About 20 years ago, in the DOS era. People were doomsaying and ranting back then, too; heck, I was one of them.

And... The community has grown and shrunk over the years, many times. People got offended and left (and usually returned, kinda), forum wars have happened. Some people were banned over serious stuff, but honestly hardly a significant portion. Tons of people just lost interest, as is natural with any hobby.

This, too, will pass. Don't worry, kid. You want good advice? Put that energy to learn how to code, how to sprite, how to create better stuff.

Because, you know what really remains? The good stuff; awesome creations. Good tutorials. Fun chars. Stages that make you go "whoa, that looks great".

Enjoy, take it easy. This is a game engine forum.
#26  August 14, 2021, 09:41:36 pm
    • USA
I was around your age when I started in MUGEN. About 20 years ago, in the DOS era. People were doomsaying and ranting back then, too; heck, I was one of them.

And... The community has grown and shrunk over the years, many times. People got offended and left (and usually returned, kinda), forum wars have happened. Some people were banned over serious stuff, but honestly hardly a significant portion. Tons of people just lost interest, as is natural with any hobby.

This, too, will pass. Don't worry, kid. You want good advice? Put that energy to learn how to code, how to sprite, how to create better stuff.

Because, you know what really remains? The good stuff; awesome creations. Good tutorials. Fun chars. Stages that make you go "whoa, that looks great".

Enjoy, take it easy. This is a game engine forum.

My laptop went into a diabetic coma (motherboard failure from too much mugen stuff) and it's getting fixed right now, so to be truthful with all of you... I haven't had mugen since 2 weeks ago, AND I have to re-download 1,265 normal characters, about 100 broken characters, 60 stages or more between those two screenpacks, and a lot of other shit that just stretches this sentence out longer than it needs to be. No, I have not been okay since that happened.
#27  August 14, 2021, 09:49:33 pm
    • USA
May I suggest a thumb drive?
#28  August 14, 2021, 09:57:01 pm
    • USA
May I suggest a thumb drive?

That would be nice if it wasn't getting fixed right now. Unless you somehow think I'm the one fixing it.

Yeah I have a fuckin USB/thumb drive. I only got it after the laptop was sent to get fixed tho so it's ultimately useless now... feels bad, man.
#29  August 14, 2021, 11:18:35 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
My laptop went into a diabetic coma (motherboard failure from too much mugen stuff) and it's getting fixed right now, so to be truthful with all of you... I haven't had mugen since 2 weeks ago, AND I have to re-download 1,265 normal characters, about 100 broken characters, 60 stages or more between those two screenpacks, and a lot of other shit that just stretches this sentence out longer than it needs to be. No, I have not been okay since that happened.

Uh, motherboards don't fail just cause of too much Mugen stuff. If there's no issues with the hard drive itself you won't need to redownload all that stuff.
#30  August 15, 2021, 11:15:02 pm
    • USA

Uh, motherboards don't fail just cause of too much Mugen stuff. If there's no issues with the hard drive itself you won't need to redownload all that stuff.

Isn't one of the reasons for motherboard failure using too much storage? I didn't do this shit on a desktop like you lucky lads.
#31  August 15, 2021, 11:20:57 pm
    • USA
You're coming off as insanely passive-aggressive my guy, I wasn't trying to be a smartass by suggesting a USB stick.
#32  August 15, 2021, 11:26:24 pm
    • USA
Sorry, I got a sailor's mouth, if you know what I mean. No hard feelings, bud.
#33  August 16, 2021, 01:42:26 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Isn't one of the reasons for motherboard failure using too much storage? I didn't do this shit on a desktop like you lucky lads.

A motherboard can fail for multiple reasons. Overuse is a possible reason as well.

Word of advice, kid. Tone that down. Swearing doesn't make you cool or grown up. In fact, it does the complete opposite. You're going to swear at least have some precision to it rather than every chance you get.
#34  August 16, 2021, 03:08:08 am
    • USA

A motherboard can fail for multiple reasons. Overuse is a possible reason as well.

Word of advice, kid. Tone that down. Swearing doesn't make you cool or grown up. In fact, it does the complete opposite. You're going to swear at least have some precision to it rather than every chance you get.

Notes taken
#35  October 28, 2022, 02:33:26 am
    • USA
A lot has changed in 365+ days, hasn't it?
#36  October 28, 2022, 02:57:20 am
    • USA
I forgot this was a thread.

In what context has a lot changed?
#37  October 31, 2022, 10:32:54 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
well, to begin with, he's now 17
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#38  October 31, 2022, 12:29:52 pm
    • USA
I just released my own Blackheart and Mephisto. This thread was a mistake but goddamn is it great to see how much I've grown.
#39  November 01, 2022, 01:41:26 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
learn how to code, pick up some CB char you like that has bad code and remake it your way.
I quoted myself since this is the way. If you want a change, start to you be the change. Your Blackheart and Mephisto are a good way to start, so keep it going

This thread was a mistake but goddamn is it great to see how much I've grown.
It is not a mistake, since you got a lot of advices and solid opinions to make you change and in a respectful way. If you learned something with this thread, then it's not a waste ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X