YesNoOk

Mugen 1.0 Aspect ratio problem (Read 5112 times)

Started by Dio_Brando, July 04, 2020, 09:50:59 am
Share this topic:
Mugen 1.0 Aspect ratio problem
#1  July 04, 2020, 09:50:59 am
Hi there. I have recently bought wide screen monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and resolution 1920x1080. Before I was using old 4:3 monitor with standard resolution 1280x1024.
My mugen compilation I'm using is mugen 1.0 with 640x480 resolution, if I try anything else the screenpack looks wrong. The problem is - the image looks stretched, "fat" or whatever. Is there any option to make screen look 4:3 in fullscreen? For example with black stripes on the left and right sides? That will do, I just don't know how to do this manually. All old pc games with no wide screen support have them by default but mugen just stretches the image to the sides and it looks bad.
Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:01:57 am by Dio_Brando
Re: Mugen 1.0 Aspect ratio problem
#2  July 06, 2020, 12:24:01 pm
Hi there. I have recently bought wide screen monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and resolution 1920x1080. Before I was using old 4:3 monitor with standard resolution 1280x1024.
My mugen compilation I'm using is mugen 1.0 with 640x480 resolution, if I try anything else the screenpack looks wrong. The problem is - the image looks stretched, "fat" or whatever. Is there any option to make screen look 4:3 in fullscreen? For example with black stripes on the left and right sides? That will do, I just don't know how to do this manually. All old pc games with no wide screen support have them by default but mugen just stretches the image to the sides and it looks bad.

Hi This is a complex issue. not something like tweek a setting can make it perfect.

there are 2 things in MUGEN are locked in ether 4:3 or 16:9
screenpack and stage have ratio locked. mean a screenpack is 4:3 it only looks good on 4:3 if a stage is 16:9 it only looks good on 16:9

if you want to display a 4:3 stage on 16:9 game settings.
you can have 4 options
1. make it fat! stretched
2. cut upper and down make it fullscreen but you have less thing too see
3. add black bar left and right, you can see all things but have black bars.

4. or start from new only collect 16:9 screenpack and stages
this is a good start!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LioCn0L7QJo

if you are going for 16:9 you will have another issue
normal character looks too big on most stages, because the author of stage not aware they can use zoom to make normal character looks at right size
explained here (in this video also tell you how to access option 1-3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386Bw5Ht5PI

or change every characters localcoord which cause other problems.

if you are interested how to make a 16:9 stage with right character size watch this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm13rpdBE3k&list=PLdEQ2Uq3HHrbAjbjKMlGF3P2_YkCMfUsq&index=1

---- edit
missed you are using 1.0

1.0 will not have zoom can zoom out to make character look at right size
so you can only change your every characters  localcoord to reduce the size in 16:9
and it may cause other problem

Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:30:05 pm by beterhans
#3  July 06, 2020, 06:09:46 pm
@beterhans, I see, so there is no magic button then.
Also, I understand that KeepAspect = 1 script works only for Mugen 1.1, but not for 1.0 and winmugen?
#4  July 06, 2020, 07:03:28 pm
    • USA
Ok, this was not fun to test on my 4 monitor setup but I did it anyways.

After numerous tests, there is no way to do this on Mugen 1.0 because it doesn't have a way to center or cut off the screen.  The only solution is if your monitor has a way to display the 4:3 resolution fullscreen without stretching.

The best solution is to use OpenGLScreen in a window and just stretch it, carefully.  You might even look for some kind of utility to do this for you.  Forcing the window to become a borderless fullscreen window does not work because it will, again, stretch to 16:9 with no cutoff.

On Mugen 1.1, this is much easier.  You can just set the width and height under [video] to whatever you need and let Mugen use hardware scaling.  Mugen 1.0 is not programmed to use this setting properly, so it displays extra information and neither cuts off or centers the screen.  In this case, when I tried to use 853x480, it shows the rest of the stage on the right side of the screen.  No bueno
#5  July 06, 2020, 07:46:19 pm
I actually played with some settings in Nvidia control panel and got that 4:3 scaling with that, but it is quite a meh solution. Shame mugen 1.0 does not have "preserve aspect ratio" option, like OpenBOR for example.