YesNoOk

snk sprites how to make? (Read 24247 times)

Started by glaysonmestre, February 15, 2021, 05:56:41 am
snk sprites how to make?
#1  February 15, 2021, 05:56:41 am
  • im power made flesh! feel how weak you truly are!
    • Brazil
I saw several chars transformed into snk I would like to know what technique these guys used to create them awesome Blanka and Honda, did these creators share how they made these characters? or edited? i'm trying to create the nash kof style.

I didn’t think it looked like svc chaos or kof, I need to know the details of the technology that these guys use, I’m very new to pixel art I don’t know almost anything

Re: snk sprites how to make?
#2  February 15, 2021, 11:14:05 pm
  • Your Average MFG Forum Member
  • As Seen on Youtube
    • Brazil
    • Skype - iago-moraes
    • www.youtube.com/user/yagoshi300
ENG: Have you tried to do the same technique that Amnael SLC used?

PT-BR: Já tentou usar a mesma técnica q o Amnael SLC usou?

Homina Homina Homina
#3  February 15, 2021, 11:53:04 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I think the correct place this should be is in the graphic section, not sprite projects(as wips).

First of, glaysonmestre, welcome. Second, try using the correct proportions from SFZ to KoF:

SFA/Versus -> KOF/SvC
height: 105%
width: 79%

Also, if you want to do something closer to KoF than Capcom just resized, be careful with details such as the hands. Capcom did a more cartoonish art than SNK. And of course, the best suggestion you will ever receive about spriting: practice, practice and practice.

Have a nice day!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#4  February 16, 2021, 03:35:40 am
  • im power made flesh! feel how weak you truly are!
    • Brazil
I didn't understand it very well, do I have to feed the street fighter characters to convert?  did the creators of these two characters I mentioned not say anything about how they created?  https://i.ibb.co/F7mtLDD/download.png
Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:41:04 am by glaysonmestre
#5  February 16, 2021, 04:05:44 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
There aren't really that many shortcuts you can take. It's going to take drawing skills, general shading skills, and most importantly, lots and lots of references to ensure you're matching the style.

The image you posted isn't a bad start, but there'a bunch of things you need to adjust. Like Felo said, your first step should be to resize and redraw the character to match SNK proportions more closely. Alpha style proportions are waaay too exaggerated (in part to make attacks more readable). These include but are not limited to: The gigantic hands, the overly puffy cargo pants, and the really thin ankles that end in gigantic feet.

None of those things are elements you'll find in KOF sprites. Additionally, the lighsource in SNK sprites comes from the top right (top left for P2), whereas Capcom tends to light their characters straight from above. That means you have to change the lighting as well.

Last but not least, the references I mentioned. Thanfully, you have A LOT of great examples in this regard. Namely, Ralf, Clark and Marco from NGBC. All of those characters wear outfits similar to Nash's. Also, Guile from SVC can help as well (even though SVC SF sprites can be a little funky, it's the style you'd be pairing Charlie/Nash with).
#6  February 20, 2021, 02:25:30 pm
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmcZ9LV7WY[/youtube]
This video Yagoshi posted...

It's better if you don't follow it since the end result doesn't look like a KoF sprite. There are so many things wrong in there like the light source not being respected or actually picking the correct references to shade the character, or again not checking if the proportions are right (face, height etc.).

#7  February 20, 2021, 11:37:14 pm
  • Some stuff, Skyrim, Doom, RE3, amateur pixelartist
There are multiple ways to go, as for a start (yes, it's boring and require some patience) you could study tutorials offered by Pixeljoint http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299 that carries all the basic to start.

(How shading works at the pixel scale, how to control form, proportions, deal with "line effect", etc, some stuff I have only realized, when giving a depper dive into it).

There are paid courses if I'm not wrong, but it's better to give a go fist before anything else.
#8  February 25, 2021, 04:20:58 pm
  • SNK is life
I saw several chars transformed into snk I would like to know what technique these guys used to create them awesome Blanka and Honda, did these creators share how they made these characters? or edited? i'm trying to create the nash kof style.
Funny that you mention it.

Honda was made by Thedge, who is a user in these forums, and continues to create KOF Sprites to this day. BLANKA has edited frames from Thedge's Honda.

The closest to a Tutorial Thedge ever posted is THIS:

Pic of the day. The spriting process is revealed!

1 Take the original SF3 sprite
2 Resize to 90% Height 70% Width
3 Adjust proportions, and redraw with new proportions
4 Use funky colors to be able to shade the torso easier
5 Add final colors to the torso + add the lightest shade
  5A Do the same with the pants
6 Fix Pants colors
7 Final details added

Team Thedge continues to work hard to make this happen for the community!