YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1515960 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#5021  October 23, 2020, 10:13:39 am
- 1 is the first game in the chronology.
- 2 is a sidestory to 1, you don't need to play either to understand the other.
- 3 is a both a remake and a direct sequel to 1 and supercedes it.
- 4 was basically unrelated to the original trilogy, but the lore of dragons binds them together.
- 5 is a sidestory to 4, you need to play 4 to understand it but 5 has no real impact on 4.
- 6 is in a completely different timeline/universe.
- 7 is a direct prequel to 6.
- 8 is in a completely different timeline/universe, not related to 6 either.
- 9 is in a completely different timeline/universe, not related to 6 or 8, either.
- 10 is a direct sequel to 9.
- 11 is a remake and supercedes 1, but not 3.
- 12 is a remake and supercedes 3.
- 13 (Awakening) is a distant sequel to the original trilogy and also introduced the concept of a multiverse and sidestories of dubious canonicity that imply a larger cohesive universe through multiple eras, but it's all fanservice.
There's a 2 hours + video on Youtube explaining the evolution of the franchise, and I like the approach it gives, that there's an overarching theme of the evolution of the relationship between humans and dragons, the wars, the worship, the assimilation...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#5022  October 23, 2020, 08:49:09 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Also good to know the timeline/interconnectivity, thanks.  3 and 11/12 sounds odd when there's also that DS version of FE 1 out there as well.  Is that a Metroid II/AM2R/Samus Returns sort of deal in the FE community?
From my understanding, the DS games ARE 11/12
#5023  October 23, 2020, 10:42:18 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
They are.

- 1, 2 Famicom
- 3, 4, 5 Superfamicom
- 6, 7, 8 GBA
- 9 GC
- 10 Wii
- 11, 12 DS
- 13 3DS
#5024  October 24, 2020, 12:49:13 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
For some reason that pretty obvious fact in hindsight completely flew over my head and I didn't categorize the DS game as a numbered title until something after 13, the 3DS one.  Whoops.
#5025  October 24, 2020, 01:36:56 am
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:42:12 am by Byakko
#5026  October 24, 2020, 03:39:44 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
With all the extra bells and whistles for their portraits, Kogha and Hestu are playable for sure.
#5027  October 28, 2020, 08:00:59 pm

P D B
L  I  E
A V A
Y  I  S
A N T
B E  S
L
E

And there's a demo available ??
Eyyyyy this game is really giving us a new time jump / timeline split right at the beginning for no apparent reason.

Edit - LOL THE TAPESTRY CHANGED
Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:56:05 am by Byakko
#5028  October 28, 2020, 10:05:31 pm
    • USA
No More Heroes 1 and 2 are out on Switch right the fuck NOW.

This does lessen the sting of Travis getting totally fucked over for Smash Bros.  Somewhat.
#5029  October 29, 2020, 10:46:02 pm
    • USA
Bump for Hyrule Warriors news/leaks.  Dataminers may have dug up who the rest of the playable characters are from the demo.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#5030  November 06, 2020, 07:20:51 pm
    • Argentina
 :o
#5031  November 06, 2020, 08:36:16 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSTD2nEFsfY[/youtube]

I was playing the game so the characters are really cool to play but can't say the same for enemies because their AI are so simple so nintendo and their games for 5 years old.xD
Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:50:23 pm by yaret
#5032  November 06, 2020, 08:41:45 pm
It's a Musou game. You'll see the difference in hard mode, and it won't be because the enemies have smarter behavior. They don't need to.
#5033  November 07, 2020, 05:30:58 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSTD2nEFsfY[/youtube]

I was playing the game so the characters are really cool to play but can't say the same for enemies because their AI are so simple so nintendo and their games for 5 years old.xD

Have you tried the higher difficulties in Musou games?  I mean, you have the regular fodder enemies, and then the actual 'get hit 3 times and lose immediately' class of enemies. And that's not even getting into the objective management you're supposed to do for these games.
#5034  November 07, 2020, 10:07:39 pm
The character showcases came with a few Japanese articles showing a whole bunch of screenshots. Not a lot of very revealing stuff (beside Kohga invading the Gerudo throne room, and a section where Gerudos are your enemies but that could be a training stage, and a lot of shots showing battles against Moblins inside various shrines), except for this one : https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2020/11/06/129963.html

Face reveal for the mystery villain. Also confirmed by the text to be a guy.
More and more Gerudo imagery with that red gem in his necklace, and apparently red hair after all, they really put it in your face that he's got to be a Gerudo male. The losange patterns on the front of the robe kinda reminds you of Ghirahim.

Oh yeah, also Dorephan's face close-up here :
https://dengekionline.com/articles/55573/
He already has that scar, I thought he got it during the 100 year gap from a wandering Guardian ?
There was also a shot of teeny tiny Sidon holding a Zora spear five times his size behind a threatening Lynel but I can't find it. edit - there he is https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/kikaku/1286444.html bottom left on the Lynel shot, just before his close-up shot.
Spoiler: datamine speculation (click to see content)
Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:32:08 pm by Byakko
#5035  November 15, 2020, 09:19:33 pm

Vah Rudania action, and a Zora region stage
Looks like the boomerang weapon replaces the charged spin attack with a boomerang throw. Now to see if other weapons have similar unique perks.

edit

The blights attacking the divine beasts, awakened Zelda with the Triforce and the Bow of Light , aaaaand teasing the ocarina of Time. Not the song of Time, just Zelda's Lullaby, but at least it suggests the ocarina has remained in the royal family's possession since OoT - that' what I'm expecting instead of an actual OoT crossover anyway, and it's probably how they'll explain whatever they do with time travel.

Edit again
Got the game, played Mipha (and Vah Ruta). Strong attack creates a small geyser at a distance, personal action has her dive and reappear leaping out of the distant geyser, perform an air combo from there.
Her water attacks will heal allies, even her special. The special doesn't seem to hit, but it does deal damage to enemies... I think ?

When you upgrade weapons, passing certain levels on the weapon gives you a new skill slot for that weapon to take from a weapon you fuse into it, so plan out your fusions.

Uh-oh. One of the tips from the loading screen says

Well, the lullaby was the guardian singing, not the ocarina. Why even tease it in a trailer like that.

Edit again
Spoiler: story (click to see content)
Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:35:38 am by Byakko
#5036  November 25, 2020, 05:44:02 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#5037  November 25, 2020, 06:13:20 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Honestly it's more surprising anything on the Wii U was kept up this long.

Besides, SMM2 gives you what SMM1 gave you and more, you can just make the levels again in that.
#5038  November 25, 2020, 07:02:56 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Not 100% true. SMM2 is lacking the Lanky Mario, and the Costume Mushroom parts. Also stuff like pipe stacking isn't possible either. Not to mention we now have a 7x3 restricted space of the start screen now, that SMM1 did not have previously.

Though It was going to happen eventually anyway, so I'm not really surprised.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#5039  November 26, 2020, 01:16:02 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Not gonna lie, played a hell of a lot more Mario Maker 1 than 2 solely because of the costumes that they decided were not worth bringing back.  Of course, also can contribute some of that to the original's novelty at the time over the sequel and lack of sustained interest in doing more 2D Mario stuff, but yeah, made many a Metroid levels to fill the Metroid-sized hole in video games back when.

Terrible ones, to be sure, but whatever.
#5040  November 26, 2020, 07:34:05 am
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
And so, instead of dropping the price of the Wii U version of Mario Maker in order to compromise with the online servers being shut down (like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale did),
Nintendo has instead decided to off digital sales for the original version in an attempt to prop up the $60 Switch version, much like what they did with DKC Tropical Freeze.

It’s stuff like this is why i really wish there was a proper competitor with the Switch in terms of the handheld console market,
such as Sony making like a successor to or an updated “Pro” version of the Playstation Vita or something.
(Vita Remote Play with the PS4 is more like the Wii U since both need to be close enough to each other to be connected at all times.)
I love playing portably on my Switch,
but if Nintendo is going to keep making these anti-consumer business decisions,
I’m getting tempted to just stick to PS4/PS5, Xbox, or Steam for multi-platform games.