YesNoOk

2022 Character Updates (Read 1208479 times)

Started by PotS, January 15, 2022, 10:28:50 am
Share this topic:
Re: 2022 Character Updates (latest June 11th)
#401  June 14, 2022, 07:32:29 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
The timing is admittedly somewhat strict, but not so much that it's unlikely to happen in a real match.
Here's a video of it with debug on, if that helps: https://streamable.com/70qni5
I'm trying to do a K-teleport to the right here, but he does a P-teleport to the left.
#402  June 14, 2022, 07:36:51 pm
    • Brazil
A small update for everyone again. This update serves mostly to separate the Mugen versions from the Ikemen Go versions. Support for the Mugen versions will now be limited to bug fixing so that development may continue for Ikemen Go.

Don't use these versions in Ikemen as I reintroduced input shortcuts that will not work there.
I don't understand. Does that mean that the chars will get new features only in Ikemen Go or do they just need more work to function properly in it?
#403  June 14, 2022, 08:14:30 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
The timing is admittedly somewhat strict, but not so much that it's unlikely to happen in a real match.
Here's a video of it with debug on, if that helps: https://streamable.com/70qni5
I'm trying to do a K-teleport to the right here, but he does a P-teleport to the left.
If I'm right then the timing has to precise to one specific frame for it to happen. I got it to happen a few times and have a general idea of why it could be happening. Do you mind seeing if it still happens with this patch?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l58ygbb23xhd4gu/psg.zip/file

I don't understand. Does that mean that the chars will get new features only in Ikemen Go or do they just need more work to function properly in it?
It means that for the Mugen versions I will only be doing bug fixing from now on, while for the Ikemen versions I might add new things once in a while. Like Windows, hehe.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#404  June 14, 2022, 09:18:23 pm
  • I must continue my training...
I knew it was strange that I was having trouble with your characters on Ikemen. Makes sense now. I'll be downloading all your chars for Ikemen. This reminds me of when you updated the first versions of your characters to mugen 1.0 back when it first hit the scene. Now here we are over a decade later and it finally happened again, lol!

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#405  June 14, 2022, 09:31:57 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Yes, this seems to have done it. With very few exceptions where the shoryuken ends so close to the opponent that the opponent doesn't turn around until Gouki has already reached the ground (which I'd say is very unlikely to happen in a real match), the teleport happens in the correct direction, and always with the correct distance so far.  :thumbsup:
#406  June 24, 2022, 03:36:58 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
    • https://crashmind.wixsite.com/mugenbangers
Good to have you back Pots ^^
#407  June 24, 2022, 03:26:00 pm
  • I must continue my training...
I've noticed a significant difference in the input response since the Ikemen updates. Specifically in Vega and Nash. They are 2 of my favs but before the update where almost unusable in Ikemen. Now they're sharp as ever. I notice with Geese after his jaeken he can't run right away. I'd like to follow up with his ground grab. Was that on purpose?  ;)

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#408  June 24, 2022, 06:07:57 pm
    • Portugal
This reminds me of when you updated the first versions of your characters to mugen 1.0 back when it first hit the scene. Now here we are over a decade later and it finally happened again, lol!
My thoughts exactly. ;D

Yes, this seems to have done it. With very few exceptions where the shoryuken ends so close to the opponent that the opponent doesn't turn around until Gouki has already reached the ground (which I'd say is very unlikely to happen in a real match), the teleport happens in the correct direction, and always with the correct distance so far.  :thumbsup:
Sweet. Thanks for pointing it out, then testing it again. I'm sure the same thing was happening with other similar moves in my chars, so I was able to fix it for all of them (will reupload this weekend).

Good to have you back Pots ^^
Thanks. :)

I've noticed a significant difference in the input response since the Ikemen updates. Specifically in Vega and Nash. They are 2 of my favs but before the update where almost unusable in Ikemen. Now they're sharp as ever. I notice with Geese after his jaeken he can't run right away. I'd like to follow up with his ground grab. Was that on purpose?  ;)
Good to know. As for Geese, that's just the move's recovery frames I guess. It's generally a lot easier to get the grab in the corner.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#409  June 25, 2022, 04:57:49 pm
PotS updated both Mugen and Ikemen cast today.
#410  June 25, 2022, 08:21:18 pm
    • Portugal
I did it quietly because there are barely any changes in the Mugen versions. ;P The Ikemen versions on the other hand may be worth getting.
#411  June 26, 2022, 02:22:22 am
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
It's still nice that you keep the characters updated, even if its "just" to fix some bugs here and there. :)

One tiny, purely cosmetic thing about Sakura I found: the way Dark Sakura snaps to the characters' heads when she does her SGS looks pretty weird. Small characters like Pocket Shin Gouki make her sink into the ground, while for very large characters, the way she dangles from their necks can look pretty comical.
#412  June 26, 2022, 03:41:53 am
I did it quietly because there are barely any changes in the Mugen versions. ;P The Ikemen versions on the other hand may be worth getting.

Don't you try to butter me up with your fancy pancy ikemen updates PotS :P

Though I will check them out as well as I am also messing with Ikemen and im thinking of having a small build to play.
#413  June 26, 2022, 12:44:26 pm
    • Portugal
One tiny, purely cosmetic thing about Sakura I found: the way Dark Sakura snaps to the characters' heads when she does her SGS looks pretty weird. Small characters like Pocket Shin Gouki make her sink into the ground, while for very large characters, the way she dangles from their necks can look pretty comical.
I had already done a proper grabbing pose with normal Sakura's version, so with Dark Sakura I opted to have the original pose. I actually like that it looks funny. But will probably have to do something about small chars indeed.

It's still nice that you keep the characters updated, even if its "just" to fix some bugs here and there. :)
Don't you try to butter me up with your fancy pancy ikemen updates PotS :P

Though I will check them out as well as I am also messing with Ikemen and im thinking of having a small build to play.
I feel like I might be a bit early to the party because the Mugen versions get a lot more downloads than the Ikemen versions, even though the latter are a bit better. Time will tell.
#414  June 26, 2022, 02:39:48 pm
Are you splitting the chars up because of inputs only ?

If thats the case, why not include both CMD files in the chars and let people switch ? it would save you the hassle of updating both sets of chars.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I JUST NOTICED YOU ADDED THE SHORTCUTS let's say Geese's dash grab thing on the legs, sorry im horrible with names.
Now I can do it with fwd,dwn,back.

Awesome.
Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:53:19 pm by PeXXeR
#415  June 26, 2022, 03:51:46 pm
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
EDIT: HOLY SHIT I JUST NOTICED YOU ADDED THE SHORTCUTS let's say Geese's dash grab thing on the legs, sorry im horrible with names.
Now I can do it with fwd,dwn,back. Awesome.

Wait, Geese has shortcut commands now? Are those in the .CMD file?
#416  June 26, 2022, 03:56:00 pm
    • Brazil
I feel like I might be a bit early to the party because the Mugen versions get a lot more downloads than the Ikemen versions, even though the latter are a bit better. Time will tell.
I mean, Ikemen is meant to be like an online version of MUGEN, right? There are certainly people who like playing online, but its certainly not for everyone, personally I don't care for it at all, I use MUGEN mostly to make my mediocre gameplay videos. Thats why, if you add major updates to your chars, I hope you don't forget MUGEN.
#417  June 26, 2022, 04:35:52 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Ikemen isn't an "online version" of MUGEN. Its meant to be an alternative/replacement to MUGEN that is fully open source and actually in-development.
#418  June 26, 2022, 04:53:12 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Hi, PotS! :hyo:

Since you seem to have a bit of in-depth knowledge about IKEMEN's style of coding, perhaps this is a good opportunity to ask: how much does the command/input system differs from MUGEN, precisely?

I've seen a few mentions on the forum, about some kind of glitch that's exclusive to IKEMEN's input...? But then I couldn't seem to find any speciffic info about what this 'difference' would be.

Also, are there benefits in using a MUGEN-focused custom input system, on IKEMEN?  Like the EXPLODsive Buffering system, or the Tiny Buffering for example;
#419  June 26, 2022, 07:40:31 pm
    • Portugal
Are you splitting the chars up because of inputs only ?
That was one of the motivators but not the only one. Also that Ikemen has a bunch of features out of the box that people had to manually code in Mugen, like movelists, stun damage and tagging. But most of all, it's just more exciting to work with an engine that's in development than with one I already worked over a decade ago.

If thats the case, why not include both CMD files in the chars and let people switch ? it would save you the hassle of updating both sets of chars.
Unfortunately the inputs run deeper than the CMD file so that's impossible.

Now I can do it with fwd,dwn,back.

Awesome.
Not sure what's funnier, "dash grab thing on the legs" or the fact I know what you mean. ;P
Yeah I added them back.

Wait, Geese has shortcut commands now? Are those in the .CMD file?
It's probably not the kind of shortcut you're thinking about. It's just some CMD tricks that make some moves easier to perform, especially on a keyboard. And it's not just Geese.

I mean, Ikemen is meant to be like an online version of MUGEN, right? There are certainly people who like playing online, but its certainly not for everyone, personally I don't care for it at all, I use MUGEN mostly to make my mediocre gameplay videos. Thats why, if you add major updates to your chars, I hope you don't forget MUGEN.
Just to follow up on Umezono's post, if Elecbyte made Mugen 1.0 and 1.1, then Ikemen Go is more like Mugen 2.0 than just online Mugen (which by itself is already a big deal).

Hi, PotS! :hyo:

Since you seem to have a bit of in-depth knowledge about IKEMEN's style of coding, perhaps this is a good opportunity to ask: how much does the command/input system differs from MUGEN, precisely?
I'm not sure if it's worth delving much into that since people (Gacel) are already remaking the input parser. But the 3 big differences, off the top of my head, are:

- Ikemen can read the entire command in one frame
- Does not allow extra directions to be inputted in the middle of a motion
- Has no input lenience for simultaneous button presses

The first two kill any motion shortcuts (unless you work around them). The third one hurts characters with EX moves the most.

Also, are there benefits in using a MUGEN-focused custom input system, on IKEMEN?  Like the EXPLODsive Buffering system, or the Tiny Buffering for example;
Explodsive and Deep Buffering should work all the same as they did in Mugen. Tiny Buffering is probably harmed by the issues listed above. My chars also use a custom buffer, which was a lot easier to do in Ikemen than in Mugen.
#420  June 26, 2022, 07:51:09 pm
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
It's probably not the kind of shortcut you're thinking about. It's just some CMD tricks that make some moves easier to perform, especially on a keyboard. And it's not just Geese.

Ah, ok. Still sounds pretty cool, though.