YesNoOk

Color Separating/Indexing a big portrait (Read 11701 times)

Started by NDSilva, June 05, 2021, 06:29:47 pm
Share this topic:
Color Separating/Indexing a big portrait
New #1  June 05, 2021, 06:29:47 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
There might be some people out there that would appreciate this little technique as much as I do, so here we go:

1 - Grab your image, and also the palette which you want to apply on it (a screenshot of the palette works too)

(In these samples, I'm using Ryu's artwork from the Granblue Fantasy Ultra event)

2 - Remove the transparent edges of the image - like one usually does when making a standard MUGEN portrait.

3 - Add a new layer, and in there separate each piece of the image using a flat color - this will make the next steps a lot easier;

(3.5 - While you're at it, maybe adjust some of the colors and shading of the main portrait too, simplifying things where possible)

4 - Use the Color Selection tool to easily select each piece of the image. Then go to the base layer, copy the selection and paste it into a new canvas.

5 - In the separated image, convert the image to grayscale, and then convert it to indexed colors, using something similar to the image as the settings - the amount of colors varies a lot between your choice, and the avaiable slots from the palette index as well:

6 - Convert it back to RGB. Now grab the palette index reference, and with the Color Picker/eyedropper tool, manually replace the colors from it to the new piece, using the Bucket Fill Tool;

(small tip: I like to use Paint.NET for this one part)

7 - Repeat the process for all the other pieces of the main image. Then when you put them all together, the result is something like this:

Wow! :ninja:

I hope this tutorial was understandable enough. :) The end result is a quite interesting style, I gotta say.

Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:23:23 am by NDSilva
Re: Color Separating/Indexing a big portrait
#2  June 05, 2021, 07:00:00 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Awesome!
I'm not sure to understant step 6. how to actually replace colors?
Is it something possible in photoshop as well ?

!E

#3  June 05, 2021, 10:58:07 pm
    • Canada
#4  June 06, 2021, 12:26:58 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
#5  June 07, 2021, 12:37:28 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
By "manually replacing the colors", I meant using the Color Picker Tool (or Eyedropper) in the palette screenshot, and then apply it one by one in the separate image;

I suppose that in GIMP (and similarly, Photoshop), the most practical way of doing this is by making a selection of the image based on a color, and use the Bucket Fill tool (with the "fill the whole selection" option activated).

But, like I said, I prefer to use Paint.NET on this one speciffic part, since you can just use the Bucket without needing to select a part of the image everytime (and plus, it lets you use both sides of the mouse by default).

Thanks for the replies, guys. I updated the first post to hopefully be more clear. :)