YesNoOk

Capcom announces new Strider (Read 3074 times)

Started by Moon Girard, July 19, 2013, 01:50:23 am
Share this topic:
Capcom announces new Strider
#1  July 19, 2013, 01:50:23 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/capcom-announces-new-strider-early-2014
A new Strider game is in development, Capcom announced during its “World of Capcom” games panel at Comic-Con in San Diego.

Developed in collaboration between Double Helix Games and Capcom’s Osaka studio, the side-scroller is set in the year Meio: 048, on an alternate dystopian future of Earth suffering under the oppressive rule of the “mysterious and omnipotent” Grand Master Meio. As Hiryu, the youngest ever recruit to attain a Special A-Class in the “hellish” Strider training program, players are tasked with eliminating Meio.

Players will travel the “expansive metropolis” of Kazakh City, described as “a mix of ornate Russian architecture and hard-edged futuristic high-rise buildings with sprawling energy cables and pipework.” You can freely explore the city and gain new abilities and items, which “open access to a truly expansive interconnected game world beyond.” You’ll perform “breakneck acrobatic jumps and mid-air flips” while slicing through enemies using Hiryu’s indestructible “Cypher,” a plasma weapon that can take on a number of properties. You can also use the climb sickle to gain the high ground and hit enemies with a surprise Kunai attack, or call on allies for support.

Capcom describes the game’s level design as “non-linear,” allowing for “incredible exploration” and providing a “rich open world.” It promises to offer the series’ hallmark fluid, fast-paced combat and free-flowing traversal. The original Strider and Strider 2 developers are the game’s main designers.

The enthusiasm for Strider series protagonist Hiryu has remained high for years, Capcom said. Fan demand, via outlets like Capcom Unity surveys and forum posts, helped make the game a reality.

Strider will launch via digital download in early 2014 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii U. View the first screenshots at the gallery. Watch the debut trailer below.

Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:57:25 am by Moon Girard
Re: Capcom announces new Strider
#2  July 19, 2013, 02:11:24 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Good: Stridervania
Bad: Double Helix
...Whatever, I'm not going to be picky.

DMK

#3  July 19, 2013, 02:20:18 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Even if no one is still there from the original Homecoming or any of the past titles they developed, why not rename the studio? Just wash away all that shit so we no longer have to question them. otherwise all I can do is worry because the track record is that bad and honestly KI isn't looking that good to have any faith in them.
#4  July 19, 2013, 03:29:22 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
A new Strider is something I've wanted for a very long time. I... don't know if this is what I had in mind. I'll reserve hype until I see some more. I really want this to be fantastic, but we'll see.
#5  July 19, 2013, 03:46:14 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
look good cant wait to play it
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#6  July 19, 2013, 04:08:01 am
    • USA
If you look carefully you'll see some of his Vs series attacks c;

Such a cool addition.
#7  July 19, 2013, 09:32:53 am
  • Crash them, of course.
Look interestingly.... and I can't wait for this game.
#8  July 19, 2013, 09:48:44 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Does Capcom even develop their own games anymore?  This, Remember Me, DmC and I'm sure there were others that all they did was publish or give an IP to another dev.

DMK

#9  July 19, 2013, 10:22:45 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Lost Planet is on that list now too and Dead Rising. Even if Bluecastle initially did a good job and at one point made it not seem like such a bad idea to go out of house to develop core IPs.
#10  July 19, 2013, 01:05:37 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Hm?  What's this?

I must still be asleep
#11  July 19, 2013, 01:10:06 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Does Capcom even develop their own games anymore?  This, Remember Me, DmC and I'm sure there were others that all they did was publish or give an IP to another dev.

Good question, not even Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom were directly developed by Capcom anymore (developers were eighting and dimps with producers which are from Capcom at least)

What games are still directly developed at Capcom anymore?
#12  July 19, 2013, 01:51:37 pm
This is Great since Strider really needs to have next gen Games. Now lets see if we'll get Hien as a playable character. İ didn't see or read something about it. Video and Screenshots are excellent. İ can't wait to see more.
#13  July 19, 2013, 04:58:34 pm
Ehh. I never really liked his games, I figured the only real reason anyone wants this is because of how cool Strider is in MVC. Hopefully it's good though.
#14  July 19, 2013, 05:05:26 pm
I never really liked his games, I figured the only real reason anyone wants this is because of how cool Strider is in MVC.
You never liked his games so you thought no one liked them and people only wanted him because MvC ? The Destructoid article I posted minutes before this topic is implying the game was created specifically because of demands from fans of the original games, naming reasons why the games were popular (and that's quoting the announcement).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#15  July 19, 2013, 05:06:08 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
It's not unfair to assume that people like his games because they like him in MVC, and that he found a new audience through it.
#16  July 19, 2013, 05:15:16 pm
Well yeah, that's not incompatible. Doesn't mean no one genuinely liked his games back in the days, or genuinely grew to like them after seeing him in MvC. According to Wikipedia, Strider 2 had good reviews, and the first got some "best game of the year" award.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:19:42 pm by DKDC
#17  July 20, 2013, 03:34:09 am
    • USA