YesNoOk

Cage MK2 Beta Release 1 (Read 43559 times)

Started by SaltAddict, May 04, 2023, 06:23:59 pm
Share this topic:
Cage MK2 Beta Release 1
#1  May 04, 2023, 06:23:59 pm
    • Portugal

UPDATE #3: Fixed some remaining graphical issues in MUGEN 1.0.
UPDATE #2: Re-uploaded the file to fix some other issues that were pointed out.
UPDATE: Re-uploaded the file to fix some issues he had in IKEMEN GO (use CageMK2_ikemen.def)

Been chipping away at this guy for a year now, figured it was time to release a BETA and get some feedback. The goal here was to make him as accurate to the arcade version as possible.

What's here:
3 gameplay modes! MK1, MK2 and UMK3, all recreated as faithfully as MUGEN would allow.
All UMK3 Finisher types
MK1 and MK2 Stage Fatalities (use Juano16's stages for best results!)

What's missing:
Aesthetic changes based on gameplay mode (MK3 gore, MK1 and 3 fatality sign, etc... Only MK2 effects are available right now)
MK3 Stage Fatalities
MK1 sound effects (MK1 mode uses MK2 sounds for now, I haven't found rips yet :/)

Screenies:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

DOWNLOAD:
https://mega.nz/file/ZbFRGabD#Wl3R9dJ6MY07TCTy8DBMGFBqE20VexTFjoNwUAs5Xes

Note: For the blood on the BRUTALITY message to display correctly, the PlayerProjectileMax in mugen.cfg needs to be raised from the default 32 up to 64. This is because Cage uses projectiles to render the blood drops during the message, in order to not hit the helper limit

Additional credits to Omegapsycho, Fly, Xth@wk, Spor, Bathory/Anthony Nova and Abystus.
Some feature implementation referenced from Mortal Kombat Project.

Special thanks to TehDrewsus, Biggs, PNDK&M.
Their videos and posts on competitive UMK3 play were invaluable in figuring out the inner workings of the game.

Known issues:
He can get some insane damage by starting his combos when the enemy is near (but not quite at) the corner.  These aren't possible in the original games as pushback triggers ~100 pixels before the enemy gets to the corner, but unfortunately I don't have a way to measure distance to the corner without triggering false positives in stages that have low screenleft/screenright bound values.

FINISH HIM won't trigger against Evil and Master Ryu by POTS. Normal Ryu works fine.

Enjoy! Any feedback is appreciated!
Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:05:29 pm by SaltAddict
Re: Cage MK2 Beta Release 1
#2  May 05, 2023, 01:44:00 am
    • USA
#3  May 05, 2023, 07:19:26 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
Tested the UMK3 gameplay:

- Roundhouse and uppercuts should be pushed back when an opponent is corner guarded.
- When the opponent is about to be in the corner when blocked while you're performing a target combo, the next link should push them back.

#4  May 05, 2023, 02:31:45 pm
    • Portugal
Three of his finishers have some issues when he is used in IKEMEN Go.
https://streamable.com/sxhqpb
https://streamable.com/b8df3f
https://streamable.com/55b407
I tried him out with normal MUGEN and these issues didn't happen.

Okay, so I was able to have a quick look and the problem with the first two seems to be that IKEMEN stops registering the enemy as a target when the head/torso spawns in. I'll see if I can provide a fix patch by tonight. For the 3rd one, I couldn't test it as I can't get Juano's PIT 2 stage to work in IKEMEN. Can you link me the stage you're using?
Tested the UMK3 gameplay:

- Roundhouse and uppercuts should be pushed back when an opponent is corner guarded.
- When the opponent is about to be in the corner when blocked while you're performing a target combo, the next link should push them back.

Oops! A little oversight. The roundhouse not causing pushback on block is actually true in the arcade version but the other two should definitely have it. Thanks for reporting!
Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 02:40:45 pm by SaltAddict
#5  May 05, 2023, 04:23:19 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
FINISH HIM won't trigger against Evil and Master Ryu by POTS. No idea why. Normal Ryu works fine.
It's probably because they LifeAdd themselves with extra damage to compensate for the fact DefenceMulSet is broken in Mugen. Not your fault.

Known issues:
He can get some insane damage by starting his combos when the enemy is near (but not quite at) the corner.  These aren't possible in the original games as pushback triggers ~100 pixels before the enemy gets to the corner, but unfortunately I don't have a way to measure distance to the corner without triggering false positives in stages that have low screenleft/screenright bound values.
How low are we talking about? If those combos are gamebreaking you should just code him with the default screenleft/screenright values in mind.
Also that would not be an issue in Ikemen since you can check corner distance there.

What's with the extra Clsn2 width at the bottom? Vulnerability to sweeps?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#6  May 05, 2023, 06:56:57 pm
    • USA
#7  May 05, 2023, 10:40:57 pm
    • Portugal
Okay, so I've re-uploaded him now with a little update. I've implemented the pushback stuff that was pointed out and also added a patch for IKEMEN. IKEMEN users please re-download and use CageMK2_ikemen.def. It fixes the issues with his fatalities and also fixes his projectile which was displaying incorrectly in IKEMEN for some reason. The only remaining issue I can't fix is his run bar not appearing in IKEMEN as I've no idea what causes it, given all the other icons show up correctly.

I also forgot to add on the readme that, in order for the blood on the BRUTALITY message to display correctly, the PlayerProjectileMax in mugen.cfg needs to be raised from the default 32 up to 64. This is because the blood drops during the message are rendered using projectiles in order to not hit the helper limit.

How low are we talking about? If those combos are gamebreaking you should just code him with the default screenleft/screenright values in mind.
Also that would not be an issue in Ikemen since you can check corner distance there.

Not low at all, actually. Just checked and I'd have to use a backedgebodydist of at least ~70 to fix it. Most stages I got use a value of 20-30. I'm a little hesitant to use IKEMEN features as it would mean keeping track of 2 different versions (though I guess with the IKEMEN patch the cat's out of the bag on that one).

What's with the extra Clsn2 width at the bottom? Vulnerability to sweeps?

Yeah, pretty much. It's a workaround for a strange feature used in MK were sweep hitboxes will check for collision against the enemy's sprite itself instead of their hurtbox.
Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 11:18:30 pm by SaltAddict
#8  May 06, 2023, 03:02:55 pm
    • Portugal
Yeah, pretty much. It's a workaround for a strange feature used in MK were sweep hitboxes will check for collision against the enemy's sprite itself instead of their hurtbox.
Seems to work nicely, actually. I noticed that the hitbox viewer for MK2 doesn't show the hurtboxes so I guess you had to estimate them.

Some points:

- He needs fall recovery or many characters can juggle him infinitely. If you want to disable it, just make him land on his feet automatically (similar to state 5040)
- The Clsn2 move around a lot
- The run bar's bindtime breaks it in both Mugen 1.0 and Ikemen GO (not sure why so you should still report this issue). You should make it -1
- The fact you can change gameplay mode during the intro should be in the actual readme
- Finish him screen can trigger before the round starts if you press F2, bugging the whole thing. Could have a roundstate check
- The triple uppercut fatality could make P2 explode 3 times if they lack the required animation
- F2 can sometimes trigger "Finish Him" for both players (not a big deal and it might be possible in the source games as well)
- He can have more than one finish him helper at a time
- I couldn't figure out why some fatalities bug Ikemen yet, but that's not your fault so you shouldn't worry too much about it. It'd however be useful if you reported these issues at GitHub so people can keep track of them
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#9  May 06, 2023, 04:51:06 pm
    • Portugal

-snip-

Thanks for the feedback! I'll address these issues and do some reporting on the IKEMEN github later tonight.  The clsn2 moving around is because the source game automatically calculates the hurtbox based on sprite width, without taking the axis into account. I had to do the maths for every single sprite :/

- The triple uppercut fatality could make P2 explode 3 times if they lack the required animation

I actually wanted to do the this but it went way over the 56 helper limit. I'll have to do a new effect for it. Might be funny to have progressively less meat chunks spawn in lol

#10  May 06, 2023, 10:32:55 pm
Dig it bro  :thumbsup: can't wait to check this out
#11  May 08, 2023, 08:47:45 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Can't wait for the full release, very interesting.
Dunno, I don't like the way to select the gameplay. I would suggestion something like the palette selector on some edits. At the intro of Cage you can select what gameplay you wanna use.
#12  May 08, 2023, 11:00:50 pm
    • Portugal
Found a few more things:

- You could disable the AI helper when the AI is off
- The run bar shares PalFX with Cage (needs ownpal)
- The way you coded his state 5120, he won't get up if he's coming out of some custom states (try my Shin Akuma's Misogi)
- He faces the wrong way after a throw
- His fireballs can't trade with each other
- He only screams in pain if he's in guard distance or something. Fireballs don't always make him do it
- His running animation has some sprite ripping artifacts

(Some of these might be accurate to the games)
#13  May 09, 2023, 03:37:43 pm
    • Portugal
New update! Should fix most of the new issues that were pointed out. Unless anyone finds anything really game-breaking, this will probably be the last update until the full release (do still report any bugs you find though!).

Can't wait for the full release, very interesting.
Dunno, I don't like the way to select the gameplay. I would suggestion something like the palette selector on some edits. At the intro of Cage you can select what gameplay you wanna use.

You can already toggle between gameplay modes by pressing "start" during the intro. Do you mean he should have a proper menu for it?

- He only screams in pain if he's in guard distance or something. Fireballs don't always make him do it

What's most likely happening is that those fireball helpers are being destroyed right after they hit. Cage needs to read the enemy's hitdefattr during state 5000 to play the appropriate voice clips (its also why the AI Projectile Detect system is out at all times, so he can use trigger redirection on projectile helpers). I've made it so he plays a random hitsound if he can't read a hitdefattr, which should make it less noticeable.
Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 04:20:15 pm by SaltAddict
#14  May 10, 2023, 12:48:59 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
Code:
.\external\script\start.lua:1403: chars\CageMK2/files/Constants.cns:1053:
Missing '=' or '!='
stack traceback:
[G]: in function 'game'
.\external\script\start.lua:1403: in function 'f_game'
.\external\script\start.lua:1839: in function 'launchFight'
external/script/default.lua:2: in function <external/script/default.lua:0>
.\external\script\start.lua:1457: in function 'f'
external/script/main.lua:3069: in function 'loop'
external/script/main.lua:3189: in function 'loop'
external/script/main.lua:4156: in main chunk
[G]: ?

This is an error I got from your update. Plus, IIRC, that roundhouse still doesn't cornerpush in the UMK3 version from your last update, but at least the target combo can do that while the opponent is guarded. Also probably a suggestion, have you thought of adding some finish music based on a stage you're in?
#15  May 10, 2023, 01:59:36 am
    • Portugal
Code:
.\external\script\start.lua:1403: chars\CageMK2/files/Constants.cns:1053:
Missing '=' or '!='
stack traceback:
[G]: in function 'game'
.\external\script\start.lua:1403: in function 'f_game'
.\external\script\start.lua:1839: in function 'launchFight'
external/script/default.lua:2: in function <external/script/default.lua:0>
.\external\script\start.lua:1457: in function 'f'
external/script/main.lua:3069: in function 'loop'
external/script/main.lua:3189: in function 'loop'
external/script/main.lua:4156: in main chunk
[G]: ?

This is an error I got from your update. Plus, IIRC, that roundhouse still doesn't cornerpush in the UMK3 version from your last update, but at least the target combo can do that while the opponent is guarded. Also probably a suggestion, have you thought of adding some finish music based on a stage you're in?

Re-uploaded again, should work now. Apparently IKEMEN doesn't accept "!hitdefattr" even though MUGEN is fine with it. The music thing is a good idea, I might add it in the config as another list of stage names. Or it could probably be implemented in the stage itself in IKEMEN GO.

The UMK3 roundhouse not causing pushback on block is accurate to the arcade version.
#16  May 11, 2023, 12:03:58 am
    • Germany
Sorry, I misread about the select option. No, it's nice the way it is, but...

There is something wrong with the icons.

Tested in MUGEN 1.0.
Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:08:05 am by Staubhold
#17  May 11, 2023, 01:55:39 pm
    • Portugal
Sorry, I misread about the select option. No, it's nice the way it is, but...

There is something wrong with the icons.

Tested in MUGEN 1.0.

Re-download and try it now, I think it was the bindtime on the explods messing it up again.
#18  May 12, 2023, 04:04:40 pm
    • Germany
Yes, thank you. Icons now stay in place, but...

There are some stray pixel moving quickly behind Cage if he runs.
This is not something new, this was already part of the last version.

It appears behind Cage and moves quickly in a opposite direction out of the screen.
Could that stray pixel be part of the run bar depleting?

Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 04:10:22 pm by Staubhold
#19  May 12, 2023, 04:34:50 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Pics are showing normally for me.
#20  May 12, 2023, 09:55:41 pm
    • Portugal
Yes, thank you. Icons now stay in place, but...

There are some stray pixel moving quickly behind Cage if he runs.
This is not something new, this was already part of the last version.

It appears behind Cage and moves quickly in a opposite direction out of the screen.
Could that stray pixel be part of the run bar depleting?

Those running sprites came from a sheet so it was just a small error I made when cutting them up. I've fixed it up now and re-uploaded again.
#21  May 18, 2023, 06:34:30 am
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
This is a really great project! I'm a fan of the classic MK games, and I think you've really done this character justice. I especially like how you can switch between 3 different game modes based on the original 3 classic games.

Nicely done!
#22  May 21, 2023, 08:49:04 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
The music thing is a good idea, I might add it in the config as another list of stage names. Or it could probably be implemented in the stage itself in IKEMEN GO.

Back in Winmugen/1.0, Juano16 included a common.snd where the Finish/Win music would play depending on which stage you're in. Luckily, it's still online! https://www.4shared.com/rar/EuHg_zkE/common_finish_him_musics_v19.html#_=_

Although I think it's redundant now since IKEMEN Go now has more stage interactivity features.
#23  August 01, 2023, 11:00:59 pm
    • USA
Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:59:08 pm by LuigiMario79
#24  August 10, 2023, 09:25:01 pm
    • USA
The finishers (with the exception of the Brain Buster fatality and the Torso Rip when used on compatible characters) have issues in the latest nightly build of Ikemen GO.
https://streamable.com/ljf1sp
https://streamable.com/o8uy7k
https://streamable.com/rgy98q
https://streamable.com/0wkex4
https://streamable.com/xmfpd9 (Only happens at certain positions and when the victim has animation 57630)

Here's the link to the build:
https://github.com/ikemen-engine/Ikemen-GO/releases/tag/nightly

Update: The decapitation issues for compatible characters ironically work on the latest nightly build when using the .def file meant for regular MUGEN on it. The exploding into gibs issue when using the decapitation and torso rip finishers on non-compatible characters still remains, though.
#25  August 10, 2023, 09:42:07 pm
    • USA
Update: The decapitation issues for compatible characters ironically work on the latest nightly build when using the .def file meant for regular MUGEN on it. The exploding into gibs issue when using the decapitation and torso rip finishers on non-compatible characters still remains, though.

Found a fix! Set the bindtime of the frozen gibs to 1 instead of -1.
#26  October 14, 2023, 07:07:47 pm
    • USA
I found another issue, the opponent's fatality compatibility sprites are the wrong size if the opponent's xscale and yscale values are anything below or above 1.
#27  October 28, 2023, 06:15:54 pm
    • Portugal
I found another issue, the opponent's fatality compatibility sprites are the wrong size if the opponent's xscale and yscale values are anything below or above 1.

I might have an idea of what's causing this, does this affect all the sprites or just the ones for flying heads and torsos? Thanks for reporting all these issues btw, next update will have better ikemen support in general
#28  October 28, 2023, 06:43:52 pm
    • USA

I might have an idea of what's causing this, does this affect all the sprites or just the ones for flying heads and torsos? Thanks for reporting all these issues btw, next update will have better ikemen support in general

Just the flying heads and torsos.