YesNoOk

what game are you playing right now (Read 916205 times)

Started by Shunu, December 09, 2009, 09:37:27 PM
Share this topic:
Re: what game are you playing right now
#5141  November 06, 2020, 07:07:43 PM
  • Beast of Blood
  • Halloween will be always in my heart
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I got a PS4 recently, so I've been played Megaman 11 and Genshin Impact. And past weeks ago I got back my Xbox 360 and played Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga with my 5yo son, we got so much fun there :D
#5142  November 07, 2020, 12:42:45 AM
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Mega Man 11's fun, but I never could get used to Rock's new voice.

I'll add my piece, since last time I gave up on Devil May Cry from before and have been knocking off other backlog titles, currently on Celeste.  And I think I'm in love with this game.  Its got just quite the right amount of challenge to its platforming for all its strawberries, has a surprisingly deep story for, you know, a Kaizo Mario platformer that's not too absorbed into itself but has enough to make me genuinely care about Madeline (Depression and Mario platforming challenges just go hand-in-hand, as you know), and just overall is a joy to play.  Beat the story, just cleaning up the collectables.

Only bother is the real ending is teased to you right after your normal ending, but then they only tell you afterwords you need to 100% the game to get the final level.  And apparently there's DLC that follows up after that but also requires you to 100% that epilogue as well.  So those puzzles throughout suddenly become mandatory rather than optional.  But hey, it's fun to play getting them anyways, so not particularly a downer.

As an aside, I never really considered how one could make Banjo-Kazooie speech noises sad, but this game apparently found a way.
Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:04:47 AM by Long John Killer
#5143  November 07, 2020, 02:24:51 AM
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

I just picked up Mad Rat Dead, a rhythm game/platformer hybrid.  You play as a dead lab rat who gets brought back to life for one day to take his revenge against the human scientist who killed him.  Standard sidescroller design with the added twist that every movement, jump, and attack has to be timed to the beat of the BGM.

I completely adore this game.  The gameplay can be a bit rough in some places, but the audio and visual design is 100% up my alley.  It has a beautiful and often very grotesque punk/comic book art style, and an absolute banger electro swing soundtrack.  It's got such a thoroughly unique and fully realized aesthetic that I love to see in a game.
#5144  November 08, 2020, 05:14:10 PM
    • USA
Coincidentally, just starting Celeste for the first time now despite getting bombarded with 9/10 and 10/10 reviews when it came out, this just got shared on Nintendo news recently.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/372202-celeste-s-creator-says-they-ve-come-to-realize-that-the-game-s-ma?fbclid=IwAR1i2CmfKEhr2OaPSdZwJOPNyOF2glYl7Igw-54X0GRPCWL7UE-CXRakk5Q

And.....huh.  Good on them and all, but lacking the hindsight to mull over the story for that long, I don't quite see it that way?

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Unfortunately, I'm still not done 100%-ing the collectables to get the full ending yet, so I dunno if I'm just missing key details people have had for years that I'm just not privy to yet.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:25:18 PM by Long John Killer
#5145  November 08, 2020, 06:53:12 PM
I very vaguely heard about that stuff and I don't even know what the game is, but if the author says "I based the character on my own personal struggles" and then the author also says "actually after writing all this, I realized X and Y about myself", it seems pretty obvious that the character being based on the same struggle gets the same answer. This isn't about you wanting to imagine what the character is in your own head, this is about what the author learned about themselves, it doesn't really matter how you interpreted that backstory. If the game does reflect the author's own struggles, all that means is that you are misunderstanding the author, maybe because you don't recognize it and don't expect it.
Also apparently other people with similar experience immediately recognized it, it seems ? Maybe what you think means something else is just how it looks like for someone who has those struggles, as seen by someone who doesn't.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:59:01 PM by Byakko
#5146  November 08, 2020, 07:18:41 PM
    • USA
Sure.  And I don't mean that they're wrong because....duh.  It's their story.  But I'm also currently LOOKING at said story and scratching my head how they're reaching that conclusion.  But checking the blog post seems that essentially, yeah, I am missing said key details that others have picked up on in the epilogue and DLC.

So basically whoops, this news post was a spoiler that people were waiting for a while for and I was late coming in and still in the middle of the story.  Oh well.  Snape is Luke's father and Darth Vader kills Dumbledore at the end.

Guess it wouldn't be the first misinterpretation going on mid-story though, because until about the halfway point I was under the impression Madeline was a runaway, say, 13-year old?  Between her being really short and her homesickness calling home like it was EarthBound.  Wasn't until the chapter devoted just to story exposition that she says how she often deals with depression by getting plastered and arguing on internet forums that I went "Oh" and realized I was mistaken.  And then I wondered for a bit if this was like Psychotic's games like MechaNika and she's just a REALLLY messed-up child or not, would fit into the story's narrative, but nah, it's just the art direction deceiving you.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:40:14 PM by Long John Killer
#5147  November 08, 2020, 07:38:05 PM
You're watching it, they're living it. The blog post says the DLC was written after the author started figuring things out, so the main game is still the same thing : that's just what it looks like when someone who doesn't have those struggles watches someone ho has them but hasn't figured it out yet. Even without the DLC. What this should tell you is, maybe people who look like that have similar struggles that I don't see.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#5148  November 22, 2020, 12:24:53 AM
    • USA
Well, the follow-up to that now; I've 100%-ed Celeste.  All of it that it considers "mandatory until there's no more progression to be had", the only things I left were the Golden Strawberries which are just endurance runs to beat the game without dying, no real reward for the brain aneurisms I'd get attempting THAT.  The Farewell DLC took 2740 deaths at 16 hours alone for the one level.

So....first and foremost, I adored this game front to back.  It is likely sitting at my game of the year, only it's competing with A Hat in Time, Doom Eternal and FFVIIR I played this year, so yeah, good games all around.  Despite that large number I gave prior for just one level, albeit an intentionally super hard challenging one, the even bigger total for the game as a whole was 9000+ deaths at 60 hours and still I never really felt cheated out of any of those deaths due to bad game design, just my own failings.  That's a great feeling in a platformer, hell, video games in general, and amusingly fitting enough there's an underlying thread lining message of learning through failure in both gameplay and story to push you to do better.  It was just overall a very GOOD game without spoiling beyond the officially public materials, I see why it got all those 10/10s and was up for GotY two years ago.

....But since that news article, I found myself scrutinizing every scene and background material to fit into the developer's intended takeaway, and again, I can see it much more clearly (There's a bit at the end of the DLC that implies it more heavy-handedly) but I kinda liked it better as vague enough to fill in your own headcanon.  I was picturing, like, she caused an accident that killed a family member or something, stemming from her panic attacks or something.  Ah well, it's not really a "negative', just strange to hear the impact of the finale when still only half-way through initially, painting the rest of the story before I get there.

Anyways, I need to find a new game to start up from the backlog.  Something easy and less twitchy-into-perfection.  Like Yooka-Laylee.  Or Dark Souls.

Oh also Celeste's OST is fantastic.

Considering buying the three albums digitally just to support them.
Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:33:01 AM by Long John Killer