YesNoOk

How to scale image keeping the quality (Read 4859 times)

Started by demongorne, January 27, 2021, 03:42:23 pm
Share this topic:
How to scale image keeping the quality
#1  January 27, 2021, 03:42:23 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
Hello, I want to convert mugen sprite in another graphic style but firsyìt i need to scale the images of 25 percent. The problem is that when I go to scale image it loose definition and pixels are displayed altered, so i need to scale them but keeping the resolution.
Re: How to scale image keeping the quality
#2  January 27, 2021, 09:23:57 pm
When you scale the sprites, make sure the method of scaling is Nearest Neighbor instead of Linear or Bicubic or any other method.
#3  January 27, 2021, 09:37:48 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
When you scale the sprites, make sure the method of scaling is Nearest Neighbor instead of Linear or Bicubic or any other method.

Yes, this !

Also, an alternative is a software a bit old now... but I used it a lot for sizing up or down a sprite.
The result can sometimes be not so good. Rotsprite / rotation sprite
#4  January 28, 2021, 12:04:41 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
Wich program do you use ( i Use Gimp 2 for the sprites)?

HQ

#5  January 28, 2021, 01:41:49 pm
They talk about Photoshop.

HOWEVER, Gimp also should have the option of "Nearest Neighbor". While I have never used Gimp, a very quick google search finds you this information:

"In GIMP when you use Image > Scale Image, set the Interpolation method to "None" when rescaling. This will keep the hard edges of the pixels.

In Photoshop the equivalent when using Image > Image Size, is to set the method to "Nearest Neighbour (hard edges)"

Source: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/94905/changing-the-amount-of-pixels-in-an-image-in-gimp-or-photoshop-for-scaling-pur
#6  January 28, 2021, 04:31:49 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
Itried the command but nothing happens -        

As you can see in the second image the pixels order is caotic and the image loosing resolution
#7  January 28, 2021, 09:07:28 pm
Well, I guess if you want to keep working on a jpeg instead of a png, then you'll always have that distortion.

Bottom line is, never save your sprites as jpeg.
#8  January 28, 2021, 09:13:05 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
I work with pcx images.
#9  January 28, 2021, 09:17:54 pm
But you posted a jpeg.

In any case, if the jpeg thing is not your problem, then, of course, once you scale down the sprites the pixels won't be perfectly placed like a spriter would do.
Eg if you scale by half, you'll lose half pixels. If you scale it 3 times its size, you'll triple the pixels and the resolution.

It's up to you to add the details you need.

You didn't think you would have an already done sprite when you scaled it down, did you?
Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:26:10 pm by AlexSin
#10  January 28, 2021, 09:30:58 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
I do, I thought something like this, but it seems impossible to get.
#11  January 29, 2021, 02:23:48 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

A quick explanation about JPEG and PNG:
JPEG will compress your image and it will lose quality. This is most used for photo or very big images (2000+ pixels) as it's meant to save size.
PNG is the opposite, your image will be saved as it is, no pixel will be changed. Meant to preserve quality, works well with small images.

You'll be wanting to work with PNG. PCX is similar but it uses palettes, at first seems like a good option but is not, you'll be limited to the colors of your palettes, your best option is PNG.

As for resizing images, since you're shrinking an image, there will be distortions. There is no magic button to shrink and make it look good, you'll have to refine it.
#12  January 29, 2021, 08:39:21 am
    • USA
I've actually toyed with the idea of scaling AOF sprites a bajillion times.  It's possible (but very tedious) to get some results by scaling with a very mild filter but keeping the original palette.  You don't want to gain any new colors.  Doing this will mostly keep the original details, but you're still going to need to do a lot of hand work and reference the original sprite when you do it.

I thought about using this trick to complete the SNES version of Micky's sprite set, but even with the few frames I would need, there's too many tiny details to patch up for what becomes a mediocre sprite.  If you're going to redraw every single sprite top to bottom, then it might be more feasible.

Alternatively, maybe you can convince someone to finally produce a full sprite rip of the SNES AOF games?  The close up sprites are basically KOF size.
#13  January 29, 2021, 12:56:04 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
Indeed, that's the problem, I was searching a way to simplify the conversion process of the full sff, another issue is the images intercalation and the animations. I was searched for the snes version but ididn't find nothing.