YesNoOk

Writing Prompts (Read 4416 times)

Started by Iced, August 06, 2015, 01:05:12 am
Share this topic:
Writing Prompts
#1  August 06, 2015, 01:05:12 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
After seeing it somewhere else I've decided to run a writing challenge with you guys.

the idea is this, every week I will put up a writing challenge and at the end of the week we see who participated. There are no winners it will be a nice way to train your creativity

I will stop putting those up if there isnt much interest ( or if i run out! )

First challenge is going to be:

Re: Writing Prompts
#2  August 06, 2015, 01:32:10 am
  • all is love in fair and war
I would live in a departmentstore, it has everything
it would be awesome.
#3  August 06, 2015, 03:15:52 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sounds like a nice idea, man. But I want to ask, is there a certain writing format you want the participants to follow? Something like short essay format, for instance?
This is a generic forum signature.
#4  August 06, 2015, 03:36:58 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
No specific format is needed, I just ask that you post at lenght about whatever the prompt is, no max lenght no minimum lenght, just be creative and let the good stuff flow.
#5  August 06, 2015, 03:07:26 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
There's actually one place that I had in mind.

When I was a kid, there was a restaurant near a lake that I always wanted to go to. The food was great, but I really loved what I used to call "the trees." Of course as an adult, it was just a snippet of parsley that they would put on top of the hamburgers I would always get, but it was just magical to me for some reason. If I went during the day, there were ducks near the restaurant that I would feed my leftover breadcrumbs to. If we were getting dinner, we could look past the lake and see the houses on the other side, and it looked like a city floating on an ocean (well to my mind).

Nowadays, it's been renovated into a sports bar. Been in there twice, both as send-offs for coworkers who are leaving the job. It's kind of a hole mostly frequented by military dudes trying to pick up local girls (APOLOGIES TO MILITARY DUDES AND LOCAL GIRLS).

I'm assuming in this project that I get to clear everything out and turn it into a house. No problem. The front of the restaurant is mostly windows and it faces east, so when the sun rises, I'd get the first sun rays through them. There's a stage area that would probably be great for setting up my Famicom/Super Famicom/etc, and then I'd probably have like a guest area by where the bar is (I'd probably keep the bar setup). Then there's private party rooms in the back in this restaurant's current iteration. I'd take one as a bedroom and the other two as guest rooms. And while I have no use for it myself, there's a random-ass fireplace in there that kinda ties the whole place together, and would be kinda picturesque to sit in front of it and  tell stories to the youngins in the family.

Of course, the ducks are still there, so naturally, I'd feed them as if they were my own pets (they'd probably be close enough to that if I was living there), and going to bed watching a floating city would be a wonderful way to end a day.
#6  August 06, 2015, 06:36:21 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
A couple of situations come to mind (a couple of others I've seen in movies do to, so those are out):

- Living in a big shopping mall: sleep in the furniture section, eat in the food court, maybe work in one of the places, get some entertainment from some of the shops that provide it and allow you to sample some of it.
May be a bit too conductive to modern-day slavery ("(s)he works for us and in exchange we provide food and a place to sleep").

- I once read about someone who was in so much debt that for a year or 2 she lived in her car, but kept a gym membership so she's have a place to shower and whatnot. For a big enough place, one could imagine sleeping in the yoga room and eating off the health food mini-bar - in a way, if living in a place like this were sustainable, in a twisted way it would be an asset to the gym itself to enable the lifestyle.
#7  August 06, 2015, 06:54:36 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
My name is Yuki Takeya, and I'm liking school a lot recently! The physics lab is full of strange machines, the music room has wonderful instruments and scary portraits, and with the broadcast room, the whole school can be your stage! It's almost like a small country, and my favorite place would have to be - that's right, the School Life Club!
#8  August 06, 2015, 07:11:57 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
My name is Yuki Takeya, and I'm liking school a lot recently! The physics lab is full of strange machines, the music room has wonderful instruments and scary portraits, and with the broadcast room, the whole school can be your stage! It's almost like a small country, and my favorite place would have to be - that's right, the School Life Club!
lots of people will get it because we are watching it. :P
#9  August 10, 2015, 09:05:46 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
New Prompt!

#10  August 10, 2015, 09:14:23 pm
  • SNK is life
Go deep underwater, and meet the creatures of the deep. Or just jump out of a plane without a parachute.

Or I could do both in 1 fell swoop, but jumping out of a plane into the ocean. Both things take several hours to accomplish anyway.
#11  August 10, 2015, 09:16:15 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Make people worship me for a day :P

Spoiler: Just kidding (click to see content)

These are really fun, I hope this goes on for a while ^_^

EDIT: What are the odds that me and walt we're thinking of the exact same thing (as in the exploration of the oceans part? :XD:)
This is a generic forum signature.

Bea

#12  August 10, 2015, 09:18:32 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
That sounds extremely dangerous and exploitable.
Would said immortality heal old wounds? If so, please, cast no such curse onto me.

Otherwise, I'd just proceed with my day as usual. The contract says you can't die or get hurt, but says nothing about not feeling any pain...
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#13  August 10, 2015, 09:43:50 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I'd get some guns and look for trouble in the wrong 'hood.

Does that make me a sociopath? Maybe. But what good is being bulletproof if you can't make the most of it? I think I'd never feel afraid of street violence after being shot a few hundred times. Plus, think of all the awesome urban legends that an inmortal man wearing a halloween mask shooting gang members in broad daylight would spawn.
#14  August 10, 2015, 11:36:29 pm
See if the universe is infinite... but maybe just one day wouldn't do. And also if immortal means only no death and not getting hurt, it would be complicated.

So... what walt said about going underwater, I like to swim hence that would be a great thing to do.
#15  August 11, 2015, 01:36:57 am
  • all is love in fair and war
it's only one day immortality, so I can't get too crazy.

I'll print a banner and pamphlets for a special event at the parking lot of some local mall, where I challenge the crowd to try to hurt me with tools or weapons of their choices, each try would cost $10. I would make few thousands in a day  :buttrox:
#16  August 11, 2015, 02:07:20 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Are we assuming an unlimited budget/resources? Because I'd strap myself to a rocket, spend a few hours in orbit then propel myself back into reentry.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#17  August 11, 2015, 02:15:58 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Walt's sounds cool but I suck at deep sea swimming (I assume that immortality doesn't come with "automatically doesn't suck at swimming"), so I thought of one that I really want to do.

The Ganges River is religiously associated with birth, life, and death. It's said to cleanse sins and bring one closer to moksha (removal from constant reincarnation). To swim in the river would be like to swim in the entirety of life itself. However, as amazing as that sounds on a spiritual level, it is anything but in reality. Approximately 1/3 of all deaths in India are caused by various illnesses and diseases that are spread through the river. There have been attempts to clean it in the past but they all ended in failure due to various reasons (including government corruption and lack of support from religious organizations).

So if I was able to get to India in time for this, I'd like to swim through the Ganges River. Yes I know that some people (okay a LOT of people) use it as a toilet, and that you'll also be accompanied by various wild animals and dead people in various stages of decay (or cremation), but hey, those are all part of life as well. If you can wrap your head around swimming in the very essence of life, it's a pretty intriguing idea.

Either that or I guess try out Fugu
#18  August 11, 2015, 02:49:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
That sounds extremely dangerous and exploitable.
Would said immortality heal old wounds? If so, please, cast no such curse onto me.

Otherwise, I'd just proceed with my day as usual. The contract says you can't die or get hurt, but says nothing about not feeling any pain...

this is writing prompt not monkeypaw trope! D:<
#19  August 16, 2015, 04:41:40 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

:)
#20  August 16, 2015, 04:46:55 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
Once upon a time, there was a man named Wario.
Every day, he would eat Garlic.
One day, Dr. Mario put him on a diet.
Because of that, he couldn't eat Garlic.
Because of that, he got

Until finally, he threw Dr. Mario out of his office window and into the star maze where he got rekt.