YesNoOk

[OHMSBY Thread]: Waddle Dee Updated (02/14/24) (Read 4926836 times)

Started by OHMSBY, August 09, 2020, 05:26:17 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Which Ganondorf would you Prefer?

Ocarina of Time
23 (56.1%)
Tears of the Kingdom
18 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: October 21, 2023, 06:22:52 am

Re: [OHMSBY Thread]: Bowser Released + EXA update for 8(9) chars (08/14/22)
#1061  August 19, 2022, 04:03:11 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Something out of curiosity after checking the SFF files to change ports

Is it really necessary to add THAT many frames to the Smash Bros chars or blender doesn't have a batch option for it? Feel like could cut the frames to half and would still look smooth and down the file size by 40%
#1062  August 21, 2022, 01:57:32 am
  • The Vo-Cool-oid
  • Do you want to listen to the waves?
    • USA

Is it really necessary to add THAT many frames to the Smash Bros chars or blender doesn't have a batch option for it? Feel like could cut the frames to half and would still look smooth and down the file size by 40%

this really caught my attention, cause I was thinking about making a butchered sff patch for these chars if OHMSBY is ever done with creating characters or sometime in the future. However the drawbacks of cutting down half of their sff is you need to increase their animations by 1+, which means those characters will be in 30fps rather than 60fps.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Not to mention its a time consuming process considering you need to rewrite EVERY SINGLE MOVE, CLSN BOXES, AND OTHER CODING in order to function properly. So IMO, part of me would say NO, but mainly, well... YES.

I don't think this'll be preferable for the creator themself, but i'm sure we'll have other solutions.
He who is brave is free! - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
#1063  August 21, 2022, 01:05:56 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Bowser's great. Two things that stand out to me right now:

- As a large character, I think his sprpriority for basic actions (standing, walking, etc) should be -1 instead of 0
- I know very little about "anime" combos, but even so A, A, A, C seems too strong

Also while adding a piece of code to try out my first suggestion, I noticed that the availability of Astral Heat is calculated from the player's maximum life rather than the enemy's maximum life.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#1064  August 21, 2022, 01:49:48 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
I have some small feedback on the recent updated EXA characters as I found a debug error on one of them and the other I left out and looking at it again:
Kohaku:
-Drawn Sword-Hidden Blade's follow up causes state 1002: specified negative recovertime debug errors when it was used 3 more or times if the opponent does not recover.

Mitsuru:
The shards on Mabufudyne has shadows and reflections (I originally thought this looked fine at first, but now looking at the floor again and noticed they all disappear by a frame when it makes contact with the opponent).

It was a problem with Gordeau, not Kuroko. I had to fix a similar issue with Susano'o before.
Ah, I see. Unlike him, it was much harder to tell as it didn't happen consistently.

To be honest, I don't think it's actually worth doing. Better to utilize every single frame than bloat the SFF with mostly the effects themselves. Plus he would have to apply the same thing to his Samus as well (Which those renders aren't his as it was made before he could rip his own). It would create inconsistency and lose the charm that makes his characters unique, so I would be against it as it would no longer feel like I'm playing a 3D character on a 2D plane.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
Re: [OHMSBY Thread]: Bowser + 3 others quick update (08/21/22)
#1065  August 22, 2022, 05:22:00 am
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/view/ohmsby-mugen
Quick Update:

-Bowser, Blitztank, King K Rool, and Tager now have reduced layering priority during basic actions such as standing or walking.
-Bowser's 5C now has it's hitsun time significantly reduced whenever it is used a second time during a string.

All fixed as well.

By the way, do you have any tentative plans to add any of the new moves for characters that end up coming in the new Type Lumina update?

Most likely. Especially for Kohaku because I'm really digging her new turnaround during Magical Amber Missile and her new Charged Tree.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but are you planning on doing more KOF characters in the future? Their XIII sprite model looks hi-res/HD enough.

I'm not going to rule it out... But man, Iori with his MAAB sprites would look really out of place next to the KOF XIII cast.

Also while adding a piece of code to try out my first suggestion, I noticed that the availability of Astral Heat is calculated from the player's maximum life rather than the enemy's maximum life.

I think you might have been looking at the trigger for the Not Over Yet Helper, which reads off of "Life". The Astral Heat availability reads off of "P2Life" rather than just "Life".
#1066  August 22, 2022, 07:22:23 pm
    • Portugal
I think you might have been looking at the trigger for the Not Over Yet Helper, which reads off of "Life". The Astral Heat availability reads off of "P2Life" rather than just "Life".
I'm referring to the first sctrl in the negative states:

Code:
;Astral Ready
[State -2]
type = Helper
trigger1 = power >= 2000
trigger1 = roundstate = 2
trigger1 = p2life <= lifemax*.25
[...]

It checks P2's life and compares it to P1's maximum life. Normally it's easy to miss the issue, but if you pit him against some character with considerably different health values Astral Heat will be available earlier/later than supposed to.

Edit: It just occurred to me that using a fixed life threshold instead of a percentage might be more fair. A percentage makes the move ironically less effective against nimble characters and more against characters with a lot of life. Not to mention some people change Mugen's options to play with more life, so it might deal a lot of damage in that case. But that's just a suggestion.

In Simul, sometimes the character ends up having "infinite" green auras (helper 9883) when facing 2 opponents. It's tricky to reproduce, but if Astral Heat is available and you're in the middle of 2 opponents, it happens if you position them just right.

You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:33:24 pm by PotS
#1067  August 23, 2022, 01:33:44 am
    • USA
I just noticed something about Bowser, I realized his Turn animation is not aligned with his standing one. So when he turns around when he gets jumps over or the opponent jumps over him, he would move 9 pixels back due to the sprites being flipped horizontally. The Crouch Turn animation may also need to be adjusted too as it's not aligned with his Crouch one as well. I checked the other Smash characters and they're fine including the hitboxes, it's just Bowser that isn't positioned right.

In Simul,
This is already been known on the readme of his characters as described on the notes:
-This character was made with only single and turns mode in mind, so using this in simul mode is probably not a good idea.
So I would advise not using that mode for as certain moves like the Astral Heat would not work correctly if it connects on one of the opponents such as the other would be able to move around it while it's active. With my decent knowledge with M.U.G.E.N, I don't think it has the capability to pause the other opponent until astral heat ends. Most finisher moves in fighting games would only work on a single opponent and not two of them at the same time.
Re: [OHMSBY Thread]: All EXA Characters quick update (08/23/22)
#1068  August 23, 2022, 06:17:33 am
    • USA
It checks P2's life and compares it to P1's maximum life. Normally it's easy to miss the issue, but if you pit him against some character with considerably different health values Astral Heat will be available earlier/later than supposed to.

Ah, now I understand what you're talking about. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, Quick update for all of the EXA Updated characters that fixes this:
-Quick Fix for all EXA Characters:
Fixed an error where the Astral Heat conditions compare the Opponent's current health to the Player's Max Health rather than the Opponent's Max Health.

I realized his Turn animation is not aligned with his standing one.

This has been fixed as well.

In Simul, sometimes the character ends up having "infinite" green auras (helper 9883) when facing 2 opponents. It's tricky to reproduce, but if Astral Heat is available and you're in the middle of 2 opponents.

As explained by Zolidsone, I don't normally worry about issues that only occur in simul mode (Mostly because I honestly kind of hate simul mode), But I decided to test this out after I applied the fix tot the AH calculation and it seems that I might of ended up fixing this as well. Then again, I only tested this in Ikemen GO, so it may still be present on the other engines.

Edit: It just occurred to me that using a fixed life threshold instead of a percentage might be more fair. A percentage makes the move ironically less effective against nimble characters and more against characters with a lot of life. Not to mention some people change Mugen's options to play with more life, so it might deal a lot of damage in that case. But that's just a suggestion.

In the Blazblue series, which the Astral Heat mechanic resides from, The availability threshold has always been based on the percentage of the opponent's health. Each of the characters in Blazblue even have varying max life values, so I would like to remain accurate to that.
#1069  August 23, 2022, 03:10:02 pm
  • Proud Kirby enthusiast
    • Greece
this really caught my attention, cause I was thinking about making a butchered sff patch for these chars if OHMSBY is ever done with creating characters or sometime in the future. However the drawbacks of cutting down half of their sff is you need to increase their animations by 1+, which means those characters will be in 30fps rather than 60fps.

Just deal with it.
His file size is not the real problem here, and that "sff patch" of yours is honestly unneeded.
What really matters is people having fun playing as Bowser, not this bullshit.

The 4GB patch exists for a reason, l believe it works on 1.0 too so there's that!

#1070  August 23, 2022, 08:43:35 pm
    • Portugal
The percentage makes sense. I would've probably done the same. Just food for thought I guess.
#1071  August 25, 2022, 02:14:21 pm
    • USA
Hey OHMSBY, how have you been? I found some videos that talk about the animation of Arcsystem games Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball FighterS and how the development process of achieving their signature artstyle came to be. I thought it could be interesting to you due to making your 3D characters in blender and some of the techniques they use could be helpful when developing your mugen creations.

1)The Animation of Guilty Gear Xrd & Dragon Ball FighterZ by New Frame Plus
https://youtu.be/kZsboyfs-L4

2) GuiltyGearXrd's Art Style : The X Factor Between 2D and 3D by GDC
https://youtu.be/yhGjCzxJV3E

3) FUNKtv: How FighterZ Nails an Artstyle by FUNKe
https://youtu.be/YmhIUf-JYyY

4) Why does Dragon Ball Fighter Z look so much like the anime? Animation breakdown by T B Skyen
https://youtu.be/hdnq53SdXZE

Also I apologize for the deadlink from the last post. I visited the website and it was working fine when I visited it, though the page was really lagging when I was there. Also did you find any thing interesting when ripping the character models, voicelines, and affects from Smash Bros Ultimate?
 Also on a side note did you ever implement a special intro for Merkava and Robo-Weiss or is that still on the back burner?
   EDIT:
Hey dude I actually have one more question, its regarding the EX variant character process and sorry in advance if this comment is too long. What is the process of picking a EX variant for a character? Will it be based on the available alternative palette or spriteswaps, like the Kimono Shana, Maid Kuroko and Bikini & Swimsuit Misaka spriteswaps from Crossing Void or the Echo Fighters Dark Samus and Mythra for regular Samus and Pyra? Or will it be based on custom edit potential like your famous Robo-Weiss April Fool's edit or the Unlimited Mode Void Kirby that you thought of awhile ago? Or will be a mixture of the two depending on what you find interesting gameplay, custom development or preference wise?
"If you take three glasses of water and put food coloring in them, you have many different colors, but it's still the same old water. Make the connection."
Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:17:05 am by Little Fox: Tres Truenos
#1072  August 29, 2022, 06:48:07 am
    • USA
Also did you find any thing interesting when ripping the character models, voicelines, and affects from Smash Bros Ultimate?

I found out that Piranha Plant actually has some of Bowser Jr.'s animation files left over in his animations folder. So it seems like Bowser Jr. was used as a base when creating Plant in Smash Ultimate.

Also on a side note did you ever implement a special intro for Merkava and Robo-Weiss or is that still on the back burner?

That special intro was snuck into the first batch of EXA updates along with a few new ones.

Hey dude I actually have one more question, its regarding the EX variant character process and sorry in advance if this comment is too long. What is the process of picking a EX variant for a character? Will it be based on the available alternative palette or spriteswaps, like the Kimono Shana, Maid Kuroko and Bikini & Swimsuit Misaka spriteswaps from Crossing Void or the Echo Fighters Dark Samus and Mythra for regular Samus and Pyra? Or will it be based on custom edit potential like your famous Robo-Weiss April Fool's edit or the Unlimited Mode Void Kirby that you thought of awhile ago? Or will be a mixture of the two depending on what you find interesting gameplay, custom development or preference wise?

Kind of all of the above. Basically, EX variants will be characters made largely with assets from my already existing characters and generally take less time to make.

#1073  September 04, 2022, 01:23:40 pm
  • Guilty Gear XRD Rev Mugen Stages
  • We live in a society
    • Dominica
Resentone had adapted the Sprites of Hyde's FX to 1.0, perhaps you intend to update it and put the FX that Resentone had done?
#1074  September 04, 2022, 02:06:03 pm
    • USA
Speaking about Hyde, I got some small feedback on him when I was testing Resentone's Enigma Hyde and was originally planning to wait to put this on the next batch of EXA updates:
-The swish effect on 66B follows him while rapid canceling.
-Both versions of Vacant Shift and Vacant Shift Sediment could use large sliding dust on the startup.

I also realized 66B will rapid cancel to the opposite direction if you did it right when you go through them and that same issue applies to Resentone's Enigma Hyde as well. After looking at yours in detail since he used him as a base, I found out he has two animations for the move. I'm guessing it's because he's still on animation 240 when you rapid cancel too quickly and not on 241 yet on the opponent's side. Probably no way around that if the character is still in that animation when that happens.

Also, I forgot to mention Bowser's animation is still not fixed. If you compare the last frame of his Turn animation, then compare it with the first frame of his Idle one, you can notice that he'll move a few pixels back. But only aesthetically as the hitbox position has not been changed. That means the X axis of all his frames on his Turn animation will need to be -9 via the AIR file without making adjustments to the SFF.
Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 02:16:22 pm by ZolidSone
#1075  September 04, 2022, 08:41:31 pm
    • USA
All fixed.

I also realized 66B will rapid cancel to the opposite direction if you did it right when you go through them

This is also due to the fact that Mugen seems to still read the direction that is being held before the side switch while the hit-pause is still active, so despite the trigger for the side switch ignoring the hitpause, Mugen is still reading the command as Holding Forward during the hitpause. I managed to make it a little less likely to occur, but that is pretty much the extent of what can be done about it as of right now.
Re: [OHMSBY Thread]: Kirito Released + 8 EXA Updates (09/11/22)
#1076  September 12, 2022, 04:42:58 am
    • USA
#1077  September 12, 2022, 08:50:42 am
  • Known as Paulo S
  • Ganbarimasu!
    • Philippines
Found an error for Kirito.
The opponent won't launch in air after you rapid cancel (quickly) the last hit of Starburst Stream.
https://streamable.com/vnzmjb
#1078  September 12, 2022, 09:25:12 am
    • Philippines
I also can’t seem to jump cancel his air attacks for some reason.
#1079  September 12, 2022, 06:00:12 pm
  • Snek Friend
    • USA
    • coffeeflavoredmilk.neocities.org/
When it comes to Akame I wonder how you'll handle her voiceclips. The ones in Antor_M's from my memory were really muffled and not good sounding. Can't recall any game where she had voiceclips. You could use soundalikes from either the JP or EN voice actress of her (depending on which one you'll default too) but I dunno where those will be either.
#1080  September 13, 2022, 01:43:35 am
    • USA
Found an error for Kirito.
The opponent won't launch in air after you rapid cancel (quickly) the last hit of Starburst Stream.

Fixed.

I also can’t seem to jump cancel his air attacks for some reason.

Only his jA is air jump cancelable. This was done to make Dual Wielding a little more valuable since it grants the ability to reverse beat all of his normals.

When it comes to Akame I wonder how you'll handle her voiceclips. The ones in Antor_M's from my memory were really muffled and not good sounding. Can't recall any game where she had voiceclips. You could use soundalikes from either the JP or EN voice actress of her (depending on which one you'll default too) but I dunno where those will be either.

As of right now, I'm using the voice clips from Antor_M's version. Some of the shorter voice clips like the grunts are actually pretty clear, but all of the others sound like they have been recorded with a potato. I'm most likely going to extract the audio directly from episodes of the show and try using lalal.ai or something similar to separate the voices from all of the other sounds.