YesNoOk

Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out) (Read 2837320 times)

Started by Iced, July 15, 2012, 03:54:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out)
#3921  March 06, 2021, 09:26:40 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Jmorphman said:
Fuck John Byrne, all my homies hate John Byrne.

Lol. But I liked his she-hulk run. Byrne lit the match but bendis torched the whole place imo. Even hickman is boarding the wanda character assassination train--I mean give the woman a break already

Who wrote that issue with the Leader's hearing where Jen's rival laywer was making fun of her showing everyone a panel from the She-Hulk and Juggernaut just had sex?
That one made me laugh so hard. The Leader was laughing so hard too.  :sugoi:

Then there was next issue she's in jail with someone asking if Juggernaut's junk is big.  Looks like that scene went public. :laugh3:

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#3922  March 07, 2021, 11:43:21 am
@rgveda99 Those were written by slott, I think. Haven't got around to reading his run yet. How do you feel about the finale not lining up with your theories?

I feel like they didn't polish some of the dialogue and scenes enough to make it clear that some of the things they've shown weren't really meant to be intensely speculated about e.g. dottie and the contact monica kept hyping about.
#3923  March 07, 2021, 01:23:51 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
@rgveda99 Those were written by slott, I think. Haven't got around to reading his run yet.

Thanks. Those 2 issues were really funny. XD This was at the time of Civil War which had a crossover arc with their other dimension counterparts posing as the real heroes.

How do you feel about the finale not lining up with your theories?

I feel like they didn't polish some of the dialogue and scenes enough to make it clear that some of the things they've shown weren't really meant to be intensely speculated about e.g. dottie and the contact monica kept hyping about.

Disappointed most especially with Quicksilver. I agree the dialogue wasn't polished enough since the intent was to use our stock knowledge as fans to confuse us with tons of easter eggs for us to overanalyze. The fan speculations and leaks (which ended up false) from the Youtube channels I watched like New Rockstars didn't helped too. Everyone was expecting Mephisto, Nightmare, Chthon and even Shuma Gorath with cameo appearances of Magneto or Professor X. And Senor Scratchy turning to Mark Hamill.  :sweatdrop: Also, the Grim Reaper and Wonderman as well. But by episode 6 I wasn't expecting those 2 already. Dottie also being hinted as Arcana. But she's one of those side characters having one of the most scenes next to Herb and the mailman. So we'll see if she ends up in Squadron Supreme. I did enjoy overanalyzing everything and speculating.

This is just a fan theory of mine. MCU Magneto and his Brotherhood are locked up in Genosha with a group of unknown superhero/government in the 80's or 90's defeating them. That's really the only thing I can think of that would make sense with the mutant X gene being a rare occurence in MCU. When I first saw Wanda and Pietro's parents the first thing that came into my head is they're adopted.  :sweatdrop: Unless MCU Magneto is dead and they make Lorna Dayne the head of the Mutant Liberation Front. Worse is Magneto doesn't even exist in the MCU. We'll just have to wait and see for the Multiverse Of Madness to get more answers. :sweatdrop: So far we will be getting a mutant in 'Falcon And The Wintersoldier' unless Marvel is trolling again.

Also it's weird they are recasting some of the X-men actors. I wanted Michael Fastbender as Magneto again but I don't think we'll see him again as the master of magnetism.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#3924  March 07, 2021, 01:45:54 pm
the contact monica kept hyping about.
If you mean the interview with the actress, that was the website that misinterpreted what she said. There was never any hint of an actual big cameo by anyone.
the show did have a lot of easter eggs and they ended up doing absolutely nothing with any of it. I think I'm done with the hype machine and easter eggs until things actually come out.
edit - in fact, you know, if Andrew and Tobey actually end up in Spider-Man but only as random nobodies and not multiverse stuff and they just make some garbage joke about Spider-Men, I swear I'm just dropping out of the MCU altogether (Spider-Man is coming out before Dr. Strange, so everyone assumed that Wanda had to be the cause of the multiverse stuff that was advertised in Strange 2's title if it were to affect Spider-Man). I'm tired of Marvel deliberately lying in their hype machine or using specific actors to make us believe things they're not doing (not just Fietro but everyone from Raimi's Spider-Man that was confirmed in SM3), when they have perfectly good content that they could actually build their marketing on. Fuck this entire secrecy paranoia they have going on.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:13:53 pm by Byakko
#3925  March 07, 2021, 09:57:44 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
This fan theory conversation is interesting because I really do think that Marvel doesn't deserve any of the blame being thrown around; all of these insane, patently ridiculous fan theories could only exist because of a very specific set of circumstances: first, there's the clickbait-y fan industrial complex making hundreds and hundreds of videos for each episode, coming up with wild theories based on completely fucking nothing. Then there's the fact that if Marvel had released all episodes all at once, ala Netflix, there certainly wouldn't have been any time for the almost deranged level of theory mongering going on. A lot of this stuff just doesn't make sense, like Dottie being evil or secretly Mephisto? C'mon. And then there's the shit where interviews with Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were being intentionally taken out of context and then hyped up by said fan industrial complex to create blatant falsehoods like "ELIZABETH OLSEN SAYS CAMEO BIGGER THAN LUKE IN MANDO IS COMING". It's all a fucking fake, made to generate ad revenue.

I sincerely don't believe that Marvel was playing to the hype cycle with almost any of these things (with only two exceptions). The Dottie stuff is puzzling to me: she's clearly set up as a classic sitcom stock character and barely appears after that second episode. She acts antagonistically, but only within the format of a sitcom. It's just silly to me to think that she's meant to be anything more than that.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Lol. But I liked his she-hulk run. Byrne lit the match but bendis torched the whole place imo. Even hickman is boarding the wanda character assassination train--I mean give the woman a break already
I guess in this analogy, I would say that Byrne not only lit the match and torched the house, but also that doused the surrounding neighborhood with gasoline. Thankfully a fire crew came and put it out, but the gas was still everywhere, and the matches were still out. And then a dumb kid stumbles upon those matches and sets the whole neighborhood on fire using the matches and gas that Byrne set up.

Like yeah, Bendis and the Marvel editorial team that decided on all that Disassembled/House of M shit made shitty, awful decisions that wrecked her character. And heck, I wanna throw in the shit Remender had her do from Uncanny Avengers where she's a fucking asshole to mutants in general after doing a literal genocide and totally unwilling to help fix the damage she caused, totally erasing some of the hard work done just a few years previous by various creative teams that tried to absolve her of responsibility and make her try and fix it. All of that shit is bad. But honestly, the shit Byrne did, it feels way more vile. That motherfucker turned her evil and then made her give Wonder Man a blowjob. Fuck him.

I also feel the need to put some blame for the sad history of the Scarlet Witch on the retcon that she and Quicksilver were Magneto's kids. No, not the recent one where Marvel made the two of them non-mutants and not related to Magneto at all, I mean the one from the late 70s/early 80s that revealed them as being Magneto's kids. I personally feel like that retcon did huge damage to both characters, because being "Magneto's children" quickly consumed the entirety of both characters, even though they spent their entire goddamn lives without knowing that. Both characters started degrading and becoming more volatile, because of course they should, they're Magneto's kids, right? This really becomes apparent in most of the adaptations/reboots/whatever involving the twins and Magneto, like X-Men Evolution, Ultimate X-Men, etc., where both twins are made fully and utterly secondary to Magneto, and who have extremely volatile and nigh-villainous personalities. I just think it was a bad call, and never ever added anything good to either character.

As for Hickman, I dunno, I have to assume he's going somewhere with THE PRETENDER stuff. He's clearly been seeding this stuff throughout the entire run. I personally hope he finds a way to both finally absolve Scarlet Witch from all the heinous shit Marvel used her to do, but also maybe restore her status as a mutant (but keep Magneto out of it).
#3926  March 07, 2021, 10:24:41 pm
The Dottie stuff is puzzling to me: she's clearly set up as a classic sitcom stock character and barely appears after that second episode. She acts antagonistically, but only within the format of a sitcom. It's just silly to me to think that she's meant to be anything more than that.
I didn't know the actress and I saw nothing of the speculations about her until recently, but I'm reading the actress was specifically chosen for her role in Buffy as a vengeance demon or whatever. So it looks to me like it's the exact same situation as Fietro : Marvel picked a specific actor to deliberately make people think there was something there, even though they were never going to do any of it. If you knew about them, you had to think about it, but if you didn't, it flew over your head. It's like an easter egg for people who know the comics and the actors, except the egg is rotten. Instead of a love letter to the fans, it's more of a "I can't believe you were stupid enough to believe it" letter to the fans.
My beef is
Marvel said:
Fietro
Multiverse (wink wink nudge nudge) of Madness
"Spider-Man 3 and Dr. Strange 2 are both affected by the actions of Wanda in WandaVision" (which is something I'm 95% sure they announced)
also let us confirm this guy and that guy and that other one for Spider-Man 3. What's that, they also played in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies, and Sam Raimi is directing Dr Strange 2 ? What a coincidence !
Yes, mutants are coming to the MCU !
WandaVision does House of M, you know, the one where she says no more mutants ? (wink wink nudge nudge) <= that turned out to be just the kids but you know you thought about it
This is 100% deliberately misleading, and that's not the fanbase, it's impossible to not see the connection that turns up to be a lie.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:55:56 pm by Byakko
#3927  March 08, 2021, 02:25:33 am
    • USA
Emma Caulfield indeed was on Buffy, but her character was specifically a former vengeance demon; her basic deal is that she loses her powers and turns human and is forced to learn how to adjust and deal with modern human society and life in general. She was primarily used for comedy purposes; she only once or twice ever appears in a demonic form or is otherwise menacing/antagonistic. But that was a single role from nearly 20 years ago, and she's done other work; it's her most well-known role, of course, but if they cast her because of it, it was for her comedy chops.

The Evan Peters of it all is a way different story, and I agree that it does feel a bit trolling—even if I personally wasn't bothered by it. Ultimately, I feel like it was more of a fun tease than anything malicious, though.

This is 100% deliberately misleading, and that's not the fanbase, it's impossible to not see the connection that turns up to be a lie.
Most of this stuff is not really from Marvel Studios, it's the reporting around them. Like, they announce WandaVision, and news outlets will naturally gravitate towards the closest thing it resembles: House of M, then that gets hyped up by fans, etc. That cycle is just killer, but I can't blame Marvel for it at all.

That said, there's a few things that are legit: the Spider-Man 3 stuff might be one of them. I think the crucial thing here is that they're all (including Tom Holland himself) going hard on the denial that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield aren't in the third movie. There hasn't been any official casting news from either Marvel itself, nor even an film industry report (where Electro and Doctor Octopus were both announced). And if they are indeed not in it, then that's fine.

If it turns out they're just straight up lying to everyone because Maguire and Garfield are actually in the movie, then that's really grating. I dunno why they can't just avoid talking about it. It's OK to say "wait and see" or "wouldn't you like to know", or shit like that.

also he multiverse is absolutely coming in Doctor Strange 2, but it has been a weird rollout of the concept between Endgame directly introducing it and then Spider-Man 2 doing that ultimately pointless fakeout with Mysterio.
#3928  March 08, 2021, 08:57:32 am
Most of this stuff is not really from Marvel Studios, it's the reporting around them. Like, they announce WandaVision, and news outlets will naturally gravitate towards the closest thing it resembles: House of M, then that gets hyped up by fans, etc. That cycle is just killer, but I can't blame Marvel for it at all.
No, the things I quoted came from Marvel. They had Elizabeth Olsen do a whole video explaining House of M, she barely mentioned the kids but she specifically quoted the "no more mutants" line. That was just when the rights for the mutants were making headlines about returning to the MCU, and after WandaVision was announced but when we didn't know anything about it.
#3929  March 08, 2021, 12:47:07 pm
#3930  March 08, 2021, 02:26:17 pm
Yeah, the multiverse is already a thing (not with Dr. Strange's ring portals, that's just fast travel), and quantum travel was said to be the same as dimension / universe hopping like what Endgame did, and they've been teasing the nightmare dimension as a multiverse thing for a while now (edit - I mean various people have said they wanted to do that for a while, but it's not confirmed that they'll actually get there or do something else), but multiverse + mutants heavily suggests that the FoX-Men can be integrated as another universe in the multiverse. It hasn't happened so far.
Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:32:39 pm by Byakko
#3931  March 08, 2021, 05:36:24 pm
    • Brazil

I wonder if Shuma-Gorath will show up, considering that Wanda will be in the next Dr. Strange movie. Is it weird to think that the involvement of multiple dimensions and chaos magic would make the perfect place for him to show up?
#3932  March 08, 2021, 11:58:42 pm
    • USA
The villain of the next Doctor Strange movie is apparently Nightmare, though.

The thing with the Fox X-Men movies is that there isn't really much reason for Marvel Studios to try and salvage it: they aren't getting back most of that cast, and the last few movies have totally torched whatever goodwill was won back after Days of Future Past and Logan. Like jeez, if Fox never got bought by Disney, I think we'd be seeing a total X-Men movie reboot in a few years.

No, the things I quoted came from Marvel. They had Elizabeth Olsen do a whole video explaining House of M, she barely mentioned the kids but she specifically quoted the "no more mutants" line. That was just when the rights for the mutants were making headlines about returning to the MCU, and after WandaVision was announced but when we didn't know anything about it.
I've seen that interview, assuming it's the same one. It was from the Civil War press tour, but it's theoretically possible they had already told her what their plans for the character were after Endgame, even if they hadn't figured out if it'd be a TV show or a movie yet. I think she also mentioned House of M as far back as Age of Ultron too. Regardless, I don't think any of the recent press tour stuff has had her specifically tease out anything that never paid off in the actual WandaVision show.

I don't bother with remender's stuff bc friends said I wouldn't like it. I like both wanda and rogue having them constantly bicker at each other is just a big no-no for me haha
The Rememder stuff also infamously has Havok give a press conference where he declares that people shouldn't call him a mutant and refers to it as "the m word", and that instead people should call him Alex.

Which is insanely stupid even just coming from a pure in-fiction standpoint: mutants are a thing, the word has never been used as a slur, And of course, the mutant metaphor for oppressed minority groups is baked into the whole of X-Men, and to read that speech in that lens shows utterly deranged and offensive it was. It's truly puzzling how that shit got published. That run was just a fucking mess.

I always maintain that wanda could definitely use some of that boundless well of compassion the x-men never seem to run out of whenever they console jean grey for the atrocities her dark phoenix alter ego did. I mean, they're indiscriminately handing out second chances to every genocidal mutant they've previously fought, so her ongoing in-universe demonization is for the sake of their newfound society's social cohesion, more than anything else.
Yeah, absolutely. I guess Jean has it easier because she died almost immediately after her genocide, and then even when she came back they sorta deflected the blame onto the Phoenix Force for a time. The only reason Wanda is still being demonized in Hickman's X-Men is that she's not a mutant. So I gotta assume the long term plan is that Hickman undoes the not-a-mutant retcon and the Krakoans are forced to grapple with having to reconcile with their scapegoated "Pretender".

Remember the recent franklin richards retcon? There's a rumor going around that doom is going to marry wanda to protect the latter from chronic krakoan harrassment. If that's true I'll start to think slott gets his kicks out of seeing how far he can go with taking away hickman's toys lmao
Ugh, fuck that shitty run and fuck Dan Slott. Motherfucker had a whole ass documentary episode (available on Disney+) about how he can't complete the simplest of deadlines and needs a full other writer to actually do his work for him. The old boy's network at the big 2 truly will do anything to protect their own. ::)
#3933  March 09, 2021, 01:38:56 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
The thing with the Fox X-Men movies is that there isn't really much reason for Marvel Studios to try and salvage it: they aren't getting back most of that cast, and the last few movies have totally torched whatever goodwill was won back after Days of Future Past and Logan. Like jeez, if Fox never got bought by Disney, I think we'd be seeing a total X-Men movie reboot in a few years.

I kinda wanted to see Fox's original Dark Phoenix trilogy. But sadly Disney bought Fox at the time of filming and Fox had to sabotage the film. I would have wanted to see the Shi'ar royal guard and not those obscure shape shifting aliens. To think David mentioned Shi'ar in Legion.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#3934  March 09, 2021, 02:14:13 am
    • USA
I kinda wanted to see Fox's original Dark Phoenix trilogy. But sadly Disney bought Fox at the time of filming and Fox had to sabotage the film. I would have wanted to see the Shi'ar royal guard and not those obscure shape shifting aliens. To think David mentioned Shi'ar in Legion.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all. Disney wouldn't demand Fox to sabotage any of the X-Men movies being made while they started acquiring Fox, that would literally only cause them to lose money. Moreover, the timing just doesn't work out at all: they filmed Dark Phoenix in the summer of 2017, and wrapped a few months before Disney initiated plans to purchase Fox (which was around December 2017). That deal wasn't finalized until 2019, and until then, Fox was calling all the shots, including repeated delays of the release and mandated reshoots to try and salvage an obvious bomb.
#3935  March 09, 2021, 04:02:51 pm
  • SNK is life
I kinda wanted to see Fox's original Dark Phoenix trilogy. But sadly Disney bought Fox at the time of filming and Fox had to sabotage the film.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all. Disney wouldn't demand Fox to sabotage any of the X-Men movies being made while they started acquiring Fox
Evidence suggests otherwise (MatPat is so entertaining)

#3936  March 09, 2021, 08:31:27 pm
    • USA
Like a lot of MatPat videos, it's all snappily edited but I don't think anyone is meant to take it 100% seriously. None of the arguments really hold up: the reshoots and story revamps were all done long before the Disney acquisition was finalized, and all occurred long before the notoriously spoiler-phobic Marvel Studios was ready to share plot details of their highly-anticipated followup to Infinity War to anyone.

There's been some very important information omitted from the narrative the video presents: namely, the reason why Fox demanded the massive structural changes to the film's climax. The same interview they quote Kinberg on about his original 3 act structure also has him explain that the Fox execs rightfully pointed out that the original ending completely and totally leaves behind every other X-Men character besides Jean. Even though it was a Jean-focused story, the rest of the X-Men are vitally important. Moreover, it also ended on a massive cliffhanger that was really dramatically unsatisfying. Now, it's possible that Fox decided to ax the cliffhanger specifically because they knew Marvel wouldn't follow up on it, but they wouldn't have spent so much money on reshooting the entire finale simply to remove the cliffhanger. Instead, the issue was that only Professor X and Cyclops would've shown up in the finale (and in very limited roles, at that) and that felt really unsatisfying given the movie's story. The Dark Phoenix saga is about the X-Men losing one of their own, and if you take the X-Men out of the equation, then what exactly is left in the story?

The Skrull issue has never really been explained, but I think the Marvel conspiracy theory presented in the video is way too outlandish. Both Marvel Studios and Fox have been perfectly content to have two characters named Quicksilver show up in both of their movie franchises, and have both trusted audiences to not worry too hard about it (if they even realized they were meant to be the same character, which I honestly don't think a lot of people have). Heck, WandaVision just brought back the guy who played the Fox Quicksilver to play a "Quicksilver", so they're clearly not particularly worried about this kind of confusion.

If I may offer my own GameTheory™ for why Fox changed the Skrulls in Dark Phoenix: Fox knew the movie would be a critical and commercial bomb, and was more than likely going to be the last hurrah of the First Class cast (they barely got Fassbender and Lawrence to return this time around), even if the Disney acquisition was rejected by the courts or the Fox board. Therefore they were skittish about introducing a major potential Fantastic Four villain and decided instead to just swap out the name (because I guess the moviemakers didn't even bother making the cinematic debut of the Skrulls look like the fucking Skrulls) of the the alien villains.

EDIT: finally found this report by Deadline about some of the behind-the-scenes of Dark Phoenix. Notably, insider sources confirm that Captain Marvel had nothing to do with any of the changes; it was all bad test audience reactions. There's also some interesting drama about the changing release date!
Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:41:12 pm by Jmorphman
#3937  April 09, 2021, 11:21:56 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
The falcon and the winter soldier has been so good so far!!!
The ending of episode 4 was amazing.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3938  April 09, 2021, 11:45:37 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Ah, yes, I was wondering why no one was talking about it here.

Btw...
#3939  April 09, 2021, 01:15:03 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
You see I live in a country where Disney doesn't see it profitable to have Disney +.  :sweatdrop:

The only reason I watched spoiler reviews (I had to watch the whole thing with Youtuber's face the whole time while you can see them streaming the whole episode behind a green screen :hyo:) of 'Wanda Vision' is for the speculations and fan theories. And since I heard that 'Falcon And The Winter Soldier' is mostly an action series I think it's best to watch it once I can afford a VPN.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#3940  April 09, 2021, 02:14:26 pm
You see I live in a country where Disney doesn't see it profitable to have Disney +.  :sweatdrop:

The only reason I watched spoiler reviews (I had to watch the whole thing with Youtuber's face the whole time while you can see them streaming the whole episode behind a green screen :hyo:) of 'Wanda Vision' is for the speculations and fan theories. And since I heard that 'Falcon And The Winter Soldier' is mostly an action series I think it's best to watch it once I can afford a VPN.
are you serious? you wanna go through the hoops of paying for a vpn just to pay more for a disney+ subscription?
bro, its all over the internet... no need to pay twice for it.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞