YesNoOk

Capcom's Unfinished Sprites (Read 2280 times)

Started by 2DForever, July 15, 2014, 09:07:34 pm
Share this topic:
Capcom's Unfinished Sprites
#1  July 15, 2014, 09:07:34 pm
    • 2dforever.com
I just randomly found these unfinished Sprites from Marvel vs Capcom 2 of Hayato and wondered if anyone had anymore unfinished sprites from Capcom? I find it pretty fascinating to see how they seem to work them up from super rough sketches:

To this flat-colour stage:

And then obviously the finished stuff. Is there any more out there hidden away?
Re: Capcom's Unfinished Sprites
#2  July 15, 2014, 09:28:04 pm
Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:28:34 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#3  July 15, 2014, 10:15:06 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
#4  July 19, 2014, 02:42:39 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Here are some unfinished Cammy sprites from Super SF2 someone just uploaded to TCRF:

On a side note: According to Akiman, the idea to switch the cel style seen in Darkstalkers and onward might have come from higher-ups seeing half-finished sprites like this and thinking they looked cool.
#5  July 20, 2014, 05:08:32 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I don't think this counts but if you look at rips from CVS2 and CFJ/CFE you can see how Capcom copy/pastes spritesets from other games when they can, most notably from the alpha series.  You can see that the rips will look squashed, they are horizontally scaled in-game to look correct.
Because of this you get things like unused shock sprites in CVS2.

The other thing of note is the way sprites are "built" in-game, that sometimes a sprite will actually consist of multiple layers.  E.G. Chang's ball is layered on his sprite to save on memory, Mai's clothes are layered on her for no apparent reason.
Speaking of Hayato, the sword effects are technically part of the sprite, but are layered during the sprite construction so it is technically possible to get Hayato sprites without sword effects.