Batman by Cybaster (Read 70849 times)

Started by Cybaster, May 11, 2010, 11:28:11 pm
Share this topic:
Batman by Cybaster
#1  May 11, 2010, 11:28:11 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Hi everybody, this is my second character for Mugen, The Batman from a Cartoon Network flash game.

Kronos had ripped all the sprites and had released an alpha with some very nice sprite edits and custom FX. It would have been a waste not to do anything with such a character.
Some time ago, Shamrock had also released a Batman, using the same sprites but in low-res. His code was mostly based on POTS' Nash and Guy, and he had implemented some sweet ideas too. Unfortunately, he never got to finish the character either.
Building on Kronos' nice alpha and using some of Shamrock's ideas (with POTS' code) as well as mine (obviously), here comes a new Batman for Mugen, which has nothing to do with all the VS gameplay ones you can find out there, in terms of graphics and gameplay.

He's a 6 button character, and here's the WIP movelist :
<<<<<NORMAL>>>>>

- All standing basics can be chained from Light to Medium to Hard, or from Light to Hard, with any combination of kicks and punches.
- Same goes for crouching and aerial basics.
- Standing light attacks link to crouching light punch.
- Crouching strong punch sends the opponent in the air, allowing for Aerial Combos.
- Crouching medium kick can hit downed opponents.
- Crouching strong kick is a trip attack.

<<<<<SPECIAL>>>>>

- Batarang: D, DF, F, p (SC)
   Batman throws a Batarang. Strength and speed depend on the button pressed.

- Crouch Batarang: D, DF, F, k (SC)
   Batman throws a low Batarang. Strength and speed depend on the button pressed.

- Rush Down: D, DB, B, k
   Batman runs fast towards the opponent. You can follow up with these commands :
      - Violent Smash: p         Powerful but slow attack. An overhead, unguardable in the air.
      - Extension Kick: k         Low damage, but makes the opponent bounce on the wall, allowing juggling if well placed.
      - Sliding Kick: D+k         Average damage. A trip attack that can take the opponent off guard. Also passes under most fireballs.
      - Cancel: s (SC)            Batman cancels the run, and can chain directly into some attacks.
      - Retreat: D, DF, F, k      Batman runs back in the other direction.

- Wall of Darkness: F, DF, D, DB, B, p
   - If performed with x: Batman jumps to the back wall and hangs to it. It's a defensive move; you can jump, attack or land to the ground from there.
   - If performed with y: Batman jumps to the back wall and comes back with an extension kick. Long range, average damage.
   - If performed with z: Batman jumps to the back wall and comes back with a smashing double punch. Average range, strong damage.

<<<<<LV1 SUPER>>>>>

- Batarang Blitz: D, DF, F, D, DF, F, p
   Batman throws several Batarangs to his opponent very fast.

- Bat Combo: D, DF, F, D, DF, F, k (DC)
   Batman performs a powerful autocombo, punching and kicking in front of him.

<<<<<LV2 SUPER>>>>>

- Bat Smash: D, DB, B, D, DB, B, p
   If Batman is hit during this move, he counters the opponent's attack by sending him in the air then smashing him down to the ground.

<<<<<LV3 SUPER>>>>>

- The Dark Beating: D, DF, F, DF, D, DB, B, k
   Batman rushes to his opponent to grab him. If he succeeds, get ready for the 4 most painful hits the opponent will ever receive.

<<<<<MISCELANEOUS>>>>>

- Backward Dash: B, B

- Run: F, F

- Throw : F/B, x+a

- Super Jump: D, U (or UF or UB)

- Dodge : y+b

- Parry (can also be done in the air):
    - F (tap) -> high attacks
    - D (tap) -> low attacks

- Taunt: s

=======================| Other |=============================

- Combo system :
   - Combo system for basics was explained in the "Normals" section of the movelist.
   - All the specials can be chained to from most of the basic attacks.
   - Specials with the (SC) sign can be Super Cancelled into any Lv1 Super.
   - Supers with the (DC) sign can be Detective Cancelled into the Lv2 Super.

- Damage system :
   - The less life Batman has, the more powerful he becomes.
   - Batman's attacks become 5% more powerful for each full powerbar he has in stock.

He's at 40-50% for now. I've coded all the basics and specials (with their variations). The combo system and damage system are fine for now. I still have to code the throw(s), Parry, Dodge and all the supers. After, I'll have to work massively on the sounds, as well as polishing the whole character.

He's got HR hitsparks, as you can see here :

Batarang and Crouch Batarang act as Sagat's Tiger Shots :

Here's the run during Rush Down :

It can be cancelled into a violent smash (1st image) or an extension kick (2nd image) :

Finally, it can also be cancelled in a sliding kick which can pass under most fireballs :

Light Wall of Darkness makes Batman hang to the wall :

Medium and Strong Wall of Darkness make Batman jump to the wall and come back quickly towards the opponent, using an extension kick or a Violent Smash (different range and damage) :

C&C are welcome. :)
Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:08:48 pm by Cybaster
Re: Batman by Cybaster
#2  May 11, 2010, 11:30:25 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
This looks very interesting.

Do you plan on implementing anything with a bat car if opportunity arises?
#3  May 11, 2010, 11:33:08 pm
    • France
Thanks. :)

I just have one sprite of a Bat Car (I'll post it tomorrow, have to leave soon), so I was just thinking about an intro and/or a winning pose. If an idea arises or somebody (hint :wink3:) proposes something nice, then why not yeah.
#4  May 11, 2010, 11:35:15 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Wow this was unexpected, awesome!

A small suggestion : Batman Arkham Asylum had a nice counter stance system (I think you've played the game), maybe replace parry with it? It would work well since it's something original from a Batman game itself.
#5  May 11, 2010, 11:45:56 pm
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
I just have one sprite of a Bat Car (I'll post it tomorrow, have to leave soon), so I was just thinking about an intro and/or a winning pose. If an idea arises or somebody (hint :wink3:) proposes something nice, then why not yeah.

Which Bat-car? The one from "The Batman"? I don't remember there being a car in that game.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S

DM

#6  May 11, 2010, 11:53:03 pm
    • Brazil
    • www.rickiecreations.paodemugen.com.br
Are you going to rip cartoon voices too?

Interesting wip, looking forward to it.
#7  May 11, 2010, 11:54:23 pm
  • SNK is life
#8  May 11, 2010, 11:56:57 pm
  • Fuck You.
Aha.

Nice W.I.P. Cybaster. I'm liking how this is turning out. Good luck brother.
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#9  May 12, 2010, 02:25:14 am
  • I got a PM.
Well you have kicked my ass lol.

I guess I'll stopping messing with mine.

Let me know if you need some help on some sprite edits. I have some experience with that.  ;D

Really great work man.

Also I got some more voice rips if you are sticking to my sounds.
#10  May 12, 2010, 03:46:54 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Very impressive and unexpected :)

Finally, a good Batman for Mugen.
#11  May 12, 2010, 03:55:01 am
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
Interesting wip cybaster, very unexpected!  :sugoi:
#12  May 12, 2010, 04:46:16 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Are you going to rip cartoon voices too?
But from which cartoon? Because no offense to whoever voiced him in "The Batman," but Kevin Conroy can't be beaten.
#13  May 12, 2010, 07:01:08 am
    • France
Thanks for the interest everybody.

A small suggestion : Batman Arkham Asylum had a nice counter stance system (I think you've played the game), maybe replace parry with it? It would work well since it's something original from a Batman game itself.
Yeah, I've played the game, and this is indeed a nice idea. :)
I'll have to think about something efficient and balanced. Maybe something like Geese's reversal, performed with F+c+z or D+c+z against high or low attacks.

Which Bat-car? The one from "The Batman"? I don't remember there being a car in that game.
Kronos has gave me this single sprite of the car. I have honestly no idea where you can see it in the game, having played only the 1st and 2nd levels IIRC. ;P

For the voices, not sure yet which voiceset I'm gonna stick with, if it'll be from cartoons, movies, series or games.

Well you have kicked my ass lol.
I guess I'll stopping messing with mine.
Let me know if you need some help on some sprite edits. I have some experience with that.  ;D
Really great work man.
Also I got some more voice rips if you are sticking to my sounds.
LOL. Your Batman was a great inspiration for mine. The Rush Down move is totally a plagia of the special you took from POTS' Guy. :yes:
And both Lv1 supers will basically be the same as yours.
Anyway, it would be cool if you could send me all your voice rips, I'll see if they fit Batman correctly. Some voices from your Batman seemded to be low quality, such as the "Never again", which sounded like it was recorded from a micro.
And I could also use some help with the edits, if you're up for it. Mainly, I liked your idea of the German Suplex for a throw. Dunno if you could do the same for the HR set. I can send you his sprites if you want.
#14  May 12, 2010, 07:37:32 am
  • I got a PM.
Send them I can do it again. I'll need them all though so I can figure out which ones I franken sprited. Do you need my block too or did you figure that out already? I'll gather the sounds I was adding as soon as I have a little more time. I imagine you have the rest.

Funny, I actually hated that throw and was changing it to a grab and tazer lol. The only reason it was there is because I new shit about coding at the time and I was just stealing what Nash already was doing.  ;D
#15  May 12, 2010, 10:26:33 am
    • UK
    • www.nnaajjmugen.tumblr.com/
This looks pretty awesome. Nice to see your making a 2nd character, with all your experience it's sure to be good.
You could use that car sprite for an intro. If you know Dudley from SF3 he would come on the stage in a car and then hop out.
Also, have you made sprites be able to have palettes?
Kinda strange but I woke up today and her hand was on my ass cheek
I won't suspect anything though I'll take it she was sleeping and didn't notice
you should have flipped over slowly
#16  May 12, 2010, 10:33:05 am
    • France
Thanks.

Yeah, for the car intro, that's exactly what I was thinking.
As for palettes, Kronos made the sprites palette compatible, so yes, there are some. I'll have to work on that, and fix some of Kronos' sprites though.
#17  May 12, 2010, 05:15:45 pm
    • France
Double post !

Just coded Batarang Blitz :

- When performed, Batman automatically goes into a sequence of 4 Batarang throws.
- Total damage is 220.
- I'm thinking about adding effects around Batman during the move, to show it's a super. I'll be trying to do better than simple afterimages. :P
- For now, the Superpause screen is a simple Fade to Black background PalFX. I'll see if I keep it simple like that, or if I want to make a special SuperBG animation, with Batman's sign or something like that.
#18  May 12, 2010, 05:34:08 pm
Thanks i love batman.
#19  May 12, 2010, 06:07:32 pm
uhhh...Im very surprised. Looks great man! Just I see screenshots and i want to play with him. Knowing your experience im sure this will be a nice char. If you need any help for something just say me.

GJ! ;D
#20  May 12, 2010, 06:09:58 pm
    • USA
This looks awesome as hell.