YesNoOk

Character of the YEAR: 2021 (Read 43466 times)

Started by Jmorphman, February 04, 2022, 02:16:23 am
Share this topic:

Poll

THE ULTIMATE CHAMPION OF THE YEAR 2021

Kratos by Wou
11 (11.7%)
Shingo by JtheSaltyy
1 (1.1%)
Beast by Gladiacloud, MotorRoach, and Kenshiro99
20 (21.3%)
The Gachatuber by Dawn de era
2 (2.1%)
Dio Brando by Infinite
9 (9.6%)
Angel by KarmaCharmeleon
4 (4.3%)
Fou Lu by Infinite
3 (3.2%)
B.B. Hood by Jmorphman
9 (9.6%)
Rugal by KarmaCharmeleon
6 (6.4%)
Terry Bogard by vyn
5 (5.3%)
Q by KarmaCharmeleon
2 (2.1%)
Jiren by TeamZ2
22 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: February 19, 2022, 02:16:23 am

Character of the YEAR: 2021
#1  February 04, 2022, 02:16:23 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE:

Re: Character of the YEAR: 2021
#2  February 04, 2022, 02:37:18 am
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
let me guess,
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#3  February 04, 2022, 03:17:46 am
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
Voted for Dio Brando by Infinite.
#4  February 04, 2022, 08:20:41 am
I've voted the Beast.
#5  February 04, 2022, 10:30:13 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
I vote Beast
#6  February 04, 2022, 11:07:51 am
    • France
    • duracelleurxmugen.blogspot.fr/
Go for the Beast.
#7  February 04, 2022, 01:51:34 pm
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Kratos because of the good work in sprites and coding. Wou have a talent with this.

The same for Gladiacloud's Beast, It will be a difficult decision.
#8  February 04, 2022, 03:49:03 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Voted for Kratos. That character is a beaut.
Wou has so many great characters too btw. It's a shame we can't vote for more of his works.
#9  February 04, 2022, 03:49:36 pm
I am surprised that only one vote for this year instead of two votes from the previous past years :o anyway I can only vote for Rugal, my best favorite  :truestory:

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#10  February 04, 2022, 04:17:34 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Beast
Chilling
#11  February 04, 2022, 06:36:23 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
I vote for BB Hood's butteflies and dog.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#12  February 04, 2022, 11:27:39 pm
  • The Vo-Cool-oid
  • Do you want to listen to the waves?
    • USA
I know a lot (and I mean A LOT!) of you guys been wanting Angel in P.O.T.S style, so just to savor this moment, she'll be the only vote I'll give.
either that or because it was the first time I ever made palettes for a char :V
He who is brave is free! - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
#13  February 05, 2022, 01:40:13 am
    • USA
I am surprised that only one vote for this year instead of two votes from the previous past years :o anyway I can only vote for Rugal, my best favorite  :truestory:

I could've sworn it was one vote for CotY.

Well whatever, it feels more natural to only do one vote for the yearly one. And it'd be a pain to restart voting. :ninja:
#14  February 05, 2022, 04:37:01 pm
  • Quack
I was literally just about to pick two, when I realized we were doing only 1 this year. I voted Jiren, but I had been hoping to also vote for BB Hood. After all, there was nothing more entertaining than the butterfly arc. : P
Quack
#15  February 10, 2022, 02:55:00 pm
  • Get yer gear up!
    • Spain
This was a tough pick. I’m on Kratos, with DIO and Gachatuber as runner-ups
#16  February 11, 2022, 03:02:45 am
    • USA
#17  February 13, 2022, 03:51:47 am
I will vote for Dio. Tough choice, but that Dio is just awesome.
#18  February 19, 2022, 02:41:36 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
i knew it, jiren is the winner.
#19  February 19, 2022, 03:07:06 pm
    • USA
yet another Z2 char of the year....

hooray......
#20  February 19, 2022, 06:43:19 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
^ Y'all doing shit like this is going to dissuade people from making quality content. Stop this toxic shit. Those guys work their asses off to produce industry-level work FOR FREE. If people want to vote for characters that are custom sprited and coded as expertly as theirs, whining about it isn't going to do anybody any good.

It doesn't mean the other creators aren't making stellar work, and it certainly doesn't make you look smart just because you "called it." The last thing this community needs is people rolling their eyes at teams for making good content. If you hate seeing them get recognized so much, learn how to code or sprite a character and actually contribute instead of being annoying.

Congrats to Team Z2, and to all the other creators that were nominated. We appreciate all the effort.
#21  February 19, 2022, 07:19:46 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Well deserved win for Jiren. The Z2 team consistently blow me away with their dedication.

Lots of really good output this year, mid-pandemic no less.
#22  February 21, 2022, 01:30:18 am
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
J Shingo in dead last with a measly one vote honestly breaks my heart. Dude made a great take on Shingo with Troy's legendary spritework. Not saying he 100% deserved the win or anything, just felt he got done mad dirty with where he placed.

On a more positive note, congrats to Team Z2. May your unparalleled work continue to receive all the recognition it rightfully deserves.
#23  February 21, 2022, 02:05:54 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
J Shingo in dead last with a measly one vote honestly breaks my heart. Dude made a great take on Shingo with Troy's legendary spritework. Not saying he 100% deserved the win or anything, just felt he got done mad dirty with where he placed.

On a more positive note, congrats to Team Z2. May your unparalleled work continue to receive all the recognition it rightfully deserves.

I gotta agree with this. It was a tossup for me between Shingo, Beast, and Jiren. Went with Beast.

J's Shingo deserves more than that.

Congrats to everyone who won CotM in 2021 though. And congrats to Team Z2 for a deserved win for CotY.
#24  February 21, 2022, 06:32:41 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
^ Y'all doing shit like this is going to dissuade people from making quality content. Stop this toxic shit. Those guys work their asses off to produce industry-level work FOR FREE. If people want to vote for characters that are custom sprited and coded as expertly as theirs, whining about it isn't going to do anybody any good.

It doesn't mean the other creators aren't making stellar work, and it certainly doesn't make you look smart just because you "called it." The last thing this community needs is people rolling their eyes at teams for making good content. If you hate seeing them get recognized so much, learn how to code or sprite a character and actually contribute instead of being annoying.

Congrats to Team Z2, and to all the other creators that were nominated. We appreciate all the effort.

As much as I congratulate the Team Z2 for their win and appreciate all his/her/their efforts into making each characters for free, I still can't comprehend your distaste for people's criticism towards favoritism in this forum.
Yes, the characters are great, yes, everyone else made great characters too, but this is a popularity vote made from subjective viewpoints and standards.

It is no secret that MFG is very much infatuated with the Dragon Ball franchise (hence why 6 out of 11 characters from COTY Hall of Fame had all been DB characters) and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
I, personally don't mind if another Dragon Ball character from Team Z2 wins every year for the next decade or so, but I'm not going to shoot down people's opinions when they point out a simple phenomenon that keeps happening over and over again.
#25  February 21, 2022, 07:12:05 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Criticism needs to be founded in good faith and provide actual, you know, criticism. None of that was present in that post.
#26  February 21, 2022, 08:38:15 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Criticism needs to be founded in good faith and provide actual, you know, criticism. None of that was present in that post.

Who's post you're talking about?

Well, I usually don't go much deeper into this kind of discussion, but...
Please keep in mind that this is just MY opinion: is Jiren [or any other Z2 character] good? Yes! Is it worthy of winning CotY? Of course! The work is phenomenal as always. Is this a fair competition? Well... Z2 is a TEAM of many talented people, if you compare that with a single person working on everything, I don't know...

This of course has nothing to do with the actual quality of the characters, and I'm not saying that Z2 always wins because there are too many people, it could also be mediocre people that make mediocre characters, which obviously is not the case here. It's more about the time and effort that would take for someone doing everything versus a team of who knows how many people. And yeah, this is not the only team making characters [as Beast was also made by 3 people], and is not the first time too, we've seen many characters made by teamwork of spriters and coders.

I want to know what you guys think about this.
#27  February 21, 2022, 08:56:01 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I was referring to the original post that started this discussion.
#28  February 21, 2022, 12:13:28 pm
    • USA

It wasn't supposed to be criticism, why are you acting like it was? I am fully entitled to being disappointed that Beast didn't win and yet another Z2 char won. Not to mention, I never said anything about anything concerning the actual char so you coming to all these conclusions is uncalled for. All the nominees are great. I haven't even downloaded Jiren so I couldn't say anything even if I wanted to. Christ, calm down....
#29  February 21, 2022, 12:19:35 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
I would be shocked af if it's not jiren. lol. congratulation tho.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#30  February 21, 2022, 04:06:36 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA

It wasn't supposed to be criticism, why are you acting like it was? I am fully entitled to being disappointed that Beast didn't win and yet another Z2 char won. Not to mention, I never said anything about anything concerning the actual char so you coming to all these conclusions is uncalled for. All the nominees are great. I haven't even downloaded Jiren so I couldn't say anything even if I wanted to. Christ, calm down....

So you didn't download the character but felt the need to shit on it winning anyway

Hey don't post in any of these again with anything but nominations until further notice

EDIT: No you know what, no noms either. You're in the box for a year.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:09:53 pm by Speedpreacher
#31  February 21, 2022, 05:06:45 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
As much as I congratulate the Team Z2 for their win and appreciate all his/her/their efforts into making each characters for free, I still can't comprehend your distaste for people's criticism towards favoritism in this forum.
Yes, the characters are great, yes, everyone else made great characters too, but this is a popularity vote made from subjective viewpoints and standards.

It is no secret that MFG is very much infatuated with the Dragon Ball franchise (hence why 6 out of 11 characters from COTY Hall of Fame had all been DB characters) and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
I, personally don't mind if another Dragon Ball character from Team Z2 wins every year for the next decade or so, but I'm not going to shoot down people's opinions when they point out a simple phenomenon that keeps happening over and over again.
Preacher thankfully handled the unreasonable one, so I'll respond to this.

I don't plan on derailing this thread much further, but it's not about criticism towards favoritism at all. If you feel the polls are unbiased, that's one thing. But be considerate to the creators. Its a popularity vote on a pretty niche community on the internet. Its not really of much consequence.

But if you imagine the amount of work it takes to get as good as Balth, Cybaster, Iced, etc. at what they do, coupled with how much time they put in without a dime of pay, there's a way you can handle your disappointment without being disrespectful to the creators. They didn't even recommend a character they'd rather have won, they just came in here shitting on Z2 for winning again.

If you make good shit, people like it. Its "character of the year", not "creator of the year" (although...admins? That seems like a pretty good idea! It'd prevent this sort of thing). You have to consider what it feels like to put in that many hours into a creation for this community and have it recognized for its quality, just to have two newer users come in and disregard you...for being too consistently good. Its a pretty awful thing to do.

But, anyway! Let's go back to talking about the characters, please. It seems like the situation's been handled.
Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:12:37 pm by Gritsmaster