YesNoOk

Hmmmmm.... I'm a pre-beginner to making Mugen Characters- just a few questions.. (Read 10777 times)

Started by Mythic, October 14, 2021, 12:52:27 am
Share this topic:
Hmmmmm.... I'm a pre-beginner to making Mugen Characters- just a few questions..
#1  October 14, 2021, 12:52:27 am
    • USA
So.. I have a few questions. Sorry if I'm asking questions that's been answered before. I'm just confused about most of the things.

-So Microsoft Paint is a great place to create the character, right?
-What are the requirements for the sprites to be compatible with mugen, and what do those requirements mean?
-How do I create a sprite sheet with the character art?
-Is there a certain standard size for jus mugen characters? Cuz I don't wanna make the art and then somehow it's not proportioned to most jus mugen characters, if that's a thing at all.

Mmmmm I think that's all the questions I have rn.... I just wanna make a cool mugen character like the jus mugen Raiden or Sasuke or Virgil and not a sucky one and such. Maybe I'm exaggerating. Maybe not. Thank you for reading my post.
Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:36:11 pm by Mythic
Re: Hmmmmm.... I'm a pre-beginner to making Mugen Characters- just a few questions..
#2  October 14, 2021, 07:25:29 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
MS paint is just the most available. Everyone with windows has it and its easy to use. However depending on your skills you may struggle with doing what you want. Mouse drawing isn't for everyone.

Mugen sprites are mostly 8bit. That means they are limited to 256 colours with 1 being transparent. If you use 1.1 you can use alpha channels but its impossible to set these up in mspaint and tbh i don't think anyone has bothered on the character front.

Draw lots of pictures. Anything you want the character to do you draw each bit of it to make that happen. Like a flip book.

Get a jus character sprite. The internet has loads. Put it on your sheet as a guide.

Also be warned that from scratch is super hard and most people don't.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Re: Hmmmmm.... I'm a pre-beginner to making Mugen Characters- just a few questions..
#3  October 14, 2021, 01:36:22 pm
    • USA
Hmmm okay just making sure. Yea it ain't for everyone but haha... I intend to make art for video games for my own company that hopefully turns up in the future. I'll get the hang of it some time.

Hm okay okay.

Oh yea I figured I figured. But ain't there a certain file called sff for sprites? How do I convert my my sprites to a sprite sheet? It's just that part that I can't find anything on youtube for, unless I'm not looking hard enough.

Mm... I see. Haha, well thank you for telling me that. Maybe I won't make one from scratch. Any suggestions on how to not make one from scratch?
#4  October 14, 2021, 02:12:57 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
You need to download a software called Fighter Factory. This is a mugen character editor and will allow you to insert the sprites (as pcx or png files) and create the SFF file, together with all the other file formats used in mugen.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  October 14, 2021, 06:08:25 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Oh yea I figured I figured. But ain't there a certain file called sff for sprites? How do I convert my my sprites to a sprite sheet? It's just that part that I can't find anything on youtube for, unless I'm not looking hard enough.
Don't be confused, those are 2 different things: a sprite sheet is a blank image (transparent or not) where you put all the sprites for a character, a resource for creators to get all the sprites to make a character. A SFF instead is a file that compilates all the sprites into one to be used by MUGEN to show your character in screen (for the animations is the AIR file, which is different for this one). You can't find a SFF alone, this file comes with a MUGEN character and only can be seen (as well extract their sprites) using a specialized program like Fighter factory or MCM (for the elder ones).

I see you don't have any idea about MUGEN in general, I recommend you first to read MUGEN manuals to know how this works. Even when both are composed for sprites, a sheet and a SFF are 2 different things

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#6  October 14, 2021, 07:45:18 pm
    • USA
You need to download a software called Fighter Factory. This is a mugen character editor and will allow you to insert the sprites (as pcx or png files) and create the SFF file, together with all the other file formats used in mugen.

Don't be confused, those are 2 different things: a sprite sheet is a blank image (transparent or not) where you put all the sprites for a character, a resource for creators to get all the sprites to make a character. A SFF instead is a file that compilates all the sprites into one to be used by MUGEN to show your character in screen (for the animations is the AIR file, which is different for this one). You can't find a SFF alone, this file comes with a MUGEN character and only can be seen (as well extract their sprites) using a specialized program like Fighter factory or MCM (for the elder ones).

I see you don't have any idea about MUGEN in general, I recommend you first to read MUGEN manuals to know how this works. Even when both are composed for sprites, a sheet and a SFF are 2 different things

Okay okay okay. Thank y'all for the help. I appreciate itttt. Y'all cleared some things up for me.
Just one more thing:

Where can I make a sprite sheet? I see that link that you sent Basara, but I can't see it rn.
#7  October 14, 2021, 08:26:44 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Okay okay okay. Thank y'all for the help. I appreciate itttt. Y'all cleared some things up for me.
Just one more thing:

Where can I make a sprite sheet? I see that link that you sent Basara, but I can't see it rn.
You're welcome :)
I'm not sure if exists a program that can make sheets for you (only know one that can extract sprites from a sheet, but not the reverse process), so you've to do it manually by yourself. Start with a blank image with a neutral color that isn't in the sprites (usually are used, black, white or magenta) and there you can paste and organize the sprites to make your own sheet. The sheets not necessary need to have a transparent background, usually with a plain color is enough.

The page I show you is about one of the main resource sites where they get a lot of sheets to be used freely by creators (not just from MUGEN) and where even you can send your own sheets to be hosted there: The Spriters Resource and Sprite Database are the biggest ones on the net. Oh, and the later has a download page, maybe there you can find something useful ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#8  October 14, 2021, 11:41:43 pm
    • USA
Just one more thing:

I'm not sure if exists a program that can make sheets for you (only know one that can extract sprites from a sheet, but not the reverse process), so you've to do it manually by yourself. Start with a blank image with a neutral color that isn't in the sprites (usually are used, black, white or magenta) and there you can paste and organize the sprites to make your own sheet. The sheets not necessary need to have a transparent background, usually with a plain color is enough.

The page I show you is about one of the main resource sites where they get a lot of sheets to be used freely by creators (not just from MUGEN) and where even you can send your own sheets to be hosted there: The Spriters Resource and Sprite Database are the biggest ones on the net. Oh, and the later has a download page, maybe there you can find something useful ;)

Well okay!! I really appreciate your help. I really do. It touches my soul ;(( Well with the amazing info you just gave me I'll try to make the character I wanna make. Thank you! Once again, I appreciate the hellpp!!
Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:43:17 pm by Mythic
#9  October 22, 2021, 12:22:58 am
  • Why,
Just one more thing:

Well okay!! I really appreciate your help. I really do. It touches my soul ;(( Well with the amazing info you just gave me I'll try to make the character I wanna make. Thank you! Once again, I appreciate the hellpp!!
Try look at Kfm...  some just "sprite edit it" SOME ALSO EDIT IT 4+1 TO 6+1 BUTTON ONE ( hoops cl... ?? )
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help