YesNoOk

SPRITE UPSCALING SHENANIGANS THREAD! (Read 5310 times)

Started by Loud Howard, April 14, 2020, 11:08:34 pm
Share this topic:
SPRITE UPSCALING SHENANIGANS THREAD!
#1  April 14, 2020, 11:08:34 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
Because i was bored and found a Model that uses KoF and Capcom models for upscaling for use with the IEU program
https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Model_Database

And by the looks of it, this was the same method used to make the original rock howard HD, but only now that the "model" was released.
And they needed to edit the sprites to fix it
Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:13:06 pm by Loud Howard
Re: SPRITE UPSCALING SHENANIGANS THREAD!
#2  April 14, 2020, 11:15:27 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
WOw those look absolutely awful
#3  April 14, 2020, 11:16:43 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
I agree at 120%.
Those poor people look like they are melting under the sun or something
#4  April 14, 2020, 11:21:10 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole

The model that i got was made for Kof94 sprites in mind, i put the link on the OP.
since i have no KoF 94HD or KoF sprites to look at it, i got what i had here for some unknown reason saved on the hdd

surprisingly the one that looks "better" is the one used for face upscaling.

#5  April 15, 2020, 01:22:24 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

The model that i got was made for Kof94 sprites in mind, i put the link on the OP.
since i have no KoF 94HD or KoF sprites to look at it, i got what i had here for some unknown reason saved on the hdd

The problem with upscaled sprites like these is the detail is lost and needs to be inserted back into the character. If you've ever taken a look at shwa's patch for vyn's rock howard using those sprites by an anonymous user on NicoUploader, that's what I mean. The first one out of the bunch is probably the best out of all of them, but I can mainly see this as a tool to help along with that process.
#6  April 15, 2020, 03:36:02 am
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole

The problem with upscaled sprites like these is the detail is lost and needs to be inserted back into the character. If you've ever taken a look at shwa's patch for vyn's rock howard using those sprites by an anonymous user on NicoUploader, that's what I mean. The first one out of the bunch is probably the best out of all of them, but I can mainly see this as a tool to help along with that process.

which brings me to the fact that the guy on NicoUploader was testing with AI back then.
The facial upscaling AI is really closer to what he did.

also has someone updated that spritepack to other pots clone rocks?
#7  April 15, 2020, 05:18:08 am
    • USA
I personally like these ideas and methods. It's almost like you can get a lot of work done, and then "hand draw" the rest of the missing details in.... how did you do this?
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#8  April 15, 2020, 09:18:54 pm
    • Argentina
it may only serve to improve some effects because with the chars too much detail is lost the sprite would have to be too big or handmade by vectors to make it look good and not programs that do it automatically with filters
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#9  April 15, 2020, 09:55:49 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Another possibility would be to do 1000 or so handmades and train an AI to do the same. Maybe results could be interesting. :)
#10  April 16, 2020, 05:07:51 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
Another possibility would be to do 1000 or so handmades and train an AI to do the same. Maybe results could be interesting. :)
Manga109 uses this method for some images, which are manga covers from many artists
in fact rock's sprites or even that HD Goeniko would fit for it

the wiki link on the OP has the models.

imagine MFG creating an AI method for HD sprites for moojin?
#11  April 17, 2020, 09:29:03 am
good result but I prefer pixel arts.

#12  April 17, 2020, 07:41:25 pm
  • SNK is life
This is VERY interesting progress.

The best use for mugen development that I can think for this method is having some characters with weird GBA Resolutions, like KOF EX2 or Dragon Ball or Avatar Games, blow them up and scale them back down to a reasonable size compared with other traditional fighting game characters, so they look the proper size. It should work, I like what I see.

I mean, aside from faces, which is what I assume everybody is focusing their attention, check this shit out guys:

These objects look AMAZING.
#13  April 18, 2020, 12:27:04 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
imagine MFG creating an AI method for HD sprites for moojin?

The method I tought about was downscaling arc sys/french bread/examu sprite set to half resolutin, then use those sets to train the AI.
#14  April 27, 2020, 06:16:03 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole