YesNoOk

"I'll CRUSH you!" | Flower (BFDI) Project Thread (Read 78715 times)

Started by SuperScratchkat, June 03, 2021, 02:51:03 am
Share this topic:
"I'll CRUSH you!" | Flower (BFDI) Project Thread
#1  June 03, 2021, 02:51:03 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
    • superscratchkat.neocities.org
"Don't you think I look beautiful?"
Flower from Battle for Dream Island is coming to MUGEN!
~~~
Hey, everybody! A while back, Dawn de Era and I released David, the first truly complete and battle-ready BFDI character made for MUGEN. Since then, I've thought a lot about what other characters I could bring to the table, and I've decided that my next character will be Flower!
She's a series veteran, a recent fan favorite, and the winner of season 4, and what's more, her anatomy makes her easier to translate to a fighting game than most of the characters in BFDI. Simply put, she's the perfect candidate!

Like with David and various other characters coded by Dawn, Flower will be a 6-button character with a playstyle inspired mainly by the POTS/CVS style and Marvel Vs. Capcom. Expect her to have some fun combo potential! She's also got a super expansive color separation, have a look!
Every part of her body, even her individual petals, are prepped for recoloring! She's even got an optional shine on her head, allowing her to have alternate costumes that appear more shiny or metallic, like this costume I made based on another BFDI character, Lollipop!
Spoiler: Strike a pose! (click to see content)
The image displaying Flower's color separation is nice and indexed, so feel free to save it and make some recolors of your own! If they get into Flower's inevitably MASSIVE library of palettes, you'll be credited in the full release's readme.txt as a contributor!

Before I go, here are some various animations I've completed so that this thread has more substance, lol. These consist almost entirely of Flower's normals, which I finished up today before making this thread!
ALL ANIMATIONS are subject to change and do not necessarily reflect the full release!
Spoiler: Animation Compendium (click to see content)

More updates to come!
Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:38:08 am by SuperScratchkat
Re: "I'll CRUSH you!" | Flower (BFDI) Project Thread
#2  June 03, 2021, 05:56:40 pm
  • Snek Friend
    • USA
    • coffeeflavoredmilk.neocities.org/
Honestly this looks really good. I was a huge fan of your and Dawn's work on David.

On a side note I love the biting animation.
#3  June 04, 2021, 01:35:52 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Honestly this looks really good. I was a huge fan of your and Dawn's work on David.

On a side note I love the biting animation.

thanks a bunch! hopefully flower will serve as a worthy successor! ^_^
glad you like the biting anim, lol
#4  June 04, 2021, 01:39:41 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
more animations! (walk, walk backwards, run) and as a bonus, flower's character select portrait! it's based on her voting icon from BFB.

fun fact! both flower and david actually have the color separation built into their character select portraits, even though that's useless.
#5  June 04, 2021, 10:43:45 am
I can see its a her, no offense but it looks like a he to me, however the animations are dope, I would just add some female aesthetics to her like lipstick or one of those female bow ties not sure about the word in english on the top of her head.
#6  June 04, 2021, 09:15:36 pm
  • Snek Friend
    • USA
    • coffeeflavoredmilk.neocities.org/
I can see its a her, no offense but it looks like a he to me, however the animations are dope, I would just add some female aesthetics to her like lipstick or one of those female bow ties not sure about the word in english on the top of her head.

Going into detail about why this character doesn't look like a girl in the traditional sense would go on for a while. I feel like redesigning the character to make it less confusing would be against the spirit of the source material IMO.

A lot of characters in this series are far worse in terms of gender confusion (from the most recent season you have examples like Pie, Gaty, Saw, and Lollipop who have rather masculine voices but are female technically).
#7  June 05, 2021, 03:03:31 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA

Going into detail about why this character doesn't look like a girl in the traditional sense would go on for a while. I feel like redesigning the character to make it less confusing would be against the spirit of the source material IMO.

A lot of characters in this series are far worse in terms of gender confusion (from the most recent season you have examples like Pie, Gaty, Saw, and Lollipop who have rather masculine voices but are female technically).

Although I disagree that those characters are particularly masculine, CFM is right- I didn't create Flower, and giving her more traditionally "feminine" features wouldn't be faithful to her original appearance. I'm also a strong believer that female characters shouldn't have to have overt features like that in general.
#8  June 05, 2021, 02:38:46 pm
Ohhhhh, my bad, I though she was an original char, thats what I get for not reading the first post tbh.

I also respect your opinion but theres also nothing wrong with a female char having those features, its been used it animation for decades to distinguish males from females when it comes to simpler looking art.
Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:43:24 pm by PeXXeR
#9  June 06, 2021, 12:15:45 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Ohhhhh, my bad, I though she was an original char, thats what I get for not reading the first post tbh.

I also respect your opinion but theres also nothing wrong with a female char having those features, its been used it animation for decades to distinguish males from females when it comes to simpler looking art.

Oh for sure! There’s nothing wrong with sexual dimorphism in cartoon characters, It’s just something that I’ve never been too into personally.
#10  June 06, 2021, 12:50:41 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Ooooh how did this fly under my radar??? I really loved your guys' David, so I'm super eager to follow this one!
#11  June 06, 2021, 10:34:43 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
#12  June 07, 2021, 08:04:50 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Here's an early look at three of Flower's specials! There will definitely be more, but these are the ones I'm most confident in so far.

First up is Post-Production. There's not a lot of animation to show off here, because all Flower really does is pull out Camera. I might make an animation for Camera being clicked, but until then, this is what we've got. There's no frame for Flower putting Camera away because I might just reuse the frame of her taking them out. The idea of this move is that Camera flashes and bathes the screen in white (though this isn't a fullscreen move, yikes!) If it makes contact with the opponent, they'll be stunned temporarily. This GIF doesn't include the flash, but it does include the cute face Camera makes when they're used!

Next up is Hateworthy. When Hateworthy is inputted, Flower pulls out Fanny and uses the force of her blades to propel them both forward, dealing multiple hits of damage. Afterwards, Fanny is discarded and falls offscreen, though you can't see that here. A lot of Flower's specials and hypers are VERY helper-based, so they'll probably be easier to convey once we can actually start posting gameplay clips instead of raw animations, lol.

The final special of the day is Lightfling. It's kinda hard to explain how Lightfling works unless you've actually seen Lightning in action. Instead of just barreling forward like any old projectile, Lightning will fly forward, touch the opponent, and in the few frames the opponent is stunned, he sort of zips upward and slams back down, delivering a serious shock! I wanted to make it look the way it does in the show, and it created this really weird and disjointed projectile idea, but I like it. The sprites for Lightning's attack are complete, but I wanna wait on showing them until they can be viewed in-game, or at least until I can throw together a mockup for how it looks. Until then, here's Flower's throwing animation! Again, subject to change. I might try and push her poses a bit more.
#13  June 12, 2021, 09:28:50 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Here's a random assortment of animations I've done recently! We've got Flower's hitsprites, a couple of miscellaneous anims that'll be used in hypers, and a couple of poses she'll snap into at random when you taunt. Obviously these are lacking the voice lines that go with them at the moment, but we'll get there.
Spoiler: EEEK! CLICK ME (click to see content)

I might (and might means probably) make frames for the idle transitioning into the taunts because the longer I look at it the more its gonna bother me that I didn't make any. We'll see! As always, these are subject to change.
#14  June 21, 2021, 09:38:46 pm
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Here's another random assortment of sprites used for various things!
First up, some special states- burned, squashed, electrocuted, and dizzy!

Now, here's her grab/release animation, as well as her forward throw.

Finally, a few non-battle animations! We have an intro animation of Flower stretching, her losing animation, her crumple animation (For when she's killed by guard damage or the F1 key) and last but not least, her "perfect" winpose! (For when she wins without taking any damage.)
#15  July 01, 2021, 08:31:39 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Here's a bunch more Flower sprites! I've also made a lot of sprites for other characters who show up in her animations, but they don't make as much sense out of context, so I haven't been posting them, lol.
First, we've got her frozen state (obviously based on her frozen appearance in BFDIA 4), as well as an animation used during a hyper!

Next up, three animations that appear in intros...

And these three animations are used for winposes!

Last but definitely not least, here's Flower's simplest hyper attack- it's a powered-up version of her "Hateworthy" special that dishes out a lot more damage and lasts much longer!
#16  July 01, 2021, 08:44:52 am
  • the Suicidal Bastard
  • "I want to see and understand the world outside."
    • Philippines
Interesting. gonna start testing her out once she gets released.
#17  July 01, 2021, 10:29:04 am
  • Why,
Here's a bunch more Flower sprites! I've also made a lot of sprites for other characters who show up in her animations, but they don't make as much sense out of context, so I haven't been posting them, lol.
First, we've got her frozen state (obviously based on her frozen appearance in BFDIA 4), as well as an animation used during a hyper!

Next up, three animations that appear in intros...

And these three animations are used for winposes!

Last but definitely not least, here's Flower's simplest hyper attack- it's a powered-up version of her "Hateworthy" special that dishes out a lot more damage and lasts much longer!

Time to waiting her, are you maked something funny at already?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#18  July 06, 2021, 01:08:21 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
#19  July 06, 2021, 04:18:23 pm
  • Why,
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#20  July 17, 2021, 02:44:36 am
  • The Sweet One
  • let’s get scratchin’!
    • USA
Aaaand we're back! I took some time off from Flower to build up inspiration and motivation, as well as work on some other non-MUGEN projects.
Today, I've got a couple of things to show off. Firstly, I've sprited the air variant of Lightfling, meaning Flower's got her first aerial special completed!
Here's the standing version next to the aerial version. Using this animation again makes me realize that there's some weirdness with the way I animated her eyebrows, so the standing version will probably be edited a bit in the future.

Speaking of making changes, check this out! I was VERY unsatisfied with Flower's original crouching punches, so I went back and redid them all today. The punches on the left are the old versions, and the punches on the right are the revamps! I think that these are all objective upgrades, no questions asked.

God, ESPECIALLY crouching medium. Why would I even post that? Thank god it's gone forever. Enjoy!