YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 403748 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#1261  April 25, 2016, 11:13:05 pm
hi fellow comic book nerds. im going through batman's comics, i recently finished under the red hood and damn it felt like an editor checklist of how many characters they could stuff in it (even more so than hush).
the movie was much better and more concise. plus, it omitted most of the story from "death in the family", which is a definite plus.
hey can you guys recommend me a good pre-flashpoint batman story? a hidden gem if you will, because i have most of the famous ones on my radar.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#1262  April 25, 2016, 11:22:00 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I feel like I've said this before but I have a huge soft spot for A Lonely Place of Dying, which is the follow up to Death in the Family

There's also Paul Dinis run on Detective which got a little overshadowed at the time by Morrison

Otherwise it's hard to recommend stuff; when I was a kid getting into Batman it was event after event after event, so it is really hard to remember any self contained arcs that stood out
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1263  April 25, 2016, 11:24:31 pm
Morrison's run is a must-read, and that includes Batman & Robin (which has the only good Red Hood story) and Batman Inc. It's hard to recommend just one story from his run since they are all connected.
Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:29:24 pm by Japanese Jesus
#1264  April 26, 2016, 12:00:59 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I enjoyed The monster men and the mad monk, both by Matt Wagner, also personal favourite (pre-crisis but still great) Batman Special #1 (introduction of Wrath) and it's sequel in batman confidential 13 and 14. (those two are post crisis)
Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:07:16 am by -whiplash-
#1265  April 26, 2016, 06:03:54 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
hey can you guys recommend me a good pre-flashpoint batman story? a hidden gem if you will, because i have most of the famous ones on my radar.
A pre-Flashpoint hidden gem, huh? I'm gonna recommend one of my favorites, a story that could only work in the pre-Flashpoint era: the "Made of Wood" arc in Detective Comics #784-786, by Ed Brubaker and Patrick Zircher:

I can't exactly say the early 2000s era of Batman, with Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker on the two main titles is an underrated or underappreciated period, but I definitely feel like it could use some more love. And this story is definitely one of the best from this era, and it's all based on a very simple and seemingly obvious idea that hadn't really been explored before: Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern, once lived in Gotham and operated as a superhero out of that city in the 40s (until he retired and eventually moved away). Until this story, that was merely an interesting bit of trivia. But obviously there's a ton of story potential there! The post-Crisis DC universe introduced the idea of superheroic legacy, of a long history of heroism that inspired future generations of heroes. Implicitly and explicitly, the heroes of the modern day were inspired by the Golden Age heroes of WWII. And this story really takes advantage of thati idea; it zeroes in on Gotham City having had its own superhero long before Batman came around, and explores what that all means for Batman.

The basic premise is that a serial killer starts leaving a trail of bodies across Gotham with the words "Made of Wood" carved into them, eerily reminiscent of an unsolved series of murders that Alan Scott once investigated in 1948. This prompts him to travel to Gotham to investigate the murders with Batman to try and finally close the case that has haunted him ever since. It's really fucking good!

It's collected with another Brubaker story, The Man Who Laughs, which is a retelling of the first encounter Batman has with the Joker. That's also really good, but it really can't be described as a hidden gem since it's pretty well-known!
Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:48:30 am by Jmorphman
#1266  April 26, 2016, 10:24:06 am
thanks, oh and i've read the man who laughs, it's a good story. legends of the dark knight #50 is an earlier retelling of the first encounter with the joker. the man who laughs borrows the venom plot from it, although in this story it's effects are less gruesome. i liked it, the art itself is a reason it should be read.
legends of the dark knight has alot of good stories, im currently going through "going sane" #65-68 it's a story about what would happen when the joker thinks he killed batman. it's very good so far.
#1267  April 27, 2016, 05:12:30 am
    • USA
Going Sane is great! It had a pretty crazy and roundabout path to being created; it was originally pitched as a Wonder Man story for Marvel (wherein Wonder Man would get buried alive and crawl out of his grave; that version of the story has basically nothing in common with Going Sane, though), but was rejected. Then J. M. DeMatteis reworked the concept and pitched it to DC as a story about the Joker thinking he's killed Batman and turning sane, but that was also rejected because it was deemed too similar to The Killing Joke. So then DeMatteis reworked the concept AGAIN, as as Spider-Man story for Marvel. That version of the story finally got accepted and eventually resulted in the famed Kraven's Last Hunt storyline. And THEN, partially as a result of the success that Kraven's Last Hunt, DC finally commissioned DeMatteis to write the Batman/Joker story.
#1268  April 27, 2016, 10:23:15 pm
oh yeah i heard about that. the story itself was okay i guess, but i felt it humanized the joker too much with his love interest. the joker is supposed to be a psychopath, he can't love.
coming from TAS and movies batman, im surprised tbh. i didn't think most of batman's comics would be more psychological thrillers with serial killers and unknown villains for the most part, and not alot of action.
#1269  April 28, 2016, 05:03:47 am
    • USA
Well... it was written right before The Killing Joke, Death In The Family, and The Dark Knight Returns had permanently changed the the way the Joker was written and perceived, into a the somewhat more limited character he is today. Going Sane probably wouldn't work with most modern interpretations of the Joker, but it fits pretty well within the more flexible version from around 1973 (starting with The Joker's Five Way Revenge) to the late 80s/early 90s.
#1270  May 17, 2016, 07:34:12 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#1271  May 17, 2016, 08:47:07 pm
    • USA
Well that's certainly more classically inspired than their last few efforts

Although I have to admit the pageturner logo really grew on me
This time
This time
#1272  May 17, 2016, 08:51:00 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Idk, but i didn't like this new logo. :P
#1273  May 17, 2016, 10:18:44 pm
    • USA
It looks pretty good, but it does feel a bit too retro. And if you're going retro, why not just go back to the greatest DC logo of them all?

Definitely better than their previous "page turning" one; just an ugly, unreadable mess that was.

Also, it doesn't exactly reflect too well that DC has undergone like 3 different logo changes/brand shifts in barely a decade's worth of time. :-\
#1274  May 17, 2016, 10:51:18 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Blame those who complain about everything in the New 52 and DC You.
#1275  May 17, 2016, 11:27:14 pm
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
I'm very against Rebirth. Tho i think New52 Supes was  a douchbag he doesn't deserves to die. And wtf happened to the current suits (purple bats, goldy WW, Superman wearing blue underoos)?? It's 1938 again!!

http://kotaku.com/dc-comics-sort-of-admits-they-reboot-their-universe-t-1701232338 Old post*

In my opinion, they're truly bringing back the best of the Pre-N52, but in such way everyone has to notice it as they say "oh is the good old DC" but if you are into in the N52 universe you may have noticed what DCYou made in the current comics(Batsy dies, GL goes godly, Supes has a crisis, blablabla) in no more than 10 comic issues. This "taking the comics to a better way" is just DC slightly rebooting all again. Overall excuse my english.

I think I am honestly am at the point where if Rebirth doesn't work, if it doesn't give us good books that we want to read and boost sales, then Didio and Jim Lee should be fired. Some Pre-N52 stories were shit. Cry for Justice was terrible. At first I could overlook that fact because the art was gorgeous. I dropped it before it finished, though. It was painful to read.

The only thing i liked, Young adut Titans. *Only if they had made Wally West older*
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Or this Wally:
Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:58:29 pm by Shao Jetstream
#1276  May 19, 2016, 04:13:31 am
    • USA

can someone please explain this to me

Like, what exactly is the message here? Is angry Batman going to slit my throat with a batarang, cuz he certainly looks like he wants to? What on earth does the tagline "Heroes. Now More Than Ever" mean? Why is the central image of this ad a random dude who has his back turned to the camera? And what's up with his janky-ass shoes? And his hair?

also why is this in a bus stop

I'm very against Rebirth. Tho i think New52 Supes was  a douchbag he doesn't deserves to die. And wtf happened to the current suits (purple bats, goldy WW, Superman wearing blue underoos)?? It's 1938 again!!
Apparently nu52 Superman is gonna get depowered, and just continue on as Clark Kent (while the pre-Flashpoint Superman takes over as Superman).

This is ridiculously complicated and pretty dumb!
Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:00:54 pm by Jmorphman
#1277  May 19, 2016, 05:42:17 am
    • USA
Apparently nu52 Superman is gonna get depowered, and just continue on as Clark Kent (while the pre-Flashpoint Superman takes over as Superman).

This is ridiculously complicated and pretty dumb!

It's also a completely necessary step to reestablish the secret identity though.

Old Superman (I feel bad saying that for the Superman I grew up with) may make it past the next event, but he's not making it past the next two events. Mark my words.
This time
This time
#1278  May 22, 2016, 04:19:08 pm
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com

SNT

#1279  May 22, 2016, 04:49:36 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Well. Didn't see that coming.
#1280  May 22, 2016, 04:52:11 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox