YesNoOk

Capcom vs The World '20 Update by SeanAltly (Read 247492 times)

Started by Sean Altly, June 09, 2020, 01:18:53 am
Share this topic:
Re: Capcom vs The World '20 Update by SeanAltly
#181  July 01, 2020, 04:58:24 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I wouldn't say they were lazy because he actually had to make a lot of unique sprites for them (which is a ton of work), and honestly I hate to let the sprites and animations go to waste because they're really good, but yeah I agree she def needed something more directly related to the main game play.

I just got done adding all of her voices and sound FX, the L3 is especially cool now with all the stalkers voices in there.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:02:38 am by Sean Altly
#182  July 01, 2020, 05:40:12 am
    • Mexico
Part of me feels like the costumes could still work as random taunts, but I suppose they'd still deviate too much from the plan even in such a minor state.

I was going to suggest the idea of maybe giving her random items for her UT, in a similar way to Phoenix Wright's evidence special from Marvel 3, but the idea of a healing move is far better.
#183  July 01, 2020, 06:19:50 am
    • Brazil
I wouldn't say they were lazy because he actually had to make a lot of unique sprites for them (which is a ton of work), and honestly I hate to let the sprites and animations go to waste because they're really good, but yeah I agree she def needed something more directly related to the main game play.

I just got done adding all of her voices and sound FX, the L3 is especially cool now with all the stalkers voices in there.
I don't mean lazy when it comes to sprite creation, I mean conceptwise: its not trying to do anything with the "attacks" that could be associated with her, they just slapped a costume on her so she could use generic and boring supers that we've seen thousands of times, instead of using the fact she is a non-fighter to make her feel more unique, kinda like Capcom did with Jill in MvC2, where many of her attacks are about her dodging hazards instead of directly attacking.
#184  July 01, 2020, 03:49:18 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Picking characters would also result in you considering their UT.
Here's some examples I've got:

Sagat: His Angry Charge Super from Alpha 3 (V-Skill in SFV) that buffs his Tiger Uppercut/Blow could be made use with.

Wolverine: His Healing Factor Trait could be one thing.

Ryo (or another Art of Fighting Character): The Art of Fighting games were the first to include the Power Charge (Sprit Charge if you refer to the Gauge in them), so that could have some use.

A Martial Masters Character (Master Huang, Tiger, Ghostkick, etc.) (Buckus made the latter 2 and Descolor made a notable Huang): Martial Masters has a fair share of universal mechanics like "Retreat and Attack" (Roll Backwards then jump forward, allowing for an optional jump attack) or the "Shadow/Body Split Technique" (The Fighter sends out a clone with it's own attack (Comes in 2 variations per fighter)). I got those names from gamesdatabase.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#185  July 01, 2020, 07:33:48 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
If you do decide to add Ermac, Fabrytaz has made a more modern rendition of his sprites which still should work with the style of your game, same with Scorpion if you ever wanted to use those instead of the current ones, although the current ones are fine. Even Sub-Zero if you wanted him as an alt, although it's the unmasked version.

I really think Fiona is coming along well, I think that Huey himself should be the UT personally, like forward + UT, back + UT, down+UT could be moves for her, where maybe forward is the grab, down is the search, and back is something else, that way you can't abuse also just shooting him out there to take hits too I guess. Otherwise I think the idea of the search function works, or even just Huey as a grab/hold. I wish I knew more about Haunting Ground to give more relevant insight but I think you're definitely on the right track. Also I love how you used the stalkers from the original sprites that one is really good!

I know this is less of a concern but is the creator of your original stages still active? if not maybe you can always ask if you can use something like Charles_2011's work. He's got a fair bit of stages/edits made, and aesthetically I think the game might look nicer with more pixel-art based stages, but that's mostly just my own preference. Here's some examples of his work if you haven't seen them.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#186  July 01, 2020, 08:17:11 pm
    • Brazil
If you do decide to add Ermac, Fabrytaz has made a more modern rendition of his sprites which still should work with the style of your game, same with Scorpion if you ever wanted to use those instead of the current ones, although the current ones are fine. Even Sub-Zero if you wanted him as an alt, although it's the unmasked version.

This actually would be really good, make the characters look more distinct.
#187  July 01, 2020, 09:23:57 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
I remember that design. I did the original few sprites and then Chuchoryu or Fabrytaz finished the set (as far as I know). I really don't mind about Ermac. I was gonna do the MK9 design but I got hung up on something else at the time and abandoned the project.
#188  July 01, 2020, 11:36:05 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

I don't mean lazy when it comes to sprite creation, I mean conceptwise: its not trying to do anything with the "attacks" that could be associated with her, they just slapped a costume on her so she could use generic and boring supers that we've seen thousands of times, instead of using the fact she is a non-fighter to make her feel more unique, kinda like Capcom did with Jill in MvC2, where many of her attacks are about her dodging hazards instead of directly attacking.

These costumes are actually in the game. The thing is, they're nothing more than cosmetic unlockables.
#189  July 02, 2020, 03:18:22 am
    • Brazil
Question: do we have someone representing Slam Masters? I know the sprites are quite old, but some characters could look really nice with only a better palette. Besides, I'd hate to see the game not having any representation here, maybe Black Widow? I think her sprites aged the best among the cast.
Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:39:23 pm by Macaulyn97
#190  July 02, 2020, 05:00:48 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
Question: do we have someone representing Slammasters? I know the sprites are quite old, but some characters could look really nice with only a better palette. Besides, I'd hate to see the game not having any representation here, maybe Black Widow? I think her sprites aged the best among the cast.

Oh my god! Victor Ortega would be out of this world too!
#191  July 02, 2020, 01:33:37 pm
    • Mexico
You guys have actually made me rethink Ken as a main roster guy, I actually might shift him over to off-screen next to Ryu and put someone else in that spot.

Well if you’re considering more Capcom characters, Li_Kun worked on sprites for Rouge from Power Stone a while ago. I recall seeing a video on the MFG discord of a playable version of the character that I believe was only missing some animations. If you’re interested, you could always ask around for them or if whoever is reading this has the sprites, perhaps they could share them with you as I don’t believe they’re being used for anything or hosted anywhere online.

-Fiona’s looking great, so polished and refined. Health regain UT works for her, but perhaps that could be a hyper and instead you could have a stronger version Hewie be her UT (have him hold on to the opponent for a full second longer at the cost of more UT bars, Maybe have his different variations use up more UT than the others). I can’t wait to see the finished product.

-I have to ask, are you going back and editing some of the older CSS portraits like you did with Ryu’s back in the day? Some like Chun-Li’s and Morrigan’s look flat in comparison to the aforementioned Ryu and Sol portraits, which look a lot nicer in comparison.

#192  July 02, 2020, 06:31:04 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
Question: do we have someone representing Slammasters? I know the sprites are quite old, but some characters could look really nice with only a better palette. Besides, I'd hate to see the game not having any representation here, maybe Black Widow? I think her sprites aged the best among the cast.

I think Haggar technically counts since he's from Slam Masters and primarily Final Fight, even better since Sean made those sprites himself so they already match his style
#193  July 02, 2020, 06:38:29 pm
    • Brazil
Yeah, no. Haggar is from Final Fight first and foremost, if someone were to represent Slam Masters, it needs to be a character known for it's debut in that series, not elsewhere.
#194  July 02, 2020, 06:43:32 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
Well considering we already have a grappler for Capcom I don't think it's necessary as he can represent both regardless
#195  July 02, 2020, 08:07:53 pm
    • Brazil
So, ONE more grappler would be too much? I don't think so.
#196  July 02, 2020, 08:52:16 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
We have Alex and Haggar both for grapplers, The World has CM Punk who is a hybrid and was originally gonna have Tizoc but I dropped him. There are no Slammasters reps because the sprites don't fit. I said who the 12 new characters were gonna be back on page 5, y'all, you're killing me here, although I appreciate the enthusiasm!

And yeah I'll be taking a second look at some portraits and trying to make some more dynamic, after I'm done with new characters.

Download Last Bout now!
#197  July 02, 2020, 09:00:41 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Another update I'd suggest is giving Lynn her Team Duplex with Billy (Her canonical tag partner in her source game) for her Level 3 instead of the Tobi Ryu, making the latter a Level 1  (I'm not keen on Level 1s in source becoming MAX Level Supers or w/e).
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#198  July 03, 2020, 06:08:57 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
We have Alex and Haggar both for grapplers, The World has CM Punk who is a hybrid and was originally gonna have Tizoc but I dropped him. There are no Slammasters reps because the sprites don't fit. I said who the 12 new characters were gonna be back on page 5, y'all, you're killing me here, although I appreciate the enthusiasm!

And yeah I'll be taking a second look at some portraits and trying to make some more dynamic, after I'm done with new characters.

thanks for clarifying, I honestly forgot about Alex, because we've mostly been focusing on the new additions to the roster and I did remember you had 2 versions of CM Punk, I think that should cover grapplers. I also figured that would be the case with the Slam Masters characters because they have style that would fit in more with something like Street Fighter 2 since the sprites are pre-cps2.

I hope when you make the new characters you can include palette templates if possible, I made a pack of palettes for the old project and I'd love to update it as new characters are added if possible.
#199  July 03, 2020, 06:24:43 pm
    • Brazil
Another update I'd suggest is giving Lynn her Team Duplex with Billy (Her canonical tag partner in her source game) for her Level 3 instead of the Tobi Ryu, making the latter a Level 1  (I'm not keen on Level 1s in source becoming MAX Level Supers or w/e).
I don't like the idea of making important, playable, mostly solo characters like Billy an assist in another character's moveset. That should be reserved for minor sidekicks or nameless minions, it's a very lazy design choice.
#200  July 03, 2020, 08:15:18 pm
    • Mexico
It’s based on an actual move from the source game though, and it’s not like Billy is showing up in CvTW in any other capacity anyway (the only Billy here is Blue Ranger Billy). What’s the harm.