YesNoOk

Zooming out when enemy jumps too high (Read 1417 times)

Started by SaltAddict, December 06, 2019, 11:35:36 pm
Share this topic:
Zooming out when enemy jumps too high
#1  December 06, 2019, 11:35:36 pm
    • Portugal
This is for a full game btw. Right now, whenever a player jumps too high, the camera follows them and you can't see the other player on the ground (as is usually in fighting games). I was wondering if there's a way to make it so instead of moving with the highest player, the camera zooms out instead so you could still see both players on screen.

I know there's a zoom sctrl in 1.1 but that only seems to work to zoom in, it doesn't do anything if you try to move out.

Basically, when the a player jumps, I want the camera to zoom out so I can keep both players visible.
Re: Zooming out when enemy jumps too high
#2  December 07, 2019, 06:48:17 am
    • USA
This has to be programmed into the stage.  Mugen 1.1 only.

The stage has to be built for this effect for the same reason that widescreen is 4:3 minus the top and bottom.  Stages don't have standard dimensions.
#3  December 07, 2019, 07:00:36 pm
    • Portugal

The stage has to be built for this effect for the same reason that widescreen is 4:3 minus the top and bottom.  Stages don't have standard dimensions.

So this is something that can be done by just messing with stage def parameters? I've had a look at the stage documentation and didn't find anything about vertical zoom.
#4  December 08, 2019, 05:35:38 am
    • USA
I don't know how the parameters work exactly, but SFIVTraining does indeed zoom out just from players jumping.  I'd say download some stages with zoom and play around to see what you can come up with.  I've never messed with it because I've never made a stage with zoom.
#5  December 08, 2019, 05:46:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India

So this is something that can be done by just messing with stage def parameters? I've had a look at the stage documentation and didn't find anything about vertical zoom.

To achieve that you need a stage with large bounds. Check out any of Margatroid's stages (Bamboo Forest and Hakugyokurou) and it'll give you the desired effect. Any stage that is capable of having zoomout beyond 0.7 will give you that effect. The higher you can jump and wider the stage, the better.
Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:50:16 am by YugaCurry
#6  December 08, 2019, 09:04:06 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
The whole zoom-in & zoom-out feature is a little clunky since the engine itself is still only a beta.
For example, jumps (or vertical movement) don't make screens zoom-out unlike horizontal movements.
But, there are ways around.

Bounds sound okay-ish if you know what you are doing and is stage-code savvy.
Some creative coders I've seen, used custom codes that used drawangle to make the chars bigger/smaller depending on the height of the ground and distance from 2p to achieve the farness effect.
Now THAT's hard to achieve but certainly cool to look at.

As for me, I'm not that code-savvy, but if to just throw in a couple of ideas:
- Try using screenbound. Lock the screen to stationary.
- Then use Zoom (SCTRL) to add/remove camera zooms depending on the height.
- Maybe use Width (SCTRL) to push the char's sides so the screen actually moves without making the char moving.
- etc

Never tried it, but it's just a theory :P
#7  December 09, 2019, 09:36:31 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Put a helper in the middle of the visible screen area. Combination of width posset and screenbound should allow you to push the edges around at will based on p2dist.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.