YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17345594 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2601  May 31, 2021, 07:33:00 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Really not a fan of how their estimation of Star's strength was entirely based around non-canon flavor text for stuff that never actually happened in the series or had any actual demonstration that it works the way they claimed it did.  That is some massively flawed logic right there.

Next fight is the Link/Cloud rematch.  Wasn't this one of the ones they themselves admitted to fucking up originally?
#2602  May 31, 2021, 07:43:13 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
That's annoying, but currently bugging me more, alongside the "Oh hey, they DID count the virus as a TNT blast", so Star had but lost time manipulation.  Steven was already faster, and has his own to slow it to a crawl outside him and his abilities.  She'd....simply never be able to touch him.

The Watermelon Stevens are also annoying.  You showed the episode with Malachite.  He can't control them in that episode, he had so convince them with reasoning to help.  Come on, you're showing the episode that disproves your point.

Sorry, DB team.  Not a good episode.

Next, yeah, we have Cloud versus Link.  Yes, it is one of their screw-ups.  As I recall, it's also intentionally misleading, it's not Cloud versus Link.  It's Dissidia Cloud with starter gear only but max level versus composite Link of every incarnation and with all gear and items that don't normally progress onto the next successor.

I play a lot of Legend of Zelda.  I play a lot of FFVII.  I've read a lot, I've watched a lot, they're both great.  Cloud beats Link in one sword swing.  Two before BotW nerfed the Hylian Shield from being indestructible to actually rather easy to break comparatively to Link's threats.  Unless they're going with the way I'd prefer it, specifically the Hero of Time Link with the Fierce Deity Mask.  Then it's a better fight but still, Cloud easily, all day.
#2603  June 01, 2021, 05:39:28 am
  • Was it something I said?
Well, all I can say is the sprites and music were really nice, but that was about all the nice stuff I can say about it.

And yeah, Steven controlling the Watermelons was a no. He isn't White Diamond for heaven's sake (Edit: She could control other gems to be exactly like her, and defend her at all costs, while Steven can make life that has their own conscious and free will). Also, Star is a real pain in the neck, isn't she? This feels like Toph vs Gaara again to me.

Anyways, Link vs Cloud? Yeah, I agree with Long John. This is a case of Mario vs Sonic because they got their info wrong in the past, and updates, of course.
#2604  June 01, 2021, 06:11:28 am
    • USA
This will, once again, come down to what they do with Link.  I don't know how much clearer they have to get than the Zelda Bibles saying the Links are not one and the same, do not share the same skillset or tools, but if I were a betting man I'd say this would be the Hero of Time Link, obviously the most important one to the series, but with BotW updates in tow.  You're not really gonna get a lot out of the new reincarnations after Hero of Time Link's death, either by old age and neglect or by Ganon early in his life.  At most perhaps comparable tools that would be mass produced and shared between them like bombs and how they're generally more destructive from a 2D perspective.  Or general world lore, which was to be expected anyways because duh.

This is in the "highballing unexpecting it out of the the DB team" category for Cloud, but given we know he beat Sephiroth fairly in Advent Children, I wonder how they will interpret the ending scenes of the first part of the Remake?  Where Sephiroth casually drags Cloud either to the outer limits of the solar system or more believable but still ridiculous, to the asteroid belt for their little heart to heart.  If Cloud's comparable at all to Sephiroth, never mind beating him, that's a speed tier Link's never touching.  Even if it is just reactionary times and not psychic flight speeds.

Also wonder since I would HOPE they give Cloud his Master Materia and Enemy Skills, how does one address L4 Suicide and L5 Death?  Because Link doesn't work on your typical RPG leveling tree, but if they somehow tie in Zelda 2 or Hyrule Warriors, he suddenly now does.  And Zelda 2 is divisible by 4 while Hyrule Warriors is divisible by 5.  So either way, Link either is put on death's doorstep and shrunk to half his size, or else it's an unavoidable, unblockable, unreflectable insta-death spell.
#2605  June 01, 2021, 07:08:57 am
    • Mexico
"Steven is better BUT STAR HAS COOL SPELLS THAT ARE TOO STRONG so she wins"
#2606  June 01, 2021, 07:37:53 am
    • USA
The main one was really that throw-away universal line one.  And the grand assumption that if a past magic user of unknown power could cast it, surely Star could solely by being the, uh, "star" of the show and given the book by birthright instead of, you know, quantifiable proof.  Going by their stuff Star wasn't going to win otherwise, except that they are right in that her transformation does not seem to have the drawbacks Steven's does.  Given its complete detachment from the rest of the series, I'm in agreement that they really should not have based their whole argument around it.

It would be like....disregarding ALL of Dragon Ball lore on how their universe works because of that one time in early Dragon Ball one of the cast mentioned the planet Mars in the sky, which the Dragon Ball universe does not contain.

Though that said I still have grievances with Steven's rundown as well.  I see they just ignored the Ocean Gem Lapis departure speed feat because yeah, that was completely series breaking if taken at face value.  But then they gave him and the gems faster than light stuff ANYWAYS, so.....yeah, no.  Now that I think of it, surprised that the SU movie wasn't considered at all, what with lifting the planet destroyer while weak and poisoned.  Or hell, they gave Lapis the ocean feat but didn't bring up she was operating under a huge handicap.  If Steven is comparable to a Lapis' level, which he should be what with being a Diamond, then you'd need to find what her power output would be. (Though frankly, it's kinda laid out in their job description.  They use the planet's water supply to shape planets to keep, destroy those in the way.  So find how much water pressure would destroy the Earth)

Anyways, here's Link's preview.

Well.  Went 5 sentences until found something wrong.  Oh well.  I guess wait a week and see they they clarify that just because it's the same spirit, experience does not carry over from each reincarnation automatically.  Or else the Hero of Time's whole role in Twilight Princess would never have happened.

And now Cloud's.

Jesus, guys, why are you trying to make yourselves unlikeable to the fanbases with the presentations making fun of the characters being presented?  I'm suspecting it's a fake-out because duh Cloud is greater than Zack.  But why stop at simple Bahamut?  Why not the one that's infamous with FFVII and top of the summoning tier, Knights of the Nine?  And they got the blue materia usage wrong, too.....
Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:08:04 pm by Long John Killer
#2607  June 15, 2021, 12:27:27 pm
Fight's up now.

Spoiler: Winner (click to see content)

Spoiler: Next Time (click to see content)

#2608  June 16, 2021, 01:02:05 am
    • USA
It's good they fixed their mistake.  With.....other mistakes, but considerably less egregious.  It's fine, whatever.  I guess drill home the point that Cloud > All Links ever rather than being accurate to who and what Link is.  The episode does help drive home just how ridiculous Tifa vs Yang was though.

That said, Fierce Deity was rather lowballed.  Yeah, I get it, there's really so little info on him to go off of, and his whole manga story made to explain the god, the mask and Majora the dragon from which the mask was carved was likewise booted out of the canon so what little there was to go off of was made even smaller.  But Fierce Deity isn't needed for Link to beat Majora.  It's expected storywise and Fierce Deity smacks Majora effortlessly whereas Link has a hard time, but he should be WAY above Majora's level, not just around it.

The next Batman one is that Hellbat power suit Batman has in the comics for Darkseid-level threats.  Point I'm assuming being, this is direct response to what Ben and staff have to repeat EVERY SINGLE TIME in cast podcasts when Batman shows in an episode; Batman's whole design of approaching combat is counter to how Death Battle works and always takes him at his absolute worst.  This is the opposite, answering fan feedback.  This is Batman with Prep Time.

My initial guess was they were gonna try their approach at the age-old debate on if Batman can actually legit beat Superman with his plans and countermeasures, but then the comments reminded me of Iron Man and I kinda actually forgot their fan rivalry.  And can't say ultimately what Iron Man's toppest of tiers stuff is.  I don't actively seek out his comics, and seems whenever I read something big with him showing in it he does something remarkedly cool like science-ing Asgard's tools and making Mjolnirs for every Avenger/X-Men in Ragnorok.....but nothing really on a Darkseid-level threat.  But then he apparently made anti-Galactus suits that I never read about so what do I know, eh?

Anyways, yeah, DBX is back.  Woo.  They've done Gogeta vs Vegito and Ness vs Sans already.

It's funny when they outline enough description of the characters that it becomes obvious when one side would win, so of course the voters pick the other side.  I admit I didn't get the genocide route in Undertale yet, but the whole joke against monsters in Undertale's lore is for all their fancy effects they're naturally weaker than any human child.  So then putting Sans against a powerhouse like Ness and in an actual Death Battle Sans couldn't even scratch Ness.

Yeah yeah, no research and all, yadda yadda, did this all last time with Shantae and Shovel Knight.  It's just amusing how much one side outclasses the other yet the votes has the majority believing otherwise.
Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:09:07 am by Long John Killer
#2609  July 07, 2021, 12:37:22 am
Other recent DBX's.

#2610  July 09, 2021, 03:18:02 am
    • USA
Not to be a broken record, but that Apocalypse/Black Adam one is another funny example of what they present going against their winner.  Because they got to reflect the polls regardless.  So sure, Adam wins despite clearly Apocalypse regenerating from that no issue just based solely on the things they literally just said moments before.

The duck one's funny.  Bit strange they had both Daffy and Duck Dodgers there together though.  Weird they threw him in as a separate person.  Also see the staff is still carrying a torch for that Hermione Granger versus Juggernaut match-up they'll never do.
#2611  August 03, 2021, 10:27:59 pm
Here's the rest of the DBX's they'll be doing for a while as they get back to regular Death Battles.

And their season finale...

And for next time if you don't want to watch the rematch....
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#2612  August 03, 2021, 11:25:04 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Awesome to see Balthazar's sprites for Blue Ranger be used this way.
#2613  August 04, 2021, 01:21:13 am
    • USA
I REALLY want to complain about the ridiculousness of Mercury and Blue Ranger's gap in every stat category.  I won't but man does it itch. (Actually all of them kinda make that little voice in the back of your head object how all of them outside the two joke ones and arguably the ninja one got the wrong winner but it's whatever)

The Goomba vs Koopa one's a funny mutli-layered bunch of in-jokes.  Surprised they didn't kill Green Lantern mid-interference after all the people commenting on the whole counter to time travel thing Ben's got to kill GL like that.

I'm fine with the Batman match-up, but man I would have liked it if the build-up was to a legit Batman + prep time vs Superman fight.  This one's less enticing.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2614  September 03, 2021, 12:47:54 am
    • USA

So, Death Battle's back soon.  9/12.  Showed off some future matches.

So off the bat, surprised Batman vs Iron Man is a sprite battle.  Really seemed they were going 3D for that.  Beyond that one that we know of is coming next, we got the mandatory joke episode, Macho Man Randy Savage versus Kool-Aid Man.  Sure, whatever.  They also show Street Fighter's Oni, Avatar's Korra and Bleach's Aizen.

Oni can and likely means Akuma in general, just going up into Oni and that whole spilt non-canon stuff.  I'm assuming it's either Asura of Asura's Wrath just because it's a Capcom "What if" they've already messed with before, or else it's Bleach's Kenpachi because the Death Battle team themselves have a weird rivalry between the two.  An Akuma/Kenpachi actual Death Battle would be my personal preference because the more exotic the match-up the more interesting it is rather than two with similar powers, but it's probably Asura because that's the fan favoirte.

Korra is hands down matched with X-Men's Storm because the DB team has brought up this match as one they've wanted to do prior and have had polls on it/discussed it.  It's probably a stomp in Korra's favor though??? But whatever, they've made questionable episodes before.

Aizen I think is Naruto's Madara?  But that's just hearsay on my end seeing it in the comments over and over and over.  I dropped reading Naruto before Madara was even a thing so I have zero idea what his powers and moves are.  He's the one in the traditional Japanese armor with the wind fan, yeah?  No idea how he stacks to Aizen, I'd assume going off the Naruto/Ichigo episode he legit can't even fight Aizen but I'm too ignorant to answer that.

There's someone from the 26-28 second mark in a destroyed modern day city with a 30-ft. length cape that I have no clue who the hell is, so them too.
#2615  September 03, 2021, 02:18:51 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Korra is hands down matched with X-Men's Storm because the DB team has brought up this match as one they've wanted to do prior and have had polls on it/discussed it.  It's probably a stomp in Korra's favor though???
Woah, how strong are Avatar The Last Airbender characters? Cuz like, just recently Storm terraformed Mars. Her peak moments are pretty fucking nuts.
#2616  September 03, 2021, 02:24:12 am
    • USA
Strength level to strength level?  I doubt Korra's changing the whole planet, though Spirit World nonsense I wouldn't put it past them finding some statement, especially if Toph can sense and move things globally in LoK and she's lesser than an Avatar State character.  No, I'm thinking more insta-kill junk.  Denying Storm the ability to breath any more, dismissing any clouds, water or air, hell, turning the clouds against Storm making them solid or just another element.  Redirecting lighting right back at her targeting vital internals, etc.

Regardless of how powerful Storm is, granting Korra carte blanche rules to kill letting them just do what Zaheer the villain does removing air out of someone's lungs and the ability to get it back kinda hinders Storm, what with needing to breathe and all.
#2617  September 03, 2021, 02:25:23 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Oni is at a whole another level and whoever is his opponent better have some reality warping feats or illusion magic because Oni can go on for literal years of combat if they are gonna bring in his feats from Asura's Wrath.
#2618  September 03, 2021, 02:50:03 am
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Korra is hands down matched with X-Men's Storm because the DB team has brought up this match as one they've wanted to do prior and have had polls on it/discussed it.  It's probably a stomp in Korra's favor though???
Woah, how strong are Avatar The Last Airbender characters? Cuz like, just recently Storm terraformed Mars. Her peak moments are pretty fucking nuts.

In the Korra series finale, Korra took energy bending to a new level by bending the energy from Kuvira's weapon, saving Kuvira's life, destroying the weapon.The weapon was at least nuclear
#2619  September 03, 2021, 02:53:20 am
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
My genuine question would be if Korra's Energy Bending can turn this around as she can turn off people's bending,sure not same as mutant gene abilities but food for thought,she might be able to reflect any lightining stuff easily tho,I dont see her having enough power to finish Storm,Idk how durable is Storm?
#2620  September 03, 2021, 02:57:05 am
    • USA
What are Oni's canon appearances?  Or at least, "what if" canon, since Akuma never actually goes full Oni in the story.  SF4, of course, and maybe Asura's Wrath, but does he show in SF5?  Didn't play it, only know they threw in Evil Ryu but Not Evil Ryu so admittingly I'm a bit out of touch with the story now.

I wonder if Oni will run into a similar issue that Fierce Deity Link had, where the majority of appearances count as non-canon, and the canon stuff is intentionally vague per the game's story.  Fierce Deity had his whole manga short story about being an ancient god who'd play music without end which cause Majora (The original one, not the mask) to dance until it died of exhaustion.  From which the mask was made out of Majora's flesh carved.  None of that came up at all in the Link/Cloud episode because they don't count the Zelda manga at all.  Same with Hyrule Warriors.  But what's left in the end is just you get the mask, having the power of all the others in the game and you can kill Majora in, like, three hits.

If Oni's only canon material is his SF4 opening cutscene, ending cutscene and I guess the lore tidbit of this being Akuma no longer holding back the urge to kill every living thing in sight, it'll probably drastically cut his power in their scaling where he no longer can, say, dropkick the moon in half.  And that's why I say maybe to Asura's Wrath because even in that story it's treated as a dream match equalizing the power between the two. (three, really, Ryu is there somehow breathing on the moon)