YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17356224 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2561  May 07, 2021, 02:58:29 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I'm just going to laugh if they decide to pit Ruby against Ragna or Gordeau for the scythe gimmick because either of those two can cancel out Ruby's abilities with little effort.
#2562  May 07, 2021, 03:44:42 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
She would have to get through Maka from Soul Eater first for the same reason.  Apparently this is just as highly requested than any of Ruby's opponents.

As for Ragna vs Ruby.  Blazblue activate.  GG.
#2563  May 07, 2021, 05:51:24 am
    • Mexico
Ruby is street tier though. Someone like Spider-Man would be a better opponent for her and she would still lose that one. She has no business fighting people like Ragna, Gordeau, or even Maka unless they want to do another shitstomp for the sake of doing a requested matchup, and we all know how fun those are (looking at you Quicksilver vs Flash).
#2564  May 07, 2021, 06:31:20 am
Then I learned the Ruby V Maka thing was requested by the late Monty Oum himself and even the DB team are aware of the demand to see this concept.

However, to paraphrase their words, rather than feed Maka a something that won't last a second to Ragna (DBX is a glorified Mugen Watch Mode fight shut up), they are instead waiting until we witness more of Ruby's development down the line in her main series so that she would gain something that makes sense against Maka without both communities tearing each other's throats over the victor, tho it'll still happen regardless. Source.

In short, don't expect Ruby in a DB vid for the next 10 years when RWBY finally concludes, tho they'll probably scramble to find an opponent that makes it so that Ruby's the overpowered one and then come back to this.

If they still want to go for the scythe gimmick, I'm thinking Ruby vs Marluxia of Kingdom Hearts.  There's your appetizer.
#2565  May 07, 2021, 09:17:12 am
I'm just going to laugh if they decide to pit Ruby against Ragna or Gordeau for the scythe gimmick because either of those two can cancel out Ruby's abilities with little effort.

what is her abilities? stopped watching it after season 3 when it all gone shitty.
#2566  May 07, 2021, 09:20:09 am
    • Puerto Rico

what is her abilities? stopped watching it after season 3 when it all gone shitty.
Wrong person to ask about that. But from what I understand, RWBY semblance uses some soul energy.or something.

Guess what Rags and Gourd have in common...
#2567  May 08, 2021, 12:51:47 am
Actually, Ruby should have no problem keeping up against Gord, maybe even besting him.  She has speed advantage against Gord's reckless mobility and it's tough for Gord to even get close to Ruby to drain soul.  Also there really isn't much about Gord's feats like durability and current Ruby Rose could probably blitz through him.

Ragna defeated literal gods.  That's all you need to know.
#2568  May 08, 2021, 04:00:45 am
  • This looks like a job for... the Caped Avenger!
  • All-Out Gamer and Garfield fan
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/view/garfieldfan-mugen/home
I'm surprised I seen a "it went to shit after the third season" comment here. Unsurprisingly, it was about RWBY. But I'd just look it up on a wiki. It's what I do when I forget what episodes of Garfield & Friends I had on an old DVD growing up.

On the topic of the next Death Battle, surprising that they're bringing Po in. Definitely unsure how he'd do against Iron Fist since I don't follow a lot of comic books, that and I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda and its sequels in forever. All I remember is the Wuxi Finger Hold, which worked in the first movie and didn't work as planned in the third movie. I wouldn't be surprised if, and a pretty big IF, that if Po was to win, it would be the move to do so.
"Heh. The Garfield strip's funny today."
~Garfield

Sprites in avatar by Wlan Productions
#2569  May 08, 2021, 07:05:45 am
  • Was it something I said?
The third movie's villain, General Kai, was an undead spirit warrior. The Wuxi Finger Hold only worked on people that are alive. I can only assume that if Iron Fist somehow died and his spirit was still present, then Po would most likely do what he did there too, which was using on himself to take the battle and Kai into the Spirit Realm.
#2570  May 10, 2021, 10:01:42 pm
  • Was it something I said?
Iron Chef
#2571  May 12, 2021, 11:11:54 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Pooh

#2572  May 13, 2021, 12:06:45 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Huh.  Saw the first one quite some time ago and never saw anything beyond it, so seeing he straight-up has the Vulcan Nerve Pinch is weird.

I wonder if they'll have to measure the energy dispersal fat has on the body, if that's the basis of his defense and he seems to work on a "Defense is the best offence" style of combat?  He sounds like Marvel's The Blob, frankly.
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)e
#2573  May 13, 2021, 06:23:44 am
    • Mexico
I can't believe that I'm only a few days away from witnessing Iron Fist murder an innocent panda. PETA better get his ass for this.

EDIT: The fight is now out.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Next fight is Steven Universe vs. Star Butterfly. Don’t know who wins as I don’t know enough about either character. People seem to think that Star does, though.
Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:41:47 pm by PBRTODD101
#2574  May 17, 2021, 08:25:13 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Well, who saw that coming? I sure didn't.

As for the next battle - *sigh* I have a feeling that whoever wins, the opposite fan base will go nuts. These are two of the most popular characters from the current age of cartoons. This might be a barn burner of a match.
#2575  May 17, 2021, 08:37:19 pm
Doesn't Star have some reality warping feats?  If so, it trumps whatever Steven throws, especially Stevenzilla.
#2576  May 17, 2021, 09:55:47 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Who knew that not doing mismatches for the sake of the matchup made for a much more time entertaining death battle? (spoiler: everybody. We all knew).
Huh?  But....the episode literally laid out why one side could never win.  The other not only negated all possible forms of damage, but ignores death.  Fairly one-sided as it gets.

Anyways, cute episode.  Not a moniker Death Battle episodes usually get applied to them, but this one felt a lot more like the Danny Phantom/Jake Long episode.  They even threw puns into the math calcs for some reason.

Next is interesting to me.  Because while I've followed Steven Universe since practically day one and beyond with Tartakovsky's involvement, Star Butterfly I simply have not touched or experienced outside apparently its ending was akin to Game of Thrones' ending bad?  So my input on what she can do is simply hearsay.  What I know is that she's generally not that impressive in combat, her trick is she has one reality warping universe-ending spell that theoretically would beat the whole SU universe.  The problem is it's a ridiclously lengthy spell, minutes to half-hour to an hour from different sources, requiring full concentration and no interference.  So unless the timescale is way off or she can hide in a pocket dimension or hang out in space or somewhere "Out of bounds", this spell is a non-factor, it'll never get cast.

Steven on the other hand tore up a mountain range, alters his body to an adult age to better fight and survived a black hole as recent as the Unleash the Light game.  The last one however is probably an outlier because the entire cast survives this black hole, via gem ship.  But on the other hand, he can tear apart ships of similar durability.

Don't remember much that'll help from the comics....in fact they probably go against much of the show's canon, which Rebecca Sugar had to make a whole point one time on her layers of canon and where the show comes first, if the comic counteracts something it should be ignored.  Like the main Crystal Gems just all flying through space breathing just fine.

Though counter-point....

The show has a similar problem as Saiyans in space; they both can and can't survive the vacuum of space depending on what the story demands.  Apparently the bubbles both make air and don't similarly depending on the episode's issue at the time.

Personally, I think the oddball stat calc that will matter on Steven's end is comparing to Lapis Lazuli.  Because she kinda broke the show's power levels and over the years they brushed it under the rug.  Because she flies between galaxies in a day or two, and gems can't physically go beyond light speed.  So if they give Steven similar speeds then, well, speed blitz, Star's not gonna do a thing.
Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:07:42 pm by Long John Killer
#2577  May 17, 2021, 10:05:31 pm
    • Brazil
Make her fight Death from Castlevania, the fucker got beaten so many times, Ruby would surely win.
#2578  May 17, 2021, 11:36:54 pm
    • Puerto Rico

Yea, don't post the actual Death Battle itself or anything...
#2579  May 17, 2021, 11:52:41 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I really need to go back and binge watch through Steven Universe.  I really enjoyed the characters and the setting, but I just never made the time to keep up with the show.  I never saw SvFOE so I can't really say much there, but a bit of cursory research shows that her skillset centers around creation type magic?  That feels like it might tip the scales in Steven's favor.  Past precedent from their episode with Twilight Sparkle would indicate that just having high magical potential and versatility doesn't count for much unless it equates to a high level of destructive power.
#2580  May 18, 2021, 12:09:46 am
    • Mexico
Who knew that not doing mismatches for the sake of the matchup made for a much more time entertaining death battle? (spoiler: everybody. We all knew).
Huh?  But....the episode literally laid out why one side could never win.  The other not only negated all possible forms of damage, but ignores death.  Fairly one-sided as it gets.

Compare this matchup to something like Flash vs Quicksilver, where everybody and their mother knew coming in that it was a mismatch, and only a battle because speedsters matchup yeah! Po vs Iron Fist isn't an obvious mismatch, we ended up learning that during the battle. It was a great episode. I'm sure there are Kung Fu Panda fans out there who probably knew that it was, but most of the internet sure didn't.