YesNoOk

White Supremacists Protest in Virginia (Read 31896 times)

Started by Amy, August 13, 2017, 12:32:51 am
Share this topic:
Re: White Supremacists Protest in Virginia
#81  August 15, 2017, 10:09:48 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Most of those countries aren't the brightest example of countries tho
Considering you get arrested for having a butter knife in the UK and the general situation of germany
Hatespeech is bad yea but if you make it illegal its only a matter of time before your speech gets classified by someone else as hate speech and becomes illegal
#82  August 15, 2017, 10:13:06 pm
Hatespeech is bad yea but if you make it illegal its only a matter of time before your speech gets classified by someone else as hate speech and becomes illegal
Another reminder of something I said just one page ago : these laws have existed in France and Canada for over a hundred years (and probably other places but I'm not checking the laws in every single country). This argument is factually and historically wrong.

not to mention what "general situation of Germany"
||
V
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:16:36 pm by Byakko
#83  August 15, 2017, 10:14:21 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Also, what do the laws regarding the possession of weapons have to do with free speech? They didn't make a law telling people to not say racist shit and just sneak in a few lines about arresting people with butter knives.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#84  August 15, 2017, 10:18:27 pm
I am in no way defending racists or neo nazis.
you are tho.
you're rationalizing their protest as peaceful when it clearly wasn't, you're not condemning them directly and you're shifting the blame on everyone when it's clearly the neo-nazi who instigated this entire thing.
unsurprisingly, you're doing exactly like your hero trump did.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#85  August 15, 2017, 10:19:49 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Was meant as a reference as to how low a country thats just pandering to the fears of certain people can fall instead of just reassuring their people and dealing with those fears properly
Ban mean words,then raid houses because of mean words and classify car radios as potential weapons,then ban people from holding a knife in open etc.
Its honestly silly
Edit:Was answering Mechy ,sorry for any confusion
#86  August 15, 2017, 10:22:15 pm
Also, what do the laws regarding the possession of weapons have to do with free speech? They didn't make a law telling people to not say racist shit and just sneak in a few lines about arresting people with butter knives.

I strongly agree. The protestors should have had their weapons confiscated.

I am in no way defending racists or neo nazis.
you are tho.
you're rationalizing their protest as peaceful when it clearly wasn't, you're not condemning them directly and you're shifting the blame on everyone when it's clearly the neo-nazi who instigated this entire thing.
unsurprisingly, you're doing exactly like your hero trump did.

I literally said 'The white supremacists were terrible'. Stop lying about me.
#87  August 15, 2017, 10:26:39 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Was meant as a reference as to how low a country thats just pandering to the fears of certain people can fall instead of just reassuring their people and dealing with those fears properly
Ban mean words,then raid houses because of mean words and classify car radios as potential weapons,then ban people from holding a knife in open etc.
Its honestly silly
Edit:Was answering Mechy ,sorry for any confusion
I couldn't find anything of the first three things in the UK so I really don't know what you are trying to get at here.

And the last one I think is pretty smart. A guy walking around the street amongst crowds with a fucking unseathed knife blade waving about is something that should be discouraged with law.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#88  August 15, 2017, 10:32:43 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
I couldn't find anything of the first three things in the UK so I really don't know what you are trying to get at here.
It's a bit old but it was a series of tweets from an official UK cop station in which they raided a girl who spoke against muslims and took away some of her kitchen ware and radio as it classified as dangerous weapons apparently.

A guy walking around the street amongst crowds with a fucking unseathed knife blade waving about is something that should be discouraged with law.
Yea if someone is obviously dangerous then his behavior should most definetly be discouraged by law,but this goes as little as just carrying a knife you bought home thats in a bag.
Plus the campaign the cops had about it was nuts. Carry a Knife Lose your Life or somecrap ,and you can get up to 4 years for it
#89  August 15, 2017, 10:38:17 pm
but this goes as little as just carrying a knife you bought home thats in a bag.
No. Looking up that campaign, it was specifically about knife crimes, "knife-related violence", not just buying a knife from the market and carrying it home wrapped in a bag. Because people are reasonable enough to interpret a law properly. There are insane laws in random parts of the US (and other countries) that are still legally active but completely ignored because everyone knows they're not applicable word for word (or just straight up crazy). Law enforcement that's not insane knows the difference between a guy waving a big unsheathed knife in a crowd and a guy who needs a potato peeler at the market.

Those fears you're talking about are all theoretical, like a thought experiment in a novel such as 1984. There are also people today who fear that AIs might take over the human world or believe that Asimov's laws make sense today. But that's just not how AIs work, and that's not how laws and democracy work either.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:41:24 pm by Byakko
#90  August 15, 2017, 10:41:28 pm
ITT: Byakko knows better than Elon Musk
#91  August 15, 2017, 10:44:08 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
What Elon Musk thinks about those nazis this thread is about?
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#92  August 15, 2017, 10:46:22 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thank you for the compliment Snake but I am not Elon Musk
We all sometimes disagree with people but god dammit Snake this is like the 3rd time you did that "ITT BYAKO" stuff and its getting a bit obnoxious
#93  August 15, 2017, 10:47:12 pm
Yeah that's fair I'll stop derailing.
#94  August 15, 2017, 10:48:44 pm
ITT: Byakko knows better than Elon Musk
The Facebook guy also openly disagrees with Elon Musk, would you accuse me of knowing better than him if I said the opposite ?
Also ITT you disagree with half of the world saying hate speech should still be free speech because if it's not then soon your freedom will be taken away too.
#95  August 15, 2017, 10:51:42 pm
Last post for a while because I genuinely want to stop derailing, but he asked me a specific question:

Yeah, I would, because it's very silly to make a concrete, definitive statement about something where some of the brightest people in the world who work in that field or related fields disagree. You don't know 'how AIs work' and it's very silly to say that you do, because nobody does for sure. Even the people qualified to have an opinion have different ones and openly argue with eachother.
#96  August 15, 2017, 10:53:53 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
If I remember correctly, the protesters on the right were supposed to have their rally at a separate park, but left for a different park, which lead into what you saw over the weekend. In a way, Snakebyte is right on that point.

I understand completely that hate speech is evil and all, but they do have a right to protest under the 1st Amendment... if you don't like it, you can choose to ignore them or fight back. Be careful, because fighting back always ends up with no winners.
#97  August 15, 2017, 10:56:29 pm
You don't know 'how AIs work' and it's very silly to say that you do, because nobody does for sure.
Not even the people who create them ?? (spoiler : of course they do, they make it)
#98  August 15, 2017, 10:57:27 pm
Dumb simplification on my part, what I meant was the impact true AI will have on the future, not the inner workings of what limited AI exists right now.

edit: Srsly tho, this tangent is dumb and I'm sorry for starting it, let's let people get back to discussing politics.
#99  August 15, 2017, 11:26:57 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
You dummies, Trump TOTALLY condemned the Nazis's in his Saturday statement! And he just did a press conference where he affirmed how good and smart and nice his Saturday statements were!

President Trump angrily defended himself on Tuesday against criticism that he did not specifically condemn Nazi and white supremacist groups following the weekend’s deadly racial unrest in Virginia, and at one point questioned whether the movement to pull down statues of Confederate leaders would escalate to the desecration of George Washington.

In a long, combative exchange with reporters at Trump Tower in Manhattan, the president repeatedly rejected a torrent of bipartisan criticism for waiting several days before naming the right-wing groups and placing blame on “many sides” for the violence on Saturday that ended with the death of a young woman after a car crashed into a crowd.

He said that “before I make a statement, I like to know the facts.”

And he criticized “alt-left” groups that he claimed were “very, very violent” when they sought to confront the nationalist and Nazi groups that had gathered in Charlottesville, Va., to protest the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee from a park. He said there is “blame on both sides.”

[...]

The president’s breathtaking statements inflamed and stunned people across Twitter.

“Blaming ‘both sides’ for #Charlottesville?! No,” wrote Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Republican of Florida. “Back to relativism when dealing with KKK, Nazi sympathizers, white supremacists? Just no.”

[...]
David Duke, a former Ku Klux Klan leader, praised Mr. Trump’s comments as a condemnation of “leftist terrorists.”

“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville,” Mr. Duke said in a Twitter post.

[...]

Mr. Trump defended those gathered in the Charlottesville park to protest the statue’s removal, saying, “I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. Not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white supremacists by any stretch.”
This is the real Trump. Not that statement he made on Monday, the one his aides and allies desperately appealed on him to make. These are his true, unfiltered thoughts. This is him lashing out because he was forced to make a statement on Monday that he truly didn't believe.

It's the same thing that's happened time and time again, ever since he stepped off that escalator and announced his candidacy. Surely two years is long enough that he's exhausted even the most reasonable period of giving him the benefit of the doubt. Because he's not going to change. He's not going to turn over a new leaf. He's not going to condemn violent hate groups and extremists if they flatter him or support him.

It's time to stop pretending that he's saying stuff that he isn't.
Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:32:26 pm by Jmorphman
#100  August 15, 2017, 11:29:48 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
ahah he's so very obviously trying to imply there might be valid reasons to support nazism, we just might not know the reasons behind the nazis and they might be VERY valid, very valid indeed.

No wonder the extremists like him, he will fight to the death to not have to speak against them.