YesNoOk

Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated download (Read 4540 times)

Started by markyjoe1990, April 23, 2007, 12:45:20 pm
Share this topic:
Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated download
#1  April 23, 2007, 12:45:20 pm
As far as I'm concerned, the last time I was here, I was asking for a way to make MUGEN sprites without having to go through trials, pirated downloads, and otherwise methods which won't last forever. One person said that's not possible. Well, I've come to say to every newcomer that THAT is not true, and that you can make sprites without having to use trials of Adobe Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro, or getting pirated junk. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most reliable, most free, and easiest way to make sprites without having these kinds of problems. Here are all the required programs for download.

GIMP
Fighter Factory

That's all you need for this.

Now for Step 1, open up GIMP and make a sprite with the pencil tool. If you make a sprite using any other tool, it will not come out right and have undesired colors which you will have to deal with when making an act file later on. Be sure to have a solid color background, and that it is a color you are not going to use EVER for this character. When you are done, convert it to a 256 picture, go to Image, mode, indexed, and go to generate optimum palette (making it use the same amount of colors you think are being used for your character). After that, change the image back to an RGB image (the indexed palette will be only used for accuracy purposes so you don't get any extra colors later on).

Once you have made the sprite, open up Fighter Factory, use PCXclean (it should be in the tools section, unless I'm wrong). Then add the sprite to the SFF file. The sprite will look black, or look horrible, that's okay, because all you need to do is find the color on the palette map, which is to the right, and fill it with a color besides black. Usually, the colors are right next to the background color, so don't expect a hassle trying to find the first color. After you finally made your first sprite, it is best that you export this sprite (that command is under the SFF menu). Put it in an easy to reach directory. Then, after you export the sprite, open it up with GIMP again, and continue making other sprites for your character. If you need more room, just increase the canvas size. If the image has a yellow box surrounding it, go to layers, and click "anchor layer". This should prevent the image from preventing you from using all that extra space you jut got.

Now, I've heard that Fighter Factory is a complicated program. Well, it's not, and anyone who thinks different should consider trying to figure it out.

With all this, you should be able to do everything without having to surrender over 600$ just to make a character, and you won't have to break the law any more than you already are by using MUGEN.

As for sparks, I found another method for that too. Once again, you only need GIMP and Fighter Factory, but this time, when you make the sprite, leave it in the RGB mode, NOT any other mode. Make the effect (it must have a solid black background, use the pencil tool for best accuracy), then convert it to indexed, go to image, mode, indexed, then select "generate optimum palette" again. The background has the be black for this to work best(the "generate optimum palette" will already assume black as the background color. Now, when you do that, save it as a PCX image and put it in the SFF file using Fighter Factory. As usual, it'll look bad, BUT first, make an animation using the animation maker in Fighter Factory. When you finish putting it in, set the time to any desired time besideszero, and click the picture with the guy on it. choose the choose selection (which is alpha), and your spark should look beautiful.

That's how you make sprites without problems. I hope this helped

Please sticky this topic, so we have no more newcomers asking for the same thing I asked for.

Oh, and if this is somehow not working, please tell me, and I'll try to figure out whats wrong quickly.
Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:48:44 pm by markyjoe1990
Re: Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated download
#2  April 24, 2007, 12:02:00 am
  • Coming Soon?
sorry if this sounds noobish but when you say pencil tool do you mean hand drawing the sprites?  Will this method not work for sprite sheets and effect packs?

If this can be done for sprite sheets and the like maybe clarification will help the noobs (like me) make better use of this.

Thanks...maybe my Yoshi will see the light of day a lot quicker now.

Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
Re: Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated down
#3  April 24, 2007, 04:06:40 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
you know, there are programs like allegro sprite editor and gfx gale that are absolutely free.
Re: Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated download
#4  April 24, 2007, 04:25:29 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
And MSPaint (walt's favorite tool).

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
Re: Read before posting:Making sprites w/o problems like trials and pirated down
#5  April 24, 2007, 07:58:14 pm
the guy asks for stickying  :ninja:
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
New #6  April 25, 2007, 05:08:41 pm
sorry if this sounds noobish but when you say pencil tool do you mean hand drawing the sprites?  Will this method not work for sprite sheets and effect packs?

If this can be done for sprite sheets and the like maybe clarification will help the noobs (like me) make better use of this.

Thanks...maybe my Yoshi will see the light of day a lot quicker now.

You're making Yoshi!? Awesome! Is it the SNES Yoshi's Island one? I'm making a yoshi too, but I'm not likely to put him up for download . -_-

ANyways, yes, it'll work for sprite sheets too. Sorry I ahven't posted in a while, but I forgot about this topic.
Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:54:38 pm by markyjoe1990