YesNoOk

King of Fighters à la MK11 (Kim) (Read 12850 times)

Started by Scarborough, July 05, 2020, 12:54:38 am
Share this topic:
King of Fighters à la MK11 (Kim)
#1  July 05, 2020, 12:54:38 am
Hello!
Ive been playing Mortal Kombat 11 non-stop and ive been enjoying the pace and style of it so I thought it would be a great idea for me to practice coding and animating on fighter factory by trying to create KOF characters that play similarly to the characters on MK11 which means:

-Unique combo strings (sort of like KOF MI), amplified moves, wake up attacks
-Rolls are now only a wake up option
-No far/close variations, strong/weak special moves, or unique neutral jump attacks
-Block button, grab button, and forward dashing
-No Blowback attacks
-Uppercuts and standing sweeps
-Less emphasis on hypers

I thought id share my progress in case anyone is interested. I've started with Whip since she's my favorite KOF character. I'll be re-imagining the characters im remaking while trying to keep their core identity intact. Im using Swipergod's KOFE as a base.
Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:41:15 pm by Scarborough
Re: King of Fighters with MK11 gameplay: Whip
#2  July 05, 2020, 12:59:31 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
Surprinsingly amazing, i am interested, though, i don't know exactly what is your intention with that interest, hehe
#3  July 05, 2020, 01:12:50 am
Surprinsingly amazing, i am interested, though, i don't know exactly what is your intention with that interest, hehe

So far its just practice! im very much a beginner when it comes to the ways of mugen and im just trying to figure stuff out, which is why im using this "project" as a way to make myself learn more and then hopefully i can start an actual project.
#4  July 05, 2020, 08:47:17 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I'm not a big fan of Whip, I'm not a big fan of MK11, but.

I like what you did ! The result is really pleasing to see and certainly great to play!
Please go on! :)
#5  July 05, 2020, 10:05:53 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I think Whip is a good candidate for the system since she possesses a weapon like many of MK characters which allows more coverage in attacks.

I'll look forward to see more characters with weapons such as Chang, Mai, Billy and Oswald using this system!
#6  July 08, 2020, 12:33:47 am
I'm happy to see that there's some interest in what I'm doing! The only problem is that a lot of king of fighter characters don't have that many different attacks so I need to get creative in order to find things to create combo strings with. I've also updated the main post with more info :)

I've made up a demo video of what Whip can do so far. She's nowhere near finished and alot of the stuff are placeholders. Pay no attention to the health/energy bars.

Re: King of Fighters à la MK11 (Whip)
#7  July 08, 2020, 09:14:46 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I like the result again!

I think Agel would make some great variations with this system.

Or Shermie by chaining into grabs, kicks, ground attacks...
#8  July 08, 2020, 09:37:12 pm
I think Agel would make some great variations with this system.

Angel would definitely be a great candidate! she has a great number of moves so there's a lot of room for creativity. I would have picked her first but It would have been overwhelming since Im still trying to figure everything out.

Also, short hops!

#9  July 10, 2020, 11:12:36 pm
Since Whip has multiple long ranged normals, which is somewhat impractical in this system, I decided to try my hand at spriting a new low punch for her. Nothing too fancy but its adequate

#10  July 10, 2020, 11:29:58 pm
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
That looks pretty good.

Do you plan on spriting any other attacks for her?
#11  July 11, 2020, 10:23:55 am
    • USA
    • r.coburn08@yahoo.com
This is very refreshing man. Good job and keep at it. Gppd to see people getting into the coding for mugen still today. You have a great concept and tbh I'm working on a concept for mechanics as we speak so good idea too man.
#12  July 11, 2020, 01:37:54 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
What a specific concept, haha.
As someone who quite likes MK11, I'm interested!
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#13  July 11, 2020, 02:46:27 pm
That looks pretty good.

Do you plan on spriting any other attacks for her?

Not planning per se, but if I spot another good opportunity I might try again! Im not a good artist so I was only able to make those sprites by combining existing ones and doing some minor clean-up

This is very refreshing man. Good job and keep at it. Gppd to see people getting into the coding for mugen still today. You have a great concept and tbh I'm working on a concept for mechanics as we speak so good idea too man.

Thank you for the encouraging words! right back at you and I look forward to seeing your concept aswell!

#14  July 13, 2020, 09:46:38 pm
Now that all the interesting stuff is over-with, here is a little combo video while I decide on which character I should work on next!  =)
Just ignore the damage values and the dm sparks because I haven't touched them yet

#15  July 19, 2020, 10:33:52 pm
Started working on Rock. I wanted to try working with a more close ranged fighter. I think he will be more challenging to work with because he doesnt have nearly as many sprites as Whip but we shall see how it goes!

I've also made it so that Whip's new parry is a combo starter when you amplify it to give more incentive to use it

#16  July 20, 2020, 04:37:49 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
While I am not too much fan of KOF, I liked this idea a lot - its something very different from what we have already.
Whip is more dynamic, I liked her! Billy Kane would be someone to consider too.

Keep the good work.
#17  July 31, 2020, 07:54:26 pm
While I am not too much fan of KOF, I liked this idea a lot - its something very different from what we have already.
Whip is more dynamic, I liked her! Billy Kane would be someone to consider too.

The goal is that the characters should not play like they do in KOF, so I'm glad this peaked your interest! characters with weapons like Billy, Malin, and Chang would be alot of fun to work on eventually. Since Whip has alot of range, I thought it would be cool to try a close ranged character next.

I havent been able to go anywhere with Rock, so I've shifted my attention to Hinako. She is a very close ranged character that wants to stick to her opponents. I've repurposed all her special moves and even gave her a couple of new ones. She has alot more grab options now.

Re: King of Fighters à la MK11 (Hinako)
#18  August 02, 2020, 07:54:43 pm
coded one of Hinako's grabs to work similarly to Geras from Mortal Kombat; the enemy is pushed off but if Hinako hits a wall they are pinned and take more damage.

I've also finished her fatal blow which is a mix of her SDM and the HDSM created by swipergod
It was a pain getting it to track the enemy from any position on screen but I did it!

#19  August 07, 2020, 08:00:35 pm
Here's a demo of Hinako

Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:47:57 pm by Scarborough
#20  August 07, 2020, 08:38:01 pm
  • I try to do palettes.
    • Venezuela
A lot of people hate on MK11 but I enjoy it. I really like what you're doing here.