YesNoOk

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Read 156974 times)

Started by Santtu, November 17, 2011, 11:47:49 pm
Share this topic:
MGSV shipped 5 million copies in September
#781  October 30, 2015, 08:05:37 pm
  • SNK is life
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/30/konami-ships-5-million-copies-of-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has shipped 5 million units worldwide, Konami announced.

According to its latest financial report detailing the six-month period ending September 30, the publisher noted that this figure includes both digital copies, as well as those shipped to retailers. It also doesn't take into account the month of October, so shipment numbers may now be even higher.

IS THIS A GOOD THING? Forbes says development costs were like USD $80 Million. Konami needs to sell 5~6 million copies to break even.
Re: Metal Gear Solid 5
#782  October 30, 2015, 11:12:39 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
It'd be a bad thing if the writing wasn't already on the wall for Konami's gaming future

As it is, it's an interesting statistic that will be brought up in future discussions of AAA gaming
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#783  October 30, 2015, 11:32:42 pm
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
Those are good numbers, though I'd be more interested in their sell through figures. It's only been a month, I'm sure it'll be profitable... eventually. Especially since it's on PC, which tends to have longer legs IIRC.
#784  October 31, 2015, 12:13:22 am
  • SNK is life
It'd be a bad thing if the writing wasn't already on the wall for Konami's gaming future
I was actually concerned myself about the actual numbers for this specific game, and what they could mean regarding Kojima's legacy.

Time and time again MGS has been perceived as a cultural phenomenon more than a comercial success. These days there are plenty of games that are considered to have BETTER Gameplay, BETTER Graphics, BETTER Storytelling even... so this game and what it meant to Konami/Kojima was instrumental to be able to define what comes next for Kojima. I couldn't care less about the greedy Konami bastards.

If this game is a success, it's gonna look up for Kojima to be grabbed by some other company, and be able to develop new IPs.

#785  October 31, 2015, 12:51:03 am
    • USA
The game costed $80M because of the engine being developed at the same time. They don't need to get $80M back in MGS sales a month or two after release. Their investment on the engine is done and they can use it to develop future games at a lesser cost, getting back their money far faster.

Now the question is, will they actually use the engine on something worth the purchase?

As far as I can tell, this game has been a success and it's the MGS game with probably the best gameplay ever. Too bad the storytelling is awful because of the... lack of story in general. There were so many wrong decisions taken there's just no way to fix it without remaking the entire story from the ground up.
#786  October 31, 2015, 01:08:26 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
If this game is a success, it's gonna look up for Kojima to be grabbed by some other company, and be able to develop new IPs.

I dont think Kojima's not going to have ANY problems getting interest from gaming companies. The only question is whether he wants to be in gaming anymore, and whether he's going to be able to work without the lax time and budgetary constraints that he's become accustomed to.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#787  October 31, 2015, 02:04:14 am
  • SNK is life
and whether he's going to be able to work without the lax time and budgetary constraints that he's become accustomed to.
Without? He was practically kicked out of Konami for going over board with the Budget for creating MGSVTPP. Games in other companies have tighter shedules, movies do too.

When things went bad with time constraints, he just cut stuff from MGSV. It's been documented, specially with this last game (Sup Chapter 3?). CD Projekt RED on the other hand is still producing conten for The Witcher 3 that is keeping everybody satisfied, Rockstar and Nintendo have delayed their games to avoid sacrificing quality... Kojima didn't, he compromised his vision due to resources and still got the boot.

Word on the street is he's a visionary, not a game developer with a business perspective.
#788  October 31, 2015, 05:04:46 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
on a scale of 1 to 10, he was an 8 in lax budget, while the other guys you meniton are a 10; the biggest reason he gotg fired is because the konami owners smoke some bad weed and fired everybody (remember that they also fired teh castlevania guy (almost understandable) and the love plus guy (whom made more monye for them recently than even kojima)).
#789  October 31, 2015, 08:41:04 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
#790  November 02, 2015, 02:48:25 pm
  • SNK is life
^ but that's like net sales amount. How much of the sold amount goes to profit? The Forbes article I quoted got the calculations about right.
#791  November 07, 2015, 05:17:48 pm
    • Jamaica
This sums up pretty much all of my complaints about this game, and I really wanted to like it too. :(

#792  November 07, 2015, 10:32:24 pm
    • Peru
I just finished the game. Meh ending.
#793  November 08, 2015, 01:35:39 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Ugh you posted that here too? It's bad enough seeing it in my recommendations list on YouTube. It's just like egoraptor's zelda video but with less screaming.

Basically what he's saying is mgsv isn't as good as the others because it lacks the things the previous game was criticised for.
When mgs6 comes out, there will be another video just like this one saying how the game took a step back from 5.
#794  November 08, 2015, 01:39:45 pm
Basically what he's saying is mgsv isn't as good as the others because it lacks the things the previous game was criticised for.
I didn't know the previous MGS games were criticized for having a point in the overall storyline, good boss fights, good combat strategies and good pace for action.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#795  November 08, 2015, 01:48:01 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
That's not how criticism works, but nice retort?

I'm talking about the previous games having more cutscenes and codec calls than gameplay
#796  November 08, 2015, 01:49:45 pm
But the video doesn't say isn't as good as the previous games because it has less cutscenes and codec calls. It's not saying it isn't as good for lacking what the previous games were criticized for.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#797  November 08, 2015, 01:56:56 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
There's a part of the video (not watching it again) where he says something like "mgs4 may have been x but at least it had y"

It's as if he's expecting it to be a traditional mgs game, which is ironic since he didn't seem to like the opening of the game.
#798  November 08, 2015, 02:07:18 pm
Most of the video is talking about how MGS5 doesn't have good boss fights, a good place and a point in the storyline, how you don't even know why you should care about the targets you take down (you're just told "go kill/capture that guy"), how it doesn't actually tie up any of the loose ends and just goes off in a tangent, how it doesn't make for a good way to wrap up the series where MGS3 did that well enough for Big Boss and MGS4 for the whole series, how it has repetitive gameplay (just hide and run up to people or snipe them) where previous MGS games had lots of different weapons and tools, how you waste a lot of time running across a desert or sitting in a chopper for no reason etc. Those are the reasons given why it thinks MGS5 isn't as good.
It's not saying the game isn't as good as the others because it lacks what the other games were criticized for.
#799  November 08, 2015, 02:18:49 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
The points he gives just show a one dimensional way of thinking. I'll edit this once I finish work but for now I'll just say this. Why should a prequel wrap up a story? There are still events in the time line that haven't been covered in a game yet.

EDIT

And we're alive again!

I don't really have anything else to say (I no longer care) . The video is just an opinion with a smart alec kinda tone to try and pass it off as fact. The video title is just click bait. If it had "in my opinion" at the end of it, it would come off as less obnoxious.
Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:24:36 pm by Koop
#800  November 08, 2015, 08:03:38 pm
    • Jamaica
Why does he have to state that it's opinion? It's pretty obvious that that's what it is. With this prequel a lot of people were expecting it to wrap up or meaningfully progress Big Boss' transition into the rather horrible person that he ended up being, but that didn't happen.

DKDC pretty much addressed everything else.

If you loved the game, that's fine. No one is trying to change your opinion on it. I'm really not sure why this upsets you so much... :S