YesNoOk

Judas STUFF (Read 195420 times)

Started by [Judas], July 10, 2012, 09:42:15 pm
Re: Judas STUFF
#61  December 25, 2012, 10:59:08 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Which leads me to a random question that I assume has a "no" answer: Can layer masking be done in MUGEN? Something like the extra effect that always shows over Arakune's lower half in the Blazblue games. For that matter, what about selective alpha blending? Again, Arakune. His sprites have that aura pixeled around him that shows up like a perpetual helper. I'd like to do an aura like Demitri's with that sort of effect, but I wouldn't want to double the size of the SFF for a separate aura sprite for every single frame that would also need to be properly aligned. That just seems like a colossal pain in the ass for a visual effect. That's why the ESP.er sprites posted earlier in the thread have colored outlines around them. The plan was to fake an aura by having a toned down version of the Alpha 2/3 custom combo/V-ism shadow trail in the same color as the outline. I always envisioned the cast with auras like Phantom Dust to show that they're otherworldly powerful, but never knew how to properly go about that with MUGEN.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#62  December 26, 2012, 01:26:40 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm still learning and haven't tried it yet but 1.0 has a new function called remappal that is used to allow Gill's 2 sided colors. This could also be used for Demitri's aura (which I was going to test after finishing my Dee rips).

Basically you would have 2 pallets exactly the same except the color that needs to blink. And the character would be coded to alternate his pal each tick at all times.

Again, I haven't tested it. But from what I've read in the help section and my current understanding that'd be possible. Even in custom states!
#63  December 28, 2012, 06:28:40 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Nah, not the yellow/orange flicker. That does make for some really fun ideas, though. Asymmetrical palettes, for instance. I meant something like Arakune, here:

His aura is part of his main sprite, yet it has alpha transparencies when animated in game. Is that possible in MUGEN, or would I need to do an entire set of aura sprites to set as a perpetual helper? I like the effect, but I'd rather fake it somehow if it means doubling the size of an HD sprite set.

Also, this:

Old -> New -> Newer
I don't know if I like the new one better, or if it just makes it annoying. 3 is max level, and I wanted to convey that... but that might not be the way I want to go about it. Aside from the little ring burst, there are duplicate 3s. One floats up, one drops down. Tried to make them subtle, but they might just be too subtle. The third is the same as the second, now with duplicates going left and right. That doesn't look right to me, but it may just be me being overly self critical again. I hope so. Even if it is, the old one still works.
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:47:36 pm by AlexSin
#64  December 28, 2012, 08:36:20 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Is that possible in MUGEN, or would I need to do an entire set of aura sprites to set as a perpetual helper? I like the effect, but I'd rather fake it somehow if it means doubling the size of an HD sprite set.

This would be the way to get that kind of effect (and the most tough one) and you can apply transparency and such. I don´t think the other way is possible thought
Chilling
#65  December 28, 2012, 10:56:05 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Damn. Wishful thinking, I guess. A test of the aforementioned fake V-ism "aura," then:

God, that looks terrible on a white background. That's with the return to the one pixel extra outline from the first post's early sprites. Then a trio of shadows at varying opacity. I assume that can be done, at least. Again, I am MUGEN dumb. A single pixel higher than the sprite they're following in Yu's case, but that's not really a requirement of the fake aura. 80%, 60%, and 40% visibility, maybe. Maybe higher. I won't know until I it's tested. Is that even worth the extra code? Or does it look weird (and not in a good way)?
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:48:02 pm by AlexSin
#66  December 28, 2012, 11:18:01 pm
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:48:17 pm by AlexSin
#67  December 28, 2012, 11:50:02 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Let me get this strait, your making a full game or different add-on's. I really like the effects your coming up with and wish the best.
#68  December 29, 2012, 02:12:30 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Trying for a full game. I honestly really don't want to do it for MUGEN, but I'm solely a graphics guy. Probably going about it all the wrong way, but I haven't pitched anything to any programmers yet. I'd like to have enough ready for at least a demo before I even try that. Something.
#69  December 29, 2012, 08:36:01 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Trying for a full game. I honestly really don't want to do it for MUGEN, but I'm solely a graphics guy. Probably going about it all the wrong way, but I haven't pitched anything to any programmers yet. I'd like to have enough ready for at least a demo before I even try that. Something.

Same here! I am try to work towards a commercial game, getting everything together for it is taking forever because of work and life though...

Excited to see more from you!
#70  December 29, 2012, 08:52:25 pm
  • I do use dark colors. . . : \
    • kurotoboe.deviantart.com
Join the club guys lol. X-Prophecy is all I work on now. . . :(
I'm trying. . .
#71  December 30, 2012, 12:41:13 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
A few more programming questions to add to my countless others, both already asked and yet to be asked:
-Are any movie files (avi, mp4, whatever... any format, really) supported for use as game intros, arcade endings, etc.?
-Capcom JoJo's Bizarre Adventure arcade story scenes... possible? Perhaps as extended character-specific intros?
-Character-specific arcade paths?
-Palette select sub-menu on the character select screen?

If it's not obvious by the nature of my questions this time, ESP.er is intended to be as cinematic an experience as a fighting game allows. The ultimate goal would be somewhere between new Mortal Kombat's story mode and PSX JoJo's "Super Story Mode," but I'm quite certain those are beyond the bounds of MUGEN, even in a closed game. Likewise for the current standard of combo trials, time attack, and challenge missions.

I'm also willing to bet Vampire Savior round management and single healthbar survival mode can't coexist, but am again unsure. I've seen stage previews in place of stage names by way of a special "font" in a few closed games, most recently CvtW, so that question has an answer already. There are several others that I'm sure have answers that won't agree with my goals. Hence the current focus on getting a manageable fighting game together to pitch to the world outside of MUGEN. In a perfect world, I'd have Shoji Meguro, Daisuke Ishiwatari, and/or Akira Yamaoka on board for soundtrack purposes, but uh.... yeah right. Then again, Skullgirls got Michiru Yamane, so anything is possible.

Rambling aside, have this:

I intended to wait to show this quick get-hit for the fakeshot after a stage is complete, but I'm debuting it here for assistance purposes. As one of the four (five including the boss) characters to have never been shown in sprite form, she doesn't have a decided-upon color scheme. Somewhere between Street Fighter's Rose, KoF's Elizabeth, Persona's... uh, Elizabeth (ha!), Soulcalibur's Viola and Amy, Vincent Valentine, and a few other inspirations, I came across this. It currently seems too vibrant. It has the slight color differences for color separation purposes down the line, but yeah. Something along these lines is the goal, but any ideas are welcome. She's the stoic mystic type, and her abilities are themed around the moon. Leona's moon slasher is set to appear in her movelist, but that's about all I can say for now. Palettes are created with the same method shown in the Kanji test above. Modifications can be made, but that'll generate the usual starting point. Any and all help would be nice, as I'm currently drawing a blank. Also, forgive the unceremonious introduction of miss Luna as a single frame gethit. :P
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:49:09 pm by AlexSin
#72  December 30, 2012, 06:37:48 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
    • i_am_shakespeare@hotmail.co.uk
"Improvise. adapt. overcome."
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:49:39 pm by AlexSin
#73  December 30, 2012, 07:16:52 pm
  • Club -SyN- in my past life
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
-Are any movie files (avi, mp4, whatever... any format, really) supported for use as game intros, arcade endings, etc.?
-Capcom JoJo's Bizarre Adventure arcade story scenes... possible? Perhaps as extended character-specific intros?
-Character-specific arcade paths?
-Palette select sub-menu on the character select screen?

1. No
2. No unless for full game purposes, you can code them into a character as an intro or winpose for I have done it before and so has RedNavi with his CVSW projects
3. No
4. NO, but in mugen 1.0 if your character is using the sffv2 file format, then you can included as many pals as you want but they will have to be selected in game. A few Authors coded a pal selection chart thats present during their characters intro for additional pal choices but other than that, its still goes bu what button you press and the default limit is 12.

I'm also willing to bet Vampire Savior round management and single healthbar survival mode can't coexist
for full game purposes, It is possible via custom character system coding and I have done this as well. I was planning on making such a system for some future projects of mines plus I did something similar just to test for a friend of mines screenpack showing off the vampire savior type round system. I can provide a video shortly to backup what I am explaining.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Posted: December 30, 2012, 07:54:00 pm
I know in Darkstalkers 3, the lifebar dont fill up after the opponent loses a round, but they get back up and the next round starts.
anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7crgxpTU

Just showing you it can be done via full game only or some serious modifications but in your case, fullgame only.

Posted: December 31, 2012, 09:01:32 pm
Sorry, the link was broken.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7crgxpTUs
Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:01:32 pm by -SyN-
#74  January 05, 2013, 10:20:03 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Story sequences in full games is the main thing I took away from that. Of course, without individualized arcade routes, that kinda limits my options. Hrm. The Vampire Savior round style is a must, though. What I had in mind was actually probably closer to what was used in CFAS before it got scrapped. When the health meter is drained, it cuts to a quick cutscene-esque "I'm not done yet!" animation. I like that. A lot. My version would involve the same quick animation, though probably closer to SF4's continue screen animations than what was used in CFAS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnmLbsWx9I4
After BREAK flashes on the screen. I intend to go the SF4/SSF4 retry route:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4r2lhRNSgQ
A static-filled BG to accommodate the lack of full 3D backgrounds behind them, though. And to continue the static-y tv motif I have going on. Speaking of, have the early select screen overlay. To be shown again when the select screen itself isn't in super obvious WIP mode:

Probably tired of seeing manufactured static by now, eh?
#75  January 06, 2013, 12:49:22 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Nope and if you could one day, give a tutorial on how you created that.
#76  January 06, 2013, 11:57:15 pm
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
The round system you are aiming for is possible Judas but would require additional coding to characters and since this for a fullgame project of yours the that opens alot more possibilities and less restrictions since everything will be in a closed environment. So yeah I can say that your idea is highly possible.

Story mode, well as far as path set by a users choice from start, midway in the game, etc rather than what mugen randomly chooses, that's out of the question, but story scenes and all, like I said earlier can be implemented via character intros before a round starts, not a seperate storyboard intro if I confused you, and can be coded as a winpose.
Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:01:18 am by -SyN-
#77  January 07, 2013, 04:03:16 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Hm... I might be able to do something close to my original goal after all. Thanks, Syn. That video you posted also inspired me a bit for my DANGER indicator. More on that in the next post. For now, though, another Q. The whole remappal thing got me thinking about battle damage. Would remappal be usable in such a capacity? Example of what I'm considering:

If I render the set like the first image, can remappal be used to show the middle palette for the first round, then the far right one for the second? Possibly with states. I always liked that little trick in Dead Dance (which is infinitely superior to its localized version, Tuff E Nuff). AoF (or even Rumble Fish) battle damage would be nice, but that would take a ton more work and trickery. No thanks. A split lip or a black eye are easy enough to pull off, if programming tricks allow.

I spend too much time worrying about the little details, I think.
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:50:12 pm by AlexSin
#78  January 07, 2013, 05:06:50 pm
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
its possible as long as everything is within the palchart using separate colors thats similar to the original color like the skin in the second image and when your conditions is met, the pal can be changed during a match to show damage like in the first and last image. Also I like where you are going with this. But becareful, color separating for things like this can easily use a lot of space in the pal chart but still thats the way to go.
#79  January 10, 2013, 09:17:06 pm
I spend too much time worrying about the little details, I think.

In this case I think you may be right.  Adding signs of damage and (probably) extra animations for a player state that likely won't last all that long is a waste of time for a one-man project.  Even if you are just looking at a bit of layer work for every sprite you still have to recheck everything to see if it animates well, as well as exposing yourself to a greater likelihood of stray pixels and general graphical garbage.
#80  January 10, 2013, 09:28:32 pm
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
I strongly disagree with the post above.

The smallest of things helps polish a project to its full potential and characters having such a feature as the above makes it far more unique that the regular material you see released on a daily basis, plus this is for your own works which is in a closed environment so yeah I would say you are worrying too much about the smallest things, its more like you are pushing the engine to its max potential and using the sffv2 pal format means you can add an unlimited amount of pals to a character and the ability to change pals in game is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. In the end its all about what you are trying achieve and all you are doing is seeing how far can you go with your plan by seeking advice and direction from those who have experience with the new engine.

There you have it.
I for one would like to see this project of yours come to light sometime in the future and please don't worry yourself about minor details.