YesNoOk

PC Gaming is now portable - STEAM DECK (Read 123370 times)

Started by walt, July 15, 2021, 11:56:21 pm
Share this topic:
PC Gaming is now portable - STEAM DECK
#1  July 15, 2021, 11:56:21 pm
  • SNK is life
Gabe Newell does what Nintendon't - SWITCH PRO basically, mfs

https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-valve-announces-handheld-gaming-pc-2021-release

Can't wait to play at 720P/800i with Ray Tracing~

In terms of hardware, the Steam Deck has:
* A 7-inch screen,
* 1280x800 resolution
* 60hz LCD screen
* A custom AMD APU featuring a 4-core, 8-thread CPU
* 8 RDNA 2 compute units for the GPU
* 16 GBs of LPDDR5 RAM.
* Starting at 64 GB Internal Memory

Practically speaking, that makes it a substantial amount stronger than the Switch, allowing it to run modern games impressively well
Re: PC Gaming is now portable - STEAM DECK
#2  July 16, 2021, 12:01:58 am
    • UK
Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of this.
#3  July 16, 2021, 12:18:52 am
    • USA
    • lndnrivers@yahoo.com
With this device you could probably play MUGEN/Ikemen on the go.

lui

#4  July 16, 2021, 12:34:31 am
    • USA
For clarification's sake, this actually isn't the first portable PC with good ass specs to be entering the market. It IS however the first one with a good. ass. price.

Here are the other ones this generation that are competing with eachother. Most of these are an average of 700-900$ give or take and have similar specs to the Steam Deck.

AYA NEO

ONEX PLAYER

OneGX1 Pro

GPD WIN 3 (one I personally ordered and is my favorite out all of these choices.)

All of these devices,  Steam Deck included, make a very nice lineup of niche ass portable gaming PC's to choose from.

The Steam Deck def isn't gonna change the industry, but it is a nice show of force of how far the market for this stuff can go. These all have very nice specs, however Valve has the advantage of being able to afford the lower price because even if it loses alot of money, they can make it back with Steam lol.

All of these devices are so powerful they can emulate pretty much anything including ps3, wii u, ps3 and the switch (lmfao)
#5  July 16, 2021, 01:00:26 am
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
With this device you could probably play MUGEN/Ikemen on the go.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking.
With this, you could probably play a n y t h i n g on the go
if it's able to run emulators & stuff.

lui

#6  July 16, 2021, 01:18:19 am
    • USA
I play mugen on my GPD WIN so yeah, it works well.
#7  July 16, 2021, 01:48:34 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Not that I care much, but I guess for clarification's sake do we just not acknowledge the existence of laptops anymore?  Because I recall a solid decade of Alienware throwing their ads of their so-called top of the line gaming laptops in magazines everywhere.  Or does portable gaming just extend to handheld Game Boy equivalents?  Because that seems silly.

Neat little thing for those who care though I guess.  Haven't touched my Steam since, god, 2016 maybe?  Not much to care about PC gaming anymore.  I only care about Valve at this point for the never-happening Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 so largely disconnected these days.
#8  July 16, 2021, 02:18:34 am
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
Not that I care much, but I guess for clarification's sake do we just not acknowledge the existence of laptops anymore?  Because I recall a solid decade of Alienware throwing their ads of their so-called top of the line gaming laptops in magazines everywhere.  Or does portable gaming just extend to handheld Game Boy equivalents?  Because that seems silly.

Laptops are cool, though a lot of them are kind of bulky compared to stuff like handhelds portable systems.
They still do have a lot of uses to them, though.
#9  July 16, 2021, 03:22:41 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

I have to agree with this. Since either than the built in or detachable with the OneGX1 Pro controller and maybe better specs, what's the difference between this and The plethora of high spec tablet computers and a tablet Bluetooth controller. Also I'd hate to see how hot these get considering gaming laptops already are portable furnaces on their own. But yea gaming has been portable since the original Compaq portable if you consider the computer being easy enough to move
Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:27:26 am by Amidweiz

lui

#10  July 16, 2021, 03:50:23 am
    • USA
Most of these new portables dont get too hot due to modern internal cooling solutions being well integrated.

I know you can TECHNICALLY call everything that moves a bit "portable" but, cmon.

There is a very clear distinction on what a Switch-like "Portable PC is" and Laptops/other things that can be carried. I have used them. The tech is real, and practical. If you have an issue with them being seperate from laptops, then that's on you. It's just a super niche market as it is.

oh also

Ive been ahead of the portable Mugen game already, Valve. Get on my level
Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:53:39 am by lui
#11  July 16, 2021, 05:28:53 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
Looks promising though just like with every other console, I won't buy it at launch. I may dip for the $529 model if it's worth the investment. I have a pretty big Steam library so it's kinda tempting. I always let the first adopters "test" the product to see if there may be any launch problems with it.
#12  July 16, 2021, 05:38:14 am
  • Some guy with nothing better to do in his life
  • Nothing should exist in MIDI
    • USA
Now let's hope it'll be better than the Steam Machine console (Yeah, remember that? If not, that's ok...I forgot about it as well)

Don't think...obey
#13  July 16, 2021, 06:30:47 am
    • Japan
I think this console will fail like ouya
Becouse contoroler so Bad design
And LCD is not high quality.

lui

#14  July 16, 2021, 09:41:04 am
    • USA
Now let's hope it'll be better than the Steam Machine console (Yeah, remember that? If not, that's ok...I forgot about it as well)

its automatically better with the fact you can use Windows and it has actually good specs
#15  July 16, 2021, 06:33:21 pm
  • SNK is life
(Had no idea this thread would become a semantics debate about what constitutes portable)

I'm hype for the Steam Deck. PC Gaming prices, especially on Steam, are super affordable and this makes for a good option.
#16  July 16, 2021, 06:56:57 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It's portable if you can use it on the toilet.
#17  July 17, 2021, 04:29:29 am
    • Mexico

Yeah, I was thinking the same as well. Remember how people were overtly hyped about Steam Machines and how they'd compete a lot with PS4 and One? Me neither. Dunno if anyone here actually believes this thing will actually beat the living shit out of the Switch and co. in sales or whatever, but I wouldn't approach it with such mentality.

lui

#18  July 23, 2021, 09:21:49 pm
    • USA
#19  August 06, 2021, 04:55:35 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
For clarification's sake, this actually isn't the first portable PC with good ass specs to be entering the market. It IS however the first one with a good. ass. price.

Here are the other ones this generation that are competing with eachother. Most of these are an average of 700-900$ give or take and have similar specs to the Steam Deck.
Yeah, but this is a portable console, not another "PSP chinese clone with a PC inside where you can play everything". I mean, you only can get Steam system here and play the whole catalog with this console (or at least what they promise ith this release). I'm not so familiar with Steam (I got account there since years, but recently I got a decent PC to use it as a "console"), but I think this could be a good idea if this is done well.

Now, RetroArch is on works for Steam, so that's a real possibility to play everything on this new console. As Cinder said, I hope this project won't flop like Steam Machine and became a serious contender to actual consoles... and by actual, Switch isn't included LOL

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#20  August 06, 2021, 06:47:19 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
there are like other portable pc's with windows 10 you know right? I dont get the whole PSP chinese clone crap you spitting with this but okey man
also Retroarch fuck yeah