YesNoOk

UN123AL's Character Sprites (and tips requests) (Read 3929 times)

Started by UN123AL, April 01, 2014, 03:15:55 pm
Share this topic:
UN123AL's Character Sprites (and tips requests)
New #1  April 01, 2014, 03:15:55 pm
Greetings everyone,

UN123AL here to display my current Sprite WIPs.

I have been off the grid for quite some time, unfortunately, due to personal reasons as well as a system crash.

Some of you may remember the Streets of Rage Redraws I was doing.  Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my work due to a hard drive crash.  Down but not out.  I hope to return to them soon.

I've since been educating myself to increase workflow and thought I'd give a hand at sketching out some original characters to see what you guys think. 

As well, I humbly request any tips that any of you veteran pixel artists may give.  Optimal number of colors, etc.. etc..

In turn, I am also accepting project requests!  I'm hoping to help out any way I can and gain practice from the experience.

Here is the first character concept showcase.

Lamprey

This is a real rough draft and has approximately 133 colors. though I've managed to reduce them down to 32 (including transparency) on the present version. I think the pants and noose-belt are too similar in color, though. 

The idea behind this guy is that he has a colony of Lampreys living within his body that he can use as weapons.  I freaking hate lampreys and their creepy souless eyes.

Let me know what you think and if he's MUGEN Worthy :)  I'll be posting more soon.
Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:09:32 pm by UN123AL
Re: UN123AL's Original Characters (and tips requests)
#2  April 02, 2014, 03:10:51 am
mugen worthy? if anything i would say the difficulty of the project is based on the complexity of the sprite, i like how is very different in style of all of the current trends nowadays like the ArcĀ“s, Anime chibi styles and even the capcom versus style outhere, congratulations, this is very cool
Re: UN123AL's Original Characters (and tips requests)
#3  April 04, 2014, 03:03:48 pm
Alright, getting my work flow together.

I've decided to finish what I started before I start anything else ambitious otherwise, nothing will get done.

Unlike my last work on Max Thunder, I've decided to do a complete redraw of him for my remake.

This is a quick sketch and does not represent the final. 
Things that are going to be changed.  Greater Contrast. Brighter tone all around.

Link to my Original for comparison.  It just left me feeling unsatisfied.

And the Original Sprite.

What do you think about the new look and redraw?

Any suggestions?  I've been playing around with it to get a feel for how I want it to look.

Also, I've been thinking of an Alternate costume featuring him in a Kilt and war paint a la Braveheart.  (Max Thunder. Mad Max, Thunderdome, Mel Gibson. Braveheart if you need to follow the logic. :p)