YesNoOk

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 216080 times)

Started by DMK, November 23, 2010, 04:19:00 pm
Share this topic:

DMK

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#1  November 23, 2010, 04:19:00 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
According to a report from Eurogamer Denmark, Bethesda Game Studios is already into production on Elder Scrolls V and it's a direct sequel of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, continuing the story from the previous game that was set in the verdant realm of Cyrodiil.

The translation of the report, which was derived from an unspecified source, published on Eurogamer's English site reads as follows: "This source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content - with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades - and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles."

So, there it is then. Elder Scrolls V is coming and as soon as Bethesda officially reveal it, chances are the game's release might be just around the corner if comments from Executive Producer Todd Howard prove to be true: "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now."

Howard went on to reveal that the game is running on a heavily modified version of the Fallout 3 engine, stating that, "Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that. I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

Wow. Bold words indeed. Naturally, we'll be keeping our eye peeled for further Elder Scrolls V news in the hopefully near future, so stay tuned.

Source. Another source.

I'm glad their finally getting to work on a new Elder Scrolls. It feels like it's been so long and I can't wait to see what they can do with the upgraded Fallout 3 engine.
Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:36:11 pm by DMK
Re: Elder Scrolls V in production
#2  November 23, 2010, 05:51:36 pm
  • Follow the signal.
    • lightmattstoybox.wordpress.com/
I wonder if their changing the leveling system to where you don't have to sleep to level up.

On the note: I know the first thing I'm gonna do alot is jump around the first half of the game. ;D
#3  November 23, 2010, 06:51:55 pm
  • I've got ballllls of steeellll.
Well this just made my day.

Although I'm not yet sure how I feel about using the same engine.  A bit surprised, but it's perfectly fine with me if they can manage to truly make this feel like something new and worth playing (you know, because after playing the SHIT out of Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, it'd be a bit rough).
#4  November 23, 2010, 06:56:50 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Awesome. Alot of people disliked Oblivion but I loved it.
#5  November 23, 2010, 08:48:19 pm
  • FTW!!!
You should get the PC version, that way you can mod the shit out of it
#6  November 23, 2010, 08:57:58 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
 >:(

So yeah, with this I'm sure they won't bother anymore with future updates of the new Fallout. I guess there's no more point waiting for updates.

Anyway, I too loved Oblivion and I completely modified it, adding:

- Midas Magic.
- A mod that allows you to ride dragons.
- Some enhancements for graphics and other things that made the game a little more beautiful.
- The unofficial patches to solve problems --;
- Some mods that allows you to buy houses.
- Some weapons mods, like Scythes or twin swords.
- Some armor mods, like the one based on the first expansion of World of Warcraft.
- Some quests that were awesome.

And a lot more things. Heck, modifying it to the max is the main reason I'm still enjoying the games. The story of Oblivion sucked IMO, and the dungeons were sometimes really repetitive. Thanks god the second expansion was awesome.

Bea

#7  November 23, 2010, 09:22:13 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
They should make a sequel for Daggerfall, not Oblivion.  :(

Daggerfall map was as big as UK!
Of course, no one miss the random generated dungeons mess. >.>
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#8  November 23, 2010, 09:30:11 pm
  • FTW!!!
Dont forget about the Overhaul mods, adding a shit load of monsters, better leveling system, weapons, armors, made the monster level "static", and companions.

To put it simple, you are making your own, better world.
#9  November 23, 2010, 11:09:42 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Dont forget about the Overhaul mods, adding a shit load of monsters, better leveling system, weapons, armors, made the monster level "static", and companions.

To put it simple, you are making your own, better world.

Overhaul mods had a lot of incompatibilities with other mods. And they sorta make my game lag and sometimes crush even more, so I just didn't bother using them.

DMK

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#10  December 13, 2010, 05:35:35 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
With the barnstorming announcement of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at this weekend's VGAs, there's more good news to go alongside the game's confirmation. If the game's confirmation is your big burger, consider this little tidbit your fries.

Bethesda Community Manager, Nick Breckon has confirmed via Twitter that Elder Scrolls V won't be utilising the aging Gamebryo engine from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, or indeed a heavily modified version of it as once thought. Nor will the game make use of id Tech 5, which is powering Rage.

Instead, Elder Scrolls V is being built using an "all-new" engine, as Breckon announced on his Twitter page: "We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic."

Here's hoping that this all-new engine - which is an internally built graphics and gamepay engine - improves substantially upon the old one, and that Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a smooth and glitch-free experience. Fingers crossed.

Source

About damn time they moved on from Glitchbryo and put down for a new engine. This will be along wait, but it'll be worth it.  8)
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#11  December 13, 2010, 07:43:11 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
With the barnstorming announcement of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at this weekend's VGAs, there's more good news to go alongside the game's confirmation. If the game's confirmation is your big burger, consider this little tidbit your fries.

Bethesda Community Manager, Nick Breckon has confirmed via Twitter that Elder Scrolls V won't be utilising the aging Gamebryo engine from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, or indeed a heavily modified version of it as once thought. Nor will the game make use of id Tech 5, which is powering Rage.

Instead, Elder Scrolls V is being built using an "all-new" engine, as Breckon announced on his Twitter page: "We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic."

Here's hoping that this all-new engine - which is an internally built graphics and gamepay engine - improves substantially upon the old one, and that Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a smooth and glitch-free experience. Fingers crossed.

Source

About damn time they moved on from Glitchbryo and put down for a new engine. This will be along wait, but it'll be worth it.  8)

Does that mean we won't encounter that many bugs in the game?
#12  December 13, 2010, 07:52:18 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Depends.

Now we get to see whether it was Bethesda's incompetence or Gamebryo that was bugged depending on how the new engine is.
#13  December 13, 2010, 08:11:49 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Depends.

Now we get to see whether it was Bethesda's incompetence or Gamebryo that was bugged depending on how the new engine is.

Please let Gamebryo be the one at fault. I really beg that to happen.
#14  December 19, 2010, 07:03:19 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#15  February 24, 2011, 04:36:08 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
#16  February 24, 2011, 05:24:22 pm
    • USA
#17  February 24, 2011, 05:29:22 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Wow, that's nice. :)
#18  February 24, 2011, 07:29:36 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Watching the video, it seems it's possible that we're not able to create our own main character. Not a huge problem, but bothersome. Oh well, as long as:

- The magic system works way better, and there's more variety of spells. For what I've seen in the video, seems fine.

- The close combat system works waaaay better. Not just block then attack and it's over.

- They make a better leveling system.

- No repetitive dungeons, cities, people... in fact, they should aim to do the same awesome work as they did with the Fallout games.

- Better equipment. Seriously, including spears or other weapons is fine. I don't understand why they removed spears from the game, since you could use them in the previous games. Also, rare equipment should follow the same system as in Fallout. Hard to obtain, yet their effects are noticeable.

- Better storyline, allowing you to follow evil/neutral/good path. That's an awesome feature IMO.

- No bugs or crushes. Seriously, that's like asking for a miracle. At least, let's avoid gamecrashing problems.

... then I have no problems with this. Also, LOL at them using dragons. There's an unofficial mod in Oblivion that allows you to fight against a dragon. I can expect comments of people saying they took the idea from that mod.
#19  February 24, 2011, 07:32:25 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
#20  February 24, 2011, 07:36:13 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain