YesNoOk

still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial....... (Read 4656 times)

Started by #Shaun, October 19, 2007, 06:37:42 pm
Share this topic:
still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial.......
#1  October 19, 2007, 06:37:42 pm
  • corner push pusher
I remember somebody responding to this problem last month and I tried it out, and still got nothing. It's basically a problem of palette creation I guess (I either have the BGcolor still surrounding the player, or the player themselves has an afterimage-type palette setting). I ain't got PSP nor do I have a means to get it (using the library service with timed sessions  --; ).

I got some sprites ripped from the NES game Kung Fu and want to set up something. In photoshop CS I crop everything out so the canvas size is set specifically for the sprites I need, clear out all unwanted colors and clear out the background and get a transparency background instead. Realize that I have ALL the sprites open and cleaned like this. Then I go to indexed color, set it to local adpative with the transparency option checked, then hit ok. Then I go into the color palette, go to the bottom right and select the transparency color to pink and save all my stuff as pcxs, as well as saving the palette. I load the palette and sprites in Fighter Factory and get the errors I stated before.

Possible alternatives to solving this mess I tried was unchecking the transparency but doing that just leaves a white background, setting the index color to Exact rather than Local (adaptive), etc.

Man.....I know I'm forgetting/doing something real repugnant and stupid, but what?

Where's a photoshop CS tutorial when you need one......

Re: still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial.......
#2  October 19, 2007, 06:47:58 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
There is one in the docs. :P

Show a Screenshot of your pallete.
My shitty mugen stuff:
Re: still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial.......
#3  October 19, 2007, 06:52:32 pm
  • corner push pusher
Re: still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial......
#4  October 20, 2007, 03:09:24 pm
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
Is there not another application you can use other than Photoshop? I mean, it seems to be overkill for what you want to do.

Why not consider "GIMP"? It's free and should be able to cater for what you need. http://www.gimp.org/

Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
Re: still trying to find a decent Photoshop CS character creation tutorial......
#5  October 20, 2007, 04:49:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
as far as making palettes goes , even gfx gale an easily do the job, it saves in .pal format, and you can just drag and drop the colors to arrange them. you just need something that can convert from pcx to bmp and a pal2act converter, which i think exist plenty and free.
#6  October 20, 2007, 05:45:59 pm
  • corner push pusher
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try 'em out later when I get home.
#7  October 23, 2007, 04:20:09 pm
  • corner push pusher
Ok, here's the evidence of my mess-ups (FYI, the sprites are originally in BMP format before the process of converting them to pcx's, incase you're wondering)
=====================================
WARNING: these pics are 1024X768! if you're on dial-up, prepare to wait!

- i hightlight all the sprites i wanna convert to pcx and drag/drop them into photoshop
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

- in the file menu i go to image->mode->indexed color

- this is the screen that pops up. i have the palette set for "Exact", the transparency box unchecked, select "Master (Adaptive)" this way it will recognize all colors and set the color amount to 256, and click the palette roll-down menu (where it says "Exact") and select "Custom"

- from here is pretty much where I'm baffled. I know that pink color in the palette is the background.
That has to be set to be the transparency......so, that color has to be switched out and placed at the bottom right (for the color index of 0). The docs shows the colors being swapped from one place to another. I dunno how to do that (can't drag/drop) so I do this stupid thing instead:

- from here on out its pretty self-explainitory. i save the palette, convert all the sprites as pcx, then load it all up in Fighter Factory.  these are the end results:

as you can see, the active transparency option in FF is turned on but does nothing because I made a ridiculous mistake im not aware of.

So, yeah....back at the beginning, the second color to the left in the top row of the color palette, THAT color needs to be set for transparency, but I can't understand how to do it:

Dunno how the transparency color was switched to the bottom right whilst keeping all the other colors intact, because when I do it, well.....it becomes )(FJK)#@JF.

I showed you my ridiculous mistake. Now, please help me!
#8  October 23, 2007, 04:36:35 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
That has to be set to be the transparency......so, that color has to be switched out and placed at the bottom right (for the color index of 0). The docs shows the colors being swapped from one place to another. I dunno how to do that (can't drag/drop) so I do this stupid thing instead:
That's where you're doing something wrong.

Instead, modify the pink color (the second one) into a color which isn't used in the sprite, and click on save to save the palette. Now, don't apply it but exit the indexed colors part. Go back into it and do what you've just done, use custom palette and click on load to load the palette you've just saved. Apply this palette and save. You're done.

Also, when you'll know how to do this correctly with one sprite, I'd suggest you to try this to apply the palette to all the sprites : http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=67668.0
I have yet to complete the tutorial with more pics, but it should come soon. :P
#9  October 23, 2007, 05:09:39 pm
  • corner push pusher
That's where you're doing something wrong.

Instead, modify the pink color (the second one) into a color which isn't used in the sprite, and click on save to save the palette. Now, don't apply it but exit the indexed colors part. Go back into it and do what you've just done, use custom palette and click on load to load the palette you've just saved. Apply this palette and save. You're done.

Also, when you'll know how to do this correctly with one sprite, I'd suggest you to try this to apply the palette to all the sprites : http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=67668.0
I have yet to complete the tutorial with more pics, but it should come soon. :P

Ah, well looky there. Everything works so divine now...thanks DM!

I got my sound card FINALLY and I got my palette prob solved....muhawawawa.....Real Lucky can finally have a voice and I can finally get started on my two wips....

gia

#10  October 24, 2007, 02:26:19 am
Told you to make a sprite sheet first, in case some of your sprites have different colors, or the one you use to create the palette is missing a color. In any case when you are sure you got an image that has all the colors you need paint the background with one of those colors so you don't spend a "color slot", set the "exact" thing and later open the palette and set the transparency color to pink. If you set the second color to a color that your sprite doesn't use you'll "waste" that color slot. Or just do it since its working for you :P