YesNoOk

what game are you playing right now (Read 1051501 times)

Started by Shunu, December 09, 2009, 09:37:27 pm
Share this topic:
Re: what game are you playing right now
#5141  November 06, 2020, 07:07:43 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I got a PS4 recently, so I've been played Megaman 11 and Genshin Impact. And past weeks ago I got back my Xbox 360 and played Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga with my 5yo son, we got so much fun there :D

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5142  November 07, 2020, 12:42:45 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Mega Man 11's fun, but I never could get used to Rock's new voice.

I'll add my piece, since last time I gave up on Devil May Cry from before and have been knocking off other backlog titles, currently on Celeste.  And I think I'm in love with this game.  Its got just quite the right amount of challenge to its platforming for all its strawberries, has a surprisingly deep story for, you know, a Kaizo Mario platformer that's not too absorbed into itself but has enough to make me genuinely care about Madeline (Depression and Mario platforming challenges just go hand-in-hand, as you know), and just overall is a joy to play.  Beat the story, just cleaning up the collectables.

Only bother is the real ending is teased to you right after your normal ending, but then they only tell you afterwords you need to 100% the game to get the final level.  And apparently there's DLC that follows up after that but also requires you to 100% that epilogue as well.  So those puzzles throughout suddenly become mandatory rather than optional.  But hey, it's fun to play getting them anyways, so not particularly a downer.

As an aside, I never really considered how one could make Banjo-Kazooie speech noises sad, but this game apparently found a way.
Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:04:47 am by Long John Killer
#5143  November 07, 2020, 02:24:51 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I just picked up Mad Rat Dead, a rhythm game/platformer hybrid.  You play as a dead lab rat who gets brought back to life for one day to take his revenge against the human scientist who killed him.  Standard sidescroller design with the added twist that every movement, jump, and attack has to be timed to the beat of the BGM.

I completely adore this game.  The gameplay can be a bit rough in some places, but the audio and visual design is 100% up my alley.  It has a beautiful and often very grotesque punk/comic book art style, and an absolute banger electro swing soundtrack.  It's got such a thoroughly unique and fully realized aesthetic that I love to see in a game.
#5144  November 08, 2020, 05:14:10 pm
    • USA
Coincidentally, just starting Celeste for the first time now despite getting bombarded with 9/10 and 10/10 reviews when it came out, this just got shared on Nintendo news recently.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/372202-celeste-s-creator-says-they-ve-come-to-realize-that-the-game-s-ma?fbclid=IwAR1i2CmfKEhr2OaPSdZwJOPNyOF2glYl7Igw-54X0GRPCWL7UE-CXRakk5Q

And.....huh.  Good on them and all, but lacking the hindsight to mull over the story for that long, I don't quite see it that way?

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Unfortunately, I'm still not done 100%-ing the collectables to get the full ending yet, so I dunno if I'm just missing key details people have had for years that I'm just not privy to yet.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:25:18 pm by Long John Killer
#5145  November 08, 2020, 06:53:12 pm
I very vaguely heard about that stuff and I don't even know what the game is, but if the author says "I based the character on my own personal struggles" and then the author also says "actually after writing all this, I realized X and Y about myself", it seems pretty obvious that the character being based on the same struggle gets the same answer. This isn't about you wanting to imagine what the character is in your own head, this is about what the author learned about themselves, it doesn't really matter how you interpreted that backstory. If the game does reflect the author's own struggles, all that means is that you are misunderstanding the author, maybe because you don't recognize it and don't expect it.
Also apparently other people with similar experience immediately recognized it, it seems ? Maybe what you think means something else is just how it looks like for someone who has those struggles, as seen by someone who doesn't.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:59:01 pm by Byakko
#5146  November 08, 2020, 07:18:41 pm
    • USA
Sure.  And I don't mean that they're wrong because....duh.  It's their story.  But I'm also currently LOOKING at said story and scratching my head how they're reaching that conclusion.  But checking the blog post seems that essentially, yeah, I am missing said key details that others have picked up on in the epilogue and DLC.

So basically whoops, this news post was a spoiler that people were waiting for a while for and I was late coming in and still in the middle of the story.  Oh well.  Snape is Luke's father and Darth Vader kills Dumbledore at the end.

Guess it wouldn't be the first misinterpretation going on mid-story though, because until about the halfway point I was under the impression Madeline was a runaway, say, 13-year old?  Between her being really short and her homesickness calling home like it was EarthBound.  Wasn't until the chapter devoted just to story exposition that she says how she often deals with depression by getting plastered and arguing on internet forums that I went "Oh" and realized I was mistaken.  And then I wondered for a bit if this was like Psychotic's games like MechaNika and she's just a REALLLY messed-up child or not, would fit into the story's narrative, but nah, it's just the art direction deceiving you.
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:40:14 pm by Long John Killer
#5147  November 08, 2020, 07:38:05 pm
You're watching it, they're living it. The blog post says the DLC was written after the author started figuring things out, so the main game is still the same thing : that's just what it looks like when someone who doesn't have those struggles watches someone ho has them but hasn't figured it out yet. Even without the DLC. What this should tell you is, maybe people who look like that have similar struggles that I don't see.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#5148  November 22, 2020, 12:24:53 am
    • USA
Well, the follow-up to that now; I've 100%-ed Celeste.  All of it that it considers "mandatory until there's no more progression to be had", the only things I left were the Golden Strawberries which are just endurance runs to beat the game without dying, no real reward for the brain aneurisms I'd get attempting THAT.  The Farewell DLC took 2740 deaths at 16 hours alone for the one level.

So....first and foremost, I adored this game front to back.  It is likely sitting at my game of the year, only it's competing with A Hat in Time, Doom Eternal and FFVIIR I played this year, so yeah, good games all around.  Despite that large number I gave prior for just one level, albeit an intentionally super hard challenging one, the even bigger total for the game as a whole was 9000+ deaths at 60 hours and still I never really felt cheated out of any of those deaths due to bad game design, just my own failings.  That's a great feeling in a platformer, hell, video games in general, and amusingly fitting enough there's an underlying thread lining message of learning through failure in both gameplay and story to push you to do better.  It was just overall a very GOOD game without spoiling beyond the officially public materials, I see why it got all those 10/10s and was up for GotY two years ago.

....But since that news article, I found myself scrutinizing every scene and background material to fit into the developer's intended takeaway, and again, I can see it much more clearly (There's a bit at the end of the DLC that implies it more heavy-handedly) but I kinda liked it better as vague enough to fill in your own headcanon.  I was picturing, like, she caused an accident that killed a family member or something, stemming from her panic attacks or something.  Ah well, it's not really a "negative', just strange to hear the impact of the finale when still only half-way through initially, painting the rest of the story before I get there.

Anyways, I need to find a new game to start up from the backlog.  Something easy and less twitchy-into-perfection.  Like Yooka-Laylee.  Or Dark Souls.

Oh also Celeste's OST is fantastic.

Considering buying the three albums digitally just to support them.
Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:33:01 am by Long John Killer
#5149  December 04, 2020, 08:44:48 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Ive been playing Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul so evey character from the franchise is in the game and the art style is like Naruto games and it has everything you wanted for a single player contents so if you like saint Seiya animeted saga so give it a try, I recommend it
Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:48:53 pm by yaret
#5150  December 09, 2020, 12:36:13 pm
Immortals Fenyx Rising on Switch
The story fits on 2 lines, but it's well made and pretty and entertaining
But
IT KEEPS FUCKING CRASHING. When I warp to the main hall hub, when I pause the game... At least the frequent autosave works great.
Also the control scheme is fucked. But it's cool that you can change it an reassign every button.
The humor in the dialog with Zeus feels very... French, somehow ?

edit
there was a big update today
It crashes even more. While beating bosses and solving puzzles and such. What the hell are they doing. People thought this game would be a disaster because of the clogged release period, but it's the crashes that are the worst.
Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:51:02 am by Byakko
#5151  January 19, 2021, 01:06:18 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I'm still stuck with gGenshin Impact, is almost the only thing I play these days. Oh, and sometimes KOFXIV, I like the game anyway but I consider it too easy for KOF standards (that or I'm becoming good at FG, nah XD)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5152  January 21, 2021, 05:07:43 pm
  • The Ultimate Chosen Idiot
  • Idk what to put here
    • USA
Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Nintendo Switch

The game is a really fun 2D platformer just like Donkey Kong Country Returns, also with a variety of things you can do on there.
#5153  January 21, 2021, 11:28:09 pm
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
Other than my usual genre (Fighting and Arcade Games) I'm playing Pokemon Shield for shiny hunting via dynamax adventures. I only managed to get a shiny Absol and Mr.Mine thus far and I'm trying to get a shiny Entei.
#5154  January 27, 2021, 02:40:45 am
    • USA
I'm not sure what compelled me, but I was suddenly nostalgic for Diablo.  While I have the first two games pretty well memorized from years ago, I only played Diablo 3 the one time when it was new and haven't touched it or even really thought about it since, to the point I've largely forgotten the plot of it.  Well, they have some complete version on consoles now that I guess I got at some point, so I figure why not replay it with the new stuff added in over time?

For one, Necromancer is broken.  As in, on the hardest difficulty you start with (Yes, I see there's whole multitude of tiers afterwords to unlock but that's later), a day in, I'm on Act II at level 46 and have yet to have taken damage.  It's SO easy to abuse the game with this class, I have to imagine the harder tiers are less kind to corpse explosion and bone spear usage.

Story's....not terrible, but as I go I'm recalling the good parts, but more-so the bad parts shine through.  What a waste of Deckard Cain, one of early Blizzard's most memorable characters.
#5155  January 27, 2021, 11:29:23 am
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
Because I'm always late to the party, recently picked up Ghost of Tsushima for the PS4. It's honestly beautiful. I've only just got to Act 2, but I've found myself exploring and unlocking as many abilities as I can as I go. It amuses me that nearly every town/camp you go to there's at least one person who gives you a quest to do... not always in the same area! XD

I heard it was meant to be a sort of spiritual successor to Tenchu, and I've kinda dropped into the whole trying to stealth kill most things. Ye gods it's fun!

Also, 10/10 for being able to pet the foxes. :P
#5156  February 01, 2021, 04:14:19 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
All right, let's see what my current rotation has been.

Spoiler: "Rocket League" (click to see content)

Spoiler: "Overwatch" (click to see content)

Spoiler: "Apex Legends" (click to see content)

Spoiler: "GTA Online" (click to see content)

Spoiler: "Monster Hunter World" (click to see content)
#5157  February 01, 2021, 07:40:26 am
    • USA
Well, I finished reruning through Diablo 3.  I don't feel as annoyed by its lighter tone and pointless retcons years later, the need to change your Diablo 1 character into Leoric's son is still stupid, and this game's absolute abandonment of Leah after propping her up as a new main star (And subsequent implications on her revival after killing Super Diablo that went absolutely nowhere and the plot point was dropped faster than your plot armored character booted the Prime Evil after he literally soloed all of Heaven) are still, well....stupid.  But it's Diablo, the gameplay was exactly what I expected going in, and despite Necromancer's complete brokenness against A.I., later being able to altering the difficultly way past "hardest" made it more enjoyable.  I like it better for post-game than its actual narrative they were trying to sell, which is a shame because Diablo 1 and 2 were HUGE in my childhood.

The game altering to default to playing Tristram's theme after beating it was a nice touch, though.

Speaking of Blizzard though, going through the backlog I'm reminded I still own an untouched copy of Overwatch.  Well, I booted it up to at least give it its fair shake and knock that off the list.  After pages of legally binding documents selling my soul to the devil, I find that A) The options outright alert you to that they're gonna sell your data to outside sources if you play Overwatch so you know, screw that, and B) I simply do not enjoy the gameplay going by the tutorial and testing grounds.  Add on the loot box nonsense and you can't even get all the unlockables anymore and I think I'm already going to be dropping this.  Was at least hoping with the cross-promotion between Blizzard titles and Diablo 3 having Mercy in it, beating Diablo 3 would, like, give me Necromancer skins in Overwatch or something.  Oh well.  There is a Nova skin from StarCraft that's slightly burning after her game's cancelation.

Which to not beat a dead horse, I'm still disappointed in this not being what, like, 90% of the ads and hell, the in-game opening sells you on, a big expansive story about essentially mech-suit X-Men fighting to save the world that condemned them.  The supposed enemies of Overwatch are literal Sentinels, they're building-sized giant robots.  I don't have the slightest interest in another multiplayer shooter.  So this franchise's entire existence confounds me.  It's selling me on a genuinely interesting idea that's not to be found in the game.  And I wish that wasn't the case, Blizzard used to write engaging stories.

Anyways, it's clearly not the type of game for me for what it actual is instead of what I wanted it to be.  Might continue the Blizzard train and go back to Diablo 2 or StarCraft for a bit after clearing up Diablo 3 post-game.
#5158  February 01, 2021, 08:20:09 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
I really feel where you're coming from with Overwatch. I really like the story, characters, and setting that the game presents, but it's all just centered around a multiplayer team shooter. You'd think they'd have included some kind of single-player campaign with the world they set up.

Oh well, there is supposed to be a PvE mode coming in Overwatch 2. Here's hoping it'll have a good amount of substance to it.
#5159  February 01, 2021, 08:36:20 am
    • USA
For a game that loved the news coverage on it's inclusivity over its supposed main character being gay and then what I assume is like a quarter of the cast followed from the bits I hear on news sites, it breaks my brain after the ludicrous success it found it DIDN'T pounce on an X-Men adjacent story about being excluded from the world for being different than the heroes they wanted.  It's literally THERE in the opening.  You have the blueprints already established!

It's nice the sequel supposedly has SOMETHING, but it just infuriates me the missed opportunity at something substantial to be had here now.  I WANT to like Overwatch is what gets under my skin.  I just have zero interest in an online-only multiplayer team shooter.  Hell, I might have even been interested if it was like BioShock 2 or something, where each rank unlocks more story cutscenes to your chosen character.  But that doesn't seem to be the case, it's abstract implications of characteristics at best.  Like fighting game characters sans arcade openings and endings.  And Dark Souls this ain't at getting the point across through item descriptions telling a grander story put together.
#5160  February 01, 2021, 10:03:30 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I've been playing Tekken 7 a whole lot nowadays.
My mains are Zafina (Tekken 6~) and Anna (Tekken 5~), but all these new, easy newcomers like Claudio, Negan, Josie, Katarina are annoying the heck out of me lol.

I also play Apex Legends, HoTS and Dead By Daylight from time to time.