YesNoOk

Them's Fightin' Herds (Read 69711 times)

Started by Person Man, September 21, 2015, 04:23:20 pm
Share this topic:
Them's Fightin' Herds
#1  September 21, 2015, 04:23:20 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

Let the stampede begin!

Originally an MLP fangame, Them's Fightin' Herds came about after the developers got hit with a Cease and Desist order from Hasbro for obvious reasons.  Instead of just giving up, they salvaged all of the mechanics of the game they'd made so far and reworked it into a brand new original IP. 

- 4 Button gameplay, standard LMH basic attacks plus a gimmick button that activates each character's unique mechanic.
- Built using the Skullgirls Z-Engine, given to the team by Lab Zero as part of their own crowdfunding campaign a while back
- Character and world design by cartoonist Lauren Faust, known for her work on MLP: Friendship is Magic, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Powerpuff Girls, and the Iron Giant, among others.
- A dynamic music system that actively modifies the stage music based on which characters are fighting, who's winning, and how intense the match is at the time.

Go here to throw all of your money at this game right now.
Re: Them's Fightin' Herds
#2  September 21, 2015, 06:10:43 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Is this Marvel?

But seriously, having ridiculusly long combos as the norm with no way to burst is just bad design. I can understand burning a shit ton of meter for it or having the long combo be hard to pull off due to restrictive linking but when it's literally the bnb for everyone, then we have a problem. Literally doing nothing while I wait for my opponent to finish their half minute long combo is not my idea of fun.
#3  September 21, 2015, 06:14:03 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
Hmm, I've noticed so far It doesn't look like there's a character that plays like Rainbow Dash, I hope they prove me wrong.
this website is stupid
#4  September 21, 2015, 06:15:12 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Lmao shut up darkflare. The damage scaling makes it all fair

Just like in every fighting game, don't get hit
#5  September 21, 2015, 06:21:17 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Damage scaling means jack. You're still getting meter for it or does THAT scale too?

Not everyone plays bad games with touch of death combos. Don't get Hit? You're right, scoring Perfects consistently is so damn easy to do.
#6  September 21, 2015, 06:26:37 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Guys, guys, it's still early and they are still working on it. I really do like that they still have that feel of Fighting is Magic. It was very fun playing, and I hope to get a chance to play this game as well.
#7  September 21, 2015, 06:28:51 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
Coming from someone who's actually played the game, the game has its long combos yea...but you have to get hit like 5 time before you're in danger of losing. If you cant block 5 times then I'm sorry get better.
#8  September 21, 2015, 07:39:23 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Damage is ridiculously low in this game.
#9  September 21, 2015, 07:48:27 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
That name is so groan inducing.

I have no interest in this, but uh, best of luck to them.
#10  September 21, 2015, 08:01:31 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Coming from someone who's actually played the game, the game has its long combos yea...but you have to get hit like 5 time before you're in danger of losing. If you cant block 5 times then I'm sorry get better.

Well of course, because god forbid you have touch of death combos on a 1 on 1.
That still doesn't change the fact that I find the combos way too long for what's essentially a bnb. I expect more meter usage from a combo like those BESIDES the super ender. Getting hit by 5 combos in any fighter puts you in danger if not outright kill you, but at least those combos don't take half a minute to end.
#11  September 21, 2015, 08:20:42 pm
I agree, damage should be increased. Timeouts would seem pretty common it the timer didn't move so slow.

Looks good otherwise. Though tbh doesn't look like my thing, gameplay appears similar to Skullgirls (which I'm not too keen on). Then again early in development so I'm willing to reserve.
#12  September 22, 2015, 02:39:04 am
    • USA
It's worth remember that everything we're seeing now is all pre-alpha, so yeah.  "Subject to change."

I couldn't get on to donate at work and I missed out on getting one of the "design an alternate color scheme" rewards.  I had this great concept for Pom to have a Josuke Higashikata palette and her dogs would be little Crazy Diamonds.   Guess I'll have to settle on one of the lower tiers.

:EDIT:  Dev interview and write up from SRK.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/09/21/from-ponies-to-something-more-mane6-talks-thems-fightin-herds-development-crowdfunding-and-more/
Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:51:54 am by Person Man
#13  September 22, 2015, 03:29:34 am
tbh im more interested in Lab Zero’s Z-Engine. that thing would render MUGEN obsolete if it becomes open source (or atleast proprietary software).
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#14  September 22, 2015, 08:40:48 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Don't know how you'd come to the conclusion that Lab Zero would make it available for the general public.
#15  September 22, 2015, 09:02:12 pm
  • Wonderful One
  • DETERMINATION
    • USA
    • oatsandmoats.tumblr.com
The game looks very promising. Hope the best of luck to them and eagerly await the release of this title!  I remember playing the heck out of the latest build for FiM. Though I wasn't a fan of the show, the gameplay and music was enough to sway me and kept me playing for a good while.

It's a darn shame it's PC only.
#16  September 23, 2015, 01:40:19 am
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#17  September 23, 2015, 01:48:23 am
    • USA
#18  September 23, 2015, 01:56:28 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
115k so far. Not to bad at all
#19  September 23, 2015, 01:10:34 pm
    • USA
#20  September 23, 2015, 04:20:22 pm
    • Germany
I have to say, that they are using a Longma is a interesting choice, voted YES on steam. =D