YesNoOk

Which direction should diagonally reflected projectiles launch back? (Read 29399 times)

Started by rgveda99, January 26, 2022, 08:21:12 am
Share this topic:
Which direction should diagonally reflected projectiles launch back?
#1  January 26, 2022, 08:21:12 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Should aerial fireballs that shoot diagonally downwards be reflected back diagonally up or continue down?

Also should vertical fireballs like Venus Wink Chain Sword be reflected vertically or horizontally?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: Which direction should diagonally reflected projectiles launch back?
#2  January 26, 2022, 09:46:01 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
There's no right answer here, but I'll answer your question with another question: what does the reflect animation look like?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  January 26, 2022, 11:46:07 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Usually involves a forcefield/energy barrier like Athena, Shredder or Rugal, an object like Haomaru, Hsien-Ko or Rose. There are some reflection animation that cancels a the opponents projectile then gives out a different fireball.

The most interesting one I've seen so far is that KOF98 hack where mature drops Rugal's statue and it stays there for a while. It's funny seeing 2 Mature's throwing that reflective statue and then one players throws a projectile.

I would imagine Hsien-Ko's gong reflector just cancelling out Blackheart's demon summoning normals. It would look funny seeing it reflect Iceman's ginormous ice boulder.

The problem are beam type projectiles like Cyclops, Cable and Iceman especially the one's that passes through the opponent. I guess the best way to fix that is to give the reflecting character an armor taking all the projectile hits then it would reflect everything back.
sailormoongalaxy said:
Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:52:39 am by rgveda99
#4  January 26, 2022, 01:04:30 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
In my opinion, if the projectile keeps going down after reflection, it will most likely hit the ground and not hit the opponent back, so, even if it makes more sense it's not very useful.
#5  January 26, 2022, 05:17:54 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
What I was trying to get at is that it's going to depend on what the reflector looks like. Rose is an excellent example of this because she can reflect in two directions.

A vertical projectile like your example probably should not be reflectable. Unless the opponent had a reflector in the stage ceiling or whatever.

Beams can work either way I think. It makes sense that they can bypass reflectors since they bypass other projectiles, but, at the same time, if you had a massive reflector then it'd make sense to reflect the beam. It has more to do with game design than having a single correct answer.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#6  January 26, 2022, 05:23:38 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
AFAIK, projectiles are mostly used horizontally, so most of reflect shields throws them back to the owner (in MUGEN usually by their own projectile, it can't be done the same it receives), so by this logic, the aerial projectiles should be deflected in the same way and direction, no matter where it comes from (from land, from air, etc)

The problem are beam type projectiles like Cyclops, Cable and Iceman especially the one's that passes through the opponent. I guess the best way to fix that is to give the reflecting character an armor taking all the projectile hits then it would reflect everything back.
That can't be done in MUGEN, most of beams are made with helpers and not supposed to be stopped by nothing, only blocked to stop damage or get it all over.... or hit the enemy before they do it, cancelling the move

Also all depends of the character, like Rose and Eagle that their projectile cancel moves (in the case of the gentleman, the swing works as this) vary depends of the button used and the effect is different

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#7  January 26, 2022, 08:34:37 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
A reflection that can't hit the attacker makes no sense. I say it should be diagonally up.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#8  January 27, 2022, 01:50:47 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Beams can work either way I think. It makes sense that they can bypass reflectors since they bypass other projectiles, but, at the same time, if you had a massive reflector then it'd make sense to reflect the beam. It has more to do with game design than having a single correct answer.

Yeah. Some of them  would require additional custom made animation.

Column type projectiles and ground explosions like Blackheart's and Dizzy's would be the most problematic in this case. Of course reflect abilities like Hsien Ko and almost everyone else shouldn't reflect given that they have a vulnerable spot which is up, down and behind. Now if you made Magneto's force shield able to reflect projectiles it just wouldn't look right and would require additional animation. I guess you could use existing sprites like the Reality Gem's random elements. So like Blackheart using ice pillars it will just reflect back mini ice boulders.

A reflection that can't hit the attacker makes no sense. I say it should be diagonally up.

I agree it should punish since it's a very situational move. Now the other question is should a regular reflector be able to reflect super or desperation projectiles like KOF or something that has a tier system like Rose's Level 3 in SFA?

Also all depends of the character, like Rose and Eagle that their projectile cancel moves (in the case of the gentleman, the swing works as this) vary depends of the button used and the effect is different

Yeah. It really depends on how you want the game or character to be. Like bosses are exempted from reflect abilities or that thing they did with boxer in the Street Fighter Movie arcade game where he can reflect projectiles.

One thing I haven't seen is Hsien Ko's EX reflect gong hit another EX reflect gong. I guess they both reflect?
sailormoongalaxy said:
#9  January 27, 2022, 03:49:42 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I don't think I've ever seen a diagonally downward fireball get reflected diagonally upward. Just feels weird.

I think they should be reflected horizontally or diagonally downward. Horizontally feels like it makes the most sense to me, for some reason.
#10  January 27, 2022, 09:17:10 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Shredder reflects it back upwards which is rare.

Happens at 13:12 and 13:22.

sailormoongalaxy said: