YesNoOk

Mr. Satan - Behind The Scenes (Read 50574 times)

Started by Jango, April 10, 2017, 10:06:07 pm
Share this topic:
Mr. Satan - Behind The Scenes
#1  April 10, 2017, 10:06:07 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Hey all, Jango here. I hope you are all having fun with the Champ Build and our revamped take on Mr. Satan. I wasn't lying about joining Team Z2 back on April 1st, but my involvement was actually being the head coder for Mr. Satan! Early on, the team agreed that his development (and my involvement) should be kept a secret from the public until release, so there was a lot of stuff that happened behind the scenes that you normally would've seen in other character WIPs. Therefore, I'm here to get you all caught up on what you missed, and show you some of the thought process that went behind it all!

There's a lot to talk about, so I spoilered a bunch of sections that you can read at your own leisure!

Spoiler: Great Saiya-NOPE (click to see content)

Spoiler: Oh take me back to the start (click to see content)

Spoiler: Compromise with the Capsule (click to see content)

Spoiler: Everybody get hype! (click to see content)

Spoiler: References? In my Satan??? (click to see content)

Spoiler: The colors, Duke! The colors! (click to see content)

So those are some of the big things that came up in mind for Mr. Satan. If y'all have any other questions about him, feel free to ask or let me know what you think. The Champ's Build might be out, but there are still possibilities for the community to contribute to the big dude (additionally, I'm working with the staff to make sure said efforts are rewarded!). Speaking of WIPs, I will also take this time to announce that I'm teaming up with Daeron to make Krillin, so look forward to that! While I don't have anything prepared for everyone at the moment, keep your eyes peeled, because I'll be addressing it soon!

Thanks to the Z2 Team for welcoming me to work on this project, and thanks to all of you for downloading and supporting this character. I was lurking Maximilian's stream when it was on, and just seeing all the enthusiasm for Mr. Satan, both on camera and in-chat was really inspiring to me, and I'm really thankful for the opportunity to come onboard and do this.

And thanks to Daeron for doing this piece days before Satan's release!

And with that, I think I've earned myself a nap :P
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:13:01 am by Jango
Re: Re: HDBZ CHAMP EDITION RELEASE
#2  April 10, 2017, 11:59:50 pm
  • Fate's Persona
  • Words hurt more than blades.
For as long as there are donators,HDBZ won't cut out,might be at a slower pace though.Props should go to them :thumbsup:

And  @Jango:

Good Luck with Krillin man.Hercule's Emo mode is totally from a similar move of  Beowulf from Skullgirls.
Who i might make a pal to referrence on Hercule.....and a Dan Hibiki one if he doesn't have one.
Good rest to you and have fun coding Krillin :thumbsup:
I wish Hercule had an air-dash/air time extender backwards though.

P.S. You Beatiful Motherfuckers might have Broly in the works behind the scenes,
im not sure with you anymore :mlol:
Also,XGargoyle told me that Jango being in the team was prat of the joke,obviously false as it seems.
~ A swift blade makes monsters tame. ~
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:53:45 am by AgentofDestiny

ZX2

#3  April 11, 2017, 01:35:33 am
  • Bringer of Unseen Tales
  • The Finale Begins With You~
Um I'm sure I missed out on this small thing. but why are we calling the Power Mode Emo Mode? ._.' I've seen that word used so many times now even on other Z2 character project threads.
#4  April 11, 2017, 01:46:15 am
  • Fate's Persona
@ZX2:

Emo=Emotion     .........or generally Z2 Mode

And the emotions are to define one's character.Just as a Z2 Mode does.
Champion Mode for Hercule,because he is the champ.Though severely outclassed.
Destiny for Gohan because it was his destiny to become Mystic Gohan,though previously the mode was called Unleashed.
Hope for Goku because he brings the hop that evil'll be exerminated
Rage for Vegeta because......it's Vegeta and so on.
That's how i understand it atleast.Understand half of what im trying to say?
Because im saying it very uncorrectly and weird maybe.
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:36:24 pm by AgentofDestiny
#5  April 11, 2017, 02:18:00 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Um I'm sure I missed out on this small thing. but why are we calling the Power Mode Emo Mode? ._.' I've seen that word used so many times now even on other Z2 character project threads.
It's just shorthand for "that mode that you activate with D,D+MP+MK." :P It makes it easier to understand when talking about the mode between characters versus me having to alternate between talking about "Sadism Mode" in Freeza and "Destiny Mode" in Gohan.

Good Luck with Krillin man.His Emo mode is totally from a similar move of  Beowulf from Skullgirls.
Who i might make a pal to referrence on Hercule.....and a Dan Hibiki one if he doesn't have one.
Good rest to you and have fun coding Krillin :thumbsup:
I wish Hercule had an air-dash/air time extender backwards though.
I don't know where you're hearing about Krillin's Emo Mode, but that hasn't been discussed yet. Unless you're saying it's Satan's Emo mode in which case, they kinda have the same build-up but whereas Beowulf's basically powers up one super (unless it changed since last time I played?), Satan's unlocks stronger specials, access to finishers, and access to a new move.

Not a huge fan of a Dan Hibiki palette since Mr. Satan isn't really like Dan. Dan's bad moves are because he's unfocused and can't be bothered to train. Mr. Satan in the DBZ universe is a completely competent martial artist (the best as far as most of the world is concerned), but is only made ridiculous due to what the audience knows about the DBZ universe. Old Satan has a Dan palette, though.

Finally, no air backdash just because I couldn't think of a way to make it be different or to give it a use. The forward airdash was actually a joke I came up with about a month ago when one of our testers asked why he doesn't have an airdash, so I asked Balth to quickly sprite him flapping his arms and coded the airdash to actually slow down his forward momentum. The tester actually liked it, and as I watch vids on Youtube it's getting lots of use so I'm pretty shocked that what was meant as a one-time joke turned into a full-fledged feature people could actually use.

ZX2

#6  April 11, 2017, 02:53:19 am
Ah I see. I just needed to know why it was switched up. I'm actually more accustom to calling them power modes or burst modes actually.
Re: Mr. Satan - Behind The Scenes
#7  April 11, 2017, 02:10:19 pm
    • Argentina
It was great to read it all, Jango. I think you guys, the team, should do it more often! It makes you realise how it feels to be part of the team. Like I said in the release topic, you made him more interesting (to me) and I definitely like Mr. Satan now!

I love finding all those references the characters have, it's like a mini game lol Great news about Krillin! I'm looking forward to reading more about him! :D
#8  April 11, 2017, 02:26:37 pm
  • Fate's Persona
Finally, no air backdash just because I couldn't think of a way to make it be different or to give it a use. The forward airdash was actually a joke I came up with about a month ago when one of our testers asked why he doesn't have an airdash, so I asked Balth to quickly sprite him flapping his arms and coded the airdash to actually slow down his forward momentum. The tester actually liked it, and as I watch vids on Youtube it's getting lots of use so I'm pretty shocked that what was meant as a one-time joke turned into a full-fledged feature people could actually use.

Oh well,i just find it odd.I thought if you are interested an air backdash that does chip damage for defence purposes.But yeah,oh i have to wait long now before Buu and Gotenks come out.Also,even though this can be change,what is the current idea for his gameplan?   Will it be similar to Extreme Butoden's version?
#9  April 11, 2017, 03:38:17 pm
I have a question. I was scrolling through the new satans sprites and i found a lot of names in it most of them being dbz char names so i just wanna ask what are those for?
#10  April 11, 2017, 04:30:53 pm
  • Fate's Persona
Alright,no one would bother for this but here i am.
I made a Dan Hibiki pal for Hercule,tried it out and it works like charm. Thank you JNP for the sff2 pal install guide.
I used the 19922 index number,because anything before seemed used even though no pal exists in accordance.Except a pal with 19921 index.
If you like it,please use it.
And change the number if necesarry.

Well,here it is:

Also,there some color sets probably meant for something
but i didn't see them on Hercule so i left them untouched.

lui

#11  April 11, 2017, 05:24:46 pm
    • USA
#12  April 11, 2017, 05:37:57 pm
  • Fate's Persona

lui

#13  April 11, 2017, 05:39:48 pm
    • USA
you should make that clearer next time because the way you worded it made it sound rude
#14  April 11, 2017, 06:15:33 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I have a question. I was scrolling through the new satans sprites and i found a lot of names in it most of them being dbz char names so i just wanna ask what are those for?

Oh right! Now I get to talk about scrapped stuff!

One of Mr. Satan's planned Easter Egg items was a Pokeball from Pokemon. It was going to be the ONLY Easter Egg that behaved differently, in that it would temporarily trap the opponent in there. It would do moderate damage, and it would wobble and release the opponent based on how much health they had. If the attack killed them, it would play the "caught Pokemon" jingle and say "Gotcha! ________ was caught!" I put in every DBZ name I could think of for the move so that A) I could add them in easily for future characters, and B) to throw off people trying to learn about secret other releases.

But in the end, I spent two days on the move and it not only broke a lot of things, but it ruined the flow of combat whenever it came out, so I scrapped it. I left the sprites in there though as a surprise for anyone who browses through the SFF (actually it's more that I'm lazy but eh).

Alright,no one would bother for this but here i am.
I made a Dan Hibiki pal for Hercule,tried it out and it works like charm. Thank you JNP for the sff2 pal install guide.
I used the 19922 index number,because anything before seemed used even though no pal exists in accordance.Except a pal with 19921 index.
If you like it,please use it.
And change the number if necesarry.
Oh, the 7 GRAND DAD palette is just 19921 because the title screen of 7 GRAND DAD famously says it was released in "1992 1". You can use whatever secondary number you want for it pretty much.

As far as your palette goes, the lighting definitely could use more improvement, especially on the pants and shirt. Although I probably won't use the palette, the best advice I can give you (and what I used for a lot of Mr. Satan's palettes) is to look for a sprite of Dan Hibki and steal the colors from that. Dan's CvS set is pretty good in terms of color variety and could easily be transferred to Satan.

I'll have a formal palette contribution thread soon though, so stay tuned!
#15  April 11, 2017, 06:51:33 pm
  • Fate's Persona
I did just that,i was bothered with the lighting in the gi but i was afraid to accidentaly remove Dan's charm.
I'll try and fix the lighting in those parts,oh and before i do it or contribute any pallete,would you mind telling me what these colors are for?

I used  a png from the Pallete Showcase folder,they are for Satan's stance,being or something.I can't really find out what these are for.

EDIT:My second attempt at the Dan Hibiki pal

Im more proud of this one and the coloring seems a bit "heavier" too.
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:12:45 pm by AgentofDestiny
#16  April 11, 2017, 08:11:04 pm
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA
Once again i have to tell you good job on Satan. He is well done and fun to play as. I look forward to seeing your work on Krillin and the little bit we've seen so far seems awesome. You can tell this was a labor of love from some one who is a fan of the character. I do think you are giving my boy Dan the short end of the stick tho lol. Him and Satan are actually very much a like in multiple ways. Both are for all intents and purposes usually depicted as competent compared to most of their universe but severely outclassed by the extraordinary fighters who are the focus. Dan doesn't fall short for lack of trying but his training was cut short when it was found that it was all for the purpose of revenge. Both are comic relief in a other wise more serious setting. Hell, they both even had people throw fights for them. At their core, for all their silly ways they are better than they appear. Satan cares for the people and planet and Dan was a son who wanted to avenge his father probably knowing full well he could have met his end after he didn't receive full training and still went to challenge Sagat.
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

#17  April 11, 2017, 08:59:05 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
I didn't expect this type of post to be made... and I'm glad I've seen it. I fucking love seeing the details and thought process to things... Thanks for sharing.
#18  April 12, 2017, 02:36:35 am
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Saw the entire post. Good job making this unexpected specially after that farmer thread. Lots of secret and hard work. Another nice addition to the Z2 team!
#19  April 12, 2017, 02:48:06 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Just launched Satan's project thread if you wanna contribute palettes or talk the future of the character, but for now, time to respond!

Your arrows, top to bottom, are "inside of mouth," cape (as seen in one of his intros and the helicopter winpose), and baseball bat (for focus attacks). HOWEVER, do not edit the baseball bat colors. Due to how the palette mapping works, there seems to be a bug with the leftover bat reverting to whatever palette 1 is after being dropped.

Also Dan palette's better, although I'd personally tint the darkest shade to be slightly more red.

Once again i have to tell you good job on Satan. He is well done and fun to play as. I look forward to seeing your work on Krillin and the little bit we've seen so far seems awesome. You can tell this was a labor of love from some one who is a fan of the character. I do think you are giving my boy Dan the short end of the stick tho lol. Him and Satan are actually very much a like in multiple ways. Both are for all intents and purposes usually depicted as competent compared to most of their universe but severely outclassed by the extraordinary fighters who are the focus. Dan doesn't fall short for lack of trying but his training was cut short when it was found that it was all for the purpose of revenge. Both are comic relief in a other wise more serious setting. Hell, they both even had people throw fights for them. At their core, for all their silly ways they are better than they appear. Satan cares for the people and planet and Dan was a son who wanted to avenge his father probably knowing full well he could have met his end after he didn't receive full training and still went to challenge Sagat.
Valid points on Dan, will definitely be consider this going forward.

As for the rest, Krillin's been pretty unique to work on so far, and while I can't say too much at the moment, he'll definitely shake things up a bit with his playstyle. And thanks for your kind words on Satan!

I didn't expect this type of post to be made... and I'm glad I've seen it. I fucking love seeing the details and thought process to things... Thanks for sharing.
Same! I always find the "why" to be extra-fascinating, so being able to do the same for Mr. Satan is kinda fun for me!

Saw the entire post. Good job making this unexpected specially after that farmer thread. Lots of secret and hard work. Another nice addition to the Z2 team!
Thanks! Farmer was cooked up last minute, but after talking it over with the team, we thought it would be funny if I legitimately announced being on the team on a day when NOTHING would be taken seriously XD

Sadly, False SSJ Goku and Mustache Vegeta are still AF characters. OR ARE THEY?!?!?!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:52:15 am by Jango

ZX2

#20  April 12, 2017, 06:38:03 am
Oh I didn't know this topic thread was created. I was looking through my past messages and saw I made a comment in this thread (Pretty sure I didn't) and I was like "Zauh?" lol.

But uh actually had an idea for the items that come out of Hercule's Capsules and this is gonna sound a little mean. but lets put Benny in one of the capsules just lunging forth attacking you with a bite XD Max would definitely like that little easter egg, plus in the show Hercule does have that little dog that him and Buu took care of called Bee

DBZ Buu saga Bee

Benny the Dog by cwiet which looks pretty cool

I don't mean use this sprite for that I mean use this to make a Z2 version with like 4 sprites of animation (For the the tail I mean).
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:41:10 am by ZX2
#21  April 12, 2017, 06:45:21 am
It would be even cooler if you win with the dog item and Hercule picks up the dog and screams Let's GOOOOO!
Edit: Why not make it an extra winpose with Hercule posing with the dog in front of the camera's.
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:55:24 am by Memes never die
#22  April 12, 2017, 06:53:43 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Heh, yeah Bee is pretty cute. Currently he shows up in cameo only (look in the helicopter winpose). And while I don't think putting him in a capsule would work (remember, capsules only carry non-living or dead things), and can't think of a gameplay use for him off the top of my head outside of that, it is something to consider! I mean Miss Piiza shows up twice in Mr. Satan, why not Bee?!

ZX2

#23  April 12, 2017, 07:14:32 am
So we kill Benny shove him in the capsule where the cane dragon balls are stored to wish him back to life? lol XD I just really wanna see benny pop out of a capsule sorry.
#24  April 12, 2017, 09:58:01 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Holy crap!
The Lvl 3 was based on Heichachi's Tekken 5 Ending? Thats so awesome :D
New #25  April 12, 2017, 08:33:13 pm
When I close my eyes in my bed, I can still hear "SATAN ! SATAN ! SATAN !"...

Bomb trap:
Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:30:55 pm by Djoul