YesNoOk

What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster? (Read 18584 times)

Started by Capricorn Kid, March 07, 2020, 09:51:47 pm
Share this topic:
What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster?
#1  March 07, 2020, 09:51:47 pm
    • USA
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys look for when you decide what characters you add in your roster?
Re: What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster?
#2  March 07, 2020, 11:42:25 pm
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
Good sprites, great combo flow, smooth animations and for me anyway, visuals.

I love characters that flow really well but still manage to be balanced, sorta flashy and not over the top.

I'm very picky about what I put in my roster, but I at least give most creations a try.
#3  March 07, 2020, 11:45:21 pm
    • USA
#4  March 08, 2020, 12:02:02 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I mostly go after innovative characters that stand out or come from games I actually enjoy playing, which is probably why I find myself going for a lot of custom anime characters. IQS, Sudara13, Rakurai, 586, Muteki, Ikaruga, Otz-Kai, RicePigeon, OHMSBY and so on.
#5  March 08, 2020, 01:23:51 am
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
I mostly go after innovative characters that stand out or come from games I actually enjoy playing, which is probably why I find myself going for a lot of custom anime characters. IQS, Sudara13, Rakurai, 586, Muteki, Ikaruga, Otz-Kai, RicePigeon, OHMSBY and so on.

You basically listed all the creators I go for! Cept on my list, you're there too :)

I also aim for custom anime characters mostly. In my whole roster only my last row is for non-animeish characters like SF, KOF, DS etc.
#6  March 08, 2020, 01:36:53 am
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
I add characters to my roster that I think are fun, even if they don't meet the quality standards of most rosters. (I'm especially a sucker for characters from franchises I like)
Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
#7  March 08, 2020, 01:41:41 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
For me, it usually depends on why I'm adding the characters into my MUGEN in the first place: Do I wanna play as you or do I wanna fight you? If it's the former, it comes down to whether or not I like the character's design and playstyle, and if I can feel comfortable playing as that character. If it's the latter, the design still matters but now I'm also looking at the characters moves and their AI behavior: If they're too overpowered or their AI is cheap or otherwise unfun to fight, I don't keep them around.
#8  March 08, 2020, 02:55:37 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Characters with solid coding and standardized gameplay.

ATM I'm trying to make a KoF roster to use with ADD004 but I'm having quite of a hard time picking characters because KoF characters are all over the place with their gameplay. Makes me wish that KoF had its own "PoTS Style".
Lasagna
Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:56:58 am by -Ash-
#9  March 08, 2020, 03:44:20 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I look at hitsparks.

Usually, if they are alligned properly with each movements and hits then that means that the creator gave a damn about it.

Lol, that sums it up for me.
#10  September 25, 2020, 07:36:29 pm
    • USA
Whether they mesh with the type of roster I’m trying to build; this even applies to my general-purpose roster to an extent. The sprite and animation quality; I can accept poor quality if it matches the original material, isn’t too bad, or there’s no alternative. Gameplay quality is a big factor as well, as is the AI. Then, there’s who the character is; I have a predilection towards going for female representatives of obscure fighting games, and I feel the vast majority of characters from Western Animation in mugen are awful. I also tend to have multiple game/sprite versions of a character.
#11  September 29, 2020, 08:12:31 pm
Buffer system.
Proper hitboxes
Good moves.
proper frame data that makese sense or is from source.
Taking the best elements from source and the author adding their twist on the formula.
Low res sprites.
#12  September 30, 2020, 05:22:26 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
Decent sprites, good hit sparks and effects, good gameplay if not flawless, decently animated to not stick out too bad, no hi res and not too low res - something in between akin to cvs, no chibi or lolis, AI - no matter how well coded the character is, won't use it unless it has AI except for a few characters that I play as.
Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:50:45 am by YugaCurry
#13  October 01, 2020, 02:42:04 pm
Characters that play like from their source original fighting games, I don't mind edit as long as they play very well like true to their source game.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!