YesNoOk

Mugen can help you in REAL LIFE?!?! (Read 3565 times)

Started by Speedy9199, November 04, 2011, 02:46:40 am
Share this topic:
Mugen can help you in REAL LIFE?!?!
#1  November 04, 2011, 02:46:40 am
    • USA
    • speedy9199.webs.com/index.htm
PLEASE someone tell me you can put your mugen creation experience on your job resume when going into the field of animation, arts, video games creation etc. All the HARK WORK of a mugen creator can't be for NOTHING  :behead: Mugen can help you in College cuz for my college English class I wrote a paper about the mugen community in the past 2007-2008. I read it out loud to the class, everyone almost died of laughter, I got more friends, and I got THE highest grade possible for that assignment from my english teacher.  ;P

I am teh winnah  :kugoi:
The answer to most of your mugen problems is to know more math.

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!
Re: Mugen can help you in REAL LIFE?!?!
#2  November 04, 2011, 02:50:10 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Unless you have some impressive graphical assets (aka you are making significant amounts of frames from scratch) there is really little to nothing to be gained.
#3  November 04, 2011, 02:51:48 am
    • USA

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!
#4  November 04, 2011, 02:52:11 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
If you're a coder though (experienced or not), you'll just want to leave it at "familiarity with state machines."

Don't believe me, just ask alexlexus how well he's been doing after putting his "experience with MUGEN" as his resume and shit.

read: it's gotten him nowhere and it won't get you anywhere, in fact, you'll probably get laughed at again

now write me a fucking binary sort algorithm
#5  November 04, 2011, 02:54:56 am
    • USA
If you're a coder though (experienced or not), you'll just want to leave it at "familiarity with state machines."

Don't believe me, just ask alexlexus how well he's been doing after putting his "experience with MUGEN" as his resume and shit.

read: it's gotten him nowhere and it won't get you anywhere, in fact, you'll probably get laughed at again

Are you fucking SERIOUS someone ACTALLY put mugen on their resume?!?!

#6  November 04, 2011, 02:55:47 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
he showed his shitty game and gouken to capcom saying he had good ideas and wanted to work there and shit...
#7  November 04, 2011, 02:58:24 am
    • USA
he showed his shitty game and gouken to capcom saying he had good ideas and wanted to work there and shit...
LMAO give me link to that alexlexus shit for mugen. I got to see this. Well at least Mugen helps you in school, well at least for me. Seriously

#8  November 04, 2011, 03:04:26 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
it helped me in school because the basic concepts for programming were dead simple since i already knew most of them in my starting classes due to my experience with mugen with such tough concepts as if statements and setting variables and how the computer is a little retard so you have to be very specific with your instructions
#9  November 04, 2011, 03:11:17 am
    • USA
it helped me in school because the basic concepts for programming were dead simple since i already knew most of them in my starting classes due to my experience with mugen with such tough concepts as if statements and setting variables and how the computer is a little retard so you have to be very specific with your instructions

Oh GOD I know what you mean  >_< configuring shit can be such a pain in the ass.  >:(

BTW I still want that alexlexus link.

#10  November 04, 2011, 03:50:20 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I work as a computer programmer/software engineer and have been doing os for a few years; I always avoid mentioning mugen in job interviews or at anything work related; If I ever mention state machines I always change the subjects to compilers or input data validation.
#11  November 04, 2011, 05:10:56 am
  • You don't know enehthin.
Unfortunately no, there really isn't any sort of real life gain in mugen, which is why i've yet to even touch the character that I haven't even started on :P
Gameboy Scorpion - 4%

SUPER SECRET STAGE - 0% ;)
#12  November 04, 2011, 06:22:17 am
  • all is love in fair and war
YES, since I have made an original character I put it in my resume why not, it shows all the animations I drew from scratch, and personally I'm still happy with how they look, so from my point of view as digital artist and a freelancer who looks up for clients, if the project offered has some similarity with works I did in my mugen char, I show them some gif samples or a sprite sheet, I don't know if it would help in other fields of work though...

but of course I leave the monster rape compatibility frames out of the version I show in my portfolio.
#13  November 04, 2011, 10:35:00 am
    • Edtion.TK
Your example craps out on the subject  :P.

Mugen doesn't help you and because there are so many clones/rippers/unoriginality in mugen, talking about your experience with mugen isn't going to impress anyone that already knows what it is. Like Jesuszilla said, knowing how to code in mugen will just get you a slight head start over someone that has never seen any kind of digital code.

Now, I say Sir,'s example craps out because showing art/sound/design/etc. that you made for mugen CAN help you if you're doing something like for a game or something else related, but that content actually has nothing to do with mugen and so the element of mugen could be completely erased from that matter and no one would've noticed unless they wondered why the material was made.
#14  November 04, 2011, 10:45:48 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
On a related note, Reuben Kee had put Dragon Claw on his portfolio as part of his works to enter a graphic arts school.
He made videos presenting the creation of DC in 3DS Max and a Mugen video I think.

But yeah, only people like Reu or Borghi can possibly use Mugen in their CV in a way or another.
#15  November 04, 2011, 10:48:36 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
That's on the art front. It's more using mugen as a frontend FOR art. You could do the art without mugen.

Won't help you get a job, but it can come in under "other interests" if they're asked about. If nothing else it shows you can buckle down to a large project.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#16  November 04, 2011, 07:34:13 pm
    • USA
So let me get this straight. In order to go "somewhere" with mugen you have to be like Zeus, GOD of the GODS of the mugen community sprite artists and coders?

[size=2pt]FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK[/size]

#17  November 04, 2011, 07:39:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
In order to be a professional at something, your work has to be of professional quality, yes.
#18  November 04, 2011, 07:58:07 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
You gotta be the best in the west and a full assed Mugen PRO, like Rajaa.

GOH

#19  November 04, 2011, 09:41:09 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Rajaa is a full ass.
#20  November 04, 2011, 10:02:23 pm
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
I'm kind of curious on what exactly you wrote on that paper or project you did about mugen, the fact that you said everybody laughed at you just makes me want to know lol...
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#21  November 04, 2011, 10:12:53 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
That's on the art front. It's more using mugen as a frontend FOR art. You could do the art without mugen.

Won't help you get a job, but it can come in under "other interests" if they're asked about. If nothing else it shows you can buckle down to a large project.
Basically this, for either art or programming. As an Added interest or hobby which some companies look at, it is good to see that you can work on your own projects outside of work. Never throw the programming/coding portion in the main segment of a resume.

I'm kind of curious on what exactly you wrote on that paper or project you did about mugen, the fact that you said everybody laughed at you just makes me want to know lol...
They probably typed "Mugen" in Youtube and learned all they needed to know in order to find it laughable. OR maybe he pronounced it "Moojin" when he read it out to the class.
#22  November 04, 2011, 10:21:05 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
just redub it something less specific, interest in indie gaming, programming as a hobbie, etc. never as a main section of a resume, Ive had this discussion before with JZ I think.
#23  November 04, 2011, 10:22:11 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
well I made a few friends, I even get a sushi from a friend I knew in the forums xD

so, yeah, maybe not at a profesional way, but can help you
            Zorf Giudecca
#24  November 04, 2011, 10:43:43 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
It helped me, when I was applying for my internship. They had to choose between me and another guy. But I included some Goku animations and video's, and they said it were those things that made me come out on top :D I am doing internship there at the moment ;)  (www.sagramore.com)
#25  November 04, 2011, 11:17:57 pm
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
you can if you specialize in a graphical area. i have put  my original stuff in my portfolio and shown my stuff in my animation show reel. not only that but I have also introduced a lot of people from my 3d animation and games art design class to mugen. got a lot of chinese and japanese connections from it too!
#26  November 04, 2011, 11:33:51 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
You may get to meet people with great graphical skills and insight on coding...some friends here and there.

I just wouldn't put it in a resume, unless your project is original, waayyyy impressive and well done.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#27  November 05, 2011, 12:58:27 am
Now, I say Sir,'s example craps out because showing art/sound/design/etc. that you made for mugen CAN help you if you're doing something like for a game or something else related, but that content actually has nothing to do with mugen and so the element of mugen could be completely erased from that matter and no one would've noticed unless they wondered why the material was made.

it can be the vessel to showcase our work in game, how the animation goes, etc. which is important if we make proposal for clients who need a character for their game. the advantage is that in mugen we don't have to make all the game elements, and we can compare our work against some other samples like characters ripped from fighting games, to discuss the style or size, etc.
#28  November 05, 2011, 02:11:19 am
    • USA

On my paper I wrote about the mugen police vs Mugen warehouser war. I know that is VERY old stuff but that was the time when the mugen community was at its "lolzyiest"

#29  November 05, 2011, 03:33:35 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Are you retarded?
#30  November 05, 2011, 04:02:55 am
    • USA

#31  November 05, 2011, 04:16:19 am
    • Edtion.TK
it can be the vessel to showcase our work in game, how the animation goes, etc. which is important if we make proposal for clients who need a character for their game. the advantage is that in mugen we don't have to make all the game elements, and we can compare our work against some other samples like characters ripped from fighting games, to discuss the style or size, etc.

Yeah, and it could be gone and no one would have ever noticed  :P.

What's wrong with what I said?

You're talking about the mugen community and calling it mugen. The mugen community has NOTHING to do with mugen. The mugen community is just a bunch of fanboys/fangirls that like mugen and play&share each others content that they made/stole for mugen.

#32  November 05, 2011, 04:19:48 am
    • USA

What's wrong with what I said?

You're talking about the mugen community and calling it mugen. The mugen community has NOTHING to do with mugen. The mugen community is just a bunch of fanboys/fangirls that like mugen and play&share each others content that they made/stole for mugen.

There is a "difference" between the actual game and it's community? Are you kidding? There have NOTHING to do with each other? The entire community all has something in common, everyone at least does Mugen. Please explain  :P

#33  November 05, 2011, 04:25:25 am
    • Edtion.TK
Every one in the actual mugen community likes mugen, okay that's THEIR relationship to mugen.

What is MUGEN's relationship to the community?
#34  November 05, 2011, 04:31:01 am
    • USA
Every one in the actual mugen community likes mugen, okay that's THEIR relationship to mugen.

What is MUGEN's relationship to the community?

Ok what ever. I got an A on my college work and that's all that matters too me  ;P

#35  November 05, 2011, 04:32:41 am
There is a "difference" between the actual game and it's community? Are you kidding? There have NOTHING to do with each other?
writing about an activity and writing about the community surrounding it are two very different things
#36  November 05, 2011, 04:33:18 am
    • Edtion.TK
 :XD: you sure dropped that subject pretty quick.
#37  November 05, 2011, 04:36:39 am
    • USA
I still don't get what the hell you guys are talking about.   :dead:

#38  November 05, 2011, 04:44:31 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
ok i see where this is going

guys, don't reply to speedy anymore... he'd like that.

In other words, he's setting you all up for, "LOL I TROL U."
#39  November 05, 2011, 04:45:45 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Whatever you wrote on your paper that got you an A had nothing to do with Mugen.

The result would have been the same if you had wrote your paper based on any stupid drama from any other online community.
#40  November 05, 2011, 04:47:22 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
WHAT DID I SAY?
#41  November 05, 2011, 04:49:37 am
    • USA
Sigh, I originally made this thread as a joke (not in a troll way) as seen by the smiley face but I guess no one is getting any lolz  :(

#42  November 05, 2011, 04:50:55 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
And I was right.
#43  November 05, 2011, 04:51:34 am
    • Edtion.TK
@JZ
No, I think he actually meant it till that one guy kinda corrected him about it.

@Speedytronamatic9000
Mugen has never made any acknowledgements to ANYONE in the mugen community. If you run mugen, you will see that as far as mugen is concerned, elecbyte/kung fu man/kung fu man's clone/suave dude/kung fu man's girl friend are the only people that have ever existed and they're the only people that matter.

As far as the mugen community is concerned, without mugen, the community would be dead.

If you ever feel slightly wrong and think the other guy may actually be right, just deny it. Remember, you're always right even if you and everyone else knows/believes you're wrong, trust me, it's way more fun than just dropping something  ;P.

#44  November 05, 2011, 04:56:57 am
    • USA
#45  November 05, 2011, 04:58:05 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
I'm not called Jesuszilla for nothing...
#46  November 05, 2011, 06:02:35 am

what? I store my char with simple old empty mugen in file storage web, when someone need to see how the char's animation in game, I give them link.
#47  November 05, 2011, 06:10:08 am
    • Edtion.TK
And if you completely erase mugen from every disc and storage you have, then post the sprites/gifs somewhere, then post those links completely free of mugen, no one would ever have known that you even knew what mugen was.
Why? Because mugen takes no more of a part in creating images/sound than that guy that beat you up in the second grade  ;P.
[size=4pt]P.S. I don't care if there actually was a guy in second grade that beat you up >.>[/size]
#48  November 05, 2011, 06:36:49 am
And if you completely erase mugen from every disc and storage you have, then post the sprites/gifs somewhere, then post those links completely free of mugen, no one would ever have known that you even knew what mugen was.
Why? Because mugen takes no more of a part in creating images/sound than that guy that beat you up in the second grade  ;P.
[size=4pt]P.S. I don't care if there actually was a guy in second grade that beat you up >.>[/size]

a prerecorded animation gif, and something that follow your input are two different presentations.
I don't shout mugen around over and over in my resume, but I pre-install my char along with basic mugen just to do interactive test, for that purpose it helps. 
#49  November 05, 2011, 07:24:55 am
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
    • usetheforcehan.deviantart.com
I disagree if mugen is useless in the real life.

Mugen teaches us about the logic of computer programming in basic form, in a more FUN way. We learn the programming code through Playing and Creativity and NOT by listening to a boring lecture or reading a very thick theoretical book.

This is the thing with today educational method, they are doing it wrong. They force us to understand multiple fat books through monotonous lectures and prevent us from enjoy the very sweet nectar of computer programming.

They basically freeze our brain from using Creativity. We must first enjoy the subject before we became a professional in that subject.
#50  November 05, 2011, 07:59:14 am
    • Edtion.TK
I'm really interested in knowing your credentials/experience in other script/written/programming/coding fields outside of mugen  :blank:.
#51  November 05, 2011, 08:04:26 am
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
My expertise is in Mobile Programming. Especially in Android.

But i'm also capable using other programming language if my work/jobs demand it.
#52  November 05, 2011, 08:25:53 am
    • Edtion.TK
Interesting.
I don't remember when it was that I started learning mugen code, so I can't really speak from a beginners pov, but to me learning how to code in mugen is "easy" not "fun". It's a lot more simple than deeper programming-and-the-like engines/systems/etc., but you still have to read and that's a real bummer to me  :gonk:.

I haven't survived long enough in a hard-programming language(C++/C#) without pausing it forever to really say anything about them, but learning them would've been just as "fun" as any other language if I was being taught how to make a game while I was doing it (I did in XNA/C#, but they left me to hang really quick >.>).
#53  November 05, 2011, 08:37:01 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Mugen code is fun in the sense that for about 2 minutes effort you can look at what you've coded in game. There is an instant "hit" if you like to see what you just did works. Real code can often take a lot longer before you have something neat looking to say "look what i did" about.

Still wouldn't really get you a coding job like understanding C++ and oracle would, but is a nice aside and the theories learned carry over, even if they code and syntax do not.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#54  November 05, 2011, 08:47:53 am
    • Edtion.TK
#55  November 05, 2011, 09:02:50 am
for people who don't have any interest in coding, and only did it because it has to be done, mugen coding was anything but fun to me, before ff I mistyped a lot forgot to add space or something else and had to trace back what was the mistake, and it was frustrating more than anything else.

it was rewarding perhaps since it shows in game immediately, but if I had somebody who was willing to lift the burden from me I was more than happy to give him the honor to translate my ideas  into lines of those codes
#56  November 05, 2011, 09:16:20 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand

#57  November 05, 2011, 09:28:44 am
    • Thailand
#58  November 05, 2011, 09:43:16 am
    • Edtion.TK
And grow up.

I was mainly talking about the pill. I never heard of it till that guy that the big mercenary guy with the white hair from Metalocalypse was torchering, and then laughed and said he just swallowed a Cyanide pill and then died.
I saw your name and remembered that, went to wikipedia and that's the only kind of thing I can think of that would make you use the name "Cyanide".
Wikipedia.
The only thing I see on Cyanide is poison. Did poison have anything to do with you naming your account that, or did you just name it that because you liked the sound of it?
#59  November 05, 2011, 09:57:19 am
dude ...  o_O
that sounded like question to ask to a boy band member for teen girl magazine.
#60  November 05, 2011, 10:27:26 am
    • Edtion.TK
Or.....asking a rock band about how the band 'Poison' influenced their music  :S?

I don't know anything about boy bands except South Park and The Simpsons did it and nsync was a boy band  :P......and that I don't really like any of that kind of music that I've heard.
#61  November 05, 2011, 01:39:04 pm
    • Thailand
Stop making topics tangential. Just stop.
#62  November 05, 2011, 03:20:23 pm
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
My expertise is in Mobile Programming. Especially in Android.
:D

I just started exactly that. Still learning the basics, though. Will you be my Cyanide?
Android programming language is basically a Java + XML combine.

You need to learn Java programming first because it have a same structure as Android (Android is based on Java language). While the XML is easy to master (for me btw  :P) so focus your studying to Java. Android also use SQL as one of their database system, so learn that also if you can.

I mostly learn Android through other people Android applications. I try the application then trying to figure out what make it ticking. And also watch video tutorials from Android community or the web.

Cynide is the God of Codes. I do not dare to usurp his throne.  :-X
#63  November 05, 2011, 03:55:31 pm
    • Thailand
I'm sure Cyanide isn't the god of all coding languages. With that said, though, you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. =p

I'm pretty sharp, so I'll get the hang of it eventually, probably even without any type of tutor besides those static tutorials.
#64  November 06, 2011, 03:04:10 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Rajaa is good at learning. Even when his questions are made unintelligible by shyte english.

;P

#65  November 06, 2011, 11:03:17 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I bet Rajaa is not good enough of a learner to code in Malbolge. ::)
#66  November 06, 2011, 10:46:34 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
What the fuck is this.
#67  November 06, 2011, 11:38:30 pm
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#68  November 07, 2011, 09:27:15 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
WTF that sounds like a pain in the ass to learn...and to understand